PDA

View Full Version : Projector information ...

creeper
07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Was hoping to get a projector soon, I have quite a huge wall for it, but I don't know what 'type' to get, if there are different types (and I'm assuming there are).

I need it to:

Project DVD's at a reasonable quality. Does not have to be perfect high def, but so it will go unnoticed to the 'untrained' eye.

Thats about it .... not too picky.

Hoping to project onto a wall about 6.5 feet by 8 - 12 feet.

The room its planning on going into is completely dark.

Suggestions?

Street_Soldier
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
get a hitachi pjtx100 its an old model but its good. its HD running on HDMI. I bet u can get it for like 700 bucks new. Great deal. there may be some screen dooring but very little if any.

or u can get a panasonic 900 which is nice no screen dooring but its probably 2 times the price.
both are 720P.

jinexile
07-20-2007, 09:01 AM
I have a BENQ PE7700, for 2000 bucks at memory express you get the projector and an extra bulb, it's 720p and has a lot of hookups in the back

Video
S-Video
HDMI
RGB HD
Component x2

I've had it up to 130" and it looks great, it's capable of 300".

RawB8figure
07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
the optoma is a desent projector and the panasonic ones are good too . The last HT I put together had a Optoma HD-72 and coupled it with a upconverting dvd player so you get 720P. Look at oppo dvd players they have decent chips inside for the price. You may also want to get a screen. Eastporteres have good ones and good prices.

Here are some screen shots of the last one I did. HD-72/sony upconverting dvd and eastporter screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=749187

http://www.eastporters.com/estore/cart.php?page=index

gpomp
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by jinexile
I have a BENQ PE7700, for 2000 bucks at memory express you get the projector and an extra bulb, it's 720p and has a lot of hookups in the back

Video
S-Video
HDMI
RGB HD
Component x2

I've had it up to 130" and it looks great, it's capable of 300".
how many hours are on your bulb? there is a huge problem with the 7700's bulb life.

jinexile
08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

how many hours are on your bulb? there is a huge problem with the 7700's bulb life.

Way late reply, sorry, just replaced my first bulb that lasted me double the recommended replacement time, 2000 hours on full bright.

old&slow
09-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
the optoma is a desent projector and the panasonic ones are good too . The last HT I put together had a Optoma HD-72 and coupled it with a upconverting dvd player so you get 720P. Look at oppo dvd players they have decent chips inside for the price. You may also want to get a screen. Eastporteres have good ones and good prices.

Here are some screen shots of the last one I did. HD-72/sony upconverting dvd and eastporter screen.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=749187

http://www.eastporters.com/estore/cart.php?page=index

Nice work man! Very nice!

DSM_1
09-24-2007, 05:34 PM
If your looking a for projector for mainly watching DVD and you don't need 720p or higher, a 480p projector will do the job. I have had a Optoma Movietime DV10 for the last few months and its a great projector for the price. I use it a lot for DVD's, its a table top DLP projector and since it has a DVD player built in, there is no signal loss over wires so you get a very good picture. For daily viewing i do use a 720p projection sony lcd, and the Optoma is set up in the basement for movies. Again the picture is very clean and considering i paid $970 for it at costco, i think its a pretty good deal for ( projector, dvd built in, nice carrying case, 92'' screen). It can upconvert to 720p and has a VGA to Component adapter in case u plug in HD satellite. However the prices of native 720p ceiling mount projectors are pretty good nowadays so that could be your best option, if u want to have the 720p and its probably worth having that resolution at least. For me the Optoma gives a great picture at 480p, a lot better then people think and they do get surprised by the picture when they see it, i also like the fact that i can easily take it to friends house and set it up in less then 2 minutes and i use it a lot outside on the deck as well.