PDA

View Full Version : Pho So #1? YUCK.

clem24
07-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Has anyone eaten here lately? I was there today and the pho was sooooooo salty!!! Not only that but it seemed like half of it was made up of MSG (cause it leaves that unique dry sensation on my tongue).

Thing is, I started noticing this about 8+ months ago. I ate there, was disgusted at how salty it was, but shrugged it off, thinking maybe chef had a bad day. But seeing as how Pho Kim was closed for renos, I went to Pho So #1 today. And man, same thing!

Anyone else found the same? Needless to say, this will be my last visit there. :barf:

PINOY-X
07-13-2007, 02:23 PM
are you talkin about the one on center and 16ave ? .. by the K&Y market ... a friend of a friends owns dat one .. usually good there but i havent been there in months

gohan_bcc
07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I went there yesterday and it tasted fine like always :dunno:

SikAssR1
07-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Pho Kim is pretty nasty

cityhunter2501
07-15-2007, 03:10 PM
I love pho so 1, they have better tendons than pho kim.

although noticed that for the last couple of months, so 1 broth lacked flavours.
i still go there from time to time

em2ab
07-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Man, Pho Kim is the best Vietnamese I've had in Calgary yet. Comparing it to Pho in Deerfoot Meadows, some other place by the Regal Beagle on Macleod, and a few more I can't remember. They have the best consistency for salad rolls.

GQBalla
07-15-2007, 04:22 PM
pho so 1 is so sick.... pho kim is good but now the place to go is pho dau bo. the best pho is from the ghetto. hahaha try the pho with everything in it with the sate broth.... omg its delicious

liquidboi69
07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
which reminds me.. does anyone know any pho restrautns open righ tnow? i have a HUGE craving for it hahah

nos_efx
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Friend of mine found a black curly hair in her rice vermicelli, needless to say we are not going back again lol :barf:

spyce
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM
i went there last night
pho sate :drool:

PINOY-X
07-16-2007, 09:28 AM
vietnamese restaurant on mcleod and 12th i think downtown is pretty good .. its right beside ice ...

dizzle
07-16-2007, 09:37 AM
go to the ones in the ne/se noobs

SilverGS
07-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
vietnamese restaurant on mcleod and 12th i think downtown is pretty good .. its right beside ice ...

Its called Vietnam Restaurant heh heh

I agree its pretty good here. Different variety other then the regular Pho and Rice Vermicelli dishes

gen2teggy
07-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by dizzle
go to the ones in the ne/se noobs

:thumbsup:

clem24
07-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Man why does every single food thread turn out like this... Hijacked! :rofl: All I ask is "do you find Pho So #1 salty" and I get "go here and go there". :rolleyes:

But since we're off topic, my fave is Pho Thanh in Huntington. They're only 1 of 2 places I know of that give you those green things that look like dandelion leaves in addition to the basil :drool: ... Pho Xuan is the only other place that also gives that stuff... What's it called anyways?

nos_efx
07-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah I love those leaves, I've got to give that place a try. Southeast doesnt really have that much of a selection in terms of viet food. One in douglasdale and 130th sucks balls.

I do like saigon y2k at chinook though. :thumbsup:

NoFlo
07-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by clem24
...But since we're off topic, my fave is Pho Thanh in Huntington. They're only 1 of 2 places I know of that give you those green things that look like dandelion leaves in addition to the basil :drool: ... Pho Xuan is the only other place that also gives that stuff... What's it called anyways?

ahh...i see a pho connosieur is among us...hehe
i would agree those two are the more consistant and better tasting places to go...its my top two anyways! (but really :whocares: )

another place to add to this list is pho binh minh on 17 se.
pho dau bo is v.good too but super high msg.
pho so 1 unfortunately sucks assp...they were good 5 yrs ago.
pho kim as well...good back then but dunno about now.

KRyn
07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
pho binh minh on 17 se.

:thumbsup:

nos_efx
07-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Theres a place in chinatown thats got good pho.

