PDA

View Full Version : Audi Bi-turbo (2.7T)

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 09:49 AM
This is in an A6, but I know its the same engine as the S4 so some more people should be able to help out.

Just wondering what you think of these cars, I know reliability isnt great, but Im not expecting a honda here.

Major maintaienace after 100K km's?
Life of turbo's etc (dont know THAT much about FI cars)?
Gas mileage (not that I really care haha)?

How does it compare to 5 -series (e39, just trying to get a guage compred to something I have driven a bit)

KRyn
07-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I have driven both the S4 and A6 with this engine and I have to say it pulls hard and is very easy to mod. Reliability wise my friend with the A6 has had a few problems, nothing major/serious. My buddy with the S4 has had no problems at all. I have never personally driven any 5 series but I have been in quite a few. I find the fit and finish of Audi to be better than that of all the BMWs and Benz I have been in. I can't speak for gas mileage in either the A6 or S4 but I can't see it being great.

S4maniac
07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
It really depends on how you drive them. Mine (I had a S4) had no problems for 5 years. None what so ever. Most turbo issues are because of mods. Always use the best synthetic you can (ie Mobil1) The engine itself was really quite bullet-proof. If you chip them, you get astounding bump in performance, and should the turbo's blow, its the same price to replace them with K04's which can push you close to 400hp.

No real major maintenance other than timing belts which is normal for all vehicles.

Mileage is suprisingly low. Plus it lives on premium.

I don't own a bmw, but ridden in quite a few. I like the Audi interior better, though the accessory buttons are quite small.

There's my Coles notes...

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:12 AM
S4 build quality is much better than the german brands for that model. Pops had one and i absolutely loved it, power real jumps in quick and your going faster than you realize in a hurry. Stock turbos have reliability issues and are unlikely to last past 130k (according to our german mechanic). Again though, replace them with the KKK's and you've got a pile more power. After that car was sold, drove one of the new v8's and suprisingly the 6 was a better motor even though the 8s have more horsepower...they just aren't as nice.

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 10:18 AM
How do you know if turbos are on their way out?

I have heard of the K04 upgrade, how much is that?

S4maniac
07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
You know the turbo's are going if there is a high pitch dentist drill whine. That or if you have white smoke billowing out your tailpipe. Turbos usually don't gradually blow, either they're working or self-destructing.

Last I had heard a turbo replacement is in the $5k-$6k range. Expensive because they gotta pull the entire front end off the car to reach them.

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:25 AM
turbos on the way out may leak oil and may lose power...

This is a full upgrade kit and includes everything from manifold, turbos, chipping, injectors, tubing, gasket sets, and ups the power to around 460 horse. 160hp for 8g's really isnt bad. Most of this stuff is stock on the RS4. Of course, you can always decide not to get the manifolds and save 3g's.

http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=4&PEI=6&PP=s4_27t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=rsk04

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 10:25 AM
So an inspection/diag test wouldnt be able to say the turbos are going?

Is there a "stay away" mileage for these cars/engines?

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
I disagree...turbos can partially go....oil leaks and slightly lose turbines will cause issues without completely destroying the turbo (for a while at least). I see no reason why you would blow white smoke either...its not coolant, its oil burning or running rich.

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:28 AM
ours was sold at around 115km to avoid the expensive timing belt replacement. a test would tell you if the turbos are within 2-5 thou km away from going or are already done. No way to tell the general wear unless you remove them.

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 10:32 AM
What mileage is the t-belt service reccomended?

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:37 AM
bah...good question...audiworld is saying 104-120miles for all 1.8, 2.7 and 2.8 engines...from what I remember, it was more like 130km according to the manual...this has been a few years so I would call audi and find out.

JGerke
07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
this is a good one

http://audiport.com/survey/turbo/turbo_result.htm

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by JGerke
this is a good one

http://audiport.com/survey/turbo/turbo_result.htm

Thanks, thats a little more comforting.

I've been reading up on Audizine on it as well.

S4maniac
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
It the turbo's are going, they won't last long. That was my point.

The smoke is white (or blue/white) cause of the temperature of the turbo's and the cats. There will be black oil dripping out everywhere though. Youtube has some wonderful video of turbo's blowing.

Originally posted by JGerke
I disagree...turbos can partially go....oil leaks and slightly lose turbines will cause issues without completely destroying the turbo (for a while at least). I see no reason why you would blow white smoke either...its not coolant, its oil burning or running rich.

Mitsu3000gt
07-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I own both cars in question. Both are excellent and have caused little to no trouble, but are cared for extremely well.

For the S4, the turbo life depends totally on how you treat them. Use syntetic oil (mobil 0W40), don't get on the boost until you have oil temperature, and cool them after driving, and they should last a long time even chipped. There are guys with 250,000km on stock, chipped, turbos, and there are guys whose turbos blew at 60,000km bone stock, unchipped.

A full K04 upgrade, with new intercoolers, cluth, exhaust and everything, including labor, is about $13k, and that gets you 400WHP along with the same drivability/reliability as stock. It's about ~$2400 for the turbos + labor if you only want those.

Also I own the VAG-COM diagnostic tool and if your considering a car in the Calgary area I would be willing to scan it for you to see if there are any less obvious issues.

bobby_lu
07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I own both cars in question. Both are excellent and have caused little to no trouble, but are cared for extremely well.

For the S4, the turbo life depends totally on how you treat them. Use syntetic oil (mobil 0W40), don't get on the boost until you have oil temperature, and cool them after driving, and they should last a long time even chipped. There are guys with 250,000km on stock, chipped, turbos, and there are guys whose turbos blew at 60,000km bone stock, unchipped.

A full K04 upgrade, with new intercoolers, cluth, exhaust and everything, including labor, is about $13k, and that gets you 400WHP along with the same drivability/reliability as stock. It's about ~$2400 for the turbos + labor if you only want those.

Also I own the VAG-COM diagnostic tool and if your considering a car in the Calgary area I would be willing to scan it for you to see if there are any less obvious issues.

Thanks, I may be in contact.

Tik-Tok
07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
I happen to have one for sale right now... it's in an allroad though, not an A6.

Awesome engine (and I'm not just saying that because of I'm selling, lol)