PDA

View Full Version : paint jobs

stevescivic
06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
How much do you guys pay for a complete "back to factory" paint job?

My 1990 CRX today got quoted $6200 after taxes to do everything that came painted from the factory. I trust the guy I got the quote from but I just wanted to see what others here have paid to get their cars refinished. I do have a bunch of little dings and dents so I can understand how that would need to be all fixed up for a new paint job to look decent. In that quote there is also some fiberglass type repair for my driver's side rear quarter panel (famous honda rust spot).

If I remove all removable items such as bumpers, headlights, door moldings and mirrors I can save an additional $700 after taxes.

I plan to keep this car forever (if I can that is) and I have not modded the car at all. Its very clean and in near mint condition (even the existing paint is really good, just not consistent in color).

Thoughts on this?
Thanks

Isaiah
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
That quote sounds like more than the car's value. In the event that the car is involved in any sort of accident, it is likely that it would be written off (due to the fact that it's already 17 years old and probably has relatively high mileage) and you would lose your $6200 investment. I wouldn't even consider a job like that on a car worth less than $15-$20k.

gofastmerc
06-25-2007, 11:14 PM
The price sounds OK.

Not sure about the "fiberglass repair"

If you are truely going to be spendng some coin on this car because you're going to keep it, get some patches welded in.

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Price sounds about right for a good repaint imo.

Don't like the sounds of a fiberglass repair at all though. If rust is an issue the solution is new sheet metal.

Edit - and if you want to spend mad $ on your car then do it. Fixing up your car is never about return on investment, it's about having a car you love and enjoying it.

97'Scort
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
That's about what I got on a quote to re-spray my bimmer. Mine was from a hot rod shop too, so I don't think yours is far off.

stevescivic
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I think that paying $5500 for a paint job on my CRX is a little steep since the car is not exactly all that big. To be quite honest its really 3/4 of a typical car so I would've thought that perhaps the cost would be a bit cheaper than what I was quoted. Not to say that body shops shouldn't charge that rate, it just caught me a little off guard.

So what if this:

If I spend the $5500-$6200 to get my car completely refinished to like new and my interior is mint and my mileage is low for its age (188, 000kms) would getting a appraisal readjust the value to reflect its condition?

I would hate to dump this money into the car, pay to have it appraised and then find out that it gets written off b/c of a minor fender bender.

I love this car too much to give it up

JRSC00LUDE
06-26-2007, 05:38 PM
I understand what you are saying but all the size difference means (imo) is a bit less material and a bit less time to prep and spray it. The bulk of the expense is still there as you aren't doing anything different than other bigger two doors, just working with smaller pieces.

A lot of us will lose $$$ if our car gets written off, it's a gamble you have to take to make the car you love everything you want it to be!

:thumbsup:

Crymson
06-26-2007, 05:49 PM
YAh, a fresh coat of paint, on a 17 year old car isn't going appraised back at any dollar for dollar value. It might bump your car's condition from fair to good. If you write it off though, you're eating the cost for paint. Why don't you buy 2 more crx's instead of painting the one you have?

Spoons
06-26-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by stevescivic
I think that paying $5500 for a paint job on my CRX is a little steep since the car is not exactly all that big. To be quite honest its really 3/4 of a typical car so I would've thought that perhaps the cost would be a bit cheaper than what I was quoted. Not to say that body shops shouldn't charge that rate, it just caught me a little off guard.

So what if this:

If I spend the $5500-$6200 to get my car completely refinished to like new and my interior is mint and my mileage is low for its age (188, 000kms) would getting a appraisal readjust the value to reflect its condition?

I would hate to dump this money into the car, pay to have it appraised and then find out that it gets written off b/c of a minor fender bender.

I love this car too much to give it up

When cars get written off, they don't take your appraised value. They usually go by the black book value of the car. Correct me if wrong cause I'm not 100%.

thinmyster
06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

When cars get written off, they don't take your appraised value. They usually go by the black book value of the car. Correct me if wrong cause I'm not 100%.
Why would you get it appraised then and pay higher premiums?

Spoons
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster

Why would you get it appraised then and pay higher premiums?

Which is why I stated correct me if wrong, and that I was not 100%

stevescivic
06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
yeah I think I will just fix the rear quarter panels and leave it alone. I can't afford to pay that much nor do I believe that it will truly add any true market value to the car.

The existing paint actually is quite good still. Shiny and not even oxidized. Just an inconsistent hue b/c the previous owner got into a minor fender bender and the shop that did the work didn't make it 100% perfect.

I just figured b/c my car has no rust and is clean clean clean that it would be worth fixing it once and for all.

oh well, I can only dream I guess.

Spoons
06-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by stevescivic
yeah I think I will just fix the rear quarter panels and leave it alone. I can't afford to pay that much nor do I believe that it will truly add any true market value to the car.

The existing paint actually is quite good still. Shiny and not even oxidized. Just an inconsistent hue b/c the previous owner got into a minor fender bender and the shop that did the work didn't make it 100% perfect.

I just figured b/c my car has no rust and is clean clean clean that it would be worth fixing it once and for all.

oh well, I can only dream I guess.

then why don't you just get the spot where it was in a fender bender repainted and blended in?

Jeff Lange
06-28-2007, 04:27 AM
If you really want to keep the car, and actually have it look very nice, etc, get it painted. That being said, after the painting is done, your car isn't worth what it is now, plus the cost of painting, just what it would be worth to find another one in similar condition.

Check into what your car's value is right now, and consider what you're willing to spend on having it look nice.

It's all up to you.

Also, that price sounds about right, perhaps a bit higher than you need to spend, but if there is bodywork, that adds to it pretty quick versus just quick prep and paint.