PDA

View Full Version : Deerfoot Trail RANT

mdeluxe
06-26-2007, 08:32 AM
I can't believe how slow Deerfoot is at anytime of the day. Even a car on the side of the road will create traffic. I just dont want this to turn into a city like Montreal where it takes 2hours to get to the other side of the city.

Yesterday, I was coming home from 32ave and took over an hour and a half to get to the south all because the turn-off for anderson from Deerfoot, this was around 5pm and 6:30pm. I figured to give some time because it IS rush hour, but an hour and a half PLUS is exessive. It was one lane gone (which pretty much nobody uses because theres another lane next to it) and it was backed up way passed 16th ave =S . Wow, just couldn't believe how crazy it has been for the last month or so.

Plus, I think paving the Deerfoot during peak drive-home periods is insanity, cutting it down to one lane is probably the worst idea ever.

Anways, thought I'd give my two-sense in about how much Deerfoot is rough to drive on (honestly can't wait for Ring Road) and if there is another thread on this, sorry.

teggypimp95
06-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Well you cant exactly pave it when cars are on it? So of corse its going to be slow, but the deerfoot needs to be paved bad so "short term pain for long term gain" lol

rc2002
06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Haha are you new to Calgary? I avoid Deerfoot at all costs (especially rush hour).

A ring road would be nice. That's the only thing about Edmonton that I like - their city planners are on the ball. Their new Anthony Henday freeway makes it easy and fast to get anywhere.

van
06-26-2007, 08:43 AM
There is always bumper-to-bumper traffic from 3:30pm until 6:30pm and sometimes even until 7:00pm.

Glad I start work before everyone else (by choice) and leave work before everyone else (the pro in coming in early). I never get hit with traffic ever and most importantly I avoid Deerfoot at all costs during those times.

teggypimp95
06-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah the ring road will be good, i leave sorta by it and its coming along nicely. Its going to be huge.

mdeluxe
06-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Haha are you new to Calgary? I avoid Deerfoot at all costs (especially rush hour).

A ring road would be nice. That's the only thing about Edmonton that I like - their city planners are on the ball. Their new Anthony Henday freeway makes it easy and fast to get anywhere.

No Ive been here since 1995, its just 10 times worse these days

mdeluxe
06-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Yeah the ring road will be good, i leave sorta by it and its coming along nicely. Its going to be huge.

I know tottaly pumped for it! :thumbsup: I think construction is in progress... i dunno though

Jay911
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
I drove that same stretch about 20 minutes ahead of you. I went from 32 to Glenmore and it was fine until the curve right by the Inglewood golf course where everything stopped so suddenly I feared someone was going to nail me from behind. :eek: Then we crawled at about 5-10kph from there till I got off at Glenmore.

A lot of the problem in this city is people who won't get off the brake and get moving. When a light turns green, if I'm the 5th car in line, it shouldn't take me 45 to 90 seconds to get to, let alone thru, the intersection. Step on it and go. And if you're behind someone who moves, step on it and go. Don't look up from your newspaper/PSP/crackberry/whatever, go "OMG where did that car go?.. Oh.. the light's green.. maybe I should go.. yeah, that's it, I think I'll go!.." And then move on 15 seconds later. STEP ON IT AND GO!

silver_gs-R
06-26-2007, 09:27 AM
^^^thats actually very true, green light means GO, not wait a few seconds.^^^

dericer
06-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by silver_gs-R
^^^thats actually very true, green light means GO, not wait a few seconds.^^^

http://www.cityofmesa.org/police/traffic/camera_images/University_LindsayAccident2006_08_17_413pm3.jpg

I hope you wait a few seconds atleast?

adam c
06-26-2007, 09:36 AM
wow thats a horrible photoshop

wheres the driver of the car?

dericer
06-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by adam c
wow thats a horrible photoshop

wheres the driver of the car?

That's not a photoshop. I think the Driver's flying into the rear in that pic (behind the B pillar).

http://www.cityofmesa.org/police/traffic/redlight_photos.aspx

adam c
06-26-2007, 09:59 AM
hmm but it looks so fake...

anyways..

i propose they ban anything with more then 4 wheels from driving in the left lane of deerfoot.. and take people out of their cars and beat them if they drive less then 100 in the left lane...

abyss
06-26-2007, 10:14 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/157149/anybody-see-a-yellow-sentra-spec-v-get-massacared/

That's what happened to me when I was first in the intersection to go at a green light. I don't care how pissed off you get if you're ever behind me waiting when the light turns green, I will not go now until I KNOW the intersection is clear.

eb0i
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
What irritates me about the Deerfoot nowadays is the level of impatience that 90% of the drivers exhibit. The amount of road rage worries me too. Cutting people off and swerving in-and-out of traffiic isn't going to decrease the time of getting home. People should learn to be courteous again and accept that your drive home during rush hour isn't going to take 15 minutes anymore.

Mr_ET
06-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I was actually in Montreal this weekend and I can safely say that deerfoot sucks more then Montreal rush hour now.

They are exiting an island by 1 of about 5-6 bridges we are just all trying to get onto the only fucking 1 highway we have!

We have 1 million people, Montreal has a bit over 3 so why does it take us longer to travel here?

1. Learn to fucking merge people, merge with the gas not with the brake and if the lane ends in fucking 300m go to the end don't just brake and wait for a spot now.

