PDA

View Full Version : Is this a tracking device?

thecrow
07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
My dad can be over protective sometimes... Maybe for a reason. I just want to know what this thing is. It's located under the drivers seat in our Toyota Camery 97.

Sorry, I took it in a rush tonight and the picture is blurry, but you get the idea. I might get another picture soon, maybe I'll get a chance to read the text on it also.

There is also a black fat looking antena (about 2 inches, not sure) behind the rearview mirror. We do have a remote starter. I'm not too much into cars so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Here is that box:

http://fbelzile.web1000.com/pic.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
The antenna behind the mirror is most likely the antenna for the remote starter.

Lucky97
07-10-2007, 10:05 PM
just rip it out and see what happens

JRSC00LUDE
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
You'd think a car thief would be smart enough to know what a tracking device might look like.

boxer23
07-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by thecrow
My dad can be over protective sometimes... Maybe for a reason.

are you a girl:love:

thecrow
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Yea, people say that, but they don't know my dad he's like:

:whipped: :guns:

He's also a cop (works downtown now and doesn't tell me what he does).

I'm curious cuz I was at work and took the van (we have one of those too) to go to mcd's on my break... They next day he approached me and asked me what I did with the van at 7:00 (the time of my break). I highly doubt that he saw me, he didn't seem to know what I was doing. It just surprised me that he had the time perfect...

Coincidence? I think not!

Btw: Sorry man... I ain't no chick. I didn't want car thieves to help me but maybe people who install these things...

Tik-Tok
07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I suggest you get a new dad, yours sounds kind of kooky. You might not get much for trade-in value, but you'll be happier with a new model I'm sure. Try a new JDM one.

ringmaster
07-11-2007, 12:17 AM
you need to leave the house!

ctruo
07-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I suggest you get a new dad, yours sounds kind of kooky. You might not get much for trade-in value, but you'll be happier with a new model I'm sure. Try a new JDM one. LOL:rofl:

Your dad is kinda weird, but if u find out that the device is a tracking device. Why not get back at him and play a great trick!! Maybe you can drop it off at a strip club every few days for a couple of hours!

turbotrip
07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
yup thats definitely a tracking device, ive seen a few of those in my day

thecrow
07-11-2007, 05:14 AM
Tik-tok, that was funny and ctruo, yes I will play pranks... I'll be sure to do something.

Thanks for your input turbotrip. I just don't know how it works. What kind of information is usually stored and how does he view it?

Anyone else with information before I conclude that it is a tracking device. I'm still not convinced.

Thanks again!

Mauser
07-11-2007, 06:16 AM
It's a GPS tracking system. Monitors the travel activities of the vehicle and keeps records of locations, mileage, destination and speed.

It's likely a Passive system and doesn't show travel activities in real-time.

EK 2.0
07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Do you think that maybe one of his officer buddies saw his van parked in front of Mc Dicks and said "Hey that's Jim's van, wonder what its doing here??"

So then asked your dad and THATS how he knew??:dunno:

When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.

Euro_Trash
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Are you actually doing shit that makes you nervous about having a tracking system in your car? I can't think of any place I drive my car to that I wouldn't want my parents or g/f to know about
It isn't rare for people to put these in a car or truck in case the vehicle gets stolen. Last summer we had a river boat parked in our yard at work. Someone jacked a truck in another company's yard and then used it to steal the boat. The cops found the truck hidden in a barn a couple days later, because it had a GPS like that in it. :clap:

alpha
07-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Do you think that maybe one of his officer buddies saw his van parked in front of Mc Dicks and said "Hey that's Jim's van, wonder what its doing here??"

I like that, new sig...

arian_ma
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM

Why wouldn't Jim's friend go into McDonald's and check?
Or if Jim's friend was driving by and told Jim, why would Jim be suspicious of his son parking the van at McDonalds?

That's creepy shit man, if my dad put a tracking device in my car I don't know what I would do.
That's like the I-don't-trust-the-bullshit-that-spews-out-of-your-mouth-you-crack-smokin'-bastard device.

Euro_Trash
07-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Why wouldn't Jim's friend go into McDonald's and check?

Everytime you see a vehicle that resembles one of your friends' you go and check?

bobby_lu
07-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by alpha

I like that, new sig...

lol dont thank him, thank 1997 :nut:

arian_ma
07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Everytime you see a vehicle that resembles one of your friends' you go and check?

No but I also don't assume that whoever is parked in the McDonald's parking lot is doing something wrong.

Doozer
07-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Although there's some ambiguity in how it was presented in this forum, the Dad wasn't necessarily interrogating him about where the van was. He could've just heard from a (cop?) friend that the van was somewhere, and said to the son "hey, what were you upto last night". I think checks like this by parents are not only common, but expected.

What I'm more curious is how the hell this device was found. What were you doing digging around under the seats anyway?

Primer_Drift
07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
OMG!!!! THATS A REMOTE DETONATOR!!
GET OUT OF THE CAR BILLY!!! RUN!!!!

