PDA

View Full Version : how much for a MKIV supra's from Japan?

rouxel
07-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I no there not legal yet here in canada but they will be soon and i was just wondering if anyone had any idea how much it would cost to bring one up. including the price of the car.

I want a twin turbo model that is in the best condition possible that is very lightly moded or stock.

How much are the twin turbos going for in japan right now just to buy not including the shipping and what not. just the car?

Thanks

Travis

Crymson
07-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't know supra's very much -- but from what Gran Turismo has taught me, the RZ would be the twin turbo version? The one auction site i've watched in the past has 93's selling for up to about 13,000 (FOB). But there isn't much historical data.. Also, expect that price to jump dramatically (about 30%) in the months before the supras become 15 yrs old. I think Australia also has a 15 yr rule, similiar to ours.

boxer23
07-04-2007, 09:29 AM
hey, the austrailan rule is ten years, but besides the point crymson is correct, the price will probably skyrocket and the market will have tons of bagged and crapped supras once 15years have passed. The price for one now is about 10-11K, thats if you buy it, if you get it from an auction is will probably be 7-8K easy. or you could get a very nice one from what ive seen for about 17K

but your question was for no shipping so just subtract 1-2K from the above prices

rouxel
07-04-2007, 10:06 AM
fob? what does that mean. also when u buy from the states you have to pay 25% if its less then 15 years old right? what if i was to buy it now and just have it sit in my garage for the few months i have to wait till it is 15 years old then i register it and what not. then is it only 6%.

or if i bring it from japan now and have it sit im my garage for a year then register it. could i do that?

Super_Geo
07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
FOB = Freight on Board, and is usually accompanied with a location.

So say you're selling me a big boulder that needs to be shipped by an 18-wheeler. If the terms of our contract says FOB Red Deer, that means that the seller is responsible for getting it to Red Deer at which point the all liabilities are transferred to me.

Crymson
07-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Most of the auction sites in Japan will list a FOB price to the nearest Japanese sea-port. From there, it's your dime getting it to Canada.

rouxel
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
i dont no of any aution site. are there any that i sould look at?

rouxel
07-04-2007, 11:51 AM
ok my next question is:

Can i buy a 93 now and bring it in to canada, park it in my garage etc. without paying a bigger tax for it? or will there be additional charges for bringing it in early?

v_tec_prelude
07-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by rouxel
ok my next question is:

Can i buy a 93 now and bring it in to canada, park it in my garage etc. without paying a bigger tax for it? or will there be additional charges for bringing it in early?

It's not allowed in Canada before 15 years

boxer23
07-04-2007, 12:23 PM
It is allowed in Canada, you just cant drive it on Canadian roads, but you can use it for many purposed such as advertising, racing at the track etc.

JAYMEZ
07-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
It is allowed in Canada, you just cant drive it on Canadian roads, but you can use it for many purposed such as advertising, racing at the track etc.

Ya ok , but you have to prove that you qualify for those... So good luck on that...

Most of the JDM or Aussie Supras are Auto... I think about 95 percent of the ones I saw in Australia rocked the Autos..

Also if you have any problems with the Supra , have fun trying to afford to fix it :thumbsup:

rouxel
07-04-2007, 01:04 PM
ok money isnt my big concern. i just want to know if i can have it shipped to my door. then i will drive it up my drive way, into my garage. then i close the garage and let it sit there till the day its legal. if i can do that. then that is what ill do.

4doorj
07-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

Also if you have any problems with the Supra , have fun trying to afford to fix it :thumbsup:
thats one reason why i havent bought a supra yet

Crymson
07-04-2007, 01:07 PM
ok money isnt my big concern. i just want to know if i can have it shipped to my door. then i will drive it up my drive way, into my garage. then i close the garage and let it sit there till the day its legal. if i can do that. then that is what ill do.

If i remember correctly, a car brought into canada before it's 15 year date, may never be registered as a road vehicle. I'm not sure where i read this, probably somewhere on TC's website. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

rouxel
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
does anyone no links where i can find out forsure. or could i phone the border people and have them tell me? there must be some way to find out forsure.

JAYMEZ
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM

If money isnt an issue , then buy a USDM one , stronger engine and better turbos :thumbsup:

JGerke
07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impxus_e.htm

doesn't really tell you what you the answer but they do have a number to call. From their wording I would say no.

"Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971."

