PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo beats Mercer in first MMA fight

tictactoe2004
06-24-2007, 02:01 PM
For those that don't know who he is..

http://www.kimbo-fights.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbo_Slice

Here's the fight from last night.. it was over fast.

http://my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=319282

I know lots of other fighters could probably kick his ass, but man this guy is a machine.. just one bad ass fighter. Something about him, i just love watching his fights.

beecue
06-24-2007, 03:42 PM
not bad .. i need to find a good quality video of that .. or see if there is a replay on ppv

dj_rice
06-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Not bad but he doesnt have the stamina to last a long fight...after 2-3 rounds hes done...

slammed_cb7
06-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Kimbo win by tapout!~!?? Never thought i'd see that.

choirboy
06-26-2007, 02:42 AM
Keep in mind, he made Ray Mercer tap out. Hardly a veteran MMA fighter. Mercer is a boxer.

pinoyhero
06-26-2007, 06:09 AM
DOesn't quite legitimize him but he'll get some love in the MMA community just for the hype alone, time to step up to something a bit better next ... but if I were him i'd take it slow to avoid getting punished quick by a Jeff Monson or somebudy with some real good skill.

eb0i
06-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
but if I were him i'd take it slow to avoid getting punished quick by a Jeff Monson or somebudy with some real good skill.

I hope he takes it as fast as possible so someone can beat some humility into him.

p.s. I'm not a fan of Kimbo.

Kartelli
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
yeah this guy has been fed alot of amature fighters. If he thinks he can step up with the big leagues...

insert fedor here... teach him a lesson.

Mr_John
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Kartelli
yeah this guy has been fed alot of amature fighters. If he thinks he can step up with the big leagues...

insert fedor here... teach him a lesson.

He's been fed a lot of amateur fighters because he is one himself. Watching this fight I'm actually VERY impressed with his training.

He comes out swinging hard like an animal which will obviously be extremely bad as the fight goes on.
However he puts his opponent into the fence and throws some nice combos into the head and body. The impressive part is when he puts Mercer into a Thai Clinch and throws some nice knees. He also goes for a lot of take downs and eventually gets a nice deep gullotine choke hold. Mind you this is a guy who only knew how to street brawl.

edit: Kimbo is training with Bas Rutten and will be fighting Tank Abbott next.

slammed_cb7
06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Last time I saw Tank Abbot fight he got his ass handed to him, a perfect match for Kimbo~!

Kartelli
06-27-2007, 01:37 PM
mind you, he just fought a boxer who has no takedown defence, 0 ground work, and probably has never encountered a thai clinch.

Its putting somebody with 15% mma skill against somebody who is a linear fighter (1 style, boxing).

Yes, a win is a win, i completely agree, but put him against mark hunt, munson, arlovski, etc. see what happens. hell, anybody with good leg kicks / jiu jitsu background.

I have a feeling kimbo is a 1 round fighter, will gas and be a standing target.

smontyLS1
06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
kimbo vs. crocop ftw

GQNammer
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Kimbo.....i believe I remember a video of him in a street fight. Kimbo punched the guy and his opponent's eye was hanging out his eye socket. Pretty gross.

Mr_John
06-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Kartelli
mind you, he just fought a boxer who has no takedown defence, 0 ground work, and probably has never encountered a thai clinch.

Its putting somebody with 15% mma skill against somebody who is a linear fighter (1 style, boxing).

Yes, a win is a win, i completely agree, but put him against mark hunt, munson, arlovski, etc. see what happens. hell, anybody with good leg kicks / jiu jitsu background.

I have a feeling kimbo is a 1 round fighter, will gas and be a standing target.

Thats what is impressive. Kimbo went out of his normal self to learn something more than just throwing fists. Mercer was the one who talked trash and challenged Kimbo to a mma fight. Kimbo's preperation was much better and this was shown.

Of course Kimbo will get destroyed against pros such as Hunt and etc. They're professional fighters who have been training for years. Kimbo is a noob whom just began his career in mma. You cant compare noobs to pros. Thats just being absurd. Especially with a guy who has no background in any fighting discipline except jailhouse fighting.