PDA

View Full Version : G35/IS350/335i?

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Folks,

i've been trying to dig thru as many review/reports/comments around the internet to decide on which of these cars I should invest my next couple of years in. (if given the opportunity)

I know they are all commonly talked about, discussed.

I know the "go test drive yourself and decide, dont just listen to what others say"

but the fact is, the devil inside of me wants them all, and though I have a preference, it may as well comes down to which dealership would deal a better offer. hack, i'm even contemplating about importing one from the US.

Right now here is my take on them,

I personally like the style of the IS350, interrior as well as its quality, but it aint cheap pulling one off the lot in canada. So a used 06 US model would be the way to go. The rear seat really sucks, but thankfully it wasnt as bad as I thought when sat in it.

The G35 is much nicer this time around than the last, however I hear the gas milage is probablly the worse in this group, even then decideing between the G35x and G35S is troublesome. (practicallity or performence)

The 335i sedan is all about power I know. I saw a white one with 18" the other day and it makes me drool. But is it worth the 2+ month wait. I find the interrior not as fulfilling as the other two cars and the red display of the instrument just doesnt do it for me. I am now hearing about how the 335i needs the oil cooler in the motortrend review, I wonder if that is a big deal or just something needs to be done and fixed.

Mind you, i need an auto tranny too, (wife) so my dayz with shifting are over.

I still have one more push with the devil inside of me to get one of these beautiful cars. My back up plan would be if none of these come to reality, then my next segament would definately be either a Rav4/Rdx/X3. Again the 2 month way for Rav4 sucks and the X3 is too much if I want to get the higher performing model. and the rdx is right, but darn it aint built in Japan, doesnt matter what you think, but that its a big thing for me.

So whats your thoughts people, anyone own any of these that can give me a longer term test opinion?

:rolleyes:

rex

P.S I would totally look at the G37 and 335i coupe if I was still single :D

bobby_lu
06-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Ohh man...the 335i couple looks soo much better than the sedan for some reason :dunno:

PINOY-X
06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
my votes for the G35 coupe ... :thumbsup:

akumajack
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
I second that.

KRyn
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
1) IS350
2) G37
3) 335i

Inzane
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex

BOOOooooo!!! :thumbsdow

Find a new wife man. :rofl: j/k

chris
06-28-2007, 08:53 AM

get the 335i with smg, you can still shift and the wife can drive auto. Also BMW tells you 2 month wait because they usually have to build it, ask them if they have anything already built in canada and you arent waiting

G
06-28-2007, 09:11 AM
All the new 335s have an oil cooler.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104735&d=1176988196

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
my votes for the G35 coupe ... :thumbsup:
you mean the G37 coupe right?

redline
06-28-2007, 10:20 AM
I think it depands what you value. I went through this back in Jan.

G35 best value hands down. Full load $53k
335i best handling, most powerful, worst interior and luxury options full load $65k
IS350 best all aorund car ,best interior , but small interior, i could not fit in the car and could not buy it. full load $60K

I think it depands on what you value and if you are willing to pay for it.

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by chris

get the 335i with smg, you can still shift and the wife can drive auto. Also BMW tells you 2 month wait because they usually have to build it, ask them if they have anything already built in canada and you arent waiting

SMG isnt that an expensive option? I doubt I can find the right color ext, interior combo laying around somehwere in the northwest.

also, im big fan of pearl white, however im kinda angry that BMW doesnt offer pearl white, unless im wrong but so far all I see is Alpine white which is crap. I even see it first hand at the auto show this year, their 3 series inwhite is not the white I want unless however the 335i white is different, but I doubt it.

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by redline
I think it depands what you value. I went through this back in Jan.

G35 best value hands down. Full load $53k
335i best handling, most powerful, worst interior and luxury options full load $65k
IS350 best all aorund car ,best interior , but small interior, i could not fit in the car and could not buy it. full load $60K

I think it depands on what you value and if you are willing to pay for it.

wow, you cant find into the IS, is it because of the added moonroof? or is it more about the legroom, because I believe the new IS has more legroom then my tsx. You must be a very tall or big person. hmm

dmtx
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
IMHO, g37 if you want a keeper and a project car down the road. You can go nuts about the parts that you could install. Same with BMW too but at a higher price.

