PDA

View Full Version : How are you dealing with the heat?

em2ab
07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
I live on the top floor of an apartment building and it is unbearable. This is only my third summer in Calgary and I don't remember it being this bad before. I installed a ceiling fan above my bed but all it does is push the hot air around and I don't like to sleep with the window open because of all the drunks in the alley, plus I live right behind the Red Mile. But contrary to this it was so bad last night I slept on my patio, the heat here is ridiculous. What is everyone else doing about it? I try to just lay on my couch during the day with the patio door open but I'm afraid I'll sweat so much it'll get into the couch......seriously! East coast FTC.

Darkane
07-15-2007, 04:04 PM
lol, nothing you can do. Just lie in your bed and take it. It was 96F in my room the other night. Nothing you can do..

EDIT: lol

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/Quintesson_2006/Cam062.jpg

cityhunter2501
07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
shirtless, shower 2-3 times a day.

dj_rice
07-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Commando, window open, and fan on and drinking lots of ice water, and I'm in the basement so it helps

Moe Man
07-15-2007, 04:11 PM
yay for basement :D

l/l/rX
07-15-2007, 04:12 PM
im naked right now. HAHAHA kidding. but i am in my boxers...just stepped outta the shower (my 2nd one for the day)...there'll be a 3rd one coming up here soon in a few hours. haha

snowboard
07-15-2007, 04:14 PM
just came in off the lake.
hahaaaa
suckers.
too many boats on chesteremere today though, we had a boat party haha..

Masked Bandit
07-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Just buy a window mounted a/c unit. Pick it up at Wal-Mart for a couple of hundred bucks.

Dooms_Bane
07-15-2007, 04:24 PM
i throw water on myself and sit near a fan :D

Xaroxantu Zero
07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
All windows and bedroom doors are opened for better airflow. My fan is turned up to the max, and a small towel soaked in cold water is always behind my head or neck.

HybridTheory
07-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I have the fan on full blast and shower in the morning and then again before I go to sleep.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm bathing in nice, cool drywall mud.

ercchry
07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
fuck my house is too cold!!! seriously, i turned on the fireplace when i was down stairs... stupid a/c over cooling the basement :D

Si_FlyGuy
07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm going jogging. Might as well sweat off a few more lbs.

Tik-Tok
07-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I sleep in my basement.

If the heat is that bad, as said, get a small window A/C unit, all you need is one big enough to cool 1 room. $270 will buy you one that can cool 300sq.ft. (if you can find one in stock this week, lol)

Raven_R1
07-15-2007, 05:11 PM
My house all cool accept my room..I'm gonna buy portable air conditioner

civic_stylez
07-15-2007, 05:14 PM
gotta love the new condo with the rickdiculous a/c in it... could damn near see my breath this morning!:clap:

Ekliptix
07-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm thawing out dinner and cooling my home office at the same time!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Ekliptix/hawt1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Ekliptix/hawt2.jpg

Manhattan
07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Just good plain warm weather rather than a heatwave IMO.

EDIT: Vegas is hot. No A/C needed.

00CivicSi
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
I'm thawing out dinner and cooling my home office at the same time!
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Ekliptix/hawt1.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/Ekliptix/hawt2.jpg

Hahaha

I'm on the top floor too so I just sleep on the balcony. Anjust have fans blowing out the window during the day.

Manhattan
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Why sit at home all day if your living top floor of an apartment??

Go sit around at a mall somehwere...

LongCity
07-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Wrap toilet paper around my head to collect the sweat.
Momma gets mad cause when someone close dies you're supposed to wear a white band around your head.

TE4MFaint
07-15-2007, 05:32 PM
How hot have you guys been hitting? And for how long?

Try living in Medicine Hat.

Consistant over +35. For the whole summer. Not just a week or two. :(

I miss +25 weather.

three33
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I picked up a pretty nice air conditioner for $88 a Home Depot on Friday. Works not too bad, but then again we face the sun pretty well all day until night time so it gets really warm anyways.

JordanAndrew
07-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Portable A/C works well for my room. It gets really hot during the day as my room faces the sun all day so I close the blinds, open all my windows as well. I chill in the basement if I want to save electricity, works just as well. :bigpimp:

Hakkola
07-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Just good plain warm weather rather than a heatwave IMO.

EDIT: Vegas is hot. No A/C needed.

Vegas is nothing, it's dry heat and it's not bad, I wore jeans in 40 degree weather no problem. This weather here isn't too bad either, I drive a black car with black leather interior, I wear jeans and a dress shirt pretty much everywhere and have yet to use the a.c, I just roll down the windows.

Try living off the coast in plus 30 weather and high humidity, then complain.