Its in the little mall beside Treasure's of China (I know its closed). Can't remember the name though. They got some overpriced salad rolls too. The hoisin sauce there tastes like they mixed alcohol with the sauce.

adam c
07-16-2007, 10:55 AM
my gf is viet so i get true pho.. way better then what u get in any restaurant.. but before that i found the best one i tried was Pho Than up on 64th and deerfoot

spikerS
07-16-2007, 11:05 AM
my Pho is very limited, and i only usually get the chicken satay soup, and best I have found so far is Pho 501 on the corner of mcknight and 4st/edmonton trail (SE corner). :drool:

mind you, i have not tried anything else on the menu....

clem24
07-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by spikers
satay soup, and best I have found so far is Pho 501 on the corner of mcknight and 4st/edmonton trail (SE corner). :drool:

This place looks like the absolute DUMPS. They seem to cater specifically to the white crowd. They only have 1 pho size and it's expensive.

I went there last week to get a satay beef sub. Man what a mistake. First, it was expensive $5.50. Second, it was DISGUSTING. :barf: They overload the thing with their "secret sauce" (which is just Maggi). There's not a hint of satay. The beef isn't even seasoned. They also skimp on the veggies (2 pieces of cilantro, carrots are placed sparringly), and there's no cheeze. Needless to say, it was a complete RIP OFF and I am never ever going back there again. And to top it off it tasted like shit doused with Maggi.

If you want truely good, consistent pho, head up to 64th Ave and 4st NE and go to Pho Thanh.

spikerS
07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

This place looks like the absolute DUMPS. They seem to cater specifically to the white crowd. They only have 1 pho size and it's expensive.

I went there last week to get a satay beef sub. Man what a mistake. First, it was expensive $5.50. Second, it was DISGUSTING. :barf: They overload the thing with their "secret sauce" (which is just Maggi). There's not a hint of satay. The beef isn't even seasoned. They also skimp on the veggies (2 pieces of cilantro, carrots are placed sparringly), and there's no cheeze. Needless to say, it was a complete RIP OFF and I am never ever going back there again. And to top it off it tasted like shit doused with Maggi.

If you want truely good, consistent pho, head up to 64th Ave and 4st NE and go to Pho Thanh.

while i can't comment on the subs, never had them there, the soup was great. mind you, i have not had it in many other locations, but the soup there was the best i have had so far. I will try the one on 64th.

Euro838
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone here expect to go for Pho and not expect it to have MSG? I know from people that work at Pho So #1 that when it gets too busy and they don't have time to make the broth properly, it's basically just water, MSG and other seasoning, basically a package of instant noodles!

It's probably one of the easiest types of restaurants to cheap out if you want to.

clem24
07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Just out of curiousity, does anyone here expect to go for Pho and not expect it to have MSG? I know from people that work at Pho So #1 that when it gets too busy and they don't have time to make the broth properly, it's basically just water, MSG and other seasoning, basically a package of instant noodles!

Man this post alone probably explains my original post. I think it's like this ALL the time. SALT + MSG + Water (in order of largest quantity used). No more Pho So #1 for me.

Euro838
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

Man this post alone probably explains my original post. I think it's like this ALL the time. SALT + MSG + Water (in order of largest quantity used). No more Pho So #1 for me.

Just add more lime and it won't taste as salty! :) I'm just surprised you keep going there. I mean, I must really be craving for MSG in order to go for Pho and Viet food as no matter what you eat, you'll need a gallon of water afterwards. There's only some variation from restaurant to restaurant. Sure, it's cheap eats i.e. $7 a bowl but in terms of health and nutritional value, you get what you pay for.

Street_Soldier
07-16-2007, 04:42 PM

It's probably one of the easiest types of restaurants to cheap out if you want to.

It's clear you don't know how to make pho. The broth usually takes a few days to make and is never made on the spot.

LongCity
07-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Pho Dau Bo is overpriced. Pho Xuan started going downhill but has some of the best prices in town.
University non-authentic (because it's made and ran by chinamen) pho is pretty good, the soup anyways, the meat is terrible it has all the gristle on it; tai is better.

