PDA

View Full Version : Premium gas versus regular

Nekura
07-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a prelude that recommends using premium gas, but with todays gas prices it gets a little pricey. I just want to know if its okay to use regular gas on my prelude. Its suppose to make the performance worse, but wil it do any damage to my engine itself?

Alpine Autowerks
07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
if you're that worried about spending the extra 5 cents a litre, sell your prelude and buy a smart car

Hemi RT
07-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Nekura
I have a prelude that recommends using premium gas, but with todays gas prices it gets a little pricey. I just want to know if its okay to use regular gas on my prelude. Its suppose to make the performance worse, but Will it do any damage to my engine itself?

No it won't really affect your engine, you should however get your timing adjusted to run on regular.

The only real thing that may happen is your engine won't run as clean and a little less power. If you decide to go back premium after then you will have to get the timing re-adjusted.

aypi
07-07-2007, 01:15 PM
what if, its the other way around. using premium on a car that only requires regular gas? is it bad to the engine and waste of money? :dunno:

Nekura
07-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I think i remember back in driving school, my instructor said it might actually wreck your engine if you use premium on a regular car. Something along the lines of it not being able to handle it and it could blow up the engine.

katana9x4
07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
do what the manufacturer suggests

rc2002
07-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Your ECU is supposed to be able to retard timing to limit detonation, but why would you risk damage to the engine to save a few bucks?

TE4MFaint
07-07-2007, 02:47 PM
So you can't afford to pay the extra 5 cents a litre for your car? Lets say your car has a 50L tank, that will cost you a grand total of $2.50 more to fill up your tank!

OH MY GOD! :eek:

Ichigo
07-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Nekura
I think i remember back in driving school, my instructor said it might actually wreck your engine if you use premium on a regular car. Something along the lines of it not being able to handle it and it could blow up the engine.

You wont wreck your engine at all. The higher the octane level the more consistent and controled the combustion will be.
As for going from premium to regular on the prelude. If you drive it normal you wont have to do anything with the timing. Though you may notice a change in gas mileage and power.

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-07-2007, 02:54 PM
You can use regular on the prelude, but just don't use vtec... You could also run mid-grade (89) and I think that's a little safer... But really, it is only a few extra bucks a tank.

As for the premium in a car that takes regular... I believe that it's just a waste, as your car isn't properly tuned for it. It won't really damage the engine, but you won't really see many gains out of it, if any.

Darkane
07-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
You can use regular on the prelude, but just don't use vtec... You could also run mid-grade (89) and I think that's a little safer... But really, it is only a few extra bucks a tank.

As for the premium in a car that takes regular... I believe that it's just a waste, as your car isn't properly tuned for it. It won't really damage the engine, but you won't really see many gains out of it, if any.

Lol not going into Vtec wont save shit. OP do not run regular for fuck sakes.

Little lesson: The larger lobes during vtec will actually help bleed off compression and thus help a little bit with detonation. What you DO NOT want to do is go WOT in a high gear 3-5 at 2-3kRPM. That might cause problems.

bmeier
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
this misinformation in this post is insane.
First off running a lower octane than you require might cause detonation which is bad, cars have knock sensors to avoid this problem. the knock sensor will change the cars timing to allow it to run the lower octane fuel.

Now if you are putting premium in a car that only requires regular you are not only wasting money but you are also losing performance.

Higher octane ratings mean the gas is less prone to autoignition. So basically in layman's terms the lower the octane the more combustible the fuel is. More combustion means more power. Ideally you want to use the lowest octane possible without pre-ignition or detonation.

BokCh0y
07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Running regular in your prelude instead of premium.....is fine if it's occassional and short term, in other words you are somewhere that doesn't carry or has run out of premium. When you run regular instead, the ECU will automatically retard the timing if it's a newer vehicle that is. However prolonged use with the regular when premium is required will cause pinging/knocking and after an extended period of use you will have engine damage/wear from the excessive pinging/knocking.

