PDA

View Full Version : Hiking boots

sweeks
07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey so i'm going to be hiking the west coast trail in early Sept and have realized my old boots are just far to worn out. I'm looking for some high end water proof gortex lined boots. I'll be checking out MEC and campers village this weekend and was just wondering if anyone had suggestions on brands to look for and/or other stores to check out.
Thanks!

Hustla8484
07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
check out redwing shoes at either mcleoud and southland NW corner or on 32nd ave NE and 19th street

not a huge selection but there is goretex hikers and good quality

Lanks
07-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I bought a pair of Merrel grand traverse 3's from campers village when I did the trail a few years ago. They were great and I actually still use them all the time. cost about $250 I believe.

Also make sure you invest in some high quality socks, I bought some merino wool ones for like 20 bucks a pair that kicked ass

three.eighteen.
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Merrel's are the best hiking boots i've ever worn

rc2002
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
MEC carries a lot of decent hiking boots - most are comparable in quality. Find the boot that fits the best and is most comfortable. You'll definitely want to break it in before you go. You should go on at least a few good long weekend trips otherwise the WCT could be pretty miserable.

codo
07-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Merrell boots are awesome, I used them tree planting for 2 months and they were onyl hiking shoes and they stayed together the entire season, while my buddies Boots were going to shit.

98type_r
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
You can try Out There on Steven Ave also

sweeks
07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
hey thanks all, and yes i'm going to have these well broken in before doing the trail.

HaganDazs
07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I just hiked the WCT at the beginning of July, what a fantastic trail.

something i think is more important than goretex on your boots: gaitors, make sure you get them. mud will get knee deep on occasion and goretex boots will not stop mud from getting in if it goes over the boot height

you can get the best boots in the world and still get blisters. so i recommend getting liner socks to wear under your wool socks, that way your feet wont rub against the boot