PDA

View Full Version : How to find a IT job in Oil & Gas??

red325
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
How to find a IT job in Oil & Gas??
Do i need a agent to find it for me ?

Euro_Trash
07-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Most oil companies have a career section on their website which lists available jobs

Kritafo
07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
yeah some use both their own websites some use agencies. I would go to a oil and gas directory for Calgary and search their career sections.

I know for instance that they do not have internal postings for jobs. They are public right away.

What sort of IT job are you looking for?

tylere
07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
99% of the IT jobs are NOT posted, you got to know someone to get in. This is how oil and gas works for most positions anyway’s. That being said it doesn’t hurt to search and get a hold of the HR departments. It’s not impossible just not easy.

You could always go work with one of the many IT consulting firms in Calgary as they do a lot of work for O&G, it also a good way to get an “in” at one of the companies. Show you are valuable to the company and you will be set for life.

DUBBED
07-16-2007, 07:58 AM
There are 4 postings at my company right now.

http://www.enerplus.com/career_opportunities/InformationServices.shtml

CaptainReboot
07-16-2007, 08:12 AM
A lot of O and G companies outsource their stuff now. You can try staffing firms like Metafore, Ajilon, and Kelly services, as they do some work for the larger oil and gas companies. You can also try RIS, who do a lot of contract IT work for Shell and Talisman.

PINOY-X
07-16-2007, 08:37 AM
its hard to get a job at an OnG place unless you know someone ... that is the best bet of getting one there ,,, or unless u get really lucky and just get one hah

topmade
07-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
yeah some use both their own websites some use agencies. I would go to a oil and gas directory for Calgary and search their career sections.

^^ Best way to do it if you're looking for a full time perm position. It's going to take a lot of time going through all the sites to see what openings they have. If you want contract or temp, hit up the agencies, but sometimes the agencies have full time perm as well. I went through sisystems and got a full time perm position.