PDA

View Full Version : G37 335i Comparo from Motortrend

schocker
06-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I just came across this article comparing the G37 and 335i, while both automatics, quite interesting.
ARTICLE (http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/260025)

C4S
06-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Expected result .. :D

As they tested, 335i is a better car, it is faster (0.3 second stock to stock .. auto) it is better handling, it is better on gas (15%), it is also a cleaner car (less emission) .. and to most people, 335i coupe is a better looking car!

But is is also $9,000 US more .. :eek: :eek: ( app. $13 - 15K more here )

So .. if you want a better car .. spend more !! Simple !! :rofl:

Just like compare a Boxster to a 911 Cab .. $65K vs $130k .... 911 is 0.9 second quicker .. worth it ? :dunno:

ricefarmer
06-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Expected result .. :D

As they tested, 335i is a better car, it is faster (0.3 second stock to stock .. auto) it is better handling, it is better on gas (15%), it is also a cleaner car (less emission) .. and to most people, 335i coupe is a better looking car!

But is is also $9,000 US more .. :eek: :eek: ( app. $13 - 15K more here )

So .. if you want a better car .. spend more !! Simple !! :rofl:

Just like compare a Boxster to a 911 Cab .. $65K vs $130k .... 911 is 0.9 second quicker .. worth it ? :dunno:

You sound pretty disapointed the bimmer got knocked off its pedstal. The Infinity was actually tested to have much better fuel economy, held a mere .1g more when tested for road holding ability and is marginally faster. We are talking less than a car length in a straight line race.

Who says its a better car? Especially for that price gap

I'd have to say the the BMW interior is more preferable, but the Boxster<911 comparison is hardly applicable.

95EagleAWD
06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
I'd still take the BMW.

Why?

Because it's not a Nissan.

spyce
06-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I'd still take the BMW.

Why?

Because it's not a Nissan.

:werd:

not the fact thats its a nissan. more so the fact i like the looks of the 335i better.
plus its got a kickass engine :D

FiveFreshFish
06-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer
The Infinity was actually tested to have much better fuel economy,

Since when does 18.4 mpg beat 21.7 mpg?

ricefarmer
06-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Since when does 18.4 mpg beat 21.7 mpg?

When I can't read any more I guess I should just go to bed...

Xtrema
06-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I think when dyno'ed, 335 comes up on top.

And going thru the list, 335 is better in every category even just slightly.

Comparing body styles, 335 wins.

hjr
06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
well if you had read the article, the main problem they had was that the bmw kept boiling the oil. engineering problem or on off mistake? who knows, but its not a good thing either way

topher91
06-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by hjr
well if you had read the article, the main problem they had was that the bmw kept boiling the oil. engineering problem or on off mistake? who knows, but its not a good thing either way

Ya that was a huge issue brought up by 335i owners. The next model should come equipped withn and oil cooler, and I did read somewhere that BMW maybe offering it to current 335i owners to be installed by the dealers. But its not confirmed.

Neil4Speed
06-26-2007, 01:14 PM
300lb/ft at 1400RPM? Spectacular on the BMW.

Revhard
06-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Explain how the 0-100 was 1.2 seconds faster than the g37, yet the 1/4 mile was only 3/10ths?
Once the beamer comes on boil, it seems there is no comparison in the 0-whatever mph times.
Better mileage, marginally better looks.
Hmmm, seems like it's close for overall value.

Hollywood
06-27-2007, 11:48 AM
335....no lsd.... :( sigh...

For the price difference there should be an lsd. To have 300hp/tq and no lsd is automotive sacrelige!

DonJuan
06-27-2007, 11:33 PM
The 335i is currently the best looking car that BMW has for sale. And it's still NASTY :barf: I'd buy it over the G37 but I'd also have to buy some big shades, a hoodie, and grow a beard so no one recognizes me.

Xtrema
09-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Little update as I did my own comparo back to back.

G37 isn't as close as the Motortrend had me believe.

Interior:

Dash:
G37 wins, material is better, layout is good. The big color LCD screen is there to display all information even without the Nav package and is pleasant to look at, as long as it's not bright out. During my test drive, 1/2 the time the screen is washed out from sunlight and the brightness is already set to maximum.

BMW seems dated in comparison even with iDrive.

Seats:
G37 wins. Both are comfortable and supportive but BMW's seat workmanship is something you would expect from a Civic or CSX, not a $60K+ car. But that seatbelt delivery system on the BMW is awesome.