Ekliptix
07-15-2007, 06:26 PM
If anyone's ever been to Corpus Cristi, TX, or San Antonio, or even Houston...that's hot, but everywhere has AC.

FiveFreshFish
07-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Central air is where it's at.

LongCity
07-15-2007, 06:30 PM
If anyone's ever been to Corpus Cristi, TX, or San Antonio, or even Houston...that's hot, but everywhere has AC.

I fell asleep in a hammock outside in Dallas, not a good idea...

240SX17
07-15-2007, 06:34 PM
A/C :D ahhh so nice in this house :poosie:

in*10*se
07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
loving my a/c. :D :D :D

urban.one
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Central air here.

nismodrifter
07-15-2007, 08:42 PM
+35'ish here in the Caribbean today (and every other day).....luckily our class rooms are freezing cold (I wear a sweat shirt) and my apartment has a brand new Lennox AC unit that is freezing me to death :D The only time the heat is realllly bad is after it rains....then you are sticky and sweaty as soon as you step outside. Fresh picked mango's everyday are a reward for tolerating this heat hehe :D

I think for the most part you don't REALLY need an AC unit in Calgary. I'm surprised that you guys have had so much intense heat for so long. Usually it lasts a couple days to a week but I don't know why the heat has stuck around so long. Weird.

Ekliptix
07-15-2007, 09:23 PM
What are you doing in the Caribbean and which island?

IntegraG2
07-15-2007, 10:07 PM
i would get a portable a/c unit but my window opens sideways not up and down like alot of the a/c units require. anyone have any suggestions?

FiveFreshFish
07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by IntegraG2
i would get a portable a/c unit but my window opens sideways not up and down like alot of the a/c units require. anyone have any suggestions?

Here's how:
- Open up your window but don't remove the screen
- Place the exhaust vent right up to the screen and butt it up to the window frame
- Tape the exhaust vent to the screen and window frame
- Tape poly over the rest of the screen

This enables the window to close when you're need it to. Just make sure your vent and poly don't interfere with the window crank.

IntegraG2
07-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Here's how:
- Place the exhaust vent right up to the screen and butt it up to the window frame

This enables the window to close when you're need it to. Just make sure your vent and poly don't interfere with the window crank.

awesome thanks.....a bunch

grrrouch
07-15-2007, 10:27 PM
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/hardees_badthings/image/colt_45.jpg

that should put you to sleep

Ajay
07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I just got back from Vegas so dealing with 40-45C is harder than 30C.

I don't find it bad at all.

lil*tymer
07-15-2007, 10:41 PM
put a fan up to the window and suck in the cool night air.

zieg
07-15-2007, 10:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/firebirdman1987/Picture329.jpg

(The window was too small to fit it into, and I didn't have $400 for the portable kind)

chosen-juan
07-15-2007, 10:53 PM
today i rolled a big puddle of mud.

GTS Jeff
07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
All the fans and AC units are sold out here.

So I've propped open the front door into the A/C'd hallway to jack the hallway A/C. I'm thinking about making a diverter flap to put in front of the air vent in the hallway to blow the air into my unit.

turbotrip
07-16-2007, 12:03 AM
^:rofl:

just comming back from houston this feels pretty good

mo_money2supe
07-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
How hot have you guys been hitting? And for how long?

Try living in Medicine Hat.

Consistant over +35. For the whole summer. Not just a week or two. :(

I miss +25 weather.

No doubt! Calgary's highest for the last few days and the next few days is supposed to be 32 degrees C; Medicine Hat, the coolest day-time high is 32 degrees C! I remember last Friday when it was a staggering 39 degrees down here! And stupid me, I went out golfing that day after work. Needless to say, we were only one of three groups out on the course that whole day. Fortunately, the place I'm staying at down here has central a/c... :clap:

GTS Jeff
07-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
All the fans and AC units are sold out here.

So I've propped open the front door into the A/C'd hallway to jack the hallway A/C. I'm thinking about making a diverter flap to put in front of the air vent in the hallway to blow the air into my unit. Ok, I did it. I taped up a few sheets of paper over the hallway's vent and bent them so that A/C is being blown directly into my unit.

It's not helping. :(

aklalani
07-16-2007, 01:41 AM
start playing poker daily. so u can sit on ur ass in a nice air conditioned room:thumbsup:

kenny
07-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by IntegraG2

The Danby A/C unit I have works with Windows that open up/down or sideways.

CCM Pro
07-16-2007, 02:29 AM
I actually hope everyone reads this mid January when were all freezing our balls off:poosie:

TimG
07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/firebirdman1987/Picture329.jpg

(The window was too small to fit it into, and I didn't have $400 for the portable kind)

won't all of the condensation drip onto the cardboard and make it fall apart?

