PDA

View Full Version : 2 Write Offs in One Night

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Now that I have heard back from the guys who were inspecting the cars, I figured I would post my story from the weekend.

So early morning Saturday I get woken up by my doorbell ringing a bunch of times (this is at about 2) so I throw some clothes on and head upstairs. A group of kids (probably age 16 or so) are standing outside, and tell me that someone hit my car and he is now trying to get away. They tell me he hit the "red car" (so the E30). So I run upstairs and grab my brother, ready to go confront the guy.
He is about a block and a half down the road, where he had pushed his older Intrepid, and I could hear him trying to start. So my brother and I book it down the road, and grab him. The guy was stinking like crazy and stumbling around, asking us to help him. So I call the cops, and we drag him back to my house. His car was destroyed, the front end smashed up like crazy.
We get back to my house and I finally see the carnage. Buddy must of fallen asleep, because there was no skid marks anywhere. He pushed the BMW about 20 feet (each car was parked on either side of the driveway) into the back of the Jetta, which was pushed another few feet into the back of a truck. Keep in mind, the BMW was left in gear with the E-brake on, and the Jetta was left in gear.
Found out later the kid was 17 and he blew almost double the limit in both tests. Not sure if he was charged for elaving the scene of an accident or not, but I am pretty sure with how many witnesses there were he will be charged.
The damage:
1995 Jetta GLX - $8500
1987 BMW 325i - $7000
1996 Dodge Dakote - needs new back bumper

So now I am back looking at a new car. I have my sights set on a few, but haven't decided if I am taking out a loan for a nice newer car or just paying cash like before.
This is my third incident with drunk drivers, not as bad as the 2 before, but still pisses me off to no ends

(Sorry for the super-sized post)

avow
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
oh man that is unreal! post some picks of the damage for sure!

people seriously need to stay the fuck out of their cars if they have been drinking :whipped:

bulaian
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
Ouch that really sucks. What kind of car do you have in mind?

Justing
07-18-2007, 01:37 PM
:eek:
holy shite, good luck dealing with this mess man!!
Good thing you caught the guy though... waht an idiot:banghead:

waht are you looking at picking up next?

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I will post pics of the carnage tonight. It actually doesn't look too bad until you look closer (rear quarters cracked, gaps in doors nonexistant, etc)

I will probably post a WTB thread in the near future. I am going on holidays for the weekend and not going to think about this for a few days

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Justing

Good thing you caught the guy though...

Exactly my thoughts, I would of been out of quite a bit of cash if my neighbors hadn't came and grabbed me, I still have to go over and thank them again.

I feel bad for the kids parents though, I don't know how they are taking this whole thing, and I am pretty sure it will be all on them since he isn't legal yet

TVG
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

I feel bad for the kids parents though, I don't know how they are taking this whole thing, and I am pretty sure it will be all on them since he isn't legal yet

Ya man I did that when I was 16. Wasn't drunk, and I didn't get charged with anything, but fuck it sucked. Don't even like thinking about it.

D'z Nutz
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Shit, that sucks. Go find those kids that were ringing your doorbell and do something nice for them :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2007, 01:56 PM

Exactly my thoughts, I would of been out of quite a bit of cash if my neighbors hadn't came and grabbed me, I still have to go over and thank them again.

I doubt his parents will be fronting the bill :) I'm sure he will be paying them back to learn his lesson.

KRyn
07-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Drunk driving FTL. What a stupid kid, I hope they revoke his license for a long long time. Maybe even forever.

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Well I am guessing he was GDL, so I can see the consequences being pretty harsh

thrasher22
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Drunk drivers should be kicked in the face.

dmtx
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I thought that it would be the insurance company who usually press charges against the stupid driver. The insurance company pays for the damaged cars and then go after the drunk driver to collect some bills. Although sometimes they don't do so if the lawsuit will cost them more and the chances of collecting is almost like nothing.

so fvcking unreal these stupid drunk drivers....

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah I have learned a lesson here as well. See I thought if I didn't have collision I would be fine as long as I didn't hit anyone else. I thought if someone hits me, then my insurance company will pay for it. Apparently not, so from now on my cars will have collision on them!

Mitsu3000gt
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah I have learned a lesson here as well. See I thought if I didn't have collision I would be fine as long as I didn't hit anyone else. I thought if someone hits me, then my insurance company will pay for it. Apparently not, so from now on my cars will have collision on them!

