PDA

View Full Version : Blown Tire + AMA = crappy saturday night

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Anyone know where I can rent a jack so I can change some tires on my lowered car. I have sideskirts so I can't use just any jack.

Here's what happened:

I'll try to keep it short. I was walking out of 7-11 near bowness I think it was, and I hear a hissing coming from my driver side rear tire. So I tighten the valve, and put more air in it, only to hear the air hissing out hardcore, I feel around the back, and where the rubber meets the rim there is air coming out at a pretty good pace.

So I drive two blocks to my buddies house, park it there, and call AMA, because the jack I have wont work because of my sideskirts. They tell me it is a 2 hour wait, AMA driver comes after 20 mins, sweet. He's a nice guy, tells me he shouldn't change the tire and rim because my spare is a different size tire (bigger). I agree, so he leaves and we go down south to my place and pick up two tires, call AMA and head back to my buddies.

Next AMA driver comes by, I ask him if he needs to see my I.D, he says no, with attitude. Looks at the car, "I can't tow this." No problem, I don't want it towed. "I can't jack the car up, it's too low, I can't fit my foot under." WTF, the first guy was talking like it was not a problem, and this guy was just total attitude.

So now my car is sitting at my friends place, I'll have to get a jack and do it myself I guess.

nismodrifter
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
drive it onto some wood and then jack it up.

l8braker
07-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

x2

sullygully
07-01-2007, 11:31 AM
^ what he said. get a couple 2x6's and drive onto it. For the future, i'd recommend buying an electric scissor jack, and keep it in the car.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672442&bmUID=1183311083945&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443286662&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

Damn dude! I'm pretty smart, I shoud have thought of that! I still need another jack though, the one I have won't connect with the rubber piece under the car because of the sideskirts. Does Canadian tire rent good jacks?

AJS.Si
07-01-2007, 11:39 AM
ive seen these little racing jacks about 8 inches long and 1 or 2 inch high and they look like a toy , you use that to raise it until you can fit a normal jack under it, not sure where to buy it, i think mopac sells them, just a thought

roopi
07-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Why do you insist on renting a jack? You're pretty confident you won't need one again?

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM
How much to buy? This is the first time I've had a problem with tires since the past 7 years. I guess I could start rotating my tires myself, but I don't winter drive this car any more anyway so it's not like I'll be changing tires often or anything.

ZorroAMG
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah Matt, just buy one from CT....

rc2002
07-01-2007, 12:54 PM
What's wrong with the factory scissor jack? Usually those are the best jacks to use for lowered cars since the clearance required for those is minimal.

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
What's wrong with the factory scissor jack? Usually those are the best jacks to use for lowered cars since the clearance required for those is minimal.

The jack that I have in the trunk wont work because of the sideskirts. The part that connect with the car has a pizza slice shape to it, so I think it will touch the sideskirt. I guess I'll try it after work and see if it will suffice, which I doubt. Otherwise I'll go buy a jack.

FiveFreshFish
07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Princess Auto sell one like this for $150, and it was on sale a few weeks ago for $100. I have the CT version of it which goes as low as 3.5 inches.

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/products/images/AutoRepair/CreepersJacksStands/0090021_450_CC_3443d.jpg

Weapon_R
07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
You can also pick up a speed lift blue michelin jack from Canadian tire for about $50. It's sort of like the one FFF posted above, but in a compact size. It's great to keep in the truck or in the garage for emergencies.

Drive onto a couple 2x4s, and slip the jack underneath. You don't have to jack specifically where the manual dictates, especially since that is intended for the original jack. You can jack from any rigid metal point underneath your car.

turbo'dGSR
07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Yea there is usually never a problem with jacking cars up no matter how slammed they are. If you cant get it from the side cause your sideskirts are somehow still in the way after driving onto a 2x4, jack it up from the front.

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can also pick up a speed lift blue michelin jack from Canadian tire for about $50.

:thumbsup: Awesome, the one pictured above looks like exactly what I need.

Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
Yea there is usually never a problem with jacking cars up no matter how slammed they are. If you cant get it from the side cause your sideskirts are somehow still in the way after driving onto a 2x4, jack it up from the front.

I'll use the 2x4 if need be, thanks guys.

The main problem was the shape of my jack, and the other problem was that the second AMA guy was a lazy prick, the first guy made it sound like they could jack it up no problem.

malaekat
07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
As I can attest to having been a tow truck operator if it wasn't for the wrong spare tire size the first tower would have jacked you anyway and may very well have damaged your vehicle. The second guy was being fair and honest with you and respected your vehicle. In all honesty the first guy is the kind who is concerned more with his paycheck than in the care he takes with your pride and joy and who would jack or tow a low boy like yours with out a flat deck or proper lift. The second guy would obviously put you as a satisfied customer and the safety of your vehicle over his desire to get to the next customer. You really should thank your lucky stars for a wrong size spare and give Kudos to the driver who refused. So next time you know lowboys should always be lifted for tire changes you've spent the dough on your toy make it last don't take risks that will see you doling out more dough than needed

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Normally I would have seen it that way, but the 2nd tow truck driver gave attitude from the very start, instead of calling to 10 minutes prior to notify the customer they're on the way, (as they always do), he called when he was outside. Then I went to the driver and asked if he needed my I.D, (as they always do), he said no. It wasn't just his actions it was his tone of voice. The first guy was really nice, the second was a jackass, and his lack of professionalism is what gave me my opinion.

Besides, my car has been jacked once before, when I got my new wheels right after the kit was installed. The first AMA guys was not young, and was experienced, and talked about why they don't tow lowered cars, he was nice, and professional.

FiveFreshFish
07-01-2007, 05:29 PM
I might have some spare time tonight to help you out with my jack if your car's not too far away. I'm in the NW.

Hakkola
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I might have some spare time tonight to help you out with my jack if your car's not too far away. I'm in the NW.

Turns out my friend is going out today and wants me to go tomorrow instead. Thanks for the offer though. If that changes I'll PM you. The car is in Bowness.

eblend
07-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Check out walmart. I bought a low profile jack there like less then a year ago for 35 bucks! It is pretty low profile an dirt cheap, and comes in its own plastic carrying box. It works great on my car. Mind you I have like 4 inch drop on my sideskirts so I still can't really use it as is, but my dad is a welder and welded on a peice of pipe to the end so it clears my 4 inch skirts. Its hard to explain but my skits are right by the mounting points, so unless the lift goes straight up, it would bend my skirts, so with the pipe at first pump of the jack the car starts lifting.

Hakkola
07-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by eblend
. Its hard to explain but my skits are right by the mounting points, so unless the lift goes straight up, it would bend my skirts, so with the pipe at first pump of the jack the car starts lifting. That is exactly what my problem was. If I pick up a jack I'll check out walmart.

That said, I called AMA, and a nicer guy who knew what he was doing gave me a hand, went without a hitch, now I just have to buy some new rubber, my tire was absolutely destroyed!