PDA

View Full Version : anyone use calgary cell unlockers before? i think they're hustlers

dropdat
06-29-2007, 09:55 PM
So my cell phone carrier is cingular and i get a new 8800 blackberry but need it unlocked so i google unlocking cellphones in calgary and find calgarycellunlockers.com and call them at 2UNLOCK, i get some stupid directions to a place thats impossible to find so buddy just meets me at the shell on 17th. i give him my phone and he says it'll be done by tomorrow. This was monday so i call them yesterday to get an update, so the first time, i call and ask if my phones ready and the person hangs up on me so i call a couple hours later and then he tells me 'i didnt pick it up, another guy did so call tomorrow when he's in' so i call today 3 times and everytime they dont answer from my number so i call from other numbers, when i call from other numbers i ask where my phone is and they just hang up on me.

has any one else ever dealt with these guys? cause it seems like im getting jerked around.

Sharpie
06-29-2007, 10:00 PM
So they just hang up on you when you call? Fuck that noise if i was you I would call from one of your buddies phones and set up a meeting with this guy and when you meet up with him beat the fuck outta him..

shakalaka
06-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Why in the bloody hell would you just give you cell phone to some random bloke and just walk away? I mean that is just so damn stupid man.

You should have atleast taken some sort of reciept or something you know.

I have personally never heard of them. I just hope you get your phone back man, just keep trying to contact them I guess, and be insistent. Worst comes worst threat them that you will go to the police, but I doubt they can do anything, since you have no proof that you gave them your phone.

dj_rice
06-29-2007, 10:01 PM
So they have your phone now? Call CPS and report a theft

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
goto calgary cell unlockers . com (has to space it or it comes up wtih that spam alert thing) and see for yourself, seems like a half ass decent company....also, rogers gives out their cards to people looking to unlock phones

shakalaka
06-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Well, since Rogers is recommending them, then they must be legit. Or it just could be their people working with Rogers that give out their contact information, unless each Rogers everywhere does that?

I guess you will find out, hopefully they are legit. How much did the guy say they were gonna charge you to unlock it anyways?

Barrington
06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
no they are legit.. we give their cards out at fido as well... they're just slow as hell..

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:10 PM
so i just called that number again and some lady answers the phone and starts bitching at me saying "this is a private cell, you have the wrong number, dont call this number" and 2 hours ago when they weren't answering their answering machine was saying calgary cell unlockers

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:11 PM
he said hell do it for 125 which kinda sucks cause i just paid over 500 for it and have never used it

van
06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
You just got jacked man, doesn't take more than 10 minutes to unlock a phone. All they do I think is run a software that has the codes from specific providers to unlock it. Call he police, file a report and get these guys served.

shakalaka
06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by dropdat
he said hell do it for 125 which kinda sucks cause i just paid over 500 for it and have never used it
Wow that sucks. I am in the process of getting mine unlocked remotely. They send you an unlock code which is related to your IMEI code. I am still waiting for the return email, but I paid the website like $60.

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Wow that sucks. I am in the process of getting mine unlocked remotely. They send you an unlock code which is related to your IMEI code. I am still waiting for the return email, but I paid the website like $60.

yeah i was going to try that but my paypal is down and wont work for me at all so i had no way to do that

Dooms_Bane
06-29-2007, 10:17 PM
i'd say give the number to the cops and let them deal with it if thats possible if not.

have a friend call them and arrange a second meeting saying you need a nokia 8800 unlocked. and what not. if it's the same guy. just pull the whoop ass on him *call from a pay phone*

BerserkerCatSplat
06-29-2007, 10:18 PM
You should have done a search about them on Beyond, there was a bunch of shit about them on here about a year ago. They spammed the fuck out of Beyond and still suck, apparently.

Edit: Ah, here's one thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/80675/cellphone-unlock-pms/

Edit2: And another

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/120233/calgary-cell-unlockers/

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:18 PM
yeah i think im gonna call and arrange another meeting with them or get one of my friends to do it, rather

shakalaka
06-29-2007, 10:19 PM
I paid via my credit card, the website I used had an option of paypal or credit cards.

Anyways I am not going to recommend the website yet, since I haven't gotten my phone unlocked.

But on top of my oder confirmation email they said, 'You will recieve downloading instructions shortly, and if youd don't within 24 hours contact us...'

I emailed them after about 4 days after ordering, and the website correspondent on the email told me that, the unlocking code turn around is 14 days. So I am just waiting at the moment, as I ordered it on the 23rd of this month.

shakalaka
06-29-2007, 10:21 PM
At this point, I am going to go ahead and suggest you against taking any of the above mentioned measures like 'beating' the guy.

