PDA

View Full Version : Newbie quesiton: LSD

Team_Mclaren
06-18-2003, 11:29 PM
can someone plz explain to me what LSD is? and whats the different between a regular tranny and a LSD one? what does it do?? is it better to have it?:dunno:

thx in advance!

Zephyr
06-18-2003, 11:39 PM
go 2 howstuffworks.com and search it, very comprehensive with pictures!

thich
06-18-2003, 11:48 PM
LSD doesn't have much (or anything for that matter) to do with a tranny. It has to do with the differential... go check out howstuffworks like zephyr said....

^SkylinE^
06-19-2003, 12:57 AM
An LSD Makes it so that power goes from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip. A normal tranny sends the power to the wheel that is sliping. I could be wrong but i think thats write!
SO LSD is very important for higher horse power cars beccause you will get greater wheel spin when racing and with the LSD you will get more of your power to the ground!
Hope this is write and i hope it helps!

GTS Jeff
06-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
An LSD Makes it so that power goes from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip. A normal tranny sends the power to the wheel that is sliping. I could be wrong but i think thats write!
SO LSD is very important for higher horse power cars beccause you will get greater wheel spin when racing and with the LSD you will get more of your power to the ground!
Hope this is write and i hope it helps! thats not really "right". and neither is your spelling haha

anyway, howstuffworks.com has a good explanation

4wheeldrift
06-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
Hope this is write and i hope it helps! Somewhat right. An LSD will lock the drive wheels together under acceleration and depending on how its set up deceleration so they spin at the same rate, instead of all the power going to the one wheel that has no grip (path of least resistance).

Team_Mclaren
06-19-2003, 03:40 PM
i've read the thing on the site...
so it mainly gives you more traction when one of your wheel is spinn without any traction. Since it locks both of your wheels together during acceleration.

So from what i get from this, LSD does help your car perfromance wise???

88CRX
06-19-2003, 03:48 PM
So from what i get from this, LSD does help your car perfromance wise???

yup it sure does....

B18C
06-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
thats not really "right". and neither is your spelling haha

What do you mean? His expaination is pretty much covers it in simplistic terms.

Ben
06-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by B18C

What do you mean? His expaination is pretty much covers it in simplistic terms.
Yes but Jeff doesn't allow for any half answers. If you get any point of it wrong or fail to cover a topic in full detail he will be sure to point that out and make fun. Cause EVERYONE on a car foum should know EVERYTHING about cars.

GTS Jeff
06-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by B18C

What do you mean? His expaination is pretty much covers it in simplistic terms. i dont think so. my idea of a simplistic explanation of how lsd works would be as follows:

basically the engine feeds power tranny. tranny feeds to transaxle, transaxle feeds to differential, differential feeds to wheels.

a closed diff will just send power 50-50 to both wheels at all times. this means that both wheels always get power, which is good. however, both wheels are also always spinning at the same speed, which is bad cuz a car cant turn properly if its wheels are spinning at the same speed. this is why most cars have an open differential.

an open diff will just send power thru the path of least resistance and it allows one wheel to spin faster than another. on dry pavement, both wheels have about the same grip, so both wheels will get about the same power. but when cornering hard, the inside wheel has less grip, so the diff will start sending it more power, and your inside wheel starts to spin freely and your outside wheel doesnt do shit. or on a hard launch when ure exceeding traction....u usually only spin one wheel whichj means ure only getting half the amount of traction that u should be getting...

heres where an lsd comes in. the lsd will act as an open diff under most conditions....allowing both wheels to spin at different rates...to a point. so u can still turn and stuff, but before one wheel breaks loose, it will lock up and turn into a closed diff, so that u arent sending all your power to 1 wheel.

there are a few different kinds of lsds....some true lsds that replace your oem open diff....some kits that turn your open diff into an lsd...and some other thing called a torsen which they use on hummers and shiet...

GTS Jeff
06-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Yes but Jeff doesn't allow for any half answers. If you get any point of it wrong or fail to cover a topic in full detail he will be sure to point that out and make fun. Cause EVERYONE on a car foum should know EVERYTHING about cars. :werd:

hey...eat a dick

Team_Mclaren
06-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i dont think so. my idea of a simplistic explanation of how lsd works would be as follows:

basically the engine feeds power tranny. tranny feeds to transaxle, transaxle feeds to differential, differential feeds to wheels.

a closed diff will just send power 50-50 to both wheels at all times. this means that both wheels always get power, which is good. however, both wheels are also always spinning at the same speed, which is bad cuz a car cant turn properly if its wheels are spinning at the same speed. this is why most cars have an open differential.

an open diff will just send power thru the path of least resistance and it allows one wheel to spin faster than another. on dry pavement, both wheels have about the same grip, so both wheels will get about the same power. but when cornering hard, the inside wheel has less grip, so the diff will start sending it more power, and your inside wheel starts to spin freely and your outside wheel doesnt do shit. or on a hard launch when ure exceeding traction....u usually only spin one wheel whichj means ure only getting half the amount of traction that u should be getting...

heres where an lsd comes in. the lsd will act as an open diff under most conditions....allowing both wheels to spin at different rates...to a point. so u can still turn and stuff, but before one wheel breaks loose, it will lock up and turn into a closed diff, so that u arent sending all your power to 1 wheel.

there are a few different kinds of lsds....some true lsds that replace your oem open diff....some kits that turn your open diff into an lsd...and some other thing called a torsen which they use on hummers and shiet...

WOW!!! thats an amazin answer!!!
:thumbsup:
thx