Weapon_R
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Pho Dau Bo rips you off, thats why its so overpriced. Their pho is the best in the city, but your bill will always approach $20-22 for 2 bowls of pho that cost $8.25 each. The ladies at the till don't speak a word of english so its not worth arguing.

eb0i
07-16-2007, 05:01 PM
I guess Pho So 1 isn't "So 1" after all :D

I find the consistency of the Pho broth at every Pho place very inconsistent. You can go on stints of months where it tastes just perfect, then one day you come in and you think you are either eating noodles in boiled water or boiled salt. It all depends on the person who made the broth and whether or not they taste it I suppose. My faves are Pho Hoa and Pho Dau Bo. :drool:

LongCity
07-16-2007, 06:36 PM
I think Pho 501 is So 1 in disguise. 5=S 0=o 1=1
Yaa digggg.

hampstor
07-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Pho Dau Bo is overpriced. Pho Xuan started going downhill but has some of the best prices in town.

I agree, hasn't been the same since the owner opened up "La Cay" down the stripmall from it to sell subs instead.

max_boost
07-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Pho Dau Bo rips you off, thats why its so overpriced. Their pho is the best in the city, but your bill will always approach $20-22 for 2 bowls of pho that cost $8.25 each. The ladies at the till don't speak a word of english so its not worth arguing. Yeah man! And I keep going back because I love that Satay. :drool:

They must add a 10-15% surcharge on the bill.:nut:

GenerationX
07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
i think that Vietnamese village place by deerfoor mall is actually pretty good.
doesnt seem overpriced to me. i think its 6-7 $ per bowl?

Euro838
07-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

I agree, hasn't been the same since the owner opened up "La Cay" down the stripmall from it to sell subs instead.

It's the same owner that own's "La Cay"? Anyways, how else is he supposed to afford his million dollar house, AMG C32 (not sure if he still has it) and a $100K X5 selling Pho at $6-7!!! :)

Cool guy! Knows how to live life (and spend) to the fullest! Party with him for a night and it's guaranteed you're not going home vertically!

Euro838
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah man! And I keep going back because I love that Satay. :drool:

+1 for the Satay there, can't say I've had anything better!

clem24
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by GenerationX
i think that Vietnamese village place by deerfoor mall is actually pretty good.
doesnt seem overpriced to me. i think its 6-7 $ per bowl?

Are you Asian or White (or other)?

Hmm. I have to try this Pho Dau Bo place.

GenerationX
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
^ lol im asian :D

Weapon_R
07-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah man! And I keep going back because I love that Satay. :drool:

haha yup, but thats the price you pay for having the best pho in calgary. I've gone to a lot of but none seem to compare.

Once I bitched at them for the bill and found out that they charge for tea, despite not asking you if you want any. But even without tea, the bill is never what it should be.

Quiet10
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
There's this little place in chinatown on Centre St. called Pho Hong.. it's newer but I like their waitresses cause they're really friendly and speak fluent english. Their prices arent bad either, and food doesn't take forever to come. One of my favorite spots now..:drool:

hoamic11
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Man, that pho dau bo, wasn't that great when I went there last year. I mainly go to Pho Binh Minh or Pho Xuan.

anybody try any of the other places like pho hoa or pho 88???

clem24
07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by GenerationX
^ lol im asian :D

Man.. haha do yourself a favour and drive the 1 minute up 64th to Hunterhorn plaza and eat at Pho Thanh. People only go to Viet Village b/c it's close by to all those offices... Or they just don't know better. :nut:

Honestly though, I think pho preference is kinda like pizza. I think they discovered that your favorite pizza is whatever you're used to. But then there are times when Pho is just PLAIN BAD like Pho So #1 and that place in the strip mall on 16th Ave right across from Peter's. :barf: Their pho tastes worse than plain boiled water with noodles.

