PDA

View Full Version : Toyota MR-2 and an SUV

Skyline_Addict
06-21-2003, 10:39 PM
hey guys,

I'm just wondering.... I know someone who says he's selling his '93 Toyota MR-2 for about 26000. He says he got it for around 37000 and it is fully modified (I have seen it). It has a full body kit and a nice set of rims. I'm pretty sure that most of the engine parts are stock if not all of them. I thought 26 ks was a little pricey. A deal I should consider?

Also, I'd like your input (if you don't mind) on good SUVs. We really like the Nissan Murano, but is there better value elsewhere?

thanks.

hjr
06-21-2003, 10:43 PM
well it all depends on if its a turbo or n/a car. For a turbo car its a resonable price, but kinda pricy for a n/a

Skyline_Addict
06-21-2003, 10:57 PM
yeah it's a turbo. pretty sure.
do you think it would be reasonable for him to charge me for ALL the mods he's done?

thich
06-21-2003, 10:59 PM
depends on wut u mean by reasonable....
if you're gonna pay him with considerations for goodwill then it would be considered "reasonable"...
but EVERYTHING has depreciation... so it technically shouldn't cost you dollar for dollar what it cost him to buy the car and mod it.

ah... the joys of accounting 317...

Skyline_Addict
06-21-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by thich
depends on wut u mean by reasonable....
if you're gonna pay him with considerations for goodwill then it would be considered "reasonable"...
but EVERYTHING has depreciation... so it technically shouldn't cost you dollar for dollar what it cost him to buy the car and mod it.

ah... the joys of accounting 317...

haha, I'm takin Economics this fall. I went over some of the book, and it overviews stuff like that too.
Anyways, I think he is assuming that all the mods he has done haven't depreciated (well, he probably knows they have but didn't consider it). I don't know, I think I might go brand new.
what's the current value of 98/99 ITR?

thanks.

RiceCake
06-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
hey guys,

I'm just wondering.... I know someone who says he's selling his '93 Toyota MR-2 for about 26000. He says he got it for around 37000 and it is fully modified (I have seen it). It has a full body kit and a nice set of rims. I'm pretty sure that most of the engine parts are stock if not all of them. I thought 26 ks was a little pricey. A deal I should consider?

Also, I'd like your input (if you don't mind) on good SUVs. We really like the Nissan Murano, but is there better value elsewhere?

thanks.

So according to this, Fully modified = body kit + rims.:dunno: That and a stock motor.

Care to tell us more on what this car has... Pending on condition of the car, and what is done to it that may lead to better justification of the price.

max_boost
06-21-2003, 11:08 PM
There is a 97 ITR selling for under $20K on Beyond.
If you are spending $26K, I just buy a newer car with warranty. There are two really nice SiR civics selling for $23K on Beyond. Personally I would jump on itslebaron's car cause its just fcuking sweet!!! haha

$26K for a 10 year old car just seems too much, I don't care how nice it is because I don't think that car was worth more than $32K brand new. lol

Skyline_Addict
06-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake

So according to this, Fully modified = body kit + rims.:dunno: That and a stock motor.

Care to tell us more on what this car has... Pending on condition of the car, and what is done to it that may lead to better justification of the price.

Sorry RiceCake.
I honestly do not know much about the car itself, as is the same about cars in general. When I said fully modified, I guess I meant to say that on the outside it was fully modified. The engine is most likely stock, but I saw that he put some custom exhausts in.
It's a turbo...lala..what else...and it's green...lol.
The car is in good condition. It otherwise just needs a pleasant wash and vacumming (and a paint job, i hate the color).
But yeah, 26k is alot to ask for a 10 year old MR-2....

thanks

thich
06-21-2003, 11:31 PM
I honestly do not know much about the car itself, as is the same about cars in general. When I said fully modified, I guess I meant to say that on the outside it was fully modified. The engine is most likely stock, but I saw that he put some custom exhausts in.

see if you can knock it down a bit then... i was under the impression that there were MORE mods than just that... :P

or like maxboost said check out some of the cars for sale on Beyond.

you should do more background research before purchasing a car - especially when it comes down to modded ones. :P
who knows what the previous owner has done to the car

Skyline_Addict
06-22-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by thich

see if you can knock it down a bit then... i was under the impression that there were MORE mods than just that... :P

or like maxboost said check out some of the cars for sale on Beyond.

you should do more background research before purchasing a car - especially when it comes down to modded ones. :P
who knows what the previous owner has done to the car

yeah, that's why I am more inclined to buy a brand new car.....speaking of which, what's a good SUV. good as in value for money.?

redline_13000
06-22-2003, 01:14 AM
is this mr2 in calgary?