Infiniti maintenance is not bad at all. Though BMW, I believe, has free service for three or four years, after that you're on your own. So if you're changing cars before that BMW free service is over, then that's cool.

If money is not the issue then 335i. If you're just pushing your budget just to get the 335i, I would just get the G37 and get another set of forged rims. You could see a lot of nicely and neatly modded G35s in the states. I always get my eyes stuck looking at those. 335i is awesome as it is but I have not seen a 335i yet that made me look twice.... maybe because most of the ones I saw werer stock from factory.

either way, 335i or G37, you're going to be happy. Good luck!

edit:

P.S I would totally look at the G37 and 335i coupe if I was still single :D

You can still get the coupe even if you're married. If you have kids, still okay as it sits four. If you have a baby, the carrier is just a bitch to shove in the back seats... wouldn't bother you if you rally like the coupe.

spyce
06-28-2007, 01:16 PM

SMG isnt that an expensive option? I doubt I can find the right color ext, interior combo laying around somehwere in the northwest.

also, im big fan of pearl white, however im kinda angry that BMW doesnt offer pearl white, unless im wrong but so far all I see is Alpine white which is crap. I even see it first hand at the auto show this year, their 3 series inwhite is not the white I want unless however the 335i white is different, but I doubt it.

one of my friends wants to pick up a 335i in white, but the fact it isnt a pearl white is delaying her purchase
i was told though that bmw is going to be coming out with some new colors for the 08 models and one that is flying around is the possibility of a pearl white ;)

benyl
06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
I drove the 335 for the first time last night. Yes, I waited that long because I knew I would order one as soon as I drove it.

The car is angry. There is so much power and it is soooo smooth. My STi has way more power, but because of the linear feel of the 335, it feels faster.

I am ordering a white on black 335 cab in the next couple of days. I too like the pearl white better, but I am not going to let that stop me... haha

B17a
06-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I drove the 335 for the first time last night. Yes, I waited that long because I knew I would order one as soon as I drove it.

The car is angry. There is so much power and it is soooo smooth. My STi has way more power, but because of the linear feel of the 335, it feels faster.

I am ordering a white on black 335 cab in the next couple of days. I too like the pearl white better, but I am not going to let that stop me... haha

:thumbsup: great choice!

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by spyce

one of my friends wants to pick up a 335i in white, but the fact it isnt a pearl white is delaying her purchase
i was told though that bmw is going to be coming out with some new colors for the 08 models and one that is flying around is the possibility of a pearl white ;)

nice, and your suppose to convince me on the Lexus j.k well hmm when does the 08 model come out, fall?

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 02:08 PM

keep me posted when your ordering one, the waiting list, any info or tabs on it would be good.

btw, what are you going to do with your other cars, are you going to sell them or keep them. STI would make for a great winter transport.

benyl
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM

keep me posted when your ordering one, the waiting list, any info or tabs on it would be good.

btw, what are you going to do with your other cars, are you going to sell them or keep them. STI would make for a great winter transport.

There is no wait list. 3 month to get one after ordering. I am planning on getting an '08 model so it will be October - November before I see mine.

I plan on winter driving the 335. Should be the same as the 330 in the winter. The hardtop is a bonus. The opening mechanism is so cool. The 330 goes back to BMW in December. The STi... undecided.

redline
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM

wow, you cant find into the IS, is it because of the added moonroof? or is it more about the legroom, because I believe the new IS has more legroom then my tsx. You must be a very tall or big person. hmm

i am 6'3" and it was head room other wise the IS350 is a great car.

PINOY-X
06-28-2007, 02:48 PM

you mean the G37 coupe right?

sure! if you change ur selection to the g37 and not the g35... :dunno: :burnout:

Orbie
06-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by chris

get the 335i with smg, you can still shift and the wife can drive auto.

Hold on, does BMW even offer the 335i with SMG? I don't think so, I believe it's just 6 speed manual or 6 speed automatic (slushbox). SMG's are for the \\\M's.

