PDA

View Full Version : Info on Car Break In in Calgary

Ekliptix
06-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Someone sent this to me:

> A Calgary word of caution, from a friend of mine.............
>
>
> There's been a spree of robberies over the past few months which police
> have refrained from disclosing to the public in hope that the next victim
> would
> turn up more clues in order to apprehend the criminals.
>
> Apparently these thieves have been targeting vehicles in car lots. What
> one thinks is merely a inconvenient smash and grab ends up being a whole
lot
> more. This same event happened to a friend of mine a couple of days ago.
> His wife's car had been broken into. The regular smashed window and
emptied
> vehicle. They continued their day as any other would, filing a report
and
> calling around body shops to get their window replaced. What they didn't
> notice was that their garage door opener had been taken. When they got
> home after work, they found their house cleaned out.
>
> What these crafty thieves are doing is breaking into parked vehicles,
> snatching your essentials but more importantly taking your garage door
> opener and your insurance slip with your address on it. Immediately after
> their swift work on your vehicle, they high-tail it up to your residence,
> drive into your garage, close the door, break in, and take their
leisurely
> time lifting all your personal possessions.
>
> So, just a word of caution, if you park anywhere in Calgary, take your
> garage door opener off your visor and put it in your glove compartment.
> These thieves have been targeting mainly park & ride lots, but their
areas
> of choice are beginning to expand. My friend's wife was parked at Chintz
&
> Company on 11 ave SW only 15 blocks away.
>

Khyron
06-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Or lock the door from your house to the garage?!?! :banghead:

Khyron

kevie88
06-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Or lock the door from your house to the garage?!?! :banghead:

Khyron

Yeah, but once they're in your garage with the door closed they could smash the door down relatively easy, without anyone being able to see.

4wheeldrift
06-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Should always keep stuff like that locked in the glove compartment. Leaving anything with your name and address on it visible inside the car and easy to get at it just asking for it.

Khyron
06-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Hrm yah I suppose once the door is closed they can take a crowbar to it. I just noticed that most of the new houses with attached garages have metal doors (mine has the doorknob lock and 2 dead bolts) separating the house from the garage.

Khyron

4wheeldrift
06-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Hrm yah I suppose once the door is closed they can take a crowbar to it. I just noticed that most of the new houses with attached garages have metal doors (mine has the doorknob lock and 2 dead bolts) separating the house from the garage.

Khyron They all should, its a fire code thing. The whole wall between the house and garage is supposed to be a fire barrier.

FiveFreshFish
06-19-2003, 09:41 PM
I leave absolutely nothing in the car that readily identifies me or my home address.

Super_Geo
06-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Really off topic, but I remember a friend who was taking some law classes telling those 'crazy lawsuit' stories. A thief broke into a house and managed to get himself stuck in the garage. I guess the garage door was broken and the thief was stuck in there for three days in sub zero temperatures. When he finally got out, he sued the family, and won. Crazy, crazy world we live in.

Fluidic
06-20-2003, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the post Graham. I'm going to post and sticky this up on my forum.

Peter

BigShow
06-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Would it be odd to think that alot of the car thefts are done by people that work for the shops that we goto?

4wheeldrift
06-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by BigShow
Would it be odd to think that alot of the car thefts are done by people that work for the shops that we goto? Not odd at all, possibly even justified. But that only really covers the enthusiast community, and we don't have a lock on car break ins (we're a small percentage compared to the overall number).

gozzy
06-20-2003, 09:43 AM
should plan a decoy out there and wait for these bastards to break in the garage or home, then we could have a break in house warming party for them. I know SMITH & WESSON would be there !

Just a thought.

kenny
06-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Would it be odd to think that alot of the car thefts are done by people that work for the shops that we goto?

And that is why you should think twice before giving your address to any shop unless you trust them.

Ben
06-20-2003, 10:18 AM
3 shops in town that I trust...

TW, AZ, and C1.

SV has a good first impression.

As far as this garage door opener thing, old news...this first was reported about 12 years ago or so. Since then we have never kepped our opener in view and have gone to an integrated system so you would have to have the car at our house to open it, and then get passed me and the .375. Happen not gonna...

Fluidic
06-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Benny's Circle of Trust...

TW = TunerWorks
AZ = Auto Zeal
C1 = Concept-1

Being reviewed:
SV = SpeedVille

mwmhong
06-20-2003, 11:07 AM

I would not be surprised at all, what is usually done is the thieves give an employee/informant a certain percentage of what they steal in exchange for information on targets. :devil:

THREE40SEVEN
06-20-2003, 01:17 PM
That happened to some friend of mine about 3 years ago...

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-20-2003, 02:00 PM
I would just make sure that I didn't leave anything in my car that identifies me in case that happened. As in take your garage door opener and pink slips etc with you in your wallet or some thing.

ICEBERG
06-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Thank's for the heads up.. I am glad that i can program my garage door opener to my Benz so i don't have to carry the opener with me. If they wan't to brake in to my house they have to steal my benz. I hope it is not easy to get a lazer cut key?

FiveFreshFish
06-22-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Thank's for the heads up.. I am glad that i can program my garage door opener to my Benz so i don't have to carry the opener with me. If they wan't to brake in to my house they have to steal my benz. I hope it is not easy to get a lazer cut key?

Homelink is nice to have. Better and more consistent range than from a battery-operated opener.

sexualbanana
06-22-2003, 11:05 PM
On a slightly related story, I got my locker broken into during basketball practice in grade 9 and they took my wallet (which had my license) and they took my keys. When my parents got home later that night, they found a bunch of my Mom's jewelery and stuff stolen.

RiceCake
06-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
On a slightly related story, I got my locker broken into during basketball practice in grade 9 and they took my wallet (which had my license) and they took my keys. When my parents got home later that night, they found a bunch of my Mom's jewelery and stuff stolen.
What?! You had your lisence since grade 9???:rolleyes:

FiveFreshFish
06-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake

What?! You had your lisence since grade 9???:rolleyes:

Class 7.

bksze
06-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Homelink is nice to have. Better and more consistent range than from a battery-operated opener.

i find my home link has less range than my remote but is much nicer to have without cluttering the interior of the car

ebny
06-24-2003, 01:09 PM
wtf is homelink??? i want one....!

Altezza
06-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

:werd: With homelink, I can pretty much open my garage when I'm like a block away downhill. My garage door opener didn't work until I was pretty much at the house next door to mine.

But anyways, thefts like these have been common for quite a number of years. It's one of those recurring stories on the news every couple years or so.

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ebny
wtf is homelink??? i want one....!

It's like a built-in garage door opener.

Can be programmed for openers that use rolling codes or older ones that use a fixed code.

Altezza
06-24-2003, 05:57 PM
If you're so inclined, you can program it to turn on your blender.