PDA

View Full Version : Got a big ticket.

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Welll last night me and a couple guys were coming off of groat road.

they clocked all of us at 134 in a 60 so we all have to go to court. but the thing is i was at the back, and i dont think i was going as fast as them.

do i have any argument? and whats the fine usually like in somethign like this.

infamous
07-06-2007, 11:08 PM
if you got clocked doing 134 in a 60, you my good friend are going to get your licence suspended......:drama:

Xamim
07-06-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by lil*tymer

they clocked all of us at 134 in a 60 so we all have to go to court. but the thing is i was at the back, and i dont think i was going as fast as them.

Ok so you were doing ~100 in a 60. Have fun trying to get out of this one:nut:

forced_eg
07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
question: why the fuck did you pull over, how many cars were there and how many cops were there???

even if a judge wastes his time to consider your case, he'll fuck you over, you were at least doing 110 (50 over)... dont say you werent because your buddie(s) would have been long gone by then

your best bet is to show up at court and genuinely feel remorse for what you did, best case is a 5-600$ fine for your stupidity, dont even consider points because they will run you at least 1200 to look at your case (trust me i know),

you WILL get fucked for 6 demerits and you WILL face a huge fine.. no way around it

trust me, im known as the guy who bitches about all of his tickets... your fucked

LuxCars
07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by infamous
if you got clocked doing 134 in a 60, you my good friend are going to get your licence suspended......:drama:

:werd: ,

if the judge is in a good mood you may get what forcedeg said.

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:27 PM
so i shouldnt get a lawer? i do feel stupid and im not going tolie to the judge, i was defiently going over 100.

basically they had laser set up and radioed to cops ahead.

im so fucking mad at my self but o well i gotta deal with it.
I dont think ill loose my liceance. its my first demerit ticket ever and im 22.

Team_Mclaren
07-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg
question: why the fuck did you pull over, how many cars were there and how many cops were there???

LOL, are you telling him to book it?

i do agree with you tho, the op is fucked. Best thing you can hope for is that they dont suspend you, and just give you 6 demerits and a huge fine. expect somewhere in the neighborhood of $700. Should you get a lawyer? thats debatable, but with that kind of offense, a lawyer wont be able to help you that much other then come up with some kind of agreement with the CP to lower your penalty.

btw, get a ride to court that day, be prepare. I know how that feels... its really shitty

Team_Mclaren
07-06-2007, 11:37 PM

I dont think ill loose my liceance. its my first demerit ticket ever and im 22.

yes, yes you will, 134 in 60 is 74 over. Thats HUGE. They dont even look at your pass history when you are speeding by that much.

Mibz
07-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Get a lawyer and there's a damn good chance you won't get your license suspended. You'll pay more in the end but you'll still be able to drive (If you can afford it).

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:39 PM
lol o well at least i dont go to court till sept. This is a real wake up call for me tho, ill be taking er slow for the rest of the summer. i cant afford this shit... it seems like my friends dont even care bout it.

2BLUE
07-06-2007, 11:41 PM
Got a ticket a month ago 84 over speed limit on highway #1 went to court $500 fine no suspention just a speech.

Suck it up say yad yada yada im sorry and its done.

ctruo
07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
First of all, ur a dumb fuk... I hope this experience makes you smarter!!

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:42 PM
yah we will see ill let u guys know what happens when the time comes.

thnx for the input

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by ctruo
First of all, ur a dumb fuk... I hope this experience makes you smarter!!

thanks, like i havent already been feeling that. lol its just to easy to go fast.

Team_Mclaren
07-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Get a lawyer and there's a damn good chance you won't get your license suspended. You'll pay more in the end but you'll still be able to drive (If you can afford it).

according to who? Which lawyer did you talk to that gave you that kind of hope? Under the new system (since last summer), theres VERY SLIM chance of lowering demerits or getting out of suspension, especially an offense such as this.

lil*tymer
07-06-2007, 11:45 PM
how long is the suspension usually? 30 days?

