PDA

View Full Version : Well that sucked bad

TacoMexicano
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
So I'm out the other night watching Ratatouille at Crowfoot cinema, and drive home right afterwards, only bout a 3 minute drive. Get home, just past midnight, park in front of my house where I always do, and head to bed. Wake up the next day, ready to go to work, head outside... and no car.

So im kind of like, half asleep, so figure well maybe i parked in the garage... no dice. Walk back and forth between garage and front driveway bout 5 times before I realize what it is that happened. The "best" part is that i had just the day before put a 640w Alpine amp paired with 2 Alpine S10 subs.

I call the cops, and they say "oh, a 1993 Civic hatch? yeah we already have it here"

wtf?

Turns out some kids between 15 and 16 yrs old, along with a 20yr old stole 3 cars, drove them to SE calgary, in Erin woods, so otherside of the city where I live. They then proceeded to drive through fences and peoples yards, in back alleys, before finally crashing the cars together. Thats where the police found them, ditched on the side of the road.

So now my concern is whether or not anything was stolen out of my car, how bad the damage is, and what the best course of action would be.

Also, more important, what are some of the best ways to prevent that from happening again? its not much of a car but im attached to the thing, lots of fun times with it, and just dont want it stolen again.

Cheers

lamp_shade_2000
07-17-2007, 01:27 PM
WOW does that suck. If you get the car back in decent shape and keep it maybe think about putting a good alarm in it and also a removable steering wheel. That is one of the best theft deterants I can think of for a car. Keep us updated as to the condition of the car.

KRyn
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
WOW that sucks.. They just crashed all three cars together after?
Sorry to hear about your lose, hope everything works out for you.

If you get any pictures you should post them.

adam c
07-17-2007, 01:31 PM
fuel cut off switch

shakalaka
07-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Amazing how fucking stupid and useless some people can be. Some people have no respect for other's things. Try getting a loud alarm system or something? I mean it isn't 100% theft proof but does work as a deterrent for some people.

Euro_Trash
07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Did they bust the kids? Did you have collision insurance on your car?

TacoMexicano
07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Heh, i got a hold of the cop that dealt with the bad guys, and although he has no knowledge of my vehicle other than that its being fingerprinted, they do have the kids in custody, 15 yrs old, 16, and the 20 yr old, and are in the process of matching the fingerprints with those on the three cars. Apperantly if i want to find out anything bout the state of my vehicle, i have to call the officer in charge of that. However hes out untill tommorow, so im stuck here at home wondering what condition my car is in. My main concern is what they stole, if anything.

And yes, my car was one of the ones in the collision

reiRei
07-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry, but somehow I pictured this going on in my head...

Originally posted by TacoMexicano
So im kind of like, half asleep, so figure well maybe i parked in the garage... no dice. Walk back and forth between garage and front driveway bout 5 times before I realize what it is that happened. wtf?

get an alarm? with a two way pager and LCD screen.. that gives me piece of mind

DayGlow
07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
easiest, very effective theft deterrent is a club on the steering wheel. Remember I say deterrent because if a thief wants your car then no anti-theft device is going to stop them in the end. What it does do is make it more inconvenient for the thief to take your vehicle and they will move on to another, easier score.

Super_Geo
07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
they do have the kids in custody, 15 yrs old, 16, and the 20 yr old, and are in the process of matching the fingerprints with those on the three cars.

What's really depressing here is that the 15 and 16 year olds will get off with a slap on the wrist after causing tens of thousands of dollars in damage.

They better throw the book at 20 year old... you know... like 3 or 4 years or something :rolleyes:

97'Scort
07-17-2007, 04:17 PM
I've got a 2 way alarm w/motion, shock, tilt, glass, doors, hood and trunk, double locking, fuel shut off and a chipped key. That sucker isn't going anywhere without a fight :thumbsup:

Euro_Trash
07-17-2007, 04:28 PM

And yes, my car was one of the ones in the collision

I meant do you have collision insurance?

KuruptEX
07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I've got a 2 way alarm w/motion, shock, tilt, glass, doors, hood and trunk, double locking, fuel shut off and a chipped key. That sucker isn't going anywhere without a fight :thumbsup:

oh man thats hi-tek what alarm u got:drool:

97'Scort
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Compustar and a guy who really knows how to install it. Some of those are built in to the BMW already, you just have to know how to turn them on.

ercchry
07-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by adam c
fuel cut off switch

:werd: yes best and cheapest by far, alarms will turn off, and clubs are able to be broken, stearing wheel removale is great unless you leave it in your car...

a hidden fuel cut off is cheap as hell (its a $2 switch and some wire) and if the car doesnt run then who will steal it?

