PDA

View Full Version : Bass Guitar Advice

DUBBED
07-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm looking pick up playing Bass Guitar, I'm a compelte NOOB but would really like to learn and get back into playing music.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to get into this instrument? ie. products, lessons, etc etc... Is there anywhere I can take a lesson without owning my own Bass? I'd like to try it before I drop $500 on getting set-up.

I just want to know where to start.

Cheers,

DUBBED

D_2K
07-03-2007, 03:17 PM
hey ive been playing bass for a while. when i started 6 years ago i took lessons at Sak's Music in the S.W, i didnt have a bass at the time and they provided one.

My first bass guitar was a Fender Squire precision bass. I would recommend Fender for starting out, they have wicked prices and a wide variety. I think it cost somwhere around $250-$300 only.
I also got the Long&Mcuade house amp ( i think the brand was Yorkville) which was around $300. You can get them really cheap or really expensive, u get what you pay for.
i hope this helps a little.

Teggy
07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
hey man, been playing bass for about 11 years now, great insturment to learn. Anyways, depending on your style and sound their are two specific types of bass guitars out there. One, being the fore mention precision, this bass has a twangy sound to it, its really good if you decide to play with a pic. Secondly, their is a jazz bass, this bass is most suited for the finger plucking method. Fender basses are amazing, i own three and they are all my favorite. anyways, long and macuade is a great place, you should also try axe music, and guitar works. (16th ave location). Ask for john a guitar works, probably the best bass player and teacher i have ever seen.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-04-2007, 07:47 PM
I would also recommend going down to Guitarworks on 16th and trying some stuff out. I'm not going to say "Buy guitar brad X" because it's all about how it feels to you. Some people love Squiers, I hate them and bought a Yamaha that I really liked.

Also check out the Fender Rumble 25 amp, it's very well-priced ($225) and sounds very good to my ears. Again, personal preference.

BigBearWest
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Squier makes bass pack for about 320. comes with guitar, soft case, amp, 3 picks, tuner and a dvd :)