Team_Mclaren
07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
30-90days depending on what the judge gives you. I know exactly how you feel, im super paranoid when im driving now. Makes you think twice about speeding. Just plead guilty and show that you feel remorse for what you did. Pray to god that he got laid last night so you can come out with a huge fine, 6 demerits and a longass lecture on why you shouldnt speed.

Mibz
07-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

according to who? Which lawyer did you talk to that gave you that kind of hope? Under the new system (since last summer), theres VERY SLIM chance of lowering demerits or getting out of suspension, especially an offense such as this. Nevermind then. I'm basing this of the experience of two friends who went down for doing 160 in an 80 back in... Shit, probably 1999. One got a lawyer, one didn't. The one who got a lawyer paid twice as much but kept his license whereas the other guy lost his for 18 months.

If it's changed since then, sorry, ignore me.

Team_Mclaren
07-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Nevermind then. I'm basing this of the experience of two friends who went down for doing 160 in an 80 back in... Shit, probably 1999. One got a lawyer, one didn't. The one who got a lawyer paid twice as much but kept his license whereas the other guy lost his for 18 months.

If it's changed since then, sorry, ignore me.

sorry if i sounded kinda rude, I reacted a little cause there are way too many people who just talk right out of their ass and give false info, thus fucking the OP up even more.

To give you more info, I have had two 50+ tickets, one two years ago and one last year. The first one before the policy change I hired a lawyer, didnt have to show up in court myself and came away with just 2 demerits and a $150 fine. The one i got last year, I hired the same lawyer (which he did explain to me the new system), and ended up with a $690 fine and 6demerits. I was SUPER LUCKY to not get any kind of suspension. (again, pray to god that the judge got laid the night before:poosie: and he's in a good mood )

lil*tymer
07-07-2007, 12:14 AM
i can live with an 800 dollar fine... 6 demerits is hard to swallow but hey its my fault. whats a lawer cost? 400$?

Raven_R1
07-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by infamous

Not if u have a lawyer

Canmorite
07-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Call points or someone.

AhabTheArab
07-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Points will help you keep your license but it'll be expensive.

2BLUE
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
The day you go to court plead guilty then that way the crown won't beable to bring up youre driving record the judge more then likley will give you a speech and hand you $500 fine no suspention.

Thats what i got and a friend was caught doing 220kph and got his car towed and went to court $500 fine and had to pay all the impound fees.

EK 2.0
07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Wait, wait, wait...Groat Road is open again??...

road trip to E-Town anyone??

BlackArcher101
07-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
The day you go to court plead guilty then that way the crown won't beable to bring up youre driving record the judge more then likley will give you a speech and hand you $500 fine no suspention.

Thats what i got and a friend was caught doing 220kph and got his car towed and went to court $500 fine and had to pay all the impound fees.

???? If you plead guilty in front of the Judge, aren't you essentially agreeing to the full charges? Or are you talking about going to the CP and bargaining a deal?

I just don't believe 220 km/h only resulted in a $500 fine. Did you friend have kneepads when he went to court? If he really got off with only $500, our legal system sucks balls.

codetrap
07-07-2007, 12:46 PM

I don't think you should be fined at all. I know it may seem kind of harsh, but I think you should have your license removed. If you're willing to be such a reckless driver, then you really don't deserve the privilege of driving.

It would have been very easy for you to lose control, crash, or take out some unexpected cyclist and kill someone. And before you argue, it's been years since I was on groat road, so I don't know if they disallow cyclists on it or not anymore, that's beside the point. I'm not trying to be an ass here either, and I'm not ragging on you, or calling you names, or attempting to insult you. You may be a highly skilled driver, or you may be an inept driver, I don't know. What you've shown though, is very bad judgment.

Simply put, you've proven that you don't deserve to be able to drive anymore. We all bitch about bad drivers, the only way they're going to get off the road is if we start being tougher on them, and pulling their licenses permanently. To do anything else is hypocritical. None of this pissing around with fines, that's not going to solve anything, people can always make more money.