You gotta pay to play.....don't cheap out for something like that....it's only really $2.50 more per tank.

dooman24
07-07-2007, 04:04 PM
^ werd
the higher the octane the more resistance it has to re-igniting due to high compression and having a higher octane gas also means slower burning.

just stick premium

stevo 27
07-07-2007, 04:14 PM
stick to premium its not all that more expensive

BlackArcher101
07-07-2007, 06:53 PM
In addition to the others have said, the cost of damage/extra wear you will be causing by downgrading the fuel will outweigh the savings in gas.

Detonation=bad

If you can't afford the extra $2.50/tank, then you won't be able to afford the repair if you drive with lower octane for a prolonged period of time.

dimi
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
this misinformation in this post is insane.
First off running a lower octane than you require might cause detonation which is bad, cars have knock sensors to avoid this problem. the knock sensor will change the cars timing to allow it to run the lower octane fuel.

Now if you are putting premium in a car that only requires regular you are not only wasting money but you are also losing performance.

Higher octane ratings mean the gas is less prone to autoignition. So basically in layman's terms the lower the octane the more combustible the fuel is. More combustion means more power. Ideally you want to use the lowest octane possible without pre-ignition or detonation.

:werd:

Mckenzie
07-07-2007, 08:21 PM
My dad has been running regular in his 92 Acura Legend since 20,000 km. That car was almost $50 k brand new back in the day and recommended premium fuel.

Well it hit 400,000 km last week and the engine still pulls like a dream.

Take that for what its worth.

I use premium in all my premium required cars but did have a tank of regular when I picked up my G35 that the dealership gave to me (it was free so whatever). I noticed no difference in power or gas mileage whatsoever.

Yet I still pay for premium- well I guess I get extra airmiles or something lol.... :dunno:

Aleks
07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
My dad has been running regular in his 92 Acura Legend since 20,000 km. That car was almost $50 k brand new back in the day and recommended premium fuel.

Well it hit 400,000 km last week and the engine still pulls like a dream.

Take that for what its worth.

I use premium in all my premium required cars but did have a tank of regular when I picked up my G35 that the dealership gave to me (it was free so whatever). I noticed no difference in power or gas mileage whatsoever.

Yet I still pay for premium- well I guess I get extra airmiles or something lol.... :dunno:

Altitude might have had something to do with it. N/A motors can get away with lower octane in Calgary.

403civic
07-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Kinda off topic but
from what I have heard
for the 06 si's they need premium fuel
but if you go to shell and get that V-Power stuff you do feel a bit more power thats what I've been told
I've never tried it (cuz I don't have a si)

stevo 27
07-08-2007, 12:47 AM
shell sucks in my opinion

2EFNFAST
07-08-2007, 01:04 AM
you want to use the lowest octane you can w/o pinging/knocking

A3GTiVR6SC
07-08-2007, 01:04 AM
NA = Regular
Forced Induction = Premium

your prelude should be fine with regular unless you are that desperate for some extra power..:thumbsup:

Darkane
07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
NA = Regular
Forced Induction = Premium

your prelude should be fine with regular unless you are that desperate for some extra power..:thumbsup:

Would you Run a K20A with 11.5:1 on Regular? how bout an F430 V8 on regular? This is bizarre.. Ignorant statment

ninjak84
07-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
You can use regular on the prelude, but just don't use vtec...

:rofl: LOL :rofl:

katana9x4
07-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Would you Run a K20A with 11.5:1 on Regular? how bout an F430 V8 on regular? This is bizarre.. Ignorant statment

the only time that would make sense is if the engine is direct injection, like that new v6 GM is coming out with

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176825/gms-new-3-6l-v6-llt/

it has an 11.4:1 comp ratio and is able to run regular gas

hence my original post - just put in what the manufacturer tells you, they have much more experience with R&D in this matter than anyone on this forum

Mckenzie
07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Altitude might have had something to do with it. N/A motors can get away with lower octane in Calgary.

