PDA

View Full Version : Driving a RHD into the States

avow
06-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Got a quick question I cant seem to find the answer to. If I was to take my J-Spec MR2 down into the U.S. on vacation do you think I will run into any problems at the boarder or with police? Has anyone done this? I know they are illegal to register down there so I am kind of curious. I would hate to get down there and run into a bunch of trouble.:dunno:

PINOY-X
06-27-2007, 10:25 PM
its illegal to drive rhd in the states? ... uuhmmm prettty sure they sell high year skylines in the states... correct me if im wrong

avow
06-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
its illegal to drive rhd in the states? ... uuhmmm prettty sure they sell high year skylines in the states... correct me if im wrong
i thought a few of them were sold or something but then they cracked down and the company that was selling some of them is in a bunch of legal problems or something now i dunno :dunno:

GQBalla
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
werd wasn't MotoRex shut down? something about the supossedly crash testing they did/

schocker
06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
It would not be illegal to drive, especially if you are just on a vacation, it just cant be registered.

ercchry
06-27-2007, 10:35 PM
haha you should read that thread about bringing the mr2 back from the states, they took a skyline down and it got riped apart at the boarder, and the driving was in jail for a bit haha its a good read

Tetsugen
06-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Motorex legalized the R33's but didn't do so with the R32's and R34's. I'm pretty sure they were grandfathered. The owner of motorex ran away from the Feds and CIA on other charges as well, and eventually got away. The sad part was that they were just on the cusp of legalizing the S15.

That being said, depending where you go to the states, get ready to be hassled the fuck out at the border, and harassed by police everywhere (especially if your going down to Cali).

boxman
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
haha you should read that thread about bringing the mr2 back from the states, they took a skyline down and it got riped apart at the boarder, and the driving was in jail for a bit haha its a good read

You got a link to that thread - I've tried searching and can't seem to find it.:banghead:

ercchry
06-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by boxman

You got a link to that thread - I've tried searching and can't seem to find it.:banghead:

yeah i looked quick and , nope
make sure you search for threads older than 3 months

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Its registered in Canada..its no concern of theirs what side you drive on. I cant wait to take the mr2 down to Cali and tear around with my 3.5inch catless exhaust and mods that break every dot rule in the book. Police there cant do anything about it.

Newmz
06-27-2007, 11:56 PM
I think you can take them down with little trouble, a friend of mine who actually brings these over for a living was telling me about when he brought his silvia to vagas, said ferraries and stuff were all over him because they'd never seen much of that befor. as for problemes you shouldn't have any he didn't seem to in a convertable silvia.
Have a fun trip man!

Zephyr
06-28-2007, 01:06 AM
Just dont race anyone (results in jail time and loss of car) or be an idiot driver and you'll be fine... if you're scared, slap on some United States Postal Service stickers on and you'll be like our mail cars..they are RHD too... but any other state besides cali you should be fine, but u probably will get a million questions by kids "where u get that RHD," "omg is that really JDM?!"

ryan when u taking the car down to cali man?

forced_eg
06-28-2007, 01:37 AM
if you get pulled over just flash them canadian insurance and registration... they'll let you leave as long as its legal up here and your not a dick of a driver... honda-tech is flooded with rhd conversion cars and all they have to do is show pictures of the conversion happening (ie: vin swaps and stuff)

avow
06-28-2007, 11:12 PM
thanks for all the great advice guys. at least now i know what i should be expecting :)

bosanel
07-01-2007, 06:48 PM
If you run into any trouble just give them your insurance, drivers license, and the phone number to your insurance place, i don't think you'll have too much trouble at all..