All joking aside, its probably a remote detonator. Your dad is secretly working for the KGB and doesn't want anyone to get too close to the truth. The truth that he is secretly working for the CIA.

Think about it.. when was the last time your Dad had a strange phonecall at 3am? Never! That would be too suspicious. Proof he works for NSA.

DannyO
07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
OMG!!!! THATS A REMOTE DETONATOR!!
GET OUT OF THE CAR BILLY!!! RUN!!!!

All joking aside, its probably a remote detonator. Your dad is secretly working for the KGB and doesn't want anyone to get too close to the truth. The truth that he is secretly working for the CIA.

Think about it.. when was the last time your Dad had a strange phonecall at 3am? Never! That would be too suspicious. Proof he works for NSA.

:rofl: :rofl:

The way your dad has gone about this is weird, but I'd have no problem with a tracker in my car, its a good idea incase the car is stolen or you get into an accident on a quiet road out of the city.

Doozer
07-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
I'd have no problem with a tracker in my car, its a good idea incase the car is stolen or you get into an accident on a quiet road out of the city.

Very much agreed.

OP: Of course, there's also the fact that it's the Dad's car! He could put 15 different trackers on it, paint the thing bright pink, and all you should be saying is "Thanks for letting me drive your car Dad".

Just my $.02

bosanel
07-11-2007, 04:47 PM
It almost looks like a remote-starter or something like it. Get another clearer picture, or even try looking for text :)

SI_futbol
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
put it on ur moms car

ercchry
07-11-2007, 05:00 PM
if you are that worried about him tracking the car would you not be even more worried about him tracking your computer activities?

schurchill39
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
p0rn FTW

EK 2.0
07-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by alpha

I like that, new sig...

I can't take the credit for it like mentioned...it's the title of a book.

Zephyr
07-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Put it in your Dad's car

sneek
07-11-2007, 08:15 PM
take it out, and try the remote starter.

thecrow
07-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Hmm, OK I'll try that the next time I get some time with it.

No, lol, I'm not as bad as I made it seem. I don't really mind having a tracker in the car anyways. It's just a trip I'm planning to make for a week when my parents are away. I just want to make sure what it is before unplug it. The last thing I want to do is break anything... I am lucky to use the car.

I looked under the seat to clean the car... the thing was under a mat under the drivers seat.

Anyways, I'll take a better look sometime. (I haven't been using it lately).

Supa Dexta
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Throw it on a train, and hide out for a few days with the van at a friends house.... :dunno:

BlackArcher101
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Doesn't look like a tracking device to me. Too many wires for a simple gps device. As well, the antenna must be located somewhere else, plus there is no port to download the data, at least from what I can see.

What would solve this would be the text that's written on it.

Mangina
07-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Hahaha! WTF tracking device? GO DAD!!!

483hp
07-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Probably the remote starter. A GPS or tracking device would be hidden more discretely.

The new ones allow you to track the vehicle in real time on the internet, shut the car down remotely via the internet, as well as set perimeters so that the car will shut itself down if the car wanders outside of it. Your dad sounds like the kind of guy that would prefer this type of stuff.

alloroc
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Could be one of four things.

1) A remote starter

2) A decoy to hide the real gps

3) A gps transmitter

4) A decoy to hide the crack cocaine you and your dad are both smokin'

With all the paranoia in your family my vote goes to #4

st184
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Oh its a tracking device, a Russian tracking device.

bituerbo
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Do you have electric seats? Heated seats? Could be more logical explanation.

Get a part number/FCC number off the antenna or the mystery box and google it. What does the antenna look like?

stevo 27
07-12-2007, 08:15 PM
um why dont you ask him wtf it is ??? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Palmiros
07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
here's what i think that might be.

Either a TRACKER or a speed recorder. As silly as it may sound, a speed recorder tracks the speed/acceleration patterns, etc.

Daan
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
it's a tracking device

when you do something really stupid a paddle comes out and spanks you

stevo 27
07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
its prob one of those kid watchers records if you speed burn a sign stop light
dont use a flasher stunt anything i saw that crap on the news
hahah

thecrow
07-15-2007, 09:46 AM
It's the remote starter.... I sound stupid now.

But that doesn't explain the incident with the van... Ill look around the van more.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sharpie
07-15-2007, 11:30 AM
It's the remote starter.... I sound stupid now.

But that doesn't explain the incident with the van... Ill look around the van more.

Thanks for all your help guys.
:rofl: Wow I bet you feel stupid...

Euro_Trash
07-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Holy paranoid Batman

EK 2.0
07-15-2007, 11:41 AM

TeamBestBud
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Zebra?

Sharpie
07-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
Zebra?
http://www.perlgurl.org/archives/blogpics/AfricaFieldNotes/WebZebra02.jpg
THIS IS A ZEBRA

em2ab
07-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Is your alias by chance Clayton4115?
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/290518-hi-whats-pic.html