Just wait and watch for sometime, maybe they will come through. Otherwise there is a possibility of you losing your phone.

dropdat
06-29-2007, 10:29 PM
haha, im just starting to get heated after reading those other threads about them, and seeing how shady they are and how they jerked around other people too

Isaiah
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by dropdat
...also, rogers gives out their cards to people looking to unlock phones

Originally posted by shakalaka
Well, since Rogers is recommending them, then they must be legit. Or it just could be their people working with Rogers that give out their contact information, unless each Rogers everywhere does that?

Rogers does not advocate or provide contact information for third party unlocking services. They will, for a fee (which used to be ~$200) provide the subsidy unlock code for your phone. The purpose of the subsidy lock is to protect their investment in the phone that they subsidized to you when you bought it.

Rogers (and Fido) employees should not be handing out cards or referring customers to 3rd party unlocking services as it is a violation of their contract and could result in termination.

5hift
06-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure you got jacked by the same lebs that were ripping beyonders off a while ago. I looked into them to get my phone unlocked, but something didnt sound right when the guy tried to explain why it would take soo long.

Call back, and tell them you have the licence plate of the guy you met up with, and if you dont get your phone back in 1 day, your going to the police. They will try to sell you some story of how they need a couple days to "reassemble the phone" but its just a lie to get a few more days.

If I recall Weapon R did that and got his phone back.

em2ab
06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Just meet up with him again saying you're someone new with a new phone. When you meet him in a parking lot again, tell him you want to go and pick up your phone right now no matter how many pieces it's in and your money back. What can he say?

em2ab
06-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh, and what's the address? I can look it up on my GPS and it'll take me right to it. I can let you know how to get there.

shakalaka
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Well if you decide to go that route, make sure you have some friends with you and don't go alone.

BrknFngrs
06-30-2007, 12:12 PM
i've dealt with a similar situation to this, not a cellphone issue but same scenario, just have someone that you know make another call to him to meet up. Then once they start talking show up with 3 or 4 cars and box em in, they WILL give in and give you your shit.

2.2vtec
06-30-2007, 01:27 PM
God i hate the guy from there! His name is Rob and he is lebanese and he drives a mustang. He had my phone one time and he avoided my calls so finally i just called him from another phone I told straight up I want my phone now or I will kick your ass. He gave it back the same day:D

Toms-SC
06-30-2007, 02:26 PM
You just got played dawg

asuth077
06-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Someone should email this website to the Devry corporate email. I am pretty sure statements like "We at Devry" on their web page wouldn't go over well there.

dropdat
06-30-2007, 05:21 PM
i called them again today, buddy said the other guys outta town till tuesday and hell have it for me then...but tuesday im just gonna have one of my friends call to set up a meeting and show up with a few guys and force him to give me my phone back.

dennisaur
06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
well a simple whois search on the two other domains found on that website gives the following info:

Registrant:
rob caram
810 605 13 ave
calgary, Alberta t2y1a9
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: UNLOCKBLACKBERRY.COM
Created on: 30-May-05
Expires on: 30-May-13
Last Updated on: 08-Mar-07

And this one too:

Registrant:
rob caram
64 shaw meadows cr
calgary, Alberta t2y1a9
Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: UNLOCKTREO.COM
Created on: 30-May-05
Expires on: 30-May-08
Last Updated on: 02-Feb-06

Daan
06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
they did at the FIDO store in CHINOOK

Originally posted by Isaiah

Rogers (and Fido) employees should not be handing out cards or referring customers to 3rd party unlocking services as it is a violation of their contract and could result in termination.

2EFNFAST
07-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Rogers does not advocate or provide contact information for third party unlocking services. They will, for a fee (which used to be ~$200) provide the subsidy unlock code for your phone. The purpose of the subsidy lock is to protect their investment in the phone that they subsidized to you when you bought it.

