PDA

View Full Version : How does my routine look?

codo
07-07-2007, 11:04 PM
So here is a routine I picked up off of Askmen.com the day one they already had set up, so i finished of day 3 and 5. I haven't ever made a routine so if it looks half decent for a beginner at the gym then yes or no will do fine and i plan on starting this on Monday. Here it is:

Day 1 - Chest, Back, Abdominal muscles and cardiovascular exercises (30 Minutes)

Incline dumbbell press
3 sets, 15-12-10 repetitions
Flat Bench
Pec-dec machine flies
3 sets, 12-12-12 repetitions

Lateral pull-downs
3 sets, 15-12-12 repetitions
Cable or Barbell rows
Hyper extensions
3 sets, 15-15-15 repetitions
Abs [every workout day]]

Crunches

To failure 3 sets

Leg Raises

To failure 3 sets

Day 2 - Day Off

Day 3 - Shoulders, Legs, Abdominal muscles and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Shoulders:
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Dumbell Front Raise
Cable Upright Row

Legs:

Squats

3 sets, 12-10-8 repetitions

Leg Press

Leg Extensions

Day 4 - Day Off

Day 5 - Biceps, Triceps, Abdominal muscles and cardiovascular exercises (30 minutes)

Biceps:

Hammer Curl

E-Z Bar Preacher Curls

3 sets, 15-12-12 reps

Dumbell Curls
3 sets, 15-15-15

Triceps:

Triceps Kickbacks

3 sets, 15-12-10

Tricep Benchdips

3 sets, 15-12-10

Tricep Extension

3 sets, 15-15-15

After everyday of workout i do the same ab work and 30 minutes of cardio.

Day 6 - Day Off

Day 7 - Day Off

BrknFngrs
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
whoa, seems like alot to do in 30 minutes, you'd have to be on a crazy pace. What did they suggest this exercise was geared towards? (building mass, toning, losing weight, etc)

ercchry
07-07-2007, 11:47 PM
haha wtf :confused:

umm there is no way you can do that stuff right in 30min

and too much ab workouts

davidI
07-07-2007, 11:56 PM
State your goals, how many days you can work out a week and current size (ie. are you a small guy looking to get big, a small guy looking to 'tone up' and stay small, a big guy looking to slim down or a big guy looking to get bigger?) and we can suggest a few good routines. Just remember...lifting is only half of it. The other half is what you're eating! That's one thing I really wish people had told me when I was a beginner!

TVG
07-08-2007, 12:26 PM
You have no heavy lifting at all...

smontyLS1
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
definitly seems like your not looking for more mass. Like David said, diet is just as important as your routine.

oh and its not to be done in 30 minutes, thats 30 minutes of cardio. A routine like that I would think would take at least an hour before cardio, then 30 minutes, it sounds exhausting.

codo
07-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Yes its 30 minutes cardio at the end not 30 minutes in total i was thinking 1.5 hours including cardio, and no it is not intended to get huge, I'm currently 5'10 and am 150 pounds I was hoping to tone up maybe gain 10-15 pounds, but no more. I guess with a routine like this it will be hard to gain weight but I'm not looking for fast fast weight gains I don't want to get chunky. As for days I can work out I was hoping 3, maybe do 4 days max. Anyways any help would be appreciated as it sounds like I have no clue.

lil*tymer
07-08-2007, 04:10 PM
5'10 150 pounds??? um i would be wanting to put some mass on that fast.

Routine looks ok, i prefer to go a little more often that way you dont fall into slumps and miss more days than you should.

and putting a big back day along side a big chest day isnt soemthing i would do either.

try it out foir a month and if your not progressing like you think you should... switch it up.

codo
07-08-2007, 04:41 PM
If I were to do a four day routine and split it this way would that be alright?

Monday - Chest/Triceps
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Back/Biceps
Saturday - off
Sunday - off
[I'm getting these routines from different sites cause I have no clue]

with 6-10 reps 3 sets of each excercise.

ercchry
07-08-2007, 04:47 PM
cardio every day (30 min)

Day one chest and triceps

3 sets flat bench press
3 sets incline bench press
3 sets pec fly
3 sets French press
3 sets tricep pulldowns
Abs

Day 2 Back and Biceps

3 sets pulldowns
3 sets rows
3 sets jailhouses
3 sets standing bicep curls
3 sets standing bar curls
3 sets concentration curls

Day 3 Shoulders and Legs

3 sets Leg Press
3 sets Calf Raises
3 sets Leg extensions
3 sets shoulder press
3 sets shoulder raises
3 sets shoulder shrugs
Abs

2 days on 1 off

lil*tymer
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by codo
If I were to do a four day routine and split it this way would that be alright?

Monday - Chest/Triceps
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Back/Biceps
Saturday - off
Sunday - off
[I'm getting these routines from different sites cause I have no clue]

with 6-10 reps 3 sets of each excercise.

That looks better, you will be able to push urself harder with somehting like that.

ZorroAMG
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Don't do Abs every day...MAYBE twice a week...secret to abs is to lose the fat around them and shred....cardio.

codo
07-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Don't do Abs every day...MAYBE twice a week...secret to abs is to lose the fat around them and shred....cardio.

