PDA

View Full Version : New car Protection Package?? worth it??

beyondpinoy
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
im at the dealership looking for a new car, and they offer me a NEW car protection package, now this package cost $1600, something that i can't afford at the moment, since the car im interested in is already reaching my budget.. anyways this is what they offer:

- anti-rust protection
- paint fade, and rock chip protection (i think its 3m on the front bumper + they do something to coat the paint so it doesn't fade over time)
- interior protection from spills on the fabric
- and interior sound protection (sounds better, and prevents ratteling)

individually they are $400 each .. i was thinking of just getting the paint fade/rock chip protection..

do you guys think its worth it to get the other stuff?

kevie88
07-16-2007, 03:14 PM
No. It's a dealer upsell and does nothing. Keep your car clean and waxed, and you should have the same life as any other car of the same variety.

I would probably 3m rockguard the nose/mirrors tho.

QuasarCav
07-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Nope,

I would not get any of it from the dealer. If you really need to spend some extra cash than get this done from an aftermarket company.

legendboy
07-16-2007, 03:15 PM
I would probably take my car to another dealer for the propack. I am positive you can find a stealership to do it for about half that. Same thing.

If you plan on keeping your car for along time 5-6yrs + then get it done. If your leasing it or are gonna sell it in 4-5 years don't bother.

B20EF
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Most dealerships outsource anyways, the detailing shop i used to work at charged $500 what the dealership charged $1000 for, go to a detailing shop for it

beyondpinoy
07-16-2007, 03:26 PM
anyone know where i can go to get the 3m rock guard for a 08 lancer?

beyondpinoy
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM
i'll get the 3m rock protection somewhere else.. and heres what i plan to do for everything else:

-anti-rust > i'll just wax on a regular basis. which i already do..

-sound dampening stuff > i'll get in the future when i can afford it..

-interior protection > i'll just buy that fabric spray protector and spray that stuff myself..

thx guys.. you probably saved me 1600 ...

benyl
07-16-2007, 03:32 PM
shadow tint for 3m was good for me. $180

B20EF
07-16-2007, 03:44 PM
The anti rust they spray is actual a waxy type substance which you spray in the holes at the bottom of your doors, trunk and hood - so any water that collects down there wont rust it out

beyondpinoy
07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by B20EF
The anti rust they spray is actual a waxy type substance which you spray in the holes at the bottom of your doors, trunk and hood - so any water that collects down there wont rust it out

is it worth getting it?? or is that something i can do myself? like buy the spray and do that myself

Doozer
07-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Really???? That might answer a question about my wife's car that I've been trying to figure out for a long time.

For the last year or two, the driver's door has been leaking something ... definitely waxy, from the holes underneath. Every time I wash her car, the next day there's more goo that's leaked out from the door. I've been trying to figure out what the hell it is. She's got an '02 Jetta, and I'm sure she had the works done to it when she bought it.

Nothing from the hood or passenger door, or anywhere else, but lots from the driver's side.

em2ab
07-16-2007, 04:06 PM
This prolongs the life of your vehicle and I don't keep cars for more than a few years so for me it's definitely not worth it. You need to ask yourself if you're going to drive it until it dies. Most times the answer is no.

b_t
07-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
This prolongs the life of your vehicle and I don't keep cars for more than a few years so for me it's definitely not worth it. You need to ask yourself if you're going to drive it until it dies. Most times the answer is no.

You need to consider the resale value of the car. It is much easier to get your money back out of a car with no rock chips on the hood, zero rust, and lustrous paint then it would be for a rusty, beat up car.

3M at the very least should be a consideration because it works. Also, if you are leasing the vehicle, the 3M should be mandatory because if you return the vehicle at the end of your lease, they will charge you for repainting the front of the car to fix the rock chips and that is a good $1500 at dealership rates.

The interior protectant is something you won't need if you take care of your car. The sound protectant is probably low budget crap that would be greatly outperformed by a cheaper aftermarket product like eDead from elemental designs. And if you wash your car frequently, the anti-rust won't be of any benefit to you within the next four or five years.

em2ab
07-17-2007, 12:08 AM
I prefer rock chips over 3M. That stuff is nasty, I see the cars at the shows with it and it's like half their hood is a different colour because the glare is different. It feels different, wax doesn't work as well on it, I hate it. Then when you peel it off, you have pieces of the paint come with it and the paint fades unevenly with the sun. No thanks, I'd rather spend the $300 repainting my hood so it looks brand new in 2 years instead of paying $300 to put a giant sticker on my hood that looks awful.