They do (Rogers) in the Shawnessy location - I drop off my bill there monthly and I've seen the person(s) working there at least 4 or 5 times give out unlocker's business cards

forced_eg
07-01-2007, 01:32 AM
this dude met me at some macs on 17th.. said his shop was being renovated at the time being so he couldnt take me there.. he pulled up in a mustang and i got the plate # so i didnt worry too much, 40min - 60 min later... he brought my phone back... (this was back when razr's were fresh)

seemed shady but got my shit done so i really didnt care much.... if i were to get another phone unlocked i'd shop around mainly because of the dude''s unproffesionality

ChargedLextasy
07-01-2007, 01:38 AM
So What ever happend? Did u get your phone?

brownskind
07-01-2007, 01:47 AM
i remember a guy at that worked at Telus named rob who unlocked phones....he was lebanese and he gave me one of those cards before..he a big dude with kind of a small head... seems like a good guy to me... i wouldnt trust him with my phone tho...

i hope you get ur phone back without too much conflict

01RedDX
07-01-2007, 02:28 AM

SpoonEK9@STRD
07-01-2007, 11:03 AM
some one look up his postal code for real address t2y1a9
then we can have a beyond meet at his house.

turbotrip
07-02-2007, 04:32 PM
if ur dealing with that jamal guy then good luck getting it back, we showed up where he lives and he shit himself and only then did he give the phone back, and he even offered to give us a free phone (likely another customer's) for the troubles LOL

Clever
07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I know Rob but haven't seen him in a while, the last time something liked this happened I got a hold of him and asked him what was up, i believe a few people got their phones back, no guarantees but I'll see what i can do.

Isaiah
07-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

They do (Rogers) in the Shawnessy location - I drop off my bill there monthly and I've seen the person(s) working there at least 4 or 5 times give out unlocker's business cards
I meant Rogers as a company (Rogers Communications), not Rogers as in a local store clerk who doesn't know any better.

Euro838
07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Damn, I see some people really got jacked here for unlocking. I had someone unlock and debrand my phone for $20. But this was at the Richmond Night Market. I have the business card at home so I'll post the info for them when I get home. I'd definitely recommend them as they were nice and courteous.

dropdat
07-03-2007, 11:19 PM
yeah i talked to them again today (he kept ignoring my calls but answered another number) and told him i wanted it back and got rude and he told me thursday he'd have it. so thursday im just going to show up at his house. If only it wasnt for the fact i work 12+ hours a day during the summer i would have showed up today.

Euro838
07-04-2007, 10:00 AM
For others, the place where I got my stuff unlocked is here. I'd use them again for sure.

http://www.cshop.ca/

I think you get a fifth unlocking free!

pardip_johal
07-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Ive used them many times before. I ussally meet him at the shell gas station... give him the phone....then he goes homes unlocks it and brings it back to me withen about 20-25 mins .

dropdat
07-07-2007, 03:16 PM
so i got my phone back but not after tons of hassle. first i call from a random number and ask him wheres my phone and when can i get it and he says "dude, it's been sitting here ready for days i was wondering why you weren't calling " even though i'd been calling non stop and he woud hang up on me or give me an excuse everytime. so i go meet him at the shell and wait 30 mins after i was supposed to be there and he doesnt show, but his cars parked there with all the windows down, so i call him about 20 times while im waiting and no answer, so i call from my old ladys cell too, finally he answers from her number. then he tells me to drive to his house to pick it up and gives me directions.

such a snake bastard, i suggest NOONE ever go to them for unlocking services, unless you like getting the run around and love being put in shitty moods by liars.

shakalaka
07-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Well atleast you got your phone back, which is most important. Did you get it unlocked though?

I got mine unlocked from a website called cellcorner and it took like 10 days but I got it done. Took $60, had the phone with me all the time.

SilverGS
07-07-2007, 06:16 PM
+1 for Cshop

Most cell phones can be unlocked in 20 min

dropdat
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
yeah it came back unlocked

Basil406
05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Things must have changed since the last post in this discussion. The voice mailbox is full and they will not call back or visit when a request by e-mail is made. The price they quote on the website is not valid. Once the quoted price is paid, they write to ask for double payment, to pay the phone maker, like Sony.

CUG
05-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Rob Caram, 2unlock, UNLOCKBLACKBERRY.COM sounds like a scam. (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181731&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2)

gqmw
05-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Wow you guys...

I'm on my phone right now so I can't double check if the link is correct but www.cellunlock.com. Its like $40 on there - but there's a 50% off code somewhere on the site. My friend used it and got the unlock codes in 5 minutes.

Other sites I've used took a few hours tops...never longer than a day...and never more than 40 dollars.

CMW403
05-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I don't know why you would pay more than $5 to unlock a phone? Iv unlocked 6 blackberries, each costing me under $4 off of ebay. How companies like this still have business is beyond me.

bcunlocking
06-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

takkyu
06-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by bcunlocking

I sure hope you are paying for sponsorship status to advertise your business :)