I know you say it's your first time, but that's not an excuse. You're an adult. You set common sense aside when you made a decision to race your buddies hoping you wouldn't get caught. Fortunately, you got caught.

Be thrilled that nobody was hurt.

blainer
07-07-2007, 01:29 PM
hey tymer,
I was in your situation a couple years ago. 155 in a 70 and what i did was hire POINTTS. take the defensive driving coarse at AMA and then fax or bring the certificate down to them and they will use that in court, that'll always work in your advantage and then on the actual court date go looking your best (ie dress pants with shirt and tie). The end result for me was the charge being lowered to 30 over.
I know all that can be very expensive i believe it was 700 for everything, but it's saving you from a suspended license.
This happened a couple years ago when I was irresponsible so everyone i dont need a to be told how irresponsible i was. i sure got enough from my family and haven't had a single ticket since.
-Blaine

5hift
07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
^^ :werd:

Reminds me of this friend of mine back in the day when the ricer fad was just emerging. On the way back to Calgary from a Edmonton road trip, he decided to test out the new "mods" to his 97 automatic civic sedan (exhaust and intake :rofl: ).

He got pulled over doing ~200 (speed limit 110) and should have lost his license but went to Points. A defensive drivers course and about $1200 bucks later he was still driving somehow without ever losing his license. This was after he was told there was no way he would get out of at least losing his licence for a short while.

So pretty much if you are willing to pay for it, you can probably get out of this mess. That said, I agree with Codetrap, in situations like yours, the only way people learn is by having to take transit for a year/relying on rides etc. You get out of this and you'll be playing race car driver again in a few months.

codetrap
07-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, perhaps permanent is too long.. a year should be long enough, then mandatory driver training, and a harder driver test than the existing joke...

mekeni
07-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 5hift
You get out of this and you'll be playing race car driver again in a few months.

:werd:

rage2
07-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Poiints was my best friend when I was young. I've gotten several 160-180 in 70 zones, never lost my license.

Is the new system that bad now? What's changed other than no more bargaining down on charges? Does poiints even exist anymore now that's the case?

lil*tymer
07-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

I don't think you should be fined at all. I know it may seem kind of harsh, but I think you should have your license removed. If you're willing to be such a reckless driver, then you really don't deserve the privilege of driving.

It would have been very easy for you to lose control, crash, or take out some unexpected cyclist and kill someone. And before you argue, it's been years since I was on groat road, so I don't know if they disallow cyclists on it or not anymore, that's beside the point. I'm not trying to be an ass here either, and I'm not ragging on you, or calling you names, or attempting to insult you. You may be a highly skilled driver, or you may be an inept driver, I don't know. What you've shown though, is very bad judgment.

Simply put, you've proven that you don't deserve to be able to drive anymore. We all bitch about bad drivers, the only way they're going to get off the road is if we start being tougher on them, and pulling their licenses permanently. To do anything else is hypocritical. None of this pissing around with fines, that's not going to solve anything, people can always make more money.

I know you say it's your first time, but that's not an excuse. You're an adult. You set common sense aside when you made a decision to race your buddies hoping you wouldn't get caught. Fortunately, you got caught.

Good point, we were all on our bikes and it was 11:30 at night... not a soul on the road and it was a long swooping turn into a straight away. highly improbably that i will loose control on a turn like that.

People make way worse driving decisions than that... i never drive reckless in traffic they just happened to get me on a rare occasion. once again i do not believe i was going over 120.
I wasnt playing race car driver.. more just its a beautiful night and im going to turn my throttle for 2 seconds. o guess what im going 120 now aint that a bitch.

i agree it was stupid but its not an offence a guy with no tickets or demerits should loose his liceance over.

Mibz
07-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

sorry if i sounded kinda rude, I reacted a little cause there are way too many people who just talk right out of their ass and give false info, thus fucking the OP up even more.

To give you more info, I have had two 50+ tickets, one two years ago and one last year. The first one before the policy change I hired a lawyer, didnt have to show up in court myself and came away with just 2 demerits and a $150 fine. The one i got last year, I hired the same lawyer (which he did explain to me the new system), and ended up with a $690 fine and 6demerits. I was SUPER LUCKY to not get any kind of suspension. (again, pray to god that the judge got laid the night before:poosie: and he's in a good mood ) No worries, I know where you're coming from.

stevo 27
07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by codetrap

your making 60 over sound like the end of the world :rofl:

kertejud
07-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Poiints was my best friend when I was young. I've gotten several 160-180 in 70 zones, never lost my license.

Is the new system that bad now? What's changed other than no more bargaining down on charges? Does poiints even exist anymore now that's the case?

The system is definitely alot worse. You can still meet with a prosecutor and plead guilty to a lesser speed, but I've only seen that with lesser charges (15over instead of 30 over and what not).

Something like this, its the new age, I can see him getting away with keeping his license, but with a huge fine and lots of demerits, but thats only if he's lucky.

Team_Mclaren
07-07-2007, 04:51 PM

when i called them last year, they wouldnt even take my case and advised me to contact my old lawyer.

codetrap
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

your making 60 over sound like the end of the world :rofl:

For my buddy Jeff growing up, it was. He got clipped by some jerk street racing while on his road bike.

Hakkola
07-07-2007, 08:08 PM
What's changed other than no more bargaining down on charges?

For starters, no bargaining is bullshit. I had a failure to stop at a red light changed to failure to obey a traffic device, fewer demerits and a lesser fine. This was just a few months ago. No pointts or lawyers involved, I did it myself.

Another friend got $450 worth of tickets for an illegal u-turn. Fines were dropped to 1 ticket, $180 fine and no demerits. Two weeks ago. He did it himself as well.

Xtrema
07-08-2007, 01:48 AM

You can bargain down. But don't expect to 0 demerit/$0 fine.

Pointts has a better chance of 0 demerit and I think they have the prosecutors for the afternoons. Hence, public access is morning only.

DayGlow
07-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE

Crown will still input his opinion on what the sentence/fine should be and use supporting documents for it.

Maddog55
07-08-2007, 07:00 PM
The best thing that could've happend is you losing control and wrapping yourself around a telephone pole. Darwin at its Best..too bad it missed in this case.

You're a fuckin moron!!! Too many times, wet-behind-the-ears, know-it-all Mario Andretti's think you're invincible and end up killing innocent people by driving like this. 134 in a 60 zone???!!!!! What..late for a party, were you?? Liquor store closing in 5 minutes?? GROW THE FUCK UP!!

So sick to death of that kind of driving. You think it can't happen to you...thats what every accident victim thought the second before he lost control and killed someone. And why is it the perp is usually the one that walks away, while a young child, or a mother of 3 lays dead in the wreckage? Meanwhile the driver is "Ohhh Im soooo sorry....I'll never do that again..."

:banghead:

Hope you get some old timer bitch of a judge thats as sick of this kind of driving as the rest of us are.

lil*tymer
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Ha Ha thats a funny joke. Thanks to the other people in this thread for posting helpful posts.

Your smart ass post didnt help me at all it just aggrivated me a little.

Maddog55
07-08-2007, 07:35 PM
ROFL...Did it?? GOOD!!!

Just what you need...is helpful hints so you can get around what you deserve.

This is a real wake up call for me tho, ill be taking er slow for the rest of the summer

give us all a break and dont try to BS us at the same time.... :rolleyes: You'll be back up to 130+ k's about two minutes after you walk out the courthouse. You're not related to the moron who owns a silver Acura RSX are you??

lil*tymer
07-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Haha jsut so you know my bike is up for sale now so i probably wont be.

U gave me a good laugh tho tonight i love the comedian wanna be cops on this site.

keep up the good work bigdog

redline
07-08-2007, 08:39 PM

Yeap they got me out of a 128 in a 60 zone ticket...

ca18det240sx
07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
your license is gone bud

;)

atomic
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
you're a fucking idiot . i hope you loose your license . i also hope every fucking idiot ricer who reads this learns from your mistake .