I thought collision was for accidents that were your-fault only as well. Can someone confirm?

rinny
07-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Are you saying that you're screwed, footing the bill because the other guy's insurance wont pay for your cars?? Thats fuckin ridiculous if so...

avow
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I thought collision was for accidents that were your-fault only as well. Can someone confirm?
If someone hits you you and you only have PLPD you have to deal with their insurance company to get your money. where as if you have collision your insurance company pays you and then goes after the other insurance company.

dmtx
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

that's how I understand it... if you're not at fault, the other party's TPL should cover the damage of your car. I'm not sure though if you will claim from his insurance directly or if you still can go through your insurance.....

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Edit: Yep have to go through their insurance

Mangina
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Are you saying that you're screwed, footing the bill because the other guy's insurance wont pay for your cars?? Thats fuckin ridiculous if so...

The guys insurance won't cover it because he was drunk. This is pretty common.

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Mangina

Which means I have to try and settle with the guy and his family directly right? And if they don't want to settle out of court then I have to put my suing pants on?

MackDawg
07-18-2007, 02:40 PM
PLPD FTL

Justing
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Which means I have to try and settle with the guy and his family directly right? And if they don't want to settle out of court then I have to put my suing pants on?

are you FREAKING serious? thats BS
hopefully his parents are decent ppl and dont make this difficult for you.

JGerke
07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
yep, PLPD is revoked since he was wasted....can't beleive you managed to catch him though....sounds like those kids deserve something nice!

Euro_Trash
07-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Justing

are you FREAKING serious? thats BS
hopefully his parents are decent ppl and dont make this difficult for you.

Yea I am hoping they just rip a check off!

silver_gs-R
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
wow thats rough man, sorry to hear.

all i can say is good luck

and :guns: to drunk drivers.

Tik-Tok
07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Mangina

Depends on the insurance company. Years ago a friend was completely wasted, driving 120 on Macleod, hit a car stopped at a red light.

His insurance actually paid for it. His parents had insurance with them for 20 years though, so that's probably why.

ZorroAMG
07-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Xbox games or something for the kids once you get your money :D

Hope it all works out for you!

schocker
07-18-2007, 03:42 PM
wow that sucks, hopefully you find a good new car soon:eek:

SunniSunShine
07-18-2007, 03:54 PM
sorry to hear about this euro trash, it is quite sad to find out that if a minor is caught driving drunk With a GDL license and PLPD insurance they will not cover them. Whats the point of getting insurance then? I never read this in the fine print, although i am covered with full comprehensive.

Hopefully for you the parents are able to pay for the damages outright. If not its going to cost you to bring them to court, but then you can sue for more than the damages.

Good luck with everything, and you definitely owe those kids for savin yer ass, imagine waking up to that carnage with no clear sign of the driver... Slurpees in heat like this will suffice!

rage2
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine
sorry to hear about this euro trash, it is quite sad to find out that if a minor is caught driving drunk With a GDL license and PLPD insurance they will not cover them. Whats the point of getting insurance then?
The point of insurance is to protect you from accidents, not illegal, irresponsible and reckless behavior.

Life insurance doesn't cover suicides, is that wrong too?

Hemi RT
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Actually you are covered by his insurance even though he was impaired, he isn't covered so he will have to pay for his damages. Your insurance company will look after your vehicles but do some paper work as they will still try and pay you a lot less than you feel they are worth. Get pricings on replacing them with the same vehicle and mileage so you can show ads with these vehicles.

Once you are paid your insurance company will go after his insurance to be re-imbursed; his insuance company may go after him or his parents to recover what they paid out, either way who ever the vehicle is registered to will have a tough time getting insurance again.

mekeni
07-18-2007, 05:32 PM
did you manage to thank the kids who woke you up... I think they deserve a slurpee or something :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hakkola
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It does cover suicide.

My brother's father in law committed suicide 4 months or so ago, his wife got about 1 million from the life insurance policy. You can't just take one out and commit suicide, but if you have had it for a few years the insurance will pay out to the family, in full, in the event of a suicide.

bignerd
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

It does cover suicide.

My brother's father in law committed suicide 4 months or so ago, his wife got about 1 million from the life insurance policy. You can't just take one out and commit suicide, but if you have had it for a few years the insurance will pay out to the family, in full, in the event of a suicide.

Is true, usually you have to have the policy for two years first. Depends on the company but I know that is what it was for the life insurance on mortgages at the bank I worked at.

SunniSunShine
07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2

The point of insurance is to protect you from accidents, not illegal, irresponsible and reckless behavior.

Originally posted by Hakkola

It does cover suicide.

Originally posted by bignerd

Is true, usually you have to have the policy for two years first. Depends on the company but I know that is what it was for the life insurance on mortgages at the bank I worked at.

start planning :rofl: JK