Gspotracer
07-16-2007, 10:17 AM
I bought an inflatable pool from canadian tire for $100 and I've been floating around in that & drinking cold beer for the last week or so:thumbsup: Best $100 I've spent in a long time

CLiVE
07-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Sleep with an ice pack sitting on my chest. Completely cools your core. Works great.

arian_ma
07-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I love this weather! Damn you guys are pansies, you get sun for like 2 months a year and you complain. Come on! lol
I just jump in the pool like 3 times a day and that does it for me.
SUN TAN FTW

JordanLotoski
07-16-2007, 12:50 PM
burrr its cold in my house...god i love central air:thumbsup:

project240
07-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I used to have the same problem with my 3rd floor apartment being very hot and humid. We had a small In-Wall AC in the living room, but the bedroom was still too hot at night. I just bought another window AC and kind of did a ghetto install since we have horizontal sliding windows and it's meant for vertical. I removed both windows and the screen from one side. I bought a sheet of 1" thick foam insulation from HomeDepot and cut it to fit around the AC. I glued three sheets together nows it sits near perfect around the frame.

I think this has been my best investment as far as comfort goes. Our apartment is now ice cool if we want it to be on hot days.

Vagabond142
07-16-2007, 02:42 PM
how I deal with the heat (as I'm home 24/7 now cuz of my operation):

1 large jug of iced tea per day with ice
3 fans blowing air through my room and out my window
(optional) muffaletta sandweech that's been sittin in the fridge for a couple hours after making it :drool:

:bigpimp:

And for those that are wondering, yes, the muffaletta is the KING of the sandweeches (google it :eek: ) It'll last you like 4 days if big enough

(a picture to tickle your tastebuds http://www.oakridger.com/images/012302/thebigeasy.jpg )

turbotrip
07-17-2007, 08:47 PM
^good lord, where can u buy one of those bad boys?

Canmorite
07-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I work outside and it's brutual. Oh well, only a couple months then it's back to ski season.

Hit up the bow. Freezing cold and very refreshing. Friend shot this out in Canmore last weekend.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3583/picture0232syx6.jpg

nismodrifter
07-17-2007, 11:33 PM
What are you doing in the Caribbean and which island?

I go to med school in Nevis in the West Indies. The country is the union of St Kitts & Nevis...I'm on Nevis. Been here since last September, almost halfway through my 2nd year of school :clap:

Some pics from 2 weeks ago when we went to St Kitts after exams:

The island of Nevis from the ferry....looks like Jurassic Park heheh. The part that is covered up by the clouds is the dormant volcano.
http://members.shaw.ca/pshopcontest/island.jpg

Where we chill:
http://members.shaw.ca/pshopcontest/beach.jpg

Marriott Resort on St. Kitts. We usually go here after exams for a well deserved break, it's a 30min ferry over to St. Kitts. Food + pools + beach is total pimpness here.
http://members.shaw.ca/pshopcontest/hotel.jpg

The island of Nevis has the 4-Seasons resort which is wayyyyy pimper than the Marriott but the rooms don't come cheap either, I think the cheapest room there is around $500USD per night. Lots of movie stars are seen chilling at the 4-Seasons. Ppl with their own jets and yachts are the usual clients there. Spotted a $150 million dollar yacht last semester docked in their bay (name of the yacht is Le Grand Bleu...5th largest in the world...I'll post pics when I get time).

Back to studying at 1:30...piece. :(

Trini
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Here's how:

good idea..now just the small matter of finding a portable a/c

3g4u
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I have like 3 fans going off at my house and i bought one of those 15 foot pools for cooling off in my backyard.

kongaj
07-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Sweet dude.
Good friends of the family used to live in Nevis. He managed the 4 Seasons there. Been there once... cant believe you live there. Thats uber pimp. Good luck with school.

And as for how I keep cool... open all the windows at night and then close them in the morning along with all the blinds. No central air, and its pretty cool in the house.
The insulation we installed a few years ago does wonders. Styrofoam insulation ftw!

schurchill39
07-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

No doubt! Calgary's highest for the last few days and the next few days is supposed to be 32 degrees C; Medicine Hat, the coolest day-time high is 32 degrees C! I remember last Friday when it was a staggering 39 degrees down here! And stupid me, I went out golfing that day after work. Needless to say, we were only one of three groups out on the course that whole day. Fortunately, the place I'm staying at down here has central a/c... :clap:

I agree, Medicine Hat is getting a ridiculous heat wave. To top it off I have been stuck cleaning blowback tanks in full PPE (we dont have the luxury of having thin breatable coveralls) for the past three days. 39 degrees outside makes for 45ish inside those tanks plus thick ass coveralls.

Thank god for a cold shower and central air when I get home.

EDIT: I was just talking with a friend and he said the other day when he got to work at 8am it was already 30-33degrees outside