2. When changing lanes go faster then the guy you are getting in front of.

3. Green means GO, look both ways and GO.

4. Accidents happen, look the fuck in front of you when passing one or you'll cause the next one.

5. Slow down to 60 kms/h when ems is present but don't rubberneck. That goes for you guys going the opposite direction too!

6. It's called carpooling use it, you in your fucking big truck, alone, are the reason why I pay the same price at the pump as people in Quebec even if the gas comes from here! You are also the reason we have so many cars on the road and are not moving.

7. SLOWER FUCKING TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!!!!!! It's all over the fucking signs on the side of the road (btw this is the only province I've driven in that feels the need to have signs for this, I wonder why...)

8. Please oh please give us more highways and fast we need them :(

9. When getting onto a highway or any road, it is often easier to do when you are traveling at the same speed as other cars so please fucking press on the go pedal and don't get onto the highway going 80km/h

10. Understand that this is no longer a small town and you can't drive that way anymore.

My apologies for the swearing and I understand that writing this here will change nothing but I feel better for now.

discuss

PINOY-X
06-26-2007, 11:16 AM
:drama: ......................

Mr_ET
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
:clap:

mdeluxe
06-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Montreal drivers are out-of-this-world . I'm from there and I know they can do some crazy manuvers

2EFNFAST
06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mdeluxe
Montreal drivers are out-of-this-world . I'm from there and I know they can do some crazy manuvers

True; however, unlike Calgary idiots they know how to drive.

Mr_ET
06-26-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with both of you there. Now if you think MTL is crazy go drive in Europe:rofl:

Super_Geo
06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I would not even consider buying a place that isn't close to a C-Train station or in downtown... spending an hour and a half in traffic every day (45mins to&from) really adds up.

Assuming you only take 2 weeks of vacation, you're spending 375 hours (or 15 days and 15 hours) in traffic every year! Wwwwtf. The tradeoff between spending a bit more on a place that's closer to work and the increased quality of life that it brings is a no-brainer IMO.

alloroc
06-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I7. SLOWER FUCKING TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!!!!!! It's all over the fucking signs on the side of the road (btw this is the only province I've driven in that feels the need to have signs for this, I wonder why...)

discuss

I agree with you...

but the province doesn't. They actually removed all of those signs from deerfoot a couple years ago in the hopes that more people - and trucks - would drive in the left to even out road wear.

barney
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I was actually in Montreal this weekend and I can safely say that deerfoot sucks more then Montreal rush hour now.

They are exiting an island by 1 of about 5-6 bridges we are just all trying to get onto the only fucking 1 highway we have!

We have 1 million people, Montreal has a bit over 3 so why does it take us longer to travel here?

1. Learn to fucking merge people, merge with the gas not with the brake and if the lane ends in fucking 300m go to the end don't just brake and wait for a spot now.

2. When changing lanes go faster then the guy you are getting in front of.

3. Green means GO, look both ways and GO.

4. Accidents happen, look the fuck in front of you when passing one or you'll cause the next one.

5. Slow down to 60 kms/h when ems is present but don't rubberneck. That goes for you guys going the opposite direction too!

6. It's called carpooling use it, you in your fucking big truck, alone, are the reason why I pay the same price at the pump as people in Quebec even if the gas comes from here! You are also the reason we have so many cars on the road and are not moving.

7. SLOWER FUCKING TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT!!!!!!!! It's all over the fucking signs on the side of the road (btw this is the only province I've driven in that feels the need to have signs for this, I wonder why...)

8. Please oh please give us more highways and fast we need them :(

9. When getting onto a highway or any road, it is often easier to do when you are traveling at the same speed as other cars so please fucking press on the go pedal and don't get onto the highway going 80km/h

10. Understand that this is no longer a small town and you can't drive that way anymore.

My apologies for the swearing and I understand that writing this here will change nothing but I feel better for now.

discuss

:werd: At least in Montreal, they drive like they know how.
Here? Pffft:confused::confused: buncha stunned fricken cows

adam c
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

I agree with you...

but the province doesn't. They actually removed all of those signs from deerfoot a couple years ago in the hopes that more people - and trucks - would drive in the left to even out road wear.

actually there are still signs.. on anderson before it turns into deerfoot

Jay911
06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by abyss
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/157149/anybody-see-a-yellow-sentra-spec-v-get-massacared/

That's what happened to me when I was first in the intersection to go at a green light. I don't care how pissed off you get if you're ever behind me waiting when the light turns green, I will not go now until I KNOW the intersection is clear.

That's fine, as are the other comments and the red light camera pic, but take this into consideration too:

1. Not that we can do anything about the twits like the one that got your car and/or the victim in the red light cam pic, but when it comes to you, stop at red lights, instead of blasting thru them.

2. Do your scan of the intersection before the light turns green, when the cross street has turned red. Yes, this requires people to be focusing on driving even when they're stopped, and prohibits them from reading the Herald or programming their TomTom, but you're behind the steering wheel for one reason only - that's to navigate the car.

3. If you're second, third, eighth, seventy-second, etc., in line, when the car ahead of you moves, GET MOVING. Unless there's a clearly obvious reason for you not to go (i.e. the car ahead of you just jack-rabbited into a red light and is going to get smoked by a Freightliner), your task is to keep traffic moving by following them.