PDA

View Full Version : Closing Threads

rx7_turbo2
06-22-2003, 03:56 PM
A thread should be closed on the basis of it's content. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. The mods should be unbiased in their decision to close a thread. This did not happen recently. A mod decided to add his 2 cents to the end of a thread, and when I called him on it that thread was removed completely. God I love living in a facist state don't you?

Ben
06-22-2003, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure as to what deleted thread you "Called me on it" you are talking about, but what I said regarding that traffic ticket thread was not one sided, I said that both sides will continue to go back and fourth on the issue till the cows come home...I also mentioned that not everyone has to hate cops which seems to be the consensus of alot of people based on that thread as well as past ones (namely the "Fucking Pigs, I hate Cops" threads. I just closed it to stop what would surely become just more of an arguement and not end up solving anything, and the thread was not on the topic at hand for what the author was looking for and so what wrong with what I did?

Did I do it to spite you specifically? Nope, just stopping a problem before it starts.

kaput
06-22-2003, 04:14 PM
I don't know if that ticket thread is what rx7 is talking about or not, but if it is then I agree that it shouldn't have been closed. If both sides want to go back and forth in a civil manner until the cows come home then why shouldn't they? Isn't that how our government works? :D

Ben
06-22-2003, 04:27 PM
All those threads do are turn into these type of arguements:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16653

They dont end up achieving anything except some people getting pissed off and insulting members.

Sure, much of what was said has substance and is somewhat true, but things have to be kept realative and on topic.

The creator of the thread actually complained that the thread wasn't solving any of his questions and so why bother continue?

All it would have evolved into is more argument and disagreemnt with no agreeable outcome.

I'm sorry if you feel violated that the thread was closed, it wasn't because I feel I am right and think you all as inferior :D, just want to stop what ALWAYS gets ugly.

I hope this makes sence, How about the people who were activly involved in that thread pm me or something saying they promiss to be good and I'll reopen it or something? :D Its just you have to play the odds, and the odds were that this was just going to turn into yet another cop hating thread like the dozens of others.

method
06-22-2003, 04:32 PM
yeah um, not that I really know anything about the situation, but the people that complain about 'free speech' or 'democratic blah blah' on a message board need to get their heads together. If they moderate the board, they can do whatever the hell they want. You dont have to agree with any of it, but you should probably start accepting it.

mwmhong
06-22-2003, 04:46 PM
On this forum, there is a strange parallel occurring between:

People complaining about the police
People complaining about the moderators

Wierd huh?
Legal authority vs. moral authority. :dunno:

Superesc
06-22-2003, 04:49 PM
IF a moderator is not happy with someone, most of the time, the BAN button will be use instead of the CLOSE THREAD button hehehe

With that said, we don't BAN for no reason :D

Abom
06-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Benny was correct in closing that thread. You got a ticket because you screwed up. Your own fault. End of story. There's no need to go on some rampage about how the cops are this and that.

kaput
06-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I'm sorry if you feel violated that the thread was closed, it wasn't because I feel I am right and think you all as inferior :D, just want to stop what ALWAYS gets ugly.

I hope this makes sence, How about the people who were activly involved in that thread pm me or something saying they promiss to be good and I'll reopen it or something?

I know where you're comming from, and I know what you mean. I don't think its the people who were actively involved in the thread that need to PM you promising to be good, but rather those who feel the need to make some ignorant comments and run away. Many good discussions have been ruined here because of these people who have everything and nothing to say and force the closure of a good debate.

Usually a few stupid people ruin it for the majority. We must be breeding stupid people, because I don't think a single good thread hasn't been closed because of them. I'm afraid they might outnumber soon, if not already...

Ben
06-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by kaput

I know where you're comming from, and I know what you mean. I don't think its the people who were actively involved in the thread that need to PM you promising to be good, but rather those who feel the need to make some ignorant comments and run away. Many good discussions have been ruined here because of these people who have everything and nothing to say and force the closure of a good debate.

Usually a few stupid people ruin it for the majority. We must be breeding stupid people, because I don't think a single good thread hasn't been closed because of them. I'm afraid they might outnumber soon, if not already...

EXACTLY!!!!

4wheeldrift
06-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Usually a few stupid people ruin it for the majority. We must be breeding stupid people, because I don't think a single good thread hasn't been closed because of them. I'm afraid they might outnumber soon, if not already... Intelligence is being bred out of the gene pool at an appallingly quick rate.