BrknFngrs
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
how about you get some money together and see if you can pay the cop to give you some personal information on the kids? Do everyone a favor and deal with this situation properly.:guns:

5hift
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

They better throw the book at 20 year old... you know... like 3 or 4 years or something :rolleyes:

That 20 year old wont even be in jail for a year. This guy I went to highschool with was a complete fuckup. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time before he went to jail the way he was so violent. Well he stabbed some innocent guy many times at a club over abolsolutely nothing. The victim is still in the hospital and will probably never fully recover. I was glad that this loser would finally be in jail for what I thought would be at least five years or so considering he already had a couple assualt charges, but just a few weeks ago, I saw him driving around in his car again.

What does it take in Canada to actually get put in jail for a significant amount of time.

TacoMexicano
07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
The details the cop told me is that they were all from northern alberta, Stole a car up there, drove it down to calgary, Stole my car and my neighbors, which was a 1994 ford taurus, and then drove them to erin woods.

Stupid.

chosen-juan
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Man, there is so many assholes in our city now, well at least you can expect the 20 year old to be away for a while.

Nufy
07-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Tell em to keep the car as along as you get a half hour each with the kids......

00CivicSi
07-18-2007, 12:06 PM
To be honest lets hope the dmg on your car is enough of a write off so you can go buy a new one. My buddy had his civic stolen got it back 2 weeks later with minor dings on the exterior and a lil mess inside of the car. The engine and tranny took most of the beating. He got the car back after insurance said it was ok and repaired a few things inside. After 3 months the trannny went poo poo and engine went. Guys bagged the shit out of it. To fix all that is almost a write off. Good luck

AD_Runner
07-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by chosen-juan
Man, there is so many assholes in our city now, well at least you can expect the 20 year old to be away for a while.

Assholes every where! People have no respect for others which truly suck!

BoS_DC2
07-18-2007, 12:29 PM
The details the cop told me is that they were all from [b]northern alberta[b/], Stole a car up there, drove it down to calgary, Stole my car and my neighbors, which was a 1994 ford taurus, and then drove them to erin woods.

Stupid.

Were they from Edmonton?
:whipped:

Lex350
07-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by adam c
fuel cut off switch

FTW.....I had one of those and a brake light cut out swtch (don't ask) on one of my old cars.

ken-gsr
07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
what if you forgot to flip the switch for your brake lights when you were in the car lol.

adam c
07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

:werd: yes best and cheapest by far, alarms will turn off, and clubs are able to be broken, stearing wheel removale is great unless you leave it in your car...

a hidden fuel cut off is cheap as hell (its a $2 switch and some wire) and if the car doesnt run then who will steal it?

Originally posted by rotten42

FTW.....I had one of those and a brake light cut out swtch (don't ask) on one of my old cars.

and easy enough to install.. i did one in my car and kuruptEX previous car.. if u put in a relay then u can use a car starter with it and still have the switch turned off

eb0i
07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Sorry to hear man :( Too bad the idiot thieves didn't seriously injure each other while crashing the cars.

But I think the best in deterrent is the Club. You can get one from $50-$80 at Walmart/Canadian Tire, and then install a fuel cut-off switch.

TacoMexicano
07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
So i just got back from the impound lot, Took some pictures of my car and what not, turns out that my car was the least damaged of them. The theives were from Lacombe, AB, which oddly enough is where i once dated a girl bout two years back, and things never really ended well with her.

So nothing was actually stolen out of my car, except for a $5 set of sunglasses, everything else was in there, just thrown about, The subs were still there, amp, everything. Sub covers were damaged, The rear bumber is pretty much gone, steering column needs to be replaced, and the paint looks like ass from the fences they drove through.

And the clutch pedal is leaking. always good.

Worst part is, the quarter panel that has a small amount of rust got damaged around where the rust is, but the insurance doesnt want to repair that because. well its rust. so so gay.

And finally yeah the car is really dust from the fingerprinting, but they got some good finger prints, they allowed me to take my subs and amp with me, so now their sitting in moms minivan, which is what im driving since shes out of the country. Now im just waiting on a damage estimate and a date when they can get it done by. Driving a Windstar suuuux