PDA

View Full Version : shaw hd pvr features

Fred
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I just picked up a pvr this week and I'm still in the process of getting things setup like I want them.

I have the coax audio from the PVR going to my Harmen Karden amp but none of the Harmen Karden codes work with the PVR remote. I tried the hitting setup and 9 + 9 + 1 and the channel button till the amp turned off but the amp has seperate buttons to turn it on and off.

Am I screwed and going to have to buy a universal remote or is there a way for the PVR remote to do a macro to turn everything on and off?

GoChris
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
buy a logitech harmony remote. i doubt the pvr remote has any codes for your audio receiver

heavyD
07-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I use mine to turn on my Sony XBR TV, Pioneer receiver and it does volume on both. Depending on your make or model you may be SOL though. I've had issues trying to get universal remotes to work with some Yamaha receivers so you may have to go with the harmony remote which is worth it if you have the $$$.

Xtrema
07-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Fred
I just picked up a pvr this week and I'm still in the process of getting things setup like I want them.

I have the coax audio from the PVR going to my Harmen Karden amp but none of the Harmen Karden codes work with the PVR remote. I tried the hitting setup and 9 + 9 + 1 and the channel button till the amp turned off but the amp has seperate buttons to turn it on and off.

Am I screwed and going to have to buy a universal remote or is there a way for the PVR remote to do a macro to turn everything on and off?

I have the exact setup with Harmony remote. Trust me, it's the best $100 you'll ever spend.

Plus the harmony remote has the 30sec skip code that I don't think it's on the PVR's remote.

5hift
07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I bought the Harmony Remote thinking that, and I'm back to using the Shaw PVR remote for my home theatre setup now.

They are overpriced and seem to forget programing on a regular basis. Not to mention they are the most battery hungry remotes I have every used.

Fred
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Turning on component individually is just not an option. I guess I'll have to break down and buy a Harmony 800. Anyone have one of these ?

GoChris
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I have a harmony something, dont have much problem with the battery and just get 1 hour rechargeables anyway. I only recharge like once a month.

also have had no problems of it forgetting anything at all. its awesome, I use it for the pvr, media pc, wii, xbox to turn everything to the proper input.

jza71
07-18-2007, 10:07 PM
New Shaw remotes are learning remotes so you can program ir codes from your factory remote on to the shaw remote.

FiveFreshFish
07-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Plus the harmony remote has the 30sec skip code that I don't think it's on the PVR's remote.

New Motorola remotes have a 30-second skip and a 15-second replay.

hedge
07-19-2007, 08:51 AM
I have 3 harmony remotes, 2 880's and an older 659. The 880's have a rechargeable battery built in. I got mine on Dell's days of deals fo $119.

I've used harmony remotes for 4 years and have never had it lose my programming.

If you are having problems with battery life, make sure you have the current firmware, the battery life issue was fixed in a firmware release.

Fred
07-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Well I finally have things partially functioning. I can now turn the amp off with the amp power button on the PVR remote. I programed the aux power button on the PVR remote to turn it on. It's not pretty but it works.