PDA

View Full Version : Lethbridge Housing

Impreza
07-16-2007, 12:36 AM
My friend is going to Lethbridge for school this upcoming fall and we were just wondering where are some good placed to look for places to rent? We've checked homerent.ca and rentlethbridge.com so far.

Also, what are some good areas to live in that are close to the University or the Community College? More importantly, what are some areas to avoid living in?

Thanks in advance!

2002civic
07-16-2007, 08:45 AM
avoid the North Side

Impreza
07-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Looking at the Westside now, seems to be pretty decent. Anyone know of an apartment or condo's for rent?

2002civic
07-16-2007, 11:35 AM
not off hand, if you do have time I would suggest coming down for a weekend to look around, some people just put for rent signs up and dont list it, and you can check out any of the places in person but your best bet is the palces you have looked, or I believe the U of L website might have a site as well for people looking to rent out places. Also search for apartments here and contact the property managers.

5hift
07-16-2007, 11:56 AM
^^:werd:

I am moving down to Lethbridge in the fall, and never having even been there didnt really know what to expect. What I found is that the UofL housing list, and pretty much anything you find online, is about 2 weeks behind and you've already missed out on the place.

Like 2002Civic said, you need to get down there and actually go up to buildings you like and try to track down the resident managers. Usually any decent place is rented out as soon as its availible.

West Lethbridge is where you want to be, especially if your not driving. There are a few large apartment buildings and quite a few small ones right across from the Uni that are within a few blocks of of both the uni, and a mini mall that has anything you would ever really need. I managed to get a nice apartment in the only recently renovated building, but I was there for 2 days and its pretty competitive. I was only looking for a 1 bed/1 bath place, and I found that every place I went I was competing with 5+ people wanting the same place. I lost out on a couple places before I managed to get an apartment, although I had to rent it a month early just to make sure I got it.

I would suggest going down asap as it probably gets harder and harder to find a place, the closer it gets to fall, but do it during the week if you want to be able to track down a resident manager.

FlamingC19
07-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Ya I would go down this weekend otherwise you wont find a spot unless your renting out a buddies place. But ya if you want anything on the Westside usually by mid to late July everything half-way decent is allready taken. If you want pm me with what your looking for cause I got a lot fo buddies that rent out houses or if you want to live on your own with another friend I can talk to my landlord to see if they have any other spots available. Last I heard though she said that most if not all were taken. So if you dont have time this weekend to go looking pm me if not get down their otherwise you wont have a decent place to stay.

Impreza
07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
I went down there this weekend and looked around for postings and such, but didn't really see much. I guess I should just go in the apartment buildings and ask.

Thanks for all your help!

Also, how much are you guys paying for a 1bedroom place to live by yourself??

Sailz
07-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Look in the Lethbridge Herald Classifieds. Its a shitty newspaper but its the most up to date for rental places.
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/cat_index_33.php&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNH5E42a6Yw77OOX4DbXThIlvcPwkg

Avoid the Northside for sure. There are some really nice condos right behind ICE (A Lethbridge bar/club) that are fairly close to the school. My family used to own a coupe houses on the west side that I rented to students but I sold them as they were too big of a hassle.

5hift
07-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
I went down there this weekend and looked around for postings and such, but didn't really see much. I guess I should just go in the apartment buildings and ask.

Thanks for all your help!

Also, how much are you guys paying for a 1bedroom place to live by yourself??

I had to literally go up to every building and ask if they had vacancy. Do you want to be able to walk/bus to school or do you plan on having wheels. Anything within walking distance has its price seriously jacked. I would say a clean 1 bed 1 bath on the west side near UofL would be about 700-800 a month.

Impreza
07-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Transportation won'tbe an issue as my friends plans to drive in Lethbridge. Anyone of the names of a few apartments or condo's that I could call?

2000_SI
07-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Sailz
There are some really nice condos right behind ICE (A Lethbridge bar/club) that are fairly close to the school. My family used to own a coupe houses on the west side that I rented to students but I sold them as they were too big of a hassle.
I used to live in those condo's. They are pretty nice, the only problem with them is parking. Your not allowed to park within 1.5 meters of any driveway, including your own, and with how tight those houses are built that meant there where like 4 or 5 spots on the street to park. With no visitor parking and single car driveways, it can be a little crowded, especialy considering the number of students living there.

But yeah, West Leth is deffinitly the place to live! Its completly self-sufficient, and all it needs is a walmart and you would never need to cross to the east side :D