PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting the Interior

teg_boy
07-25-2002, 10:21 PM
i was plannin to spray paint some of the interior parts of my 94 teg rs...has n e one tried it themselves???....was it complicated???...is it hard to the whole dash and the speedometer light area???
n e inputs would be gr8!!
thx

Mortimer Schnur
07-25-2002, 10:33 PM
My suggestion would be to do all the dismantling/reinstallation labour yourself but take the pieces to a body shop to spray them for you. Much better results than you'll get from cans. And it won't cost very much if you do the labour yourself. You'll probably get some sort of warranty on it too.

teg_boy
07-25-2002, 10:54 PM
hmm...dats a good idea!!.....u know a good shop aroun calgary that'll do it for a good price???.....how xpensive do u think it'll be tho??

Mortimer Schnur
07-25-2002, 11:16 PM
I'd ballpark it anywhere from $75 to $200 for your dash pieces, door inserts, console pieces. It all depends on the sizes, the shop, how busy/willing they are. I know our shop avoids custom work but a lot of other places would gladly pick it up for some quick easy business. You could get some pretty nice paint sprayed, too. Like a pearl or tri-stage of some sort. Pretty wide open for color choices. A pro shop will use a flex agent/adhesion promoter and a catalyst cured clear coat.

It might be a bit more than the cans but after taking it all apart and putting it back together again, do you really want to have to do it again after 6 months? And when you go to sell it and someone asks who did the work do you want to say you did it yourself or had a pro shop do it?

teg_boy
07-25-2002, 11:20 PM
aight thx for the info...so do u recommend n e shops to chek out???...when i goto a shop... i dont have to take it back after 6 months rite?? thats only if u do it urself?
thx

legendboy
07-25-2002, 11:20 PM
Don't do it! :eek:

Mortimer Schnur
07-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Don't do it! :eek:

Haha! :devil: I am the Devil's Advocate! :devil:

teg_boy
07-25-2002, 11:42 PM
k now im confused!!.....why not do it??

kevie88
07-26-2002, 12:03 AM
A lot of people think it's cheezy. I kinda don't like it personally, but to each his own.

Stratus_Power
07-26-2002, 02:11 AM
hehe i think spray painting the interior to sliver or whatever is fine :D but if u start spraying it like neon or yellow, thats just ugly :eek: my .02

shadowz
07-26-2002, 03:27 AM
I did mine myself heres a couple pics

http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/images/12896_3.jpg
http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/images/12896_2.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
07-26-2002, 09:29 AM
i dont know much about spray painting an interior...from what I saw on shadows car he did a great job but I'm not sold on the long term effects and think that after a while with regular use it woudl start to peel and look like shit. Im sure there are plenty of custom places that will die your pieces for a resonable price. A friend of mine had 8 interior pices dyed for 80 dollars and they did a beautiful job

Fuji
07-26-2002, 09:58 AM
I did my own, just afew pieces to gunmetal... it doesn't scratch or peel and it only cost me 1 hour and $2.66 for the paint, the dash was easy too.

Ed the SOHC
07-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Mortimer Schnur
My suggestion would be to do all the dismantling/reinstallation labour yourself but take the pieces to a body shop to spray them for you. Much better results than you'll get from cans. And it won't cost very much if you do the labour yourself. You'll probably get some sort of warranty on it too.

I totally agree.