PDA

View Full Version : Accounts Payable Clerk

2.2vtec
07-13-2007, 04:35 PM
A friend of mine was wanting to join a oil and gas company as a accounts payalbe clerk..what are the day to day functions of a position like that?

PeterGTiR
07-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Entering invoices and printing cheques - all day long.

silvercivicsir
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
don't forget talking to vendors about the status of their invoices. Your phone never stops ringing.

finboy
07-30-2007, 05:47 PM
data entry with a fancy title

PeterGTiR
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
The crazy thing is, last week I saw a job posting on the Robert Half website and they were paying AP $45,000 - 55,000...that's more than articling students are paid when they first start out...

The only difference is that there is a lot more potential with articling...

jay42w8
07-30-2007, 11:09 PM
hmm...before I started with CRA...I was offered an AP position with a small/medium oil and gas firm and they were only paying 30-33....that 45-55 has to be a senior level position with a bigger oil and gas firm

finboy
07-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
hmm...before I started with CRA...I was offered an AP position with a small/medium oil and gas firm and they were only paying 30-33....that 45-55 has to be a senior level position with a bigger oil and gas firm

45+ is rare, usually its under 40 and there isn't much higher to go then ap clerk, BUT its a good way to get into a oil company and move into other departments.

DUBBED
08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I audited the AP Clerks recently, and let me just say, knowing what I know now it's a career that I'm definately going to avoid if at all possible. Seems so mundane and routine.

Average Day:

- recieve invoice
- verify amounts/vendor/dates/addresses
- send out for approval
- recieve approved invoice
- verify proper approval
- enter into database
- repeat

Depending on what your career goals are it's really not a bad place to start. If you don't mind doing simple and unexciting work then it's perfect, if you want to move around departments the only thing it really prepares you for is something like payroll. You don't really get an opportunity to learn about the field operations so its hard to move into a position that requires it, ie JV Accounting or Production accounting.

BUT like said above, very good opportunity to get in and move around a little bit!

jay42w8
08-01-2007, 05:30 PM
from my experience, the A/P and A/R department is mostly women, and sometimes u get some cute chicks:poosie:, like the place I worked on, this hot little filipina....too bad she had a bf

Dayclone
08-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I guess this is the type of job I'll be gettin with my Business Admin. Diploma...

But anything that can pay over 40K+?

jay42w8
08-05-2007, 11:46 PM
if you have your Intermediate Accounting...you can apply at CRA to be a Tax Auditor...starting pay is 49G's right now

don't pm, me its on the website... www.cra.gc.ca

whodiman
08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
if you have your Intermediate Accounting...you can apply at CRA to be a Tax Auditor...starting pay is 49G's right now

don't pm, me its on the website... www.cra.gc.ca

I see the union has been doing its job. Back in the day when i was there they only paid 39k to start.

Btw for most oil producing companies...(I don't mean oil servicing) AP will start around 45k.

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
whodi...what kind of work are you doing now? I will be done CGA in a year's time with almost 3 years Auditor experience, what do you think I can fetch....I'm thinking an Analyst position with big 4....but what about in oil and gas?

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 12:46 PM
whodi...what kind of work are you doing now? I will be done CGA in a year's time with almost 3 years Auditor experience, what do you think I can fetch....I'm thinking an Analyst position with big 4....but what about in oil and gas?

Internal auditing???

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
The Oil/gas company I work at starts ACCREC/AP/JV people around 45-50 salary plus compensation that makes it close to 60K starting.

Industry is where the money is at IMO.

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma

Internal auditing???

I haven't done anything in Internal Auditting though? don't I need my Internal Auditting designation?

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 08:06 PM
The Oil/gas company I work at starts ACCREC/AP/JV people around 45-50 salary plus compensation that makes it close to 60K starting.

Industry is where the money is at IMO.

that is such bullshit, but I guess costs are so high in this city that even that kind of money is crap

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 08:09 PM

that is such bullshit, but I guess costs are so high in this city that even that kind of money is crap

What is bullshit about it? Im a bit confused by your statement.

Also, you said you have 3 years of auditing experience?

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 08:56 PM
you don't think starting in AP at up to 60g's a year is bullshit? you don't even need a diploma for that?...if the economy ever goes bust they will go back to making 10 bucks an hour (that's how much they pay in Vancouver) guarenteed, and what are they gonna have on their resume...oh I entered invoices all day (cough...data entry)....filing, made some reports at month end

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 09:17 PM
you don't think starting in AP at up to 60g's a year is bullshit? you don't even need a diploma for that?...if the economy ever goes bust they will go back to making 10 bucks an hour (that's how much they pay in Vancouver) guarenteed, and what are they gonna have on their resume...oh I entered invoices all day (cough...data entry)....filing, made some reports at month end

Actually all the people I work with have a diploma or a degree.

Also, it isn't enterting invoices. Maybe in smal, comapny but that area is cash apps where I work. The AP and AR people deal with customers. They do not do entries when cheques come in or go out. We have a partner list and deal with them on a 1 on 1 basis. We do do entries but it isn't data entry. So I think your views are somewhat wrong.

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 09:24 PM
buddy....listen to yourself...deal with customers? that makes the 60g's even less justifiable...all I'm saying is in any other city in this country....try making that kind of money at that level....they'll laugh in your face

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
buddy....listen to yourself...deal with customers? that makes the 60g's even less justifiable...all I'm saying is in any other city in this country....try making that kind of money at that level....they'll laugh in your face

Doesn't bother me what I am making. Its a small step until I start articling next year for my CA.

Its like me saying..I laugh at you for going for your CGA...the lessor of all 3 designations...