GTS Jeff
06-22-2003, 02:25 AM
i think the guy is asking too much. just by doing a quick search on canadatrader, u can mr2 turbos starting at 18 grand....with his rims and kit, u shouldnt pay more than 20 grand...

and the car isnt worth as much imo since u know he bagged it

04blackMAX
06-22-2003, 02:27 AM
26k for a 93 MR-2 hahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha wait lemme catch my breath hahahahahahahha

to much man, offer him 17,000

max_boost
06-22-2003, 02:33 AM
If the car is Torquoise/Green color, I know the owner because according to him it is the only 93 Turbo in that color in the city. Anyway, last time I talked to him he said some guy offered him $25K for the car.

Well, he does take really good care of the car and it is in mint condition but $26K:rofl: How many kms are on the car? I remember it hitting 79***kms but this was 5 years ago!!! haha

04blackMAX
06-22-2003, 02:35 AM
u can have my 2000 SIR for 23,000 its got a full warrenty, 38,000km, i know your looking for an MR-2, thought id try hahaha

Redlyne_mr2
06-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
i think the guy is asking too much. just by doing a quick search on canadatrader, u can mr2 turbos starting at 18 grand....with his rims and kit, u shouldnt pay more than 20 grand...

and the car isnt worth as much imo since u know he bagged it
Id sell mine for 25K if I was to ever sell it, good deal for what it comes with IMO:D

diesel_boy
06-22-2003, 04:21 PM
26 k seems like a good deal to me man but then again its not me buying the care its just my opinon

GTS Jeff
06-22-2003, 07:22 PM
there was an NA mr2 in the trader awhile ago for 12 grand...

T5_X
06-23-2003, 12:25 AM
You're considering an SUV as another option? So I take it this is gonna be a daily driver? A word of advice, the MR2 (fantastic car) is not anywhere near to being an all year round, practical vehicle, an SUV is way on the other end of the vehicle spectrum. What are you looking for in an SUV and for what price range? If you don't need a ton of space, aren't gonna be hauling a whole lot and want the most refined SUV available at a killer price, nothing can beat a Toyota Highlander, the Murano does come close though, check em both out... and unless you really need towing capacity or space, don't even bother looking at the domestics.

James
06-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
You're considering an SUV as another option? So I take it this is gonna be a daily driver? A word of advice, the MR2 (fantastic car) is not anywhere near to being an all year round, practical vehicle, an SUV is way on the other end of the vehicle spectrum. What are you looking for in an SUV and for what price range? If you don't need a ton of space, aren't gonna be hauling a whole lot and want the most refined SUV available at a killer price, nothing can beat a Toyota Highlander, the Murano does come close though, check em both out... and unless you really need towing capacity or space, don't even bother looking at the domestics.

:werd:......i think you should figure out what you need out of your car first, unless your gettin an MR2 AND an SUV, then your Set. :dunno:....and yes, that is wayyyyyy too much for that car. MR2's ( especially the Turbo's) have really goood Re-sale value, and it actually seems to be going up the last couple years based on the small number of really nice, good condition ones left. but when the car cost apx. $34,000 new, $26,000 is just rediculous.

redline_13000
06-23-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
and unless you really need towing capacity or space, don't even bother looking at the domestics.

why not? if your talking about reliability im willing to bet that if i bagged(anyone who has seen me drive knows what i mean) on an import suv in the same price range as my jimmy (DOMESTIC) it would have fallen apart. Only thing i dont like about this is the gas mileage. If you want a nice suv for just travelling go get a 1998 and up tahoe/yukon
:)