Yeh I actually just happened to read that. The jist I got from it was if you have fat it dosnt matter how strong the muscles are if fat is covering it. I also realize I don't even need to lose that much fat to get what I'm looking for anyways so maybe I'll just do this routine I've set up and see how it goes, thanks people for all the help. Peace.

cake
07-08-2007, 09:19 PM
routine is horrible. try some deadlifts.

happydude
07-08-2007, 10:00 PM
If you're only looking to workout three times a week try a Push/Pull/Legs split on Mon/Wed/Fri, and center the exercises around the big three of deadlifts, squats, and bench press.

bulaian
07-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by cake
routine is horrible. try some deadlifts.
:werd: deadlifts are where it's at

mdeluxe
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

YEh thats true, its way too much

also, maybe start really low on deadlifts if you were to try it out, might be hard on the lower back

ercchry you are right on with your workout, its good for starting out, but when you get better and stronger, split it up more like:

day 1: chest/abs
day 2: legs/calves
day 3: arms
day 4: off
day 5: shoulders/abs
day 6: back
day 7: off

cardio everyday (or at least try to do it everyday)

and try doing more then 3 sets, aim for 5 sets of each exercise you do. let me know how it goes!

adidas
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
I dont think that you will be gaining any weight doing the routine that you have up. I think weight is really what you need at this moment because being 150 and cut just looks out of place and makes you seem like your preparing for the kenyan marathon.

Lower the reps to 6-8 go a bit heavier and eat really good. If i was you id aim to be around 175-180 that way you fill out more, but you still have abs(depending on your bf%) and your cardio is still there. Also running everytime you workout is a little excessive IMO, what i would do is run on your off days, this way you can also transfer your ab days to your off days.

mdeluxe
07-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I dont think that you will be gaining any weight doing the routine that you have up. I think weight is really what you need at this moment because being 150 and cut just looks out of place and makes you seem like your preparing for the kenyan marathon.

Lower the reps to 6-8 go a bit heavier and eat really good. If i was you id aim to be around 175-180 that way you fill out more, but you still have abs(depending on your bf%) and your cardio is still there. Also running everytime you workout is a little excessive IMO, what i would do is run on your off days, this way you can also transfer your ab days to your off days.

Yeh that works way better, cardio when you take the day off the gym

codo
07-11-2007, 10:05 PM
One last quick question I think I'm going to do the routine erc posted. Anyways you guys are saying 6-8 reps, so if I do 3 sets would it be good to do 8-6-6 or how does that work or 8-8-6 something like that?

ercchry
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
One last quick question I think I'm going to do the routine erc posted. Anyways you guys are saying 6-8 reps, so if I do 3 sets would it be good to do 8-6-6 or how does that work or 8-8-6 something like that?

do 8 the whole time if you are going that route... just find the weight that works for you so at the end of it you cant do even one more no matter how hard you try

codo
07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

do 8 the whole time if you are going that route... just find the weight that works for you so at the end of it you cant do even one more no matter how hard you try

Thanks a ton man. Oh yeh and I've been doing 1 minute breks, between each set, what would be good for this many reps.

ercchry
07-11-2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks a ton man. Oh yeh and I've been doing 1 minute breks, between each set, what would be good for this many reps.

no problem, yeah if you want to get bigger more weight less reps, to get toned less weight more reps

i have some buddies that are pretty big and when they do something like bench its crazy weight and they only do about 5 reps

EDIT: and just rest for as long as you need until you feel like you can life the weight again

wintonyk
07-12-2007, 12:49 AM

If you are workin in the 6-8 range and goin kinda heavy try like a 2-3 min rest. The 8th rep in each set should be almost an eternal struggle. Make sure you have a spotter

IRL
07-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Another thing, you will never gain any weight if you do any cardio. If you want to gain 10-15lbs, stick the weights ONLY until you gain the muscle mass you want, then start up a cardio routine. 6 months weight training, 3 months cardio etc...

FlamingC19
07-13-2007, 10:22 AM
^ ya hes right lay off the cardio for the next few months. If you want to get warmed up and to get the blood flowing in your body to 5 minutes of hard running cardio then stretch. A lot of this info is essential but breathing is another important tactic when lifting heavy weights. Work on the way you breath during lets say bench press and this will enable you to push up that last rep you were killing yourself to do. I'm trying to gain mass to and I do heavy weight with reps of 4-6.

Good Luck bud :thumbsup:

adidas
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM

If your trying to lift heavy do a 2 to 2:30 min rest between sets. If your trying to go the cardio weight a min to 1:30 should be enough.

Someone mentioned to laying off the cardio and wait until you want to start cutting is an okay idea. I still think you can do cardio and gain weight, so doing lifting hard to gain weight and doing cardio at the same time is totally fine, but you really need to find a balance because a little too much of one thing doesnt put you in the middle.

codo
07-30-2007, 06:25 PM
So anyways thought I'd bump this I know it hasn't been long since I started but I'm pretty stoked I've gained 4 pounds, so it's really awesome progress I think. Also I've been doing more weight than what I started at which is cool as well. So I'm gonna keep at it for sure doing the 2 days on one off.