This would make me think that you can't bring it into the country regardless of the purpose before it is 15 years old. There is no mention of 15 before registration, only importation

rouxel
07-04-2007, 01:34 PM
whats the differance in the engines and turbo's? arnt they both 2jz's?

T-Dubbs
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
turbos on USDM are steel= can run more boost
jdm are ceramic= shittier and cant run much boost

both 2jz-gte

T78Supra1
07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
JDM---Smaller Injectors also a pain in the ass to mod to large single turbo's Steering Column is in the way.....big pain in the ass

avow
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
I no there not legal yet here in canada but they will be soon and i was just wondering if anyone had any idea how much it would cost to bring one up. including the price of the car.

I want a twin turbo model that is in the best condition possible that is very lightly moded or stock.

How much are the twin turbos going for in japan right now just to buy not including the shipping and what not. just the car?

Thanks

Travis
in all seriousness it doesnt sound like you know too much about importing. Get ready to run into some serious problems at the border. I would recommend you just get import concern to source you one in the fall.

JGerke
07-04-2007, 02:06 PM
read my post....you can't do it....yet..When did they start making them?

rouxel
07-04-2007, 02:36 PM
i phoned the number on the link that JGerke gave me just to clarify and it has to be 15 years old in order to get into canada no matter what. you cant bring it in and have it sit in you garage. Well son of a Gun.lol i guess ill look for us cars then

finboy
07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
its already been brought up by rage2, you can bring in any car with the right loop holes, how long it stays here is another question. search for more on this topic.

jdm 2jz vs usdm AFAIK...
-usdm has better injectors
-usdm has better turbos
-usdm has stronger rods
-easier to find 6 speed in a usdm car

hope that helps

Graham_A_M
07-04-2007, 05:13 PM
^ I didn't know the rods were different too, thats nuts.

urban.one
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Buy the car. Store at some Japanese friends garage in Japan. Then import it when its elligible.

Sharpie
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Buy the car. Store at some Japanese friends garage in Japan. Then import it when its elligible.
Yes because everyone here knows someone that lives in Japan...

Also travis just buy that one we looked at last night... You wont find a minter one than that for the price...

Redlyne_mr2
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
lol what would be the point of that.. haha I hope youre being sarcastic. JDM supras are shitty, just get a skyline then sell it in 3 months like everyone else does.

JAYMEZ
07-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

lol what would be the point of that.. haha I hope youre being sarcastic. JDM supras are shitty, just get a skyline then sell it in 3 months like everyone else does.

:thumbsup: :werd: ...

I dont think there is gonna be alot of them here... Everyone said they would import NSX's ... havnt seen a JDM one yet .... Supras ARE NOT cheap to maintain or fix or even mod... Trust me I would know lol

stevo 27
07-04-2007, 08:10 PM
its not gonna be cheap from japan either

when i talked to import concern they were predicting
anywere from 20 - 30 000 for the jdm mkIV and as mentioned
ceramic turbo SUCK push them harder than stock boost they go boom
the rods are diffrent and your stuck with rhd and for 5-10k more
you can get yourself a usdm mkIV with better turbos injectors and internals LHD
and less bullshit

and as already stated much harder to find a 6speed in japan
majority are auto wich sucks

in the end

jdm MKIV :thumbsdow

usdmMKIV:thumbsup:

CivicTunr
07-04-2007, 08:11 PM

I dont think there is gonna be alot of them here... Everyone said they would import NSX's ... havnt seen a JDM one yet .... Supras ARE NOT cheap to maintain or fix or even mod... Trust me I would know lol

on another note, is the supra out of the shop?

urban.one
07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
I was being sarcastic. But the point of my plan would be to beat the supposed run-up on prices in Japan that earlier posters were predicting when the JDM Supras are elligible to be imported.

mx73someday
07-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by stevo 27

when i talked to import concern they were predicting
anywere from 20 - 30 000 for the jdm mkIV and as

You sure about that quote, we've been quoting anywhere between $13,000-18,000 for fully imported manual twin turbo good condition examples.

I can't believe people are making these kinds of arguments against imported RHD Supra's and they haven't even arrived yet. The steering arm/larger turbo argument is pretty lame, there are plenty of cars in Japan that got around this!

rouxel
07-05-2007, 08:38 AM
sounds like buying on from japan right now is out of the question. maybe i will buy an mkiii from japan. i would like to import myself and learn how to do it. has anybody done it on there own here. any pointers??

