PDA

View Full Version : Curious about rocks + bikes

Dooms_Bane
07-01-2007, 07:10 PM
ok ok.. so as i was driving i saw this guy on a harley... he was zooming by and came to this cement pouring truck....

and right when he was about change lanes to the left (he was behind the truck) this rock flys out from the bottom of the cement truck and SMOKES him in the neck or chest or somewheres around that vicinity....

anyhow i was curious how often do bikers get hit with Rocks and other various objects that are tossed in the air

and how bad does it hurt... (i'm sure it hurts but HOW BaD! :D )

3clips3
07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
There are worse things in life but it still sucks. I wear gear all of the time and have been hit in the chest by a lot of things, nothing has really hurt but a rock/bee/bug in the neck stings for a couple seconds.

RZRSHARP_SVX
07-01-2007, 08:35 PM
my buddy was on his harley and took a bee to the face. his face was red for days

BlueGoblin
07-01-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
ok ok.. so as i was driving i saw this guy on a harley... he was zooming by and came to this cement pouring truck....

and right when he was about change lanes to the left (he was behind the truck) this rock flys out from the bottom of the cement truck and SMOKES him in the neck or chest or somewheres around that vicinity....

anyhow i was curious how often do bikers get hit with Rocks and other various objects that are tossed in the air

and how bad does it hurt... (i'm sure it hurts but HOW BaD! :D )

You get hit by various road crap quite a lot - mostly just rocks, but occasionally cigarettes (cannot stand anybody who flicks butts out their window) and bigger, stouter bugs like June Bugs can hit you too.

This is a perfect example of why proper gear all of the time is essential though. If you wear a proper riding jacket, zipped up, with gloves boots, jeans (or better) and a fullface helmet with eye protection, the vast majority of road debris hits isn't going to even sting at all. rocks to the knees will sting some through jeans but if you wear proper riding pants with knee protectors you might not even notice.

Even when it is really hot out, some of the new mesh jackets and pants provide adequate (though not spectacular) protection and are as cool as riding without a jacket on.

Experienced riders also learn to watch out for vehicles that throw shit up - raised trucks with mudders and no mudflaps (another pet peeve), gravel/cement trucks. campers/trailers with leaking septic tanks, etc.

85regal
07-02-2007, 01:23 PM
basically feels like being hit with a paintball. not bad in and around the city though, just at highway speeds.

Supa Dexta
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah I generally wear full-ish gear (jeans though) Never been smoked by too much.. And glad that I haven't, I took a golf ball sized stone to my windshield in the car the other day, that would have hurt at 120.. Got a bee in the face at low speed last month.. 40-50 ish, had my visor up, then the bastard stung my cheek when he was wedged in there.. ha.. hurt like a bitch..

Gotta be on your toes for crap on the road, boards and shit.. My leather jacket is thick enough I never notice much, I hear some nasty snaps off it now and then, and you know those really messy yellow bug stains you get on your car, yeah the jacket sees lots of them.. I feel weird going into a store or something covered in bugs and guts hanging off me.. :rofl:

HHURICANE1
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Never got it by any rocks but i'll tell you, a big adult grasshopper in the chest will almost clean you off your seat when you are at speed!

Graham_A_M
07-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
Never got it by any rocks but i'll tell you, a big adult grasshopper in the chest will almost clean you off your seat when you are at speed!

Try getting one in the eye, good GOD that hurt, I was fighting to keep the bike on the road, the eye that was hit was closed shut completely, and with my other eye watering and also wanting to close, it was pretty intense. Thank God it didn't happen in the fast lane of deerfoot or something, instead it was in some rural road.

I just ride with my visor down now, as those little "gnats" in the eye can really hurt, and my eye turns beet red, only to swell up like I was sucker-punched the next day.
My biggest worry is just getting rock-chips on my bike, as that drives me nuts. :banghead:

mekeni
07-03-2007, 11:25 PM
hit by rocks - once a week.

hit by insects - everytime, sometimes you get to swallow insects :thumbsup:

3g4u
07-04-2007, 09:11 AM
On highway you feel it so much more. I was behind this truck like 100 Meters away and there was like all this debre in the air that was stinging my face and i couldnt for the life of me figure out what it was, it ended up that the big truck had a flap open on top and was spilling verry little dirt into the air. Even from further away it stung bugs are bad too.