Pho 88 has AWESOME spring rolls! HANDS DOWN best in Calgary. :drool: Their pho is ok. Definitely MSG heavy, and their satay is deadly (i usually feel it in my tummy afterwards - not good). I can take pretty hot food, but that stuff usually don't make me feel good (i.e. it goes down fine, but then doesn't sit well). I recommend satay on the side. My problem is that I love the Spiracha hot sauce, so even with satay, I'll eat it with hot sauce. Most places are ok, but 88 just takes me over the edge..! (and I never learn my lesson either

What's Pho Binh Minh.. Is that the one on Centre across from the Shoppers Drug Mart? If so, I thought that place sucked. Their spring rolls were worse. Pho didn't quite have the taste (but probably getting back to whatever you are used to).

LongCity
07-20-2007, 07:23 AM

It's the same owner that own's "La Cay"? Anyways, how else is he supposed to afford his million dollar house, AMG C32 (not sure if he still has it) and a $100K X5 selling Pho at $6-7!!! :)

Cool guy! Knows how to live life (and spend) to the fullest! Party with him for a night and it's guaranteed you're not going home vertically!

Cash only, they can hide from their taxes.

Speed_69
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
where's this pho dau bo?

Euro838
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
110-4909 17 Avenue SE

Basically go down 17 ave SE (east side of deerfoot.) If you know where Noodle World is, then it's basically beside there. Definitely would recommend the Satay there.

Weapon_R
07-20-2007, 09:58 AM

What's Pho Binh Minh.. Is that the one on Centre across from the Shoppers Drug Mart? If so, I thought that place sucked. Their spring rolls were worse. Pho didn't quite have the taste (but probably getting back to whatever you are used to).

Pho Binh Minh is on 17th avenue SE next to the Pizza Hut. I went to try it out yesterday, and it's pretty good, good service, good prices.

clem24
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Just got back from Pho Dau Bo.. Man that place is crazy busy, and HOLY CRAP is it ever EXPENSIVE!!! Regular size sate is something like $7.50 and spring rolls are $6!!! My bill came out to almost $16 after tax and tip for the above. My usual pho bill is about $10-12.

I thought the sate was "ok". It tasted good, but I didn't like it as much because the broth was not clear. This is more the Bo Hue Sate stuff or whatever. I also didn't like that nutty flavour. But I do see it's appeal for some. But they do seem to use much less MSG than Pho 88 (I can usually feel by judging the dryness of my tongue afterwards).

Spring rolls were fresh but not that good at all. It was filled with some weird fatty/gooey/nasty substance.

And yeah, the staff a.) only speak vietnamese and b.) are rude. We went with my co-worker (doesn't eat pork) and we were trying to figure out what was in the "fresh spring roll" (rice wrap variety).

Me: So what's inside this?
Them: 3. You get three.
( Tries to walk away until I call them right back)
Me: ok, but what's inside.. Shrimp, pork?
Them: Yes. Pork. This one (points to the "pork spring roll" just below it).
Me: um.. Ok thanks. Yes I know. But what's in this one?
Them: Yes. Rice wrap.
Me: OK I know it's a rice wrap... But what is wrapped inside?
Them: (Points to some other table) Looks like that, Ok?
(walks away).

Then a minute goes by and they send another woman who seems to know 2 more words of english. So anyway, we just figured it was pork and left it at that.

My fave is still Pho Thanh. FTMFW!!!

Street_Soldier
07-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah i don't like going to Pho Dau Bo and Noodles World. The staff is always rude to me, my friends and my family.

clem24
07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
LOL I think rudeness is a staple of Asian places. I guess I get used to it since I am Asian.. :D Last night, we went to Y2k across from McMahon. We were getting seated, when another table told the lady "we're ready to order". In the more RUDE voice EVER, the lady yells "I AM NOT A WAITER!" and gives them an evil look and walks off. LOL it was funny and disheartening at the same time. I would've told her to F off. All she had to say was "I'll find a waiter". Even if she doesn't find the waiter, that's another story. But man, even her tone of voice.. I wouldn't even use that on my dog.

STi403
07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
For Taste Pho Dou Bo. For Service And Fair Price Check Out quyyns by spectrum @ sunridge.

max_boost
07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah I can't believe I didn't mention one of my other favorites.