Toms-SC
07-05-2007, 09:51 AM

So true :rofl:

TheCheff
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM

If money isnt an issue , then buy a USDM one , stronger engine and better turbos :thumbsup:

I'm lookin at a couple ones right now from the states, most are auto, very hard to find 6spd tt vvti but if u do it will be around $20000 US much more for like 96-98. If your going to buy do it while the dollar is high its slippin a lil bit.

JAYMEZ
07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff

I'm lookin at a couple ones right now from the states, most are auto, very hard to find 6spd tt vvti but if u do it will be around $20000 US much more for like 96-98. If your going to buy do it while the dollar is high its slippin a lil bit.

They dont have VVTi twin turbos... Only I do because I did a swap.

www.supraforums.com should have all your needs for looking for a car... 20grand will get you an NA Supra.

TheCheff
07-05-2007, 01:05 PM

www.supraforums.com should have all your needs for looking for a car... 20grand will get you an NA Supra.

shiet i didnt know that, so is your car an NA vvti block with the manis swapped and a big single?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441020

Theres a link to a 93 NA-vvti TT for 23000, 34000miles

T78Supra1
07-05-2007, 01:12 PM
It will be interesting what will happen next year.

I can see allot of people buying a 10,000 car from just a picture online. But how many people will pay 20,000 plus for a car they can't see.

But if anyone does buy one
I will start taking offers on the following :D
----Stock twin turbo set up
----USDM injectors
----Getrag Tranny

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

You sure about that quote, we've been quoting anywhere between $13,000-18,000 for fully imported manual twin turbo good condition examples.

I can't believe people are making these kinds of arguments against imported RHD Supra's and they haven't even arrived yet. The steering arm/larger turbo argument is pretty lame, there are plenty of cars in Japan that got around this!
Sure they got around it but the Supra here in NA is known for kick ass performance right out of the box. Its pretty sad when the kouki jdm mr2s walk all over the TT Supra. It's a big deal to start changing injectors and turbos.

Annoyingrob
07-05-2007, 11:21 PM

Are you SURE about that? I'm sure they produced the MKIV with TT VVTI from 98-00.

Importing a MKIV from Japan is going to cost about the same as bringing over a GT-R. Both are worth roughly the same, and their prices are inflated roughly the same amount :)

BTW, the USDM 2JZ has a more aggressive intake cam as well. The JDM 2JZ does have one plus, it's MAP based, not MAF.

Foreign2
07-05-2007, 11:41 PM

Nobody is importing them, becuase they are like 40k :S

i already looked into it, sure alot of people can afford it, but for 40grand you can get one hell of a nice car.. such as a USDM supra like you :thumbsup:

rouxel
07-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Well like i said i might just get an MKIII again. i already have tons of parts and stuff for the 1jz. i will probly just put money into my mazdaspeed with the left over money that i would have spent on the MKIV. sounds like alot less work

JAYMEZ
07-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by TheCheff

shiet i didnt know that, so is your car an NA vvti block with the manis swapped and a big single?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441020

Theres a link to a 93 NA-vvti TT for 23000, 34000miles

No , mine is defiantly not NA. It is a stock VVTi TT engine. 2000+ Supra engine.

JAYMEZ
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob

Are you SURE about that? I'm sure they produced the MKIV with TT VVTI from 98-00.

Yes I am sure about that. No North American TT MKIV's had VVTi and TT... They do have NA VVTi 5 Speeds. But never VVTi TT.. Only the newer JDM cars did , hence why I did the swap.

T78Supra1
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
^^^^ Just a question did you find a large difference with the VVTI some guys say its not much of a diff and some say that it gets rid of allot of lag.

JAYMEZ
07-06-2007, 12:15 PM
^^ Tell ya next week lol ! We are still doing programin with the SM4 :thumbsup: ... It should get rid of alot of lag... But i mean I am usin a GT35R ... so lag isnt really a problem hah

T78Supra1
07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
true...Thats what really sucks about the T78

heavyD
07-06-2007, 12:40 PM
The MKIV Supra TT is a highly regarded and sought after car. I would hate the streets to be riddled with teenagers rolling POS JDM Supra TT imports. It's bad enough what they have done with the Skyline. It was once a car that everyone universally liked but now it's borderline hated by many because of all the substandard versions that have slipped to our shores and littering the streets.