He's actually in Toronto- his legend has been there all its life. Very humid climate near sea level. :dunno:

Aleks
07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

He's actually in Toronto- his legend has been there all its life. Very humid climate near sea level. :dunno:

Nice. I know that here I can get away with midgrade in my car just fine due to altitude.

cityhunter2501
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
out of curiosity whats the recommended gas for a stock B16A2?

been using regular, and didnt notice any difference from premium.

FiveFreshFish
07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Nice. I know that here I can get away with midgrade in my car just fine due to altitude.

You mean in your 330i?

JordanAndrew
07-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Straight from the 5th gen owner's manual (Prelude)

Gasoline
Your Honda is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 91 or higher.

If you are unable to find premium unleaded gasoline, you may substitute an unleaded regular gasoline. The engine will compensate for the lower octane, but you may notice a slight decrease in power as a result.

We recommend gasolines containing detergent additives that help prevent fuel system and engine deposits.

using Gasoline containing lead will damage your car's emission controls. THis contributes to air pollution.

5hift
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
^^

It says the first line on the inside of the gas tank door for me as well. I dont get why its even such an issue. For the prelude we are talking about a difference of a few dollars in terms of filling up a tank.

Aleks
07-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

You mean in your 330i?

Yeah I have tried a bunch of different midgrades and premium brands and have noticed 89 Shell gets me 50 - 75 kms more per fillup. No difference in power or the way car runs.

A3GTiVR6SC
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM

no, not really... you still would use regular:thumbsup: it's a goddam honda ffs! thanks for coming out though.;)

edit: if you can afford an f430, i'm sure you can afford the extra couple bucks for premium... filling a ferrari with regular is :nut:

GTS Jeff
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Nope, you're wrong. Premium and regular both suck, but Plus is the best because Honda designed their K series to be a Plus engine. In fact, Plus gas was specially formulated by Honda. If you don't use Plus, your VTEC doesn't work. Nyah.

Darkane
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Nope, you're wrong. Premium and regular both suck, but Plus is the best because Honda designed their K series to be a Plus engine. In fact, Plus gas was specially formulated by Honda. If you don't use Plus, your VTEC doesn't work. Nyah.

Lol, thanks professor Frink :)

It's funny people don't care about actually using Premium.. I bet most people who want to use Regular don't even know when or how detonation occurs, or worse yet the actual effects on the main and rod bearings. You guys should run propane, it's a hell of a lot cheaper :thumbsup:

A2VR6
07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27
shell sucks in my opinion

i tend to disagree... shell gives me an extra 50 km's a tank when compared to others with the same octane rating... :dunno:

LilDrunkenSmurf
07-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
out of curiosity whats the recommended gas for a stock B16A2?

been using regular, and didnt notice any difference from premium.

I was told to run premium, midgrade if your hurtin... (This was from Sparx, who apparently heard it from shoaib)

Slashin_
07-08-2007, 11:38 PM
shouldve of thought of the burden before you bought the car
car was designed for premium

but premium in friends d16 /w octane booster made the car run so much smooother....

v_tec_prelude
07-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I used to put regular in my Maxima SE, nothing happened to it

stevo 27
07-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6

i tend to disagree... shell gives me an extra 50 km's a tank when compared to others with the same octane rating... :dunno:

maybe just the one in deer run last time i filled up with the
v power shat car was running like poo:dunno:

Annoyingrob
07-10-2007, 03:10 PM
My car gets better gas milage with 94 then it does with 91. The extra $1.50 it costs to fill up my (70L) tank is more then compensated for by the additional milage my car gets.

benyl
07-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
My car gets better gas milage with 94 then it does with 91. The extra $1.50 it costs to fill up my (70L) tank is more then compensated for by the additional milage my car gets.

I call BS.

94 from Husky will not give you better mileage. It is impossible as the energy content of ethanol is lower.

Your a/f ratio also has to run richer in order to compensate for the extra Oxygen that is contained in the ethanol. Otherwise your EGTs will be running through the roof.

