PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy salvaged cars?

Dayclone
06-29-2007, 01:31 AM
So today I had the craziest idea, and I'm sure a lot of people have done this so far.

I was wondering how hard it would be to buy salvaged cars or cars written off from the insurance companies and fix them yourselves... I really don't care how long it would take me to fix a car but it would be awesome idea...

So any ideas of where to start?

and also if I buy a slavaged car in the US, is it hard to import over?

Steve

omfgcurtis
06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
theres a place in the southeast that auctions off salvaged and written off cars, its a little past race city on 114th ave and i think 84th street. i got a 97 golf from there that was rolled, no major damaged except smashed windows and doors and it was only $300

got it fixed up and sold it for 3000:thumbsup:

omfgcurtis
06-29-2007, 01:42 AM
http://www.diamondauto.ca/
my buddy joey works there, he can get some sweet deals if you want his #

JustinGTP
06-29-2007, 01:46 AM
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Start with those two first. Google is your friend.

I also heard somewhere that you can't import any other title than "clear" into canada, but I can't find it so I'm not sure.

Vtecmini
06-29-2007, 02:09 AM
If you end up going to that place on 84. Pm me if you see a new mini in there. I want the seats out them. they would like nice in my classic.

Audio_Rookie
06-29-2007, 02:13 AM
nice auction place...seems like a few flood cars lol.

Poor bastard driving through 6 foot puddles......

FatBalla
06-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
nice auction place...seems like a few flood cars lol.

Poor bastard driving through 6 foot puddles......

haha yah my car might be there. that thing was a mess nastiest smell ever. Got flooded in walmarts parking lot.

Dayclone
06-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Ewww I will never buy a flood car and attempt to fix those... screw that.

Also, can you clear a salvaged title? like change it to rebuilt?

and obviously I will tell people that the vehicle that they are buying is salvaged. Cause you just can't with hold that information. And they could find that out with the VIN#.

and I'm also looking for expensive cars... like Bimmers or Vetts or something like that... I would imagine those are hard to find.

bobby_lu
06-29-2007, 08:17 AM
^ No theyre just as common as they are on the road.

Though, do you think some is more likely to buy a 3K salvaged honda or a 20K salvaged BMW?

Oh yeah...your idea is very original lol :rolleyes:

Dayclone
06-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

Though, do you think some is more likely to buy a 3K salvaged honda or a 20K salvaged BMW?

Yeh.... lol haha :D

Toms-SC
06-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Theres a Skyline under Nissian

Cool site, thanks for sharing it!

v_tec_prelude
06-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Its pretty tough gto get them back on the road, my buddy has a membership there, he said rebuilt cars are harder to sell and the inspectors are anal and nit pick everything.

Also, flood damaged cars are mostly branded non repairable which means they are paperweights and only good for parts

Dayclone
06-30-2007, 01:02 AM
So you need a license of some sort in order to rebuild cars?

v_tec_prelude
06-30-2007, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Dayclone
So you need a license of some sort in order to rebuild cars?

nope

Dayclone
06-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Well I just like to fix up the nice cars... but don't know where to start in calgary tried a bunch of sites but they don't have any bimmers really or vetts or lexus etc... I just want to get an idea of how much those cars would be, and possibly start small like with Hondas... but yeh I'd imagine people who own those junk yards would buy that car and fix it themselves...

ercchry
06-30-2007, 03:05 AM
fuck if you couldnt fix your own bmw why try to fix other ones?

and you will not get your money back, no way in hell

FiveFreshFish
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

It also takes less damage to write off a cheaper car, meaning it should be easier to fix.

2BLUE
06-30-2007, 10:01 AM
wish you could see the prices that there getting bid up to.

Dayclone
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
fuck if you couldnt fix your own bmw why try to fix other ones?

and you will not get your money back, no way in hell

lolz I ain't gonna work on my own Bimmer but I will work on a salvaged just to gain some knowlegde.

euro_racer
06-30-2007, 11:46 AM
trust me, its not as easy as you think it may be...it can be a big headache with parts and all if you do not have any contacts and you will only end up doing a hack job if you do it yourself and in the end you will not pass the inspection, not to mention how hard it is to sell a rebuild car with all the bad rep. thease days. i would not recogmend you do anything yourself unless you have some real knowledge and a real shop...best way to get experience would be to work for a bodyshop for a while

rebuilding salvaged cars has been around for a long time and it has died off lately with all the strict rules and horror storries that appeared in the past 2 years, ive gotten a few cars fixed before and its just not worth it anymore to buy those cars. the new thing is importing ;)

boxer23
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
sorry for the thread jack
could you please tell me where I could rebuilt cars for sale, not salvaged, but ones that were in a accident and then FIXED

Tik-Tok
06-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
sorry for the thread jack
could you please tell me where I could find rebuilt cars for sale, not salvaged, but ones that were in a accident and then FIXED

buysell.com or canadatrader.com, or our very own classifieds here.

If a car isn't written off, and it's repaired by insurance, your not going to find it any cheaper than a non accident car, and if it's been written off, it'll have that permenant SALVAGE title forever.