Sunny's Pho in Chinatown East of Center Street on 2nd AVE SE. It's on the second floor above Golden Happiness Bakery.

Been going there for over 7 years now, owners/servers all speak English/Chinese/Vietnamese and service is always good. Good prices too :D

Sorath
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
pho so 1 is sooo goooodddd, but i like pho 88 better

CivicTunr
07-24-2007, 06:30 PM
uhhh, im white and im just curious what PHO is?:confused:

szw
07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

Are white people allowed to use google?

bigbadboss101
07-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Ymmmm I crave Pho about now. Working in Fort Mac and we get no vietnamese, Indian, Thai, Greek, Korean, etc etc etc.

Jynx
07-28-2007, 11:57 AM
ok guys
the best pho is when the noodles separate properly
the cuts of meat are clean and not chunked together (like the lowest quality meat)
and the soup actually tastes like pho - not just noodles water and meat

and honestly do we ever go to a pho place and expect GOOD SERVICE?
helllll no

Honestly, I've had pho everywhere and the best I've ever had is in edmonton at Tau Bay in downtown. The noodles separate so well, the soup is BOILING hot and the cuts of meat are perfectly done (a bit low on the amount of meat though).
They have the RUDEST service with no english at all.

These guys are so crazy.. I went to have pho on like july 2nd or 3rd last year and there was a sign up on their door saying "Gone to Vietnam. We will re-open on August 25th" or something like that. But crazy fuck what kind of restaraunt randomly closes for 2 months to go on vacation.

The vietnamese kind.

When I'm in calgary I go to the place on 130th off Mckenzie and they're not bad. The servers are NOT asian haha they can speak perfect english and they're actually quite friendly. I was so amazed when I had it the first time and it was a white guy serving me haha I tipped him good haha.

dragonone
07-30-2007, 08:44 AM
pho near 16th ave / 19th st. NE :thumbsup:
everything else is :barf: to ok

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 09:38 AM
anyone know what time pho so 1 is open at?

toyboy88
09-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

Vietnamese noodle soup, usually with beef slices.

Google it Jared ;)

dj_rice
09-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

Vietnamese noodle soup, usually with beef slices.

Google it Jared ;)

Thinly sliced beef that is usually raw, the hot broth cooks it by the time it comes to the table and tripe, meatballs.....Pho Dac Biet is the usual winner

INITIALD
09-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
anyone know what time pho so 1 is open at?

The earliest ive been there is 11:00 i think.

l/l/rX
09-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by INITIALD

The earliest ive been there is 11:00 i think.

ya nvm...whitepages.ca > me...they open @ 10...haha mmm pho @ 10 in the morning...

LLLimit
09-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Jynx

Honestly, I've had pho everywhere and the best I've ever had is in edmonton at Tau Bay in downtown.

haha you dont want to know the rumors i've heard about this place. But i have to admit it's pretty good, when they're open that is.

pkboy
09-18-2007, 06:23 PM
too much MSG...

and last time I went there...I had to served myself....have to get water ,menu myself.....

@_@

snowboard
09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by STi403
For Taste Pho Dou Bo. For Service And Fair Price Check Out quyyns by spectrum @ sunridge.

haha i eat at quyyns all the time. all my asian buddies seem to enjoy it? i just eat other things then pho though haha...
infact i ate there last night for dinner #3, it was good!

clem24
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey is it just me, or is Pho Kim REALLY good now (after the renos)? I used to only go there out of sheer convenience, but now I go there because I actually want their pho! Their soup is really good. The recipe changed or something, and it's really really consistent. Not sure what they put it in (nicotine?). Doesn't seem to be more MSG, b/c I can usually feel the after effects of it on my tongue.

Haven't tried spring rolls though. That probably hasn't changed (i.e. sucks).

liquidboi69
10-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Pho Kim's spring rolls are so so i find, they sometimes come dry and sometimes come very doughy. Im not viet, so i dont know what their spring rolls actually taste liek, but i like it when its moist inside and the roll itself isn't overpowering the flavour of the meat inside. I also like my springrolls a bit sweet, thats why i always dip that sauce lol.