GTS Jeff
07-17-2007, 02:39 AM
I prefer rock chips over 3M. That stuff is nasty, I see the cars at the shows with it and it's like half their hood is a different colour because the glare is different. It feels different, wax doesn't work as well on it, I hate it. Then when you peel it off, you have pieces of the paint come with it and the paint fades unevenly with the sun. No thanks, I'd rather spend the $300 repainting my hood so it looks brand new in 2 years instead of paying $300 to put a giant sticker on my hood that looks awful. :thumbsup:

b_t
07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
I prefer rock chips over 3M. That stuff is nasty, I see the cars at the shows with it and it's like half their hood is a different colour because the glare is different. It feels different, wax doesn't work as well on it, I hate it. Then when you peel it off, you have pieces of the paint come with it and the paint fades unevenly with the sun. No thanks, I'd rather spend the $300 repainting my hood so it looks brand new in 2 years instead of paying $300 to put a giant sticker on my hood that looks awful.

only $300 to sand down and repaint the front of your pitted, peeling car hey? Wow. Last I checked, that was about how much it was ...per panel. You can fuck around with body shops in Calgary then and look for your paint man who will do a quality job for $300 while I cruise around, still with no rock chips, and deal with the light line I can see around the front of my car where the 3M stops.

If the difference is sooo big, where does my 3M stop in this picture?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Sakeido/DSCF4414.jpg

Tik-Tok
07-17-2007, 09:52 AM
- anti-rust protection <--- Another term is wax
- paint fade, and rock chip protection <--- Wax and 3M
- interior protection from spills on the fabric<---- scotchguard
- and interior sound protection (sounds better, and prevents ratteling)<--- extra unnecessary weight on car, and I REALLY doubt they take the whole interior apart to put rubber on ever panel, screw, and bolt to prevent rattling.

teggypimp95
07-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
- anti-rust protection &lt;--- Another term is wax
- paint fade, and rock chip protection &lt;--- Wax and 3M
- interior protection from spills on the fabric&lt;---- scotchguard
- and interior sound protection (sounds better, and prevents ratteling)&lt;--- extra unnecessary weight on car, and I REALLY doubt they take the whole interior apart to put rubber on ever panel, screw, and bolt to prevent rattling.

Yeah its a joke. When i detailed for bmw i had to do these protection packages and its crazy what people paid for it.

I rubbed leather conditioner on the leather
sprayed scotch guard on the mats, and used some expensive wax that i dident think worked that well anyway. Big joke dont bother. Just a way for the dealer to make a little extra cash.

clem24
07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by b_t

only $300 to sand down and repaint the front of your pitted, peeling car hey? Wow. Last I checked, that was about how much it was ...per panel. You can fuck around with body shops in Calgary then and look for your paint man who will do a quality job for $300 while I cruise around, still with no rock chips, and deal with the light line I can see around the front of my car where the 3M stops.

If the difference is sooo big, where does my 3M stop in this picture?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Sakeido/DSCF4414.jpg

Oh new cars are fine. It hasn't sat in the sun long enough.. Just wait. If you're lucky, maybe 2-3 years. Then repost a picture please. The 3M part will have been completely dull, likely a different color altogether.

legendboy
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Most dealerships outsource anyways, the detailing shop i used to work at charged $500 what the dealership charged $1000 for, go to a detailing shop for it

not true, the majority do it all in house, very few outsource.

If i bought a brand new car that i was keeping for years and years i would for sure get:

Rust protection, undercoating and scotch guard.

The paint protection is a waste of money.

b_t
07-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Oh new cars are fine. It hasn't sat in the sun long enough.. Just wait. If you're lucky, maybe 2-3 years. Then repost a picture please. The 3M part will have been completely dull, likely a different color altogether.

The 3M goes dull and gets replaced every two years to get the good transparent stuff again. The first replacement is covered under my warranty :thumbsup:

Frenchslim
07-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I got my new car protection done at Platinum in Douglasdale. 3M, rust protection, paint protection, interior protection, and undercoating. I think they charge around $500 or less for a car.

The Cosworth
07-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by beyondpinoy
anyone know where i can go to get the 3m rock guard for a 08 lancer?

for my 08 lancer they quoted me 950 for my premium care kit and i got it down to 800

your getting screwed. I got it all. All i wanted was the undercoating really

nismodrifter
07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Doozer

Really???? That might answer a question about my wife's car that I've been trying to figure out for a long time.