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 09:45 PM
you're not understanding what I'm saying though...think of it this way...CA students start at like what? 45G's year? you are doing so much more work and learning so much more and you're work on such a higher level than an AP clerk...wouldn't it bother you that they make more than you as a CA student?...that's all I'm saying about the big oil and gas company "clerks" who are making that kind of money being bullshit

btw...CGA's being the lessor of the 3 designations haha..don't listen to everything the CA recruiters tell you...it may well be true in most of Canada...but internationally....that's a different story

finboy
08-07-2007, 10:09 PM
only way i've heard of ap clerks making anything close to 50 g's is if they have been with the company for years and know how to kiss the bosses ass :dunno:

urban.one
08-07-2007, 10:14 PM
employers pay what the market dictates.

why are superstore and tim horton paying upwards of $15/hr for jobs that dont need grade 10?

if accounting clerks are in demand then accounting clerks are going to need to be paid more than superstore or tim hortons.

its the same reason why today in calgary a 10 month accounting diploma may get you $50k+ where as a 4 year university degree in phys ed or art history may get you a $12/hr job at starbucks.

Even if you say you arent, you sound bitter. Just like a lot of people I hear complaining about the money they make and wonder why 18yr olds are making $60k to $80k in the oil patch.

urban.one
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Thats a lot of cockiness coming from someone who isnt even yet articling.

Arent CAs a dying breed? No one wants to enter the program anymore. That was the main thrust behind the failed merger with the CMAs.

As a non-accountant with a few accountant friends it always makes a great laugh when they debate the merits of their respective designations.

Doesn't bother me what I am making. Its a small step until I start articling next year for my CA.

Its like me saying..I laugh at you for going for your CGA...the lessor of all 3 designations...

jay42w8
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
urban.one...thanks for the back-up on the CA issue....

as for the jealousy and bitterness...lol...yes I admit it...I work for CRA right now and they refuse to pay us in Alberta more than the rest of Canada...its bullshit...but I'm staying put for now...like I said before, what good is it gonna be for me to have "AP" experience on my resume?...when the economy goes bust again, if it will...all those people will be screwed big time

CGA is a way to go if you want to go to Asia (where the big bucks will be in the future)...CGA is spending tons of money on its image there...

urban.one
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
The government has its pluses and minuses. Youve got to be a certain type of person to want to work there longterm. I have a friend who transferred to CRA in Calgary from a smaller center a few years ago and then left about a year ago. Sounds like a terrible place to work if you are young and motivated. The private sector also likes to somewhat blackball people who are longterm government employees.

KappaSigma
08-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Thats a lot of cockiness coming from someone who isnt even yet articling.

Arent CAs a dying breed? No one wants to enter the program anymore. That was the main thrust behind the failed merger with the CMAs.

As a non-accountant with a few accountant friends it always makes a great laugh when they debate the merits of their respective designations.

Its an old boys club..no matter what you CAs are still looked at as the top accountant designation. Also, they can do things legally that others cannot do.

Just the way it works, CAs look better on paper than any other designation.

KappaSigma
08-08-2007, 06:58 AM
urban.one...thanks for the back-up on the CA issue....

as for the jealousy and bitterness...lol...yes I admit it...I work for CRA right now and they refuse to pay us in Alberta more than the rest of Canada...its bullshit...but I'm staying put for now...like I said before, what good is it gonna be for me to have "AP" experience on my resume?...when the economy goes bust again, if it will...all those people will be screwed big time

CGA is a way to go if you want to go to Asia (where the big bucks will be in the future)...CGA is spending tons of money on its image there...

Dude, Im not saying AP for a longterm career. It is a good area to get your feet wet and move up in a big company.

KappaSigma
08-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
employers pay what the market dictates.

why are superstore and tim horton paying upwards of $15/hr for jobs that dont need grade 10?

if accounting clerks are in demand then accounting clerks are going to need to be paid more than superstore or tim hortons.

its the same reason why today in calgary a 10 month accounting diploma may get you $50k+ where as a 4 year university degree in phys ed or art history may get you a $12/hr job at starbucks.

Even if you say you arent, you sound bitter. Just like a lot of people I hear complaining about the money they make and wonder why 18yr olds are making $60k to $80k in the oil patch.

Actually Im not bitter at all. This is my 1st job right out of university and I was unsure of where to start and I quite enjoy the job for something just to get my feet wet and ease myself into the accounting field. Is it going to be my career..not even close. Is it good for starting out...damn right.

jay42w8
08-08-2007, 07:33 AM
^ GAHHH!!!.....I really hope you work on your reading comprehension skills before you start the CA program, or you're gonna be toast

KappaSigma
08-08-2007, 07:58 AM
^ GAHHH!!!.....I really hope you work on your reading comprehension skills before you start the CA program, or you're gonna be toast

Wow..its a forum. Who cares. Great rebutal though.

lewdvig
08-08-2007, 07:59 AM
If you can move from AP into payroll - that is a great profession. I use to sell payroll and HR systems (4 years). I knew of one lady at an mid-size oil company that made $60k (payroll admin) and had a $60k bonus in one year.

And if you are smart, you can work your way into HR. Get a CHRP designation, go to the tradeshows - packed with horny sluts. That is the life. Director or VP of HR is a great place to be. Easy work with great money. Maybe 10% men in that profession.

lewdvig
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM

Wow..its a forum. Who cares. Great rebutal though.

Are you a Kappa Sig? Me too!

KappaSigma
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by lewdvig

Are you a Kappa Sig? Me too!

I sure am! What chapter?

DUBBED
08-14-2007, 01:19 PM
FYI there is an Account Payable opening at my company right now. PM and I will send you the link if anyone is interested.