I believe the OP is saying G35 because he means the 2nd Gen Sedan not the 1st Gen G35C. He is strictly taking sedans not coupes.

Tough choice but in the end I would still go between the 335i (if you can stretch your budget) or G35 (good all around package).

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 05:33 PM

There is no wait list. 3 month to get one after ordering. I am planning on getting an '08 model so it will be October - November before I see mine.

I plan on winter driving the 335. Should be the same as the 330 in the winter. The hardtop is a bonus. The opening mechanism is so cool. The 330 goes back to BMW in December. The STi... undecided.

wow 3 months, is it because its coupe and hard top?, so you can pre order and get an 08 model this fall? or is it next fall?

B17a
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
I waited 6 months....:(

C4S
06-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Drive them! you will know!

For power, handling, style .. 335i>IS350>G35 ..

However, for price, 335i>IS350>G35 (after u factor the 4 yr free service on 335i, then value for 335i and IS350 are pretty close)

For future value, 335>350>G35 ...

They all hv good rate/payment for 07 models .. but limited supply ..

BMW TOYOTA NISSAN .. It is your call! :D

JordanEG6
06-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I actually priced out lease prices for those 3 with the same down payment, the BMW came out to be cheaper. But again, if price isnt an issue, i'd drive all 3 and choose based on personal preference

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by B17a
I waited 6 months....:(

was that the coupe or sedan?

A2VR6
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

Hold on, does BMW even offer the 335i with SMG? I don't think so, I believe it's just 6 speed manual or 6 speed automatic (slushbox). SMG's are for the \\\M's.

Thats correct, No SMG with the 335i, just the 6 speed auto with the paddle shifts. Mind you, it's one of the smoothest 6 speed auto's i've ever driven. My dad had kinda the same dillema as you and he went with the 335i. The IS350 was a bit too small in the back for us and the G35 engine just wasnt quite as good as the BMW when we drove it. ... price wasnt that big of a deal for us so we decided to wait the 4 months and order a 335i sedan. Again we were picky with the exterior/interior color combo and options so thats why we had to wait. There were a few 335i sedans in stock when we picked up ours, but nothing with the same color combo. I think the wait list is mainly for the coupe and drop top, not so much for the sedan.

B17a
06-28-2007, 08:04 PM

was that the coupe or sedan?

Sedan. I ordered in the fall before it had even landed yet so it was a bit of a longer wait than if you were to order now.

SilverRex
06-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Sedan. I ordered in the fall before it had even landed yet so it was a bit of a longer wait than if you were to order now.

so whats your experience so far with the car,

problems, milage, pros/cons

oh and how bout the dealership experience,

auto mall and the crowfoot bmw gallery

B17a
06-28-2007, 09:12 PM

so whats your experience so far with the car,

problems, milage, pros/cons

oh and how bout the dealership experience,

auto mall and the crowfoot bmw gallery
1) Love the car! :thumbsup: No complaints whatsoever
2) No problems, other than a minor thing 3 weeks in where the brake light came on and I needed to bring it in. Which ties into the dealership experience, they've been great at Calgary BMW before, during and after purchase.

I guess my only complaint is having to wait the 2000km break in period before really lighting things up!:bigpimp:

SilverRex
06-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Has anyone experience winter with any BMW Rwd platform, especially with power similar to the 335i, just want to hear your thoughts with it in the winter driving,

is it better than most of the other rwd cars out there? I was told BWM's traction control and computer really makes a big difference in the winter.

im not sure if it is true, or like ALL rwd, in the winter you will suffer and winter tire is a must?

thanks

bobby_lu
06-29-2007, 08:20 AM
With winter tires, and all the driver aids on the BMW, you will probably be better of than most cars on the road in the winter time.

SilverRex
06-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
With winter tires, and all the driver aids on the BMW, you will probably be better of than most cars on the road in the winter time.

are you basing your opinion with experience or you just have a bias faith towards their product?

I just wanted to be assure before I plunge myself into one. Winter is a big deal for me as im not in a position to be able to maintain a summer vehicle one for winter.