Q-TIP
07-04-2007, 06:45 PM
i had a wasp bounce off my jacket as i was pulling away from a stop on a secondary once, flew up through the chin of my helmet and stung my eyelid, that sucked balls.

but rocks can smart a bit, a big one will hurt like hell at 100, if it can crack you windshield it will crack your noggin if your visor is open

Dooms_Bane
07-04-2007, 06:49 PM
jesus hahah then those guys that ride in tshirts and shorts... or those harley guys that ride with those black old school helmets that only cover their head with no visor >.< i wonder how often they get hit...

it's all so horrid! haha so getting a bike next year and wearing gear to see what it feels like with gear on :D

sjaswal
07-04-2007, 09:22 PM
gravel falling off a truck on the hiway is fun, mostly hits the legs and hands, not super painful, but very annoying that you have to pass at any cost :)
rocks would hurt for sure.

read on a forum about a big truck tire exploding with a bike beside it - not good, don't drive beside them.

Chris88CL
07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
I think it's a little different on cruisers with a full windscreen, but on a crotch rocket you have to be a little careful about who you follow and how closely you follow.

I've gotten some pretty big chunks of mud in the chest/upper arms and it hurt like hell. I've also had some massive bugs hit my visor (thank GOD it was down) that literally exploded and made such a mess I couldnt see out of it. Damn near took my head off.

Proper gear is a MUST. I hate roasting when its 34 degrees out in full leathers (minus pants) but its worth it in the end.

l/l/rX
07-25-2007, 03:12 PM
sorry a little off topic...how do you guys deordarize your gear after scorching days in like 25+ weather, including your helmets. cuz i cant just imagine that shit smells like ass after a good few days of hot weather and mad sweating.

haha and all you guys getting stung in the face, how fast are you guys going? dont you guys usually have your visor down?

Freeskier
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
A friend of mine took a bird in the chest while on his cruiser on the highway. He bruised beautifully. He said it scared the crap out of him, but didnt hurt too much

Supa Dexta
07-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
sorry a little off topic...how do you guys deordarize your gear after scorching days in like 25+ weather, including your helmets. cuz i cant just imagine that shit smells like ass after a good few days of hot weather and mad sweating.

haha and all you guys getting stung in the face, how fast are you guys going? dont you guys usually have your visor down?

My jacket never gets too bad.. I keep a dryer sheet in my helmet, just put it under the padding.. Pretty strong at first, but you'll get used to it.. And you can pull the padding and wash it if you need to.. I'm not a big sweater though...

mekeni
07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

get a helmet that has a "dry wick" system (doesn't absorb sweat) and washable.
you only sweat when you are stopped, but once you get moving the sweat disipates

shakalaka
07-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I usually wear a bandana and then my helmet. Doesn't smell at all. My jacket is always fine as it is.

Graham_A_M
08-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Honestly, try "underarmor" it actually wicks away the moisture, and keeps you surprisingly cool. on very hot days, when wearing my full gear, I keep a freezer pack in my inner jacket pocket. Its about the size of a " 300 page novel" I guess you can say in size, and it keeps me cool for a good two hours. It works great, as that mixed in with underarmor keeps you cool as just wearing a plain t-shirt and shorts.
The best place to get underarmor is actually ebay, as the shit at sports stores (IE sport checK) is $75 for the long-sleeved shirt alone:nut: Ebay? $15 shipped

Big Dangerous
08-27-2007, 02:42 AM
Happens at race city all the time on the road course. I had a gopher get kicked up from the bike in front of me and splatter on my visor on the front straight.

SJW
08-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Rock on the Knee hurts the worst.

eur0
08-27-2007, 11:12 AM
My buddy had a wasp hit his shirt collar and crawled down his back, probably not a fun experience, I have never seen someone pull over so urgently.

Dooms_Bane
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
lol damn lots of stories.

Big Dangerous
08-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by eur0
My buddy had a wasp hit his shirt collar and crawled down his back, probably not a fun experience, I have never seen someone pull over so urgently. OMG that same thing happened to me! There was two of them, I felt them hit my collar bone and just start stinging my shit. I rode all the way home and emptied their dead carcass' from my jacket and stepped on their shit even more.

Graham_A_M
08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Big Dangerous
Happens at race city all the time on the road course. I had a gopher get kicked up from the bike in front of me and splatter on my visor on the front straight.
Usually, if a gopher is standing up or close to where I'm riding, I swoop over and kick it, you can get those little mofo's flying, its frickin' hilarious:rofl:
Good times:thumbsup: