PDA

View Full Version : Body Shop replaced the DRIVER's door on my car, Destroyed the ID LABELS! What to DO?

JustinGTP
06-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi guys,

I know some 'legal' people are lurking these forums. Recently I had Hallmark Auto Body in Calgary, Alberta, replace my door that someone had reversed into. They put on a brand new GM door, all is good, EXCEPT

They disposed the old door but did not give me back the labels in the door that was verbally promised to be returned to me. I am now missing the VIN, Barcode, Date of Manufacture, where it was made, colour codes, etc, from my door and they aren't doing anything about it except an apology. Do I need this in my door? What legal standing do I have if any? Another concern is that this information is around somewhere for someone to steal! What do I DO?

Thanks!

hjr
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
the vin number should be stamped on the actual chassis somewhere. typically on the dash near the windshield.

JustinGTP
06-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by hjr
the vin number should be stamped on the actual chassis somewhere. typically on the dash near the windshield.

That's not the question. I have the VIN there, but I am more interested in seeing if the door labels are a legal requirement as they pertain important information about the car.

Some cars in the US are being destroyed due to missing labels, stolen parts, street racing etc. I don't want this to happen to me.

jersturbo
06-29-2007, 12:32 AM
he answered your question...the VIN of the vehicle is stamped into a few other locations on the chassis

what 'bad' choppers will do is try to swap over a good titled VIN to a stolen car's chassis, in the noticable spots (like the door, dash)...and then register it using the new VIN

at some point later, when the other (more hidden) chassis VINs are checked (for some reason?) and do not match the registration VIN, then there is a problem

this is obviously not the case with yours

if you are concerned of having the GVW decal on the door, i'm pretty sure GMC will have one through the parts counter, or 'make' the autobody shop find you one from another car, and affix it

Originally posted by JustinGTP

That's not the question. I have the VIN there, but I am more interested in seeing if the door labels are a legal requirement as they pertain important information about the car.

Some cars in the US are being destroyed due to missing labels, stolen parts, street racing etc. I don't want this to happen to me.

Weapon_R
06-29-2007, 12:43 AM
I'd call GM tomorrow and see if they can provide you with that information and then ask Hallmark to cover the costs (if any).

JustinGTP
06-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by jersturbo
he answered your question

No, my two questions were, as I quote,

1.Do I need this in my door?

2.What legal standing do I have if any?

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a vin, barcode, colour, date of manfacture, location of manufacture, etc.

sh0ko
06-29-2007, 01:28 AM
i say the kaminari kit looks so clean imo or just some cf lips all round

but i guess those are more lips than anything haha

JustinGTP
06-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by sh0ko

??

Wrong thread bud.

boxer23
06-29-2007, 01:55 AM

:rofl:

Jason Lange
06-29-2007, 02:05 AM
I know Toyota can replace the data tag, not sure what the procedure is for GM.

TegLover
06-29-2007, 02:24 AM

i agree

jersturbo
06-29-2007, 04:36 PM
asked ~ argue

posted ~ replied

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a vin, barcode, colour, date of manfacture, location of manufacture, etc.

whiskas
06-29-2007, 05:21 PM
If you give the VIN to a dealership they'll be able to pull up all the info that was on the tag plus more.

Hemi RT
06-29-2007, 05:33 PM

I need to know if the labels that were thrown out from the door are to be a legal requirement on my car. I was just pointing out that those labels had a Vin, bar code, colour, date of manufacture, location of manufacture, etc.

There is nothing in the law that requires these labels. All the information on these labels is also listed in other areas on the car or owners manual. Also look under the rear seat and you should find the line sheet for the car. Some labels can not be reproduced but the ones on the door can be.

Most of the info on your labels is also contained in your owners manual or you can have a GM dealer print out your info sheet from the serial number and just keep it in the glove box.

AhabTheArab
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Fuck calm down first of all, you act like its the end of the world. Geez.

Sharpie
06-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes just go to a GM dealer and go to the parts department and they can order you a new one...

asifka
06-29-2007, 11:43 PM
as far i experieced those stickers can't be remove easily. even if u had the door, u would have destroyed it anyways.

HHURICANE1
06-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Those stickers are not made to be removed and trying will almost always destroy them. They are not required by law and (at least for domestics) and cannot be replaced. They are a one time only thing from the factory when the vehicle was built. Don't sweat it, the world won't end just because the labels are gone. Go down to your local GM parts dept. and have them give you a copy of the RPO codes. They have ALL the info of the vehicle build and put that in your glove box.

jersturbo
06-30-2007, 01:08 PM
...you're welcome :rolleyes:

JustinGTP
06-30-2007, 11:09 PM
...you're welcome :rolleyes:

You're cocky and rude and should stop posting in my thread. You haven't even answered my question and you are just being negative.

However, thanks to everyone else who joined in positively. I talked to GM and they can't get the door labels. I know about some of the information in teh trunk, but I am just missing the date of manufacture and bla bla. Not a huge deal to me. As for them to be removed, they said they would cut it out of the door.

jersturbo
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
wow...then you really need to go back to post #1 and re-read, a few others and myself have given you ALL the answers to your questions

like another post here states "calm down" and read the good information given on your behalf...thus the purpose of that post, meant only to prompt you...

...it's customary to be thankful, and not cocky & rude to those trying to provide you with the 'correct' information, as you have been here

good luck to you!

You're cocky and rude and should stop posting in my thread. You haven't even answered my question and you are just being negative.

However, thanks to everyone else who joined in positively. I talked to GM and they can't get the door labels. I know about some of the information in teh trunk, but I am just missing the date of manufacture and bla bla. Not a huge deal to me. As for them to be removed, they said they would cut it out of the door.

JustinGTP
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
But I do not understand what part of "I am now missing the VIN, Barcode, Date of Manufacture, where it was made, colour codes, etc, from my door and they aren't doing anything about it except an apology. Do I need this in my door? What legal standing do I have if any?"that you don't seem to understand. Read the complete sentence and you will see that I am asking only and specifically about door labels, not about where else the vin is on the vehicle. I am not going to be thankful to you because you have just ruined my thread. It is customary to be thankful; but you can't say thanks when you haven't been online in a day or two. This also does not mean that I was not going to say thanks either, as apparently unlike yourself, I don't live online.

wow...then you really need to go back to post #1 and re-read, a few others and myself have given you ALL the answers to your questions

like another post here states "calm down" and read the good information given on your behalf...thus the purpose of that post, meant only to prompt you...

...it's customary to be thankful, and not cocky & rude to those trying to provide you with the 'correct' information, as you have been here

good luck to you!

BlackArcher101
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Dude,

This thread should be done by now.

You DO NOT need this info. What more do you want the body shop to do for you? You wanted the door replaced, they did it. They apologized that they can't peel the sticker off and put it on the new one.

It's not the end of the world here. It's like you have some perverse sexual attachment to this wonderful informational sticker. It's not like this info won't be available any longer when you sell the car. It's all encoded into the VIN.

Not sure why you would even want the label back from the old door. Doesn't do much for you.

Hemi RT
07-02-2007, 05:29 PM

However, thanks to everyone else who joined in positively. I talked to GM and they can't get the door labels. I know about some of the information in the trunk, but I am just missing the date of manufacture and bla Bela. Not a huge deal to me. As for them to be removed, they said they would cut it out of the door.

Hope I don't fall into this category; anyways, you can take the VIN to your dealer service department, ask them to print out the VIN information which will give you more info than was on the door stickers, keep it in the glove box with the owners manual. You could also go to a sign shop and have them print out the info you want on adhesive backed white vinyl and put them on your door post.

TE4MFaint
07-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I worked at the bodyshop here is the answer for you.

You order a new door, they replace the door, sand/paint everything.

How do you expect them to take off your VIN # sticker perfectly off of the old door and put it back onto the new door?

Its common sense dude, it cant be done.

We never did it when replacing a door, and I cant see any shop attempting to take an hour to get off a sticker off perfectly and attempt to restick it onto a different door.

Legally, it doesnt need to be there, there are more places that the VIN# is stamped.

Just leave it off and dont worry about it.

16second
07-03-2007, 12:59 PM
regardless what people are telling you on here, those labels on the drivers door are very important.

Same thing happened with my corolla, took to the dealer auto body near mcloead se, they fixed and put new labels on or transfered them i do not know. it was a 2004

jersturbo
07-03-2007, 10:17 PM
HA, good luck to ya kid...maybe you can start another thread and argue with all those replies too :rolleyes: - LMAO :drama:

But I do not understand what part of "I am now missing the VIN, Barcode, Date of Manufacture, where it was made, colour codes, etc, from my door and they aren't doing anything about it except an apology. Do I need this in my door? What legal standing do I have if any?"that you don't seem to understand. Read the complete sentence and you will see that I am asking only and specifically about door labels, not about where else the vin is on the vehicle. I am not going to be thankful to you because you have just ruined my thread. It is customary to be thankful; but you can't say thanks when you haven't been online in a day or two. This also does not mean that I was not going to say thanks either, as apparently unlike yourself, I don't live online.

Weapon_R
07-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Honestly it sounds like you're trying to cash in on a situation that doesn't really affect anything at all. Once and for all, the VIN # has all of the information that you'll need. You got an apology, and probably an excellent repair as you dealt with a great bodyshop, but it seems like you're trying to get a blowjob out of the deal too.

There is nothing you cannot get from the VIN (which is on about 20 different panels on your vehicle) that those stickers you are worried so much about contain.

forced_eg
07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
relax, go to gm, give them your vin # and im sure they can get your "where it was made, colour codes, etc, from my door" and keep a note of it... your retarded because every positive answer youve gotten, youve bitched and moaned about said bodyshop even more