My mileage is 10% lower with 94 on the same tune. I only run 94 for the safety factor of the higher octane rating.

QuasarCav
07-10-2007, 03:19 PM
After reading this thread a few weeks ago I've switched to Shell silver (89 octane) and I've noticed a modest increase in mileage. I used to get around 11L / 100KM in the city but I can now achieve 9-10L / 100KM while saving on every litre!

This is on a B17a which is lower compression than most DOHC VTEC Honda motors.

gpomp
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I call BS.

Xtrema
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM

BS, last time I tried Mohawk, my car run like shit and 15% less kms/tank.

Never again.

Gas thread seems to pop up now and again.

The truth is: USE WHAT YOUR MANUAL or GAS CAP say you should use. If you can't afford premium, get rid of the car.

It's only $6/tank extra, just 1 less Starbucks mocha and you're covered.

signature7
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
just wondering, if all gas stations have their premium 11 cents higher than the regular? i know esso gas is 11 cents more than the reg.

Dooms_Bane
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
ya it's about 10-11 cents higher than regular.. but it's really not a big deal... woo hoo liek 4-5 bucks more than you would have paid....i mean if the prices were like 1.10 for regular and like 2.20 for prem... then we'd have some issue i believe...

signature7
07-10-2007, 07:10 PM
yeah i wouldn't concerned with the price, but im not a big car buff and i've been using supreme gas for all of my cars, and im a little concerned if i caused any damage to it by using supreme when it recommends regular. i went to a honda workshop and the only thing they said was that it's harder to combust on normal cars.."but our honda vehicles would have no problems with running on premium"

Mr_ET
07-10-2007, 07:31 PM
if your manual says to use premium use premium and nothing else.

/thread

QuasarCav
07-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
if your manual says to use premium use premium and nothing else.

/thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/177399/husky-92-vs-esso-shell-petro-91/

ca18det240sx
07-10-2007, 09:53 PM
All octane is, is an anti knock additive. It actually PREVENTS burning to a point, so the higher the content, the less prone to pre-detonation it is. The most that would happen if you run regular in a car made for premium, would be that it would knock, which would tell your computer to back off timing, which would mean you would lose power and probably some mileage. The reason that sports cars/ higher performance engines recommend premium is that engines with higher compression ratios are more prone to detonation. What is a prelude...10:1? Im not totally sure, but i would not run regular on that, youre gonna lose power and most likely mileage from the timing being retarded, reducing the overall efficiency of your engine.

Annoyingrob
07-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I call BS.

Oh gee, let's see.....

My manual states that my car should use 100 RON gasoline, which is roughly equivalent to the 94 RON+MON/2 here in north america. If I put 91 octane into it, it pings, and the ECU responds by dumping more fuel in, running it around 9:1 as opposed to 12.5:1.

Therefore, I get better milage on my 94 then on 91. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions there buddy.

Darkane
07-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Oh gee, let's see.....

My manual states that my car should use 100 RON gasoline, which is roughly equivalent to the 94 RON+MON/2 here in north america. If I put 91 octane into it, it pings, and the ECU responds by dumping more fuel in, running it around 9:1 as opposed to 12.5:1.

Therefore, I get better milage on my 94 then on 91. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions there buddy.

You think you car runs at 9:1 A/F? HAHAHAHAH seen any blue clouds lately?

benyl
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Oh gee, let's see.....

9:1 eh? hahahahaha

People must think you are driving a diesel... hahahaha

I call BS again.

anhthanh
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
dude to fill up an 5 gen prelude is only 55 dollars if u can't afford that , u badly need a better job or get those lil scooter which gets u 100 km per 5 dollar tank if that concern abt gas

Annoyingrob
07-12-2007, 12:43 AM

You think you car runs at 9:1 A/F? HAHAHAHAH seen any blue clouds lately?
no I don't think, I KNOW. I had a wideband stuck in it to verify.

Supa Dexta
07-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Tell the car to eat what you give it, or its not getting anything..