PDA

View Full Version : Everything there is to know about owning a Pulsar GTI R

randedge
07-06-2007, 06:39 PM
What is it like to own a A Pulsar GTI R when it comes to wearable underpinnings? (tie rods, pads, rotors, etc?)

- I guess anything engine wise one can just use SR20DET stuff -and a lot of people are well versed with them. (hafta learn as I go along) . Any tips and tricks?

But would a nissan dealership be able to perform.. say a clutch job? It should just be like doing it on an NX2000, but with the added step of a rear driveshaft, right? Valve adjustment/jobbie... umm. that's all I can think of right now.

-Was this thing ever available anywhere english speaking? Because I'm thinking along the lines of: I might want a shop repair manual that I can read.

-Is there anything one has to watch out for in a GTI R that's nearing 100,000km? I guess a
timing belt is no issue since the SR20 is a timing chain.

Thanks a lot!
R.

98brg2d
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
The only thing I can help you with is that they were available throughout the UK but you will have better luck looking for a manual for a "Sunny GTI-R".

misterrick
07-06-2007, 07:26 PM
i have a pdf s13 full service manual i can send you. the motor at least came in a few cars so it shouldnt be too bad to find someone to work on it. an engine is an engine no matter who made it or where.

randedge
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I tend to do all my stuff - save for the ones that require extensive use of special service tools, or large scale ones hoists for that matter.

So, parts can be sourced then? Hmnn.

randedge
07-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh,a nd what do I need to do to the car for registration? There are a lot of posts about this, but nothing car specific I have found..

As in, what do I have to do to the lights?

Basically, if it sounds like I'm asking someone to take me by the hand in here and tell me what to do, I pretty much am. I know NOTHING of legalizing a RHD car in AB. AT ALL.

Thanks

R.

PS. anything else you feel like adding?

misterrick
07-06-2007, 10:49 PM
parts can be sourced because all sentra se-r's came with the sr20de, same with older infinity g20's and a bunch more. its almost the exact same motor but without the turbo. it even has spots ready to be drilled and tapped for the turbo lines.....

jeddeh
07-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by misterrick
i have a pdf s13 full service manual i can send you. the motor at least came in a few cars so it shouldn't be too bad to find someone to work on it. an engine is an engine no matter who made it or where.

wrong. The Silvia's and 200sx's came with a slightly different setup in their cars. Mainly no quad throttlebodies, no distributor/wires (the GTIR sr20 uses a distributor), of course the tmic, some owners have reported that when they have used clutches for the s13 sr20 that it has made problems for them.

I on the other hand, have most of what would be the GTiR FSM saved on my computer, ecu codes, engine buildup and tear down, all kinds of specs, etc.

Originally posted by 98brg2d
The only thing I can help you with is that they were available throughout the UK but you will have better luck looking for a manual for a "Sunny GTI-R".

They were sold as a Sunny GTiR in the UK and area. In Japan they were sold as a Pulsar GTiR.

I'd much recommend bringing a true JDM one over straight from Japan. The UK has weather similar to ours and alot of their GTiR's have rust all over them!

Originally posted by randedge
Oh,a nd what do I need to do to the car for registration? There are a lot of posts about this, but nothing car specific I have found..

As in, what do I have to do to the lights?

Basically, if it sounds like I'm asking someone to take me by the hand in here and tell me what to do, I pretty much am. I know NOTHING of legalizing a RHD car in AB. AT ALL.

Thanks

R.

PS. anything else you feel like adding?

As for legalizing and registering a GTiR in Alberta, PM danayanch on the board. He had imported one himself and took care of all of the work needed for the car to pass safety, customs, and finally be given a title to be registered.

I own one in Saskatchewan, and can help you out if you need anything else. Feel free to PM me.

One word of advice: once you buy one you will get a disease. Its called modding.;) :thumbsup:

as for the car that is nearing 100,000 kms, change the timing chain tensioner at 105,000 kms. Swap the engine oil for a good synthetic oil, and put new gear oil in the gearbox, transfer case and rear diff.

Nissan will charge you straight rate to do a clutch, its almost better to go to a tuner to get it done. Also, Dana will tell you where he took his to get his clutch done.

As for the valve job, well, the sr20 in the gtir uses solid lifters. if they start to tick overly loud (being solid lifters they will tick somewhat) then you get to have the joy of re-shimming your valves!:eek:

There is an expensive way (going to Nissan, the shims range in small increments for sizes, but cost about 16 bucks each, are on backorder, shipping from jdm land, etc. or you can get a set of feeler gauges, cut the end off one, and stick it in. Same thing as a shim, just not with the OEM stamp on it.

I can give you more detail about the shimming but it is somewhat unlikely you will need to do them anyways if the car and engine are in good shape.