GTS Jeff
06-22-2003, 07:30 PM
IB the L...y0

Seanith
06-22-2003, 07:34 PM
"Darwin's rolling over in his coffin
Cause the fittest are surviving much less often
Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening
Someone flopped a steamer in the gene pool
Now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception, it's the rule
And I'm starting to feel a lot like Charlton Heston
Stranded on a primate planet
Apes and orangutans that ran to the ground
With generals and the armies that obey them
Followers following fables
Philosophy has not enable them to rule without regard"

ScCab
06-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
A thread should be closed on the basis of it's content. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. The mods should be unbiased in their decision to close a thread. This did not happen recently. A mod decided to add his 2 cents to the end of a thread, and when I called him on it that thread was removed completely. God I love living in a facist state don't you?

Beyond.ca - Car Forums for Car Enthusiasts Rules
Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Although the administrators and moderators of Beyond.ca - Car Forums for Car Enthusiasts will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Beyond.ca - Car Forums for Car Enthusiasts or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Beyond.ca - Car Forums for Car Enthusiasts have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

I don't see a problem here....you did hit the agree button before you registered:rolleyes:

FiveFreshFish
06-22-2003, 08:32 PM
...that thread was removed completely.

The thread is still there.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=18255

rx7_turbo2
06-22-2003, 11:55 PM
Ok first things first people are getting threads mixed up. But it's pointless to straighten it out.

Now in regards to the thread. I have NO problem with the moderators using the power they have to moderate this forum, there is obviously a need for it. If your going to close a thread just close it. Ben added his own comments about those of us who posted in that thread that disagreed with him, and I believe that was unneccesary. I should not have gotten my panties in such a bunch. What can I say I was in a bad mood. Ultimately this is a private forum and I don't pay to be here, I understand if I don't like it I can leave.

I wanted to have a dicussion on the topic at hand but it was not allowed. I am sick of hearing the "well the law is the law and you broke the law so you should pay" Why, if no one questions or opposes the laws government makes can you imagine what type of police state we would live in. Some laws are not right, and need to be changed, but if no one is allowed to voice an opinion about it, nothing will ever happen. This is the type of discussion I wanted to have. I have nothing against the police as a whole, they serve a valuable role in society, but members of the police often act and abuse their stature and they should be rightly called on it. The more and more I live in this country the more I want to leave.

Strider
06-23-2003, 12:27 AM
I think that more constructive comments that could have been made in that thread and it shouldn't have been closed.

5.9 R/T
06-23-2003, 12:41 AM
Oh please. That thread was going no where. It doesn't matter what side Ben is on, he is right, that thread wasn't going to come to a conclusion because no one is willing to change their views on the situation. If you feel so strongly about it go start another thread, but please bring more to the arguement then what you already have.

Strider
06-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Oh please. That thread was going no where. It doesn't matter what side Ben is on, he is right, that thread wasn't going to come to a conclusion because no one is willing to change their views on the situation. If you feel so strongly about it go start another thread, but please bring more to the arguement then what you already have.

I wasn't going to add fuel to the fire, or start any arguements... for some reason you seem to think you're all high and mighty and righteous, he was asking for advice because $175 is a ludicrous fine for such a small offence... why contribute to the thread at all if you didn't have any advice to give?

Anyways, if there is a grace period for producing your license in the event that you lost it, and the fine is $175 for failure to produce, not driving without a license, then why not lie and say you just lost your wallet? The fine almost encourages lying to the police, it's ridiculous. I think he should talk to the CP of fight the ticket rather than paying the "stupid tax"

5.9 R/T
06-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Actually you are right. I didn't even read the first post throughly the first time, just saw traffic ticket as the thread topic and made an assumption. Guess I started that whole mess didn't I? :banghead: Ah well, shit happens.

4wheeldrift
06-23-2003, 07:18 AM
I wanted to have a dicussion on the topic at hand but it was not allowed. I am sick of hearing the "well the law is the law and you broke the law so you should pay" Why, if no one questions or opposes the laws government makes can you imagine what type of police state we would live in. Some laws are not right, and need to be changed, but if no one is allowed to voice an opinion about it, nothing will ever happen. This is the type of discussion I wanted to have. I have nothing against the police as a whole, they serve a valuable role in society, but members of the police often act and abuse their stature and they should be rightly called on it. The more and more I live in this country the more I want to leave. You have absolutely no idea how good you have it in this country. You think this is a police state? How about brazil, where the cops can just shoot you for "resisting arrest" and are not answerable to anyone? Maybe you'd like to go to mexico where you can sit in a prison for life and enjoy thrice daily beatings just because? Or hey, how about you head to Iran where you can be executed in the street for criticizing the government. I'm not saying criticizing the law is a bad thing, but give your head a shake if you think this is turning into a police state. You obviously have no idea exactly how much freedom you enjoy.

rage2
06-23-2003, 09:19 AM
See this is why threads get closed. Off topic. This has nothing to do with closing the thread. Mods use their judgement to close threads, end of story. A post at the end with a reason was justified. Thank you. Thread closed.