PDA

View Full Version : GIS business analysis

Subwoofah
07-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm interested in working with new business' that could benefit from my work. I can make maps based on location and data, analyse, interpret, and show a graphical representation of the answers. For example,

Say I was working for the Police.

I start with the road network for the city of Calgary.
Then I download social data from the gov of canada speciafically for calgary (ie; land parcels, earnings, age groups, business', etc)
I use data collected from the police dept. on low/med/high priority incidents (stabbings, shootings, violence,etc) and place them on the map as points.
Then I perform a locational analysis on the areas with the most incidents, find out how far the nearest police station is, why these incidents occur (lets say around a ~800m radius there are 2 suspected drug houses and a hobo hangout).
On these 2 drug houses (lets say they grow marijuana) I could perform a inquiry on how much electricity they use each day.
Setup more frequent patrols going through these streets...

This is just a small idea of what GIS is capable of doing. Insurance companies are using it to determine which houses are at most risk to flooding (using digital elevation models), banks use it to see what kinds of competition is around the area and where to strategically place their ATM's, Oil and Gas use it to calculate soils types and create watershed boundaries from sampled pour points, the military uses it to determine the area of impact and damage control when explosives are handled, etc.

Usually for any business, the key to success is PLANNING. Maybe I can help you out? I'm very creative and new ideas for improvment s come naturally. Give me a description of what your business does and i'll find a way GIS can help make more money.

benyl
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
How do you plan on paying for the latest spatial data? It aint cheap.

Subwoofah
07-16-2007, 08:22 PM
theres alot of free data out there, usually from the government, google earth has pro versions which have data collected from users all over the country... i also have an Arcpad which has gps and Arc software so I can collect data myself if its nessecary. anyway it all depends on what kind of data you need...

Trini
07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
GIS seems like a very interesting field.Wish I had gotten into it earlier in life.All the best man.