DayGlow
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
well at least he's on a bike so the person that gets the worst of it will be him and maybe who ever is dumb enough to double with him.

JGerke
07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
I find it crazy how easy it has been for people to get out of tickets in the past. From what i've heard, the insurance companies have finally gotten fed up with bad drivers being given a break and have gotten the rules changes so the bad drivers can be weeded out. Fine with me, get the people driving up my insurance rate off the road. These involve people that speed but there are a lot of other bad drivers I feel are more dangerous. In your case, I figure a lawyer or at least a call to points is a good idea. Being an idiot and driving that fast in a car is one thing, opening it up on an empty stretch of road on a street bike is another. Bikes speeding are fine with me, you are risky your life, not mine. Personally, having a bit of 'fun' driving is important to me as long as you are not risking others and are in control.

JRSC00LUDE
07-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Look at all the people that have never gone stupidly fast on a public road at some point in their life and yet likely somehow still told their friends how their cars will do over 200kph....:rolleyes:

And no, you didn't find out at the strip because most peoples cars don't trap 120+mph in the 1/4. Sure it's stupid but I'd bet 99% of us have done it at some point in time.

rage2
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by JGerke
I find it crazy how easy it has been for people to get out of tickets in the past. From what i've heard, the insurance companies have finally gotten fed up with bad drivers being given a break and have gotten the rules changes so the bad drivers can be weeded out.

Tickets are not a good indicator of good or bad drivers. I've never had an at fault accident, and I've gotten my fair share of tickets over the years.

The problem is that tickets are used as revenue generation for the CPS, which creates quotas to meet budgets. If the criteria for issuing tickets were the same (ie no money/quota involved), then it would be more fair.

The ONLY way to reliably determine driver skill is by claims history. It's silly to use tickets as part of the equation. Lots of stupid accidents are by stupid drivers who never speed, just don't pay attention and end up hitting innocent people.

All of my 50+ over tickets back in the day were at like 3am, where I'm the only jackass on a completely clear road. Just unlucky to walk into a 3am speedtrap haha.

SilverRex
07-12-2007, 12:33 PM
whats the penalty now if you loose your licences and caught driving again? jail time?

JRSC00LUDE
07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
^

Pretty sure if you "loose" your license they just make you tighten it back up.

TVG
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
whats the penalty now if you loose your licences and caught driving again? jail time?

lol ya paris hilton style

98type_r
07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by TVG

lol ya paris hilton style

damn, beat me to it

Isaiah
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by JGerke
I find it crazy how easy it has been for people to get out of tickets in the past. From what i've heard, the insurance companies have finally gotten fed up with bad drivers being given a break and have gotten the rules changes so the bad drivers can be weeded out.
Tickets are not a good indicator of good or bad drivers. I've never had an at fault accident, and I've gotten my fair share of tickets over the years.

The problem is that tickets are used as revenue generation for the CPS, which creates quotas to meet budgets. If the criteria for issuing tickets were the same (ie no money/quota involved), then it would be more fair.

The ONLY way to reliably determine driver skill is by claims history. It's silly to use tickets as part of the equation. Lots of stupid accidents are by stupid drivers who never speed, just don't pay attention and end up hitting innocent people.

I completely agree with rage on this one and here's why:

Think about the good looking/busty chicks that get pulled over and let off with warning? I dated a girl who drove around without insurance, expired plates, and sped around the entire city like she owned it. She was pulled over on 3 separate occasions and not issued a single ticket.

Drivers abstract: flawless
Driving ability: n/a

She was more dangerous on the road than anyone I know because she felt there were no repercussions to her actions and therefore continued to drive like an idiot.

BTW, I have a big middle finger salute to any cops out there who are letting off the hot chicks while you're nailing the rest of us to fill your quotas.

rage2
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
haha she was lucky not to get pulled over by a female cop :D.

My ex-wife got off on a bunch of tickets, till she got pulled over doing 120 in a 50 zone by a female cop (4am on john laurie). Ya that costed a lot to fix!