PDA

View Full Version : Toyota parts and 4Runner

Konj
06-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Hey I am wanting to get my first car and I wanted something descent. I also like SUV's so I thought about it and I kinda like the 1990's Toyota 4Runner. The car's seem good, popular, and hard to find for sale and it seems that there value is kept pretty good. There's this one at the auction I was looking at its a 1995 4Runner Dark Green Limited Edition has leather inside and really nice interior. The problem is it has 250K Miles. I poped the hood the engine has lotsa work done to it cause it looks BRAND new, engine bay is spotless. No rust or anything. The guy is asking 5500 is this too much? I was thinking of making him an offer of 4500. Also are toyota parts expensive in Canada?

AE92_TreunoSC
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
5500 is good for a 95, even with the miles considered.

A used engine would only cost 900$ + 8 hours labour.

So if you got it for 4500, and had to put an engine in it, I think you'd still have a good deal on your hands.

I've seen many 4runners go past 500,000kms on the original engine, so dont let the miles intimidate you too much :D

japancar
06-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Most Japanese cars are stretching their legs at 200,000kms and can go for at least another 100-150,000kms. Most people get rid of their cars before that happens.

I'd say go for it! It should be fine, as long as you do proper upkeep.

CelicaST-162
06-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
5500 is good for a 95, even with the miles considered.

A used engine would only cost 900$ + 8 hours labour.

So if you got it for 4500, and had to put an engine in it, I think you'd still have a good deal on your hands.

I've seen many 4runners go past 500,000kms on the original engine, so dont let the miles intimidate you too much :D

Sweet jesus 8 hrs for labour? Where at?

Watch out for leaky headgaskets, these trucks have an issue with them sometimes. Make sure everything works especially the rear window (it slides up and down). Parts arent too expensive at the dealer and it depends what it is. Sure you can buy parts from autovalue but the quality won't be at par with OEM parts. Any questions you can feel free to PM me.

a social dsease
06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
I love the interior on the mid 90's limited models, very nice. All around good vehicle. I'd say go for it.

Konj
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Yes the interior on these models is very very nice that is why I am likeing this car. That used engine for 900$ + labour sounds reasonable for a swap I am considering doing that if I buy the car and start having engine problems cause the body is in gread condition. And tnx CelicaST-162 you will be hearing from me... cause I know nothing about Toyota's and japanese imports doing as much research as I can.

Sapepr33
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
$900 + 8hrs labour for a new 3VZE...you either have the greatest parts guy on the planet or are...

I had a '92 Runner, and really miss it. $5500 for 250K miles seems high, I sold my '92 with 315K kms for $3800.

The Interior is really nice, they are fun to drive and good all round vehicles. But there are some warnings: they don't have a ton of get up and go. The V6 is bullet proof, but isn't overly peppy, it won't throw you back in your seat by any means. Replacement parts are available, and not overly pricey, and you can get some good priced stuff out of the US. Downside too is that there arn't really any worth while "performance" parts for it, if you want more out of it, you swap in a different motor. They are also a bit on the thirsty side, if I stayed at the speed limit, my '92 with 33x12.5s and stock 4.56 gears was getting 17mpg. I threw on my 31's and was flirting with 20mpg. At 120-130 range, I was down in the 15mpg area, this was pretty common for city too.

Make sure the Headgasket has been done, and if it hasn't check if it's still eligible for the recall. Same with the Relay Rod recall.