Back Seats:
335 wins, I'm 5'8" and I had a hard time fitting into the G37 in the back. My head is about 1/5 way down on the rear window. There's no way anyone want to spend more than 15mins back there unless you're a midget or a kid.

Trunk Space:
335 wins since it doesn't carry a spare. It will easily swallow 2 golf bags. To my surprise, G37's trunk is only a bit bigger than 350Z roadster's with those annoying sticker teaching you how to fit 2 golf bags.

Exterior

Slight win for 335. I find the new tail end for G37 not as good as last gen. Such a HUGE boot and still no trunk space? Unforgivable.

Driving Dynamic:

Without a doubt 335. The engines are mostly identical but you can tell easily that 335 definitely understated its numbers.

But what I can't get over is how agile the 335 feel and how clumsy the G37 is. G37 is only slightly better than the current Altima in handling. And it feel bloated even with SUPER stiff sport suspension. That suspension added a bone jarring ride and even worst for the rear passengers with handling benefits you may only see on the tracks. Combine with the low roof in the back, I almost crack my head open when the car went over bumps on Deerfoot.

Even with $10K more, 335 is a better coupe than G37.

3SeriesMayo
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
I liked the G35's when the first came out. They had a new look thast really caught the eye. This plus their performance numbers were comparable to the E46 330 of the day.

But the G37 just hasn't cut it. IMO, it's looks are starting to look cheap, like the sort of "cool" looking car you would expect Hyundai to be pumping out to attract teenage girls ie. Tibourons, Sunfires...

Anyways the point is I find the look of the G's to be an overdone fad. The BMW's can get this way as well but that's just because their looks get repilicated so frequently. As well they are all to common with the milfs in this wealthy ass city. But that's just my opinion.

As far as performance goes, it doesn't matter what my opinion is. The BMW destroys the G37. Without a doubt way more fun to drive as well, less the LSD:banghead: . Anyone arguing that you could just supercharge the G37 to account for the 9k or whatever price difference. Well say goodbye to your warranty, reliability,fuel economy...and don't forget that the car doesn't hold it's value worth shit anyways...then again say goodbye to the BMW when it gets a CHEAP Vishnu tuned PROcede, keeps everything, even somewhat decent fuel economy, and is just gone. (0-60 4.3s=Gallardo...before V2.0)

I thought I read on another forum that the oil temp problems were only on the late 2006 models and that they had fixed it. But i could be wrong. Regardless, IMO the 335i is by far the top vehicle in it's class. And unless the other manufacturers can pull something out of their ass, it will likely stay like this for the next couple years. 350hp V8 S5 even lost to this little beasty in the 5th Gear shootout.

Xtrema
10-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Oil temp problem on 335i is long gone with new cooler. One of the reason you don't want 1st model year cars.

gpomp
10-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
[B]Seats:
G37 wins. Both are comfortable and supportive but BMW's seat workmanship is something you would expect from a Civic or CSX, not a $60K+ car. But that seatbelt delivery system on the BMW is awesome.

did you drive a 335 with or without the sport package? i find the bmw sport seats are nicer than the g37 seats whereas the bmw's without the sport package come with the shitty seats.

if i were buying the car solely on exterior design and price, i'd pick the g37. but i'm not and 335 is definitely the better car. and it's not even close... even if i factor in the huge price gap.

mekeni
10-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Oil temp problem on 335i is long gone with new cooler. One of the reason you don't want 1st model year cars.

:werd:

Xtrema
10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

did you drive a 335 with or without the sport package? i find the bmw sport seats are nicer than the g37 seats whereas the bmw's without the sport package come with the shitty seats.

I was told it's the Sport package with leather (not leatherette). The uneven workmanship on stitches and where pieces meet stunts me. The quality of leather is also way worst than G37.

But it is a BMW after all. I guess people are looking for driving experience and not quality.

TNationFTW
10-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I'd get a 335i until it is off-warranty (or 5xxx km before it expires)
than I'd drop it SO fast
BMW's are very very unreliable.

The G35 will be easier on your wallet and time at the end of the day for maintainenece

gpomp
10-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by TNationFTW
I'd get a 335i until it is off-warranty (or 5xxx km before it expires)
than I'd drop it SO fast
BMW's are very very unreliable.

The G35 will be easier on your wallet and time at the end of the day for maintainenece i retract my previous post, i would definitely buy a fake m3 over both these cars.