Maybe when I win the 649 one day, I'll have 4 lol,

anyways, appreciate your input.

rex

benyl
06-29-2007, 09:15 AM
You will be fine with winter tires. I think I have mentioned in a number of threads that the 330 is more stable than the STi in the winter.

bobby_lu
06-29-2007, 09:20 AM

are you basing your opinion with experience or you just have a bias faith towards their product?

I just wanted to be assure before I plunge myself into one. Winter is a big deal for me as im not in a position to be able to maintain a summer vehicle one for winter.

Maybe when I win the 649 one day, I'll have 4 lol,

anyways, appreciate your input.

rex

Experience, DSC will keep you on track.

He'll one rare occasion I was out on Z rated summers (not on purpose)...and it was still "manageable" :D

mekeni
06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
+1 for 335i

max_boost
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
335 FTMFW!!!

It seriously an amazing car. The value is unreal when compared to the E46. $60k is a bargain IMO!

With all these new BMW owners, maybe this will bring some life back to the BMW forum haha

SilverRex, go visit C4S at BMW GAllery and he'll hook you up!

Oh yeah, Congrats on the new ride benyl!

SilverRex
06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
335 FTMFW!!!

It seriously an amazing car. The value is unreal when compared to the E46. $60k is a bargain IMO!

With all these new BMW owners, maybe this will bring some life back to the BMW forum haha

SilverRex, go visit C4S at BMW GAllery and he'll hook you up!

whos C4s? do I get a discount if I do?

max_boost
06-29-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Drive them! you will know!

For power, handling, style .. 335i>IS350>G35 ..

However, for price, 335i>IS350>G35 (after u factor the 4 yr free service on 335i, then value for 335i and IS350 are pretty close)

For future value, 335>350>G35 ...

They all hv good rate/payment for 07 models .. but limited supply ..

BMW TOYOTA NISSAN .. It is your call! :D

Just PM him or call Gallery and ask for Malcolm. He'll take care of you.

benyl
06-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

It isn't a done deal yet. With the ABSOLUTE SHIT service we are getting right now from the service department, I am serious thinking about not buying a BMW.

The 330 sat in the parking lot for a full day without being touched. No one called back to say it was or wasn't being worked on. BMW is in the shit books right now. Why does it take 3 days to do an oil change?

And, they aren't even sorry about it. Not a single apology. If I want shit service like that, I will buy a Subaru again.

Discount? on a BMW? hahahahahahhahahahahaha that is a good joke.

redline
06-29-2007, 10:34 PM

My Friend got a couple of grand off his 335i... car cost canada FTW

And service at Hyatt has been really good.

A2VR6
06-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by redline

My Friend got a couple of grand off his 335i... car cost canada FTW

And service at Hyatt has been really good.

yep, there is a little room to move on the 335i... especially the sedan. You should be able to get around a couple grand discount.

max_boost
06-30-2007, 02:53 AM

It isn't a done deal yet. With the ABSOLUTE SHIT service we are getting right now from the service department, I am serious thinking about not buying a BMW.

The 330 sat in the parking lot for a full day without being touched. No one called back to say it was or wasn't being worked on. BMW is in the shit books right now. Why does it take 3 days to do an oil change?

And, they aren't even sorry about it. Not a single apology. If I want shit service like that, I will buy a Subaru again.

Shitty deal....
btw...
I got a discount on my 330 when I bought it 3 years ago :D

benyl
06-30-2007, 05:56 AM
So did I, but this is a new model.

Sedan yes. Coupe, in Calgary, probably no. If you get it from Brian Jessel... maybe... haha

dmtx
06-30-2007, 08:52 AM
It just sucks when you really really like the car and the service is just bad enough not to proceed. A few friends who have BMW are saying the same thing. They don't like the service and now thinking twice about getting another BMW when their leases end.

SilverRex
07-03-2007, 08:07 PM
hey, i want to ask for those who got the 335i/IS350 or G35,

what deals or discount did you get thru the dealership,

if any,

it would help if I know how much I can negotiate for.

thanks

JordanLotoski
07-03-2007, 08:36 PM
If anyones looking for a white 335i coupe..there is one sitting at Brian Jessel BMW right now...think its white on coral..they also have a black on black...I got mine from there..waited 10 days for delievery (free shipping)