PDA

View Full Version : Search: USE IT!!!!

nismodrifter
07-16-2007, 12:04 AM
You see those two red buttons in the top of your screen? One of them has a word on it that says SEARCH. If you don't know what this word means then please read below:

search /sɜrtʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[surch] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to go or look through (a place, area, etc.) carefully in order to find something missing or lost: They searched the woods for the missing child. I searched the desk for the letter.
2. to look at or examine (a person, object, etc.) carefully in order to find something concealed: He searched the vase for signs of a crack. The police searched the suspect for weapons.
3. to explore or examine in order to discover: They searched the hills for gold.
4. to look at, read, or examine (a record, writing, collection, repository, etc.) for information: to search a property title; He searched the courthouse for a record of the deed to the land.
5. to look at or beneath the superficial aspects of to discover a motive, reaction, feeling, basic truth, etc.: He searched her face for a clue to her true feelings.
6. to look into, question, or scrutinize: She searched her conscience.
7. (of natural elements) to pierce or penetrate: The sunlight searched the room's dark corners.
8. to uncover or find by examination or exploration (often fol. by out): to search out all the facts.
9. Military. to fire artillery over (an area) with successive changes in gun elevation.
10. Computers. to examine (one or more files, as databases or texts) electronically, to locate specified items.

Since we are using computers, #10 applies.

The search function is there FOR YOU TO USE IT. It will help you find info on WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND LOWER THE NUMBER OF REPOSTS ON THE FORUM.

Let's say you have a question about cleaning your ass. You SHOULD use the search function first to see if anyone else has posted info about cleaning their ass before posting a new thread. Searching for terms like "cleaning my ass" or "ass cleaning" will probably yield relevant results.

If you don't find anything then you may want to hit up google (www.google.com.....I prefer www.google.ca since it's Canadian eh). If you are on Beyond you don't even have to navigate to www.google.com, instead simply scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the search field where you can type in your query. Again, let's say you are looking for information on how toa clean your ass. Type in "tips on cleaning my ass" in the search field and I can almost GUARANTEE that you will find good results (I didn't personally check this out as I do clean my perineal area thoroughly and I don't need tips on how to do it any better).

That said, WHY DO PEOPLE ON BEYOND INSIST ON POSTING A NEW THREAD FOR EVERY FREAKING QUESTION THEY MAY HAVE???

There are SO many resources out there to help you find info on what you need to find yet people INSIST on posting a new thread even though the topic may have been covered before and/or the answer is out there in google.
Example: "what is the bolt pattern on my Ford Pinto"

#1: SEARCH BEFORE POSTING. Beyond has grown so much over the years and the number of topics covered has grown as well. Most of the time you can find the info you are looking for using Beyond search function. Use both the boxes in the bottom of each forum and the advanced search (ie: the red button) to find what you are looking for. DOING THIS WILL LOWER THE CHANCE THAT YOUR THREAD WILL BE A REPOST (should you not find the answer after searching).

#2: SEARCH

#3: If someone posts a thread that is a REPOST then FIND THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD AND POST THE LINK SO THAT A MODERATOR CAN CLOSE THE THREAD. Using the repost smiley doesn't impress anybody, wow you have a great memory and can recall a thread that was posted a day/week/month/year ago. Chances are my memory is better than yours anyway so you are just making yourself look like an idiot. POSTING THE REPOST SMILEY + THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD = GOOD!!! :thumbsup: to the people who are doing that already.

Moral of the story:
- Search is there to help you find answers.
- Search before posting anything BECAUSE IT MAY BE A REPOST! That funny video that someone emailed you has probably been posted 200x already, do a quick 5 second search to find out whether it's already been seen by Beyond or not.

Goodnight.

max_boost
07-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Just taking a break from studying? :D

Hakkola
07-16-2007, 12:15 AM
It would help if some of you douchebags actually described what you were posting instead of saying "LOL, funny vid" and then some fuck tard tells you it is a repost and tells you to eat ass because you didn't know that the two fat bikers having sex in a field thread was named "hot sex."

That said, do a search, but if you chide someone for reposting something that is pretty much impossible to search for, I'll break your face. :D

Eleanor
07-16-2007, 10:23 PM
One thing i think would help a lot is if the default time frame for a search was longer than three months. I doubt many people realise this, i know i didn't when i first joined.

Also, i don't really get the whole repost thing, i mean i find it kind of annoying that some threads keep coming up but other then for videos and automotive news, i don't really see why people shouldn't just start a new thread if they want to know something. You're still the one who's clicking on it and posting "REPOST x 100000" or "do a fucking search!!!". Why can't you just not click on it? I understand that making a new thread uses up space on the servers, but so do the closed threads.

Or maybe i'm just being totally ignorant to some blatant fact that i've overlooked "dons flame suit".

Weapon_R
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
That blatant fact was that the 3 month default is designed to help stop people from bumping 5 year old threads when doing a search :D

Can't win em all -> Make the default unlimited, and ppl bump up old threads. Make it 3 months, and reposts pop up