PDA

View Full Version : Fight Science (national geographic martial arts vid)

Hakkola
07-09-2007, 11:18 PM
One of the coolest things I've seen in awhile, I've only watched about 20mins so far though. It is pretty cool. :thumbsup:

http://stage6.divx.com/user/gigabear/video/1356446/National-Geographic---Fight-Science

saiyajin
07-09-2007, 11:19 PM
ya watched them all on youtube a couple months back its pretty sweet
its much nicer quality on stage6 :thumbsup:

dennisaur
07-09-2007, 11:21 PM
yeah i remember watching that on the plane... that muay thai knee is fucking crazy!

mo_money2supe
07-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Only watched about half of it...it's already 12:30am and I have to get up early tomorrow for work; will try and watch the rest tomorrow.

On another note, does anyone know if there's a place in Calgary (if even anywhere) that teaches drunken boxing? I've been interested in the art since I first found out about it when I was the ripe ole age of about 3.

l/l/rX
07-10-2007, 02:13 AM
damnit! its 215am now! hahaha

o well it was a good watch! thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

V6-BoI
07-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
damnit! its 215am now! hahaha

o well it was a good watch! thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Haha it's 4:15am for me. But yeah totally awesome video. Very nice post :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

TimG
07-16-2007, 01:23 PM
i can't view this from work, but it sounds like something that played on Discovery a few years ago.

Is this the one with the fancy CGI and where they put accelerometers into the punching bags, etc?

If so their scientific method is somewhat flawed because they are using different people to represent the different arts. There is too much variation from person to person to be able to say that <insert art here> is 'the best'

IMO there is no 'best' art.

Hakkola
07-16-2007, 01:42 PM
The only thing that I remember them stating explicitly as the best was the weapons, and maybe ninjitsu for it's 1 punch kill. The ninjitsu guy was probably the smallest out of the guys from all the arts and had the most lethal blow. IMO, that is a pretty good indicator of how kick ass ninjitsu is.

You are right about how they use different people is not ideal for scientific method, but to find one person master to the same degree in 5 different arts is impossible. So for what the documentary is, I would say it is pretty good.

Besides, I only posted it because I found it entertaining.

wintonyk
07-22-2007, 07:49 PM
i think they pretty much state that the best weapon is the human body.

Ninjitsu is cool b/c they say that the way they balance is soo similar to a cat unlike most humans where walking is a series of controlled falls.

No martial is the best overall each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I love the way they show how energy is tranferred

Dooms_Bane
07-22-2007, 09:31 PM
damn great find!

haunt
07-23-2007, 01:10 AM
I wonder if they were actually freestyle sparring in those scenes where it was 1on1 and 2on1, I thought it was all coordinated because they werent landing any hits but then I saw the chick kick that tae kwon do guy pretty hard.
I grew up with a lot of martial arts but fell out of it because of lousy teachers and weak training. It's good to see that theres still so much real skill and technique in these arts despite the fact that theyve been filtered down through the generations, could you imagine what kinda stats the great masters centuries ago couldve generate? wow.

awesome video, really enjoyed it.

2jzgte
07-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Good Post, bored all night till i watched this.

nj2Type-S
07-23-2007, 08:22 AM
muay thai ftw :angel:

schocker
07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
damn, i watched that last night and now i just feel like taking up one of those styles.

Ekliptix
07-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Great show.

Hakkola
07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by schocker
damn, i watched that last night and now i just feel like taking up one of those styles.

Me too. Any good place to learn ninjitsu? :)

schocker
07-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I always used to tell me friends i was going to learn ninjitsu and i found all the places to get the equipment, but never followed through. perhaps a beyond group buy of fighting lessons is in order. i think the drunken boxing looks damn cool but i would never be able to have balance like that.

and nice sig pic:thumbsup:

USHER
07-24-2007, 01:25 AM
good video. but they should have gathered people in the same weight class. obviously a heavyweight will hit harder than a featherweight

Ekliptix
02-01-2008, 11:38 PM
anyone have a new link for this? The old one's down.

zipdoa
02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

http://ittacanada.com

Orlando Mancina is a badass sensei. He and his son are also in the military. I took ninjutsu there for a year and a bit, definately a place to consider training!

liquidboi69
02-14-2008, 11:36 AM
You guys should watch the new one they released awhile ago

Fight Science (MMA) it showcases Dean Lister, El Quapo, The Natural, and Jeremy Horn( I think?)

Bas Rutten had a harder kick and more deadlier kick then that Muay thai knee by like 50% calculated by chest compression measured in inches.

That was some intense shit, and they show you the science of submissions and everything, it was much more intresting than the martial art imo.

Throughout the whole show, these athletes all out performed the Martial Artists of the first one.

That being said, different people are capable of different abilities and what not.