For the last year or two, the driver's door has been leaking something ... definitely waxy, from the holes underneath. Every time I wash her car, the next day there's more goo that's leaked out from the door. I've been trying to figure out what the hell it is. She's got an '02 Jetta, and I'm sure she had the works done to it when she bought it.

Nothing from the hood or passenger door, or anywhere else, but lots from the driver's side.

Typical MK4 VW issue. When the weather is HOT it will drip from the doors a bit. Just clean it off and you are good to go.

QuasarCav
07-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

for my 08 lancer they quoted me 950 for my premium care kit and i got it down to 800

your getting screwed. I got it all. All i wanted was the undercoating really

:rofl: :rofl:

950 down to 800! The dealer must be hurting for only make 6000% profit on that.

Speed_69
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
the dealership wanted $890 from me for the rust, paint, undercoat and fabric protection. I told them i didn't want it then they lowered it to $685 for me. I told them i could get it for $499 elsewhere so they lowered it to $499 for me :thumbsup: Anyone paying over $500 is getting ripped off.

Akagi Redsuns
07-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
the dealership wanted $890 from me for the rust, paint, undercoat and fabric protection. I told them i didn't want it then they lowered it to $685 for me. I told them i could get it for $499 elsewhere so they lowered it to $499 for me :thumbsup: Anyone paying over $500 is getting ripped off.

I like how you definition of it being a rip-off is $1 more than what you paid.

Anything over $250 is a rip-off IMO. Even then I still probably wouldn't do it as I have to trust the dealer.....and that's very hard for me to.

Doozer
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
When I got my car last year, I skipped the whole package. Regardless of whether or not it's a ripoff at the dealership, it seems that you can get it done afterwards for less than, and certainly not more, than the dealership would charge. So it's something you can always do later (as long as you don't let the damage accumulate too long).

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on extending the warranty rather than the cosmetic treatments, but maybe that's just me.

alexe
07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
i actually work at a dealership and we charge 695 for pro pack which includes interior, perma wax (5 years) undercoating and rust protection. i also hate 3m it takes away more then the chips. however on some colors in completely undetectable(for the first year). when we get trade in Subarus you can tell which ones had the propack very easily. less swirls less stains more gloss. rust never seems to be an issue

B20EF
07-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
not true, the majority do it all in house, very few outsource.

You're probably right actually, but we did do packages for a Pontiac, Chevy, and Landrover dealership plus when i quit the detailing shop a Chrysler and Honda dealership were talking about outsourcing to us too.

Moe Man
07-18-2007, 12:07 AM
the only thing worth getting is 3m and undercoat, the rest is BS.

Akagi Redsuns
07-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by alexe
i actually work at a dealership and we charge 695 for pro pack which includes interior, perma wax (5 years) ..................

Wax that lasts 5 years??? Sounds like a claim I would hear from an infomercial.

beyondpinoy
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
how does perma wax last for 5 years... even the BEST wax in the world only last 6months... and synthetic sealers last @ best 10-12 months.. ionno how 5 years came into play?? unless its 5 years worth of reapplying every few months...

i think im only going to get the 3m and undercoating ... and the rest.. i'll do myself..

beyondpinoy
08-10-2007, 11:31 AM
hey guys, i just contacted the dealership.. and basically what they offer is called diamond kote protection with a lifetime warranty...

site found here:
http://www.diamondkote.com/dkgold_rustpro.htm

they offer the following:
paint protection > im guessing a wax
fabric protection > scotch guard
rust protection > undercoating and body coating
sound shield > more under car protection

i was thinking just forgetting about all that stuff, and just doing the Rust protection with the body, and undercoat rust protection for $400.. is that a good deal? or am i getting ripped off? (keep in mind its a lifetime warrenty)

or do the full package for $1200 save myself the $400, since thats the deal the dealership gave me ???

SilverRex
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
afterall, how do we know the dealership did in fact did the work? isnt it hard to tell if their is a layer of coating or not? :confused:

beyondpinoy
08-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
afterall, how do we know the dealership did in fact did the work? isnt it hard to tell if their is a layer of coating or not? :confused:

i donno? wouldn't that be the case for ANY place then that offered protection? since those types of protection should be invisable

SportEL
06-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Where is a good place to get Undercoating?