PDA

View Full Version : Telus GPS capable Cellphone: Samsung U510

topher91
07-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Just currious about this cellphone.

Is the GPS like the other GPS units out there? Like the TomTom's and Garmin's?

Do you have to pay for this service? or is it included in SPARK?

Thanks,

Chris

Xtrema
07-20-2007, 04:01 PM
No. It only cover urban centers and data is loaded thru SPARK network. Useless IMO.

Tomtom, Garmin has local database. With NA maps close to 1GB is size, I can't see how that phone can hold that much info.

topher91
07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
No. It only cover urban centers and data is loaded thru SPARK network. Useless IMO.

Tomtom, Garmin has local database. With NA maps close to 1GB is size, I can't see how that phone can hold that much info.

REally.... that is kinda useless....

Thanks for the info!

em2ab
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
People have this financial misconception about GPS. You never pay for the service, the unit itself automatically connects to any visible satellites (usually 8-10 at a time) and shows your location on a map.
The difference with the GPS cell phones is that it doesn't have any sort of GPS software on the phone so you can't use it to find your way anywhere. The Telus GPS is simply so that someone else can log onto the Telus website and display your location on the planet down to somewhere around a city block in some cases. It's not functional for the user.

spikerS
07-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
People have this financial misconception about GPS. You never pay for the service, the unit itself automatically connects to any visible satellites (usually 8-10 at a time) and shows your location on a map.
The difference with the GPS cell phones is that it doesn't have any sort of GPS software on the phone so you can't use it to find your way anywhere. The Telus GPS is simply so that someone else can log onto the Telus website and display your location on the planet down to somewhere around a city block in some cases. It's not functional for the user.

there were a few points of brilliance there, but mostly wrong.

Telus offers 2 different GPS services.

1 is called Kid find. This service allows a person to track a cell phone location via the web.

2 is called Navigator, this service will display a map on the phone's screen with it's current location. navigator will get you to a general area to help you find your way.

both of these services has software that must be downloaded to the phone. Not anyone can just go and check your position, there are checks and balances in place to stop that, and can always be disabled from the phone.
true, these services really only work in metropolitain areas.

The misleading part is that the GPS services telus offers, are not really GPS. GPS stands for Global positioning system, using sattelites. but in this case, it uses the network to try and tri-angulate your position. unfortuantly this way is not THAT accurate, and can be off by as much as 3-400 meters depending on which towers can be used to check your position.

If you are looking for pin point accuracy, this system will probably never be able to deliver that, and you are better off getting an actual stand alone GPS device.

Sharpie
07-20-2007, 07:05 PM
It is a big waste IMO i have it and it sucks balls

em2ab
07-21-2007, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by spikers

there were a few points of brilliance there, but mostly wrong.

Telus offers 2 different GPS services.

1 is called Kid find. This service allows a person to track a cell phone location via the web.

2 is called Navigator, this service will display a map on the phone's screen with it's current location. navigator will get you to a general area to help you find your way.

both of these services has software that must be downloaded to the phone. Not anyone can just go and check your position, there are checks and balances in place to stop that, and can always be disabled from the phone.
true, these services really only work in metropolitain areas.

The misleading part is that the GPS services telus offers, are not really GPS. GPS stands for Global positioning system, using sattelites. but in this case, it uses the network to try and tri-angulate your position. unfortuantly this way is not THAT accurate, and can be off by as much as 3-400 meters depending on which towers can be used to check your position.

If you are looking for pin point accuracy, this system will probably never be able to deliver that, and you are better off getting an actual stand alone GPS device.

Thanks for trying but several of Telus' phones actually have GPS receivers in them while others use network triangulation. The Samsung 950 for example has a GPS specific receiver which runs off satellites, not the network.

spikerS
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Thanks for trying but several of Telus' phones actually have GPS receivers in them while others use network triangulation. The Samsung 950 for example has a GPS specific receiver which runs off satellites, not the network.

HAHA, nice try, but that is bullshit. I work for DNA in telus. i know all these products inside out. The samsung A950? that is my personal phone, and DOES NOT use a sattelite in ANY way. Go take a look at the smallest GPS receiver, and tell me if half of it could fit inside that frame. ALL GPS services from telus work off the network, even the 911 emergency part. it is all plotted by direction from a tower.

em2ab
07-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by spikers

HAHA, nice try, but that is bullshit. I work for DNA in telus. i know all these products inside out. The samsung A950? that is my personal phone, and DOES NOT use a sattelite in ANY way. Go take a look at the smallest GPS receiver, and tell me if half of it could fit inside that frame. ALL GPS services from telus work off the network, even the 911 emergency part. it is all plotted by direction from a tower.

That's swell but I worked DNA Helpdesk for Telus for a year. See link below.

http://www.telusmobility.com/clientcare/pcs_east/faqs/gps_faqs.shtml

Specifically:

What is GPS technology?

GPS stands for Global Positioning System. TELUS’ advanced GPS technology combines the reliability of multiple location technologies so that mobile devices can be accurately located in various environments:

http://www.telusmobility.com/images/pagegraphics/gps_faq_1.gif

Assisted GPS – the location of a mobile device is determined by triangulating the position of at least three satellites orbiting around our planet with the added help of the our network

You should look for a new job.

SunniSunShine
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
aw shit - this is a good fight, i wish i knew who was right!

topher91
07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Whoa boys.... let's not get too heated... I just wanted to know if I should get it or not!

em2ab
07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
If you're going to ignore the fact that Telus talks on their website how they use satellites in their GPS technology I have no other way of explaining it to you. I hope you don't try to argue with Helpdesk when they try to explain things to you with proof.

Sailz
07-24-2007, 10:13 AM
BB 8830 has a gps chip in it and uses actual satellites to pinpoint your location using maps like google maps and blackberry maps. It works extremely well.