PDA

View Full Version : Subaru WRX STi

Scat
06-23-2003, 12:45 AM
Yeah so this guy down the street from me has an '02 WRX and he just got a silver Sti. Its sooooo sick.

So early yesterday at like 7 am on my way to work, Im driving east on anderson and I see him in his car. Luckily the light on 14th street and anderson turned red so we pull up side by side. Now the guy is kinda old and he didnt really seem to wanna race. I am sitting there with my '85 300zx N/A revin up my engine a little bit with my noisy exhaust just to let him know i wanted him to slaughter me at the first sight of green. when it turned green, he was of course slow off the line, babying his car that im sure he loves so much (who could blame him) and I sort of just take off leaving him behind. Then before I know it he flew by me at about 130km/h. That car is so fast. He could have probably beat me if he was only pushing the throttle half way.

So yeah, thats my story. I encourage everyone to go out there and try racing against cars that would slaughter you at the first push of the throttle:guns:

ecstasy_civic
06-23-2003, 12:53 AM
right, ill get all over that:thumbsup:

nismodrifter
06-23-2003, 02:12 AM
I have seen 2 sti's on the road so far....one driven by a lady and another with a guy RIPPING around in Shawnessy shopping area.

Black STI with like 3 friends inside...saw the dood take a right turn at like 80+km/h and then just roar away still accelerating at full throttle....not even a squeal on the tires . This is in a busy shopping area (right near future shop)

god damn I want an sti :drool: :D

4wheeldrift
06-23-2003, 07:09 AM
There was a blue one at the solo 2 on wednesday. Great googly moogly :eek: Can't wait to get my paws on one :devil:

Fluidic
06-23-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
There was a blue one at the solo 2 on wednesday. Great googly moogly :eek: Can't wait to get my paws on one :devil:

I have a few pics (from that auto-x) that I will post up a little later this afternoon. :thumbsup:

Question, regarding the STI -- are the instruments lit by L.E.D.S? When the guy fired up his lights, the dash just kinda... went bling and then there was light. I dunno -- goofy question -- with hopefully, a not too goofy answer! ;)

Peter

ebny
06-23-2003, 10:33 AM
A revised STi instrument gauge cluster places a 9,000-rpm tachometer in the center, complemented by a 160-mph speedometer, DCCD display, fuel and temperature gauges. Red LED indicators and an illuminated "STi" logo in the tachometer reinforce the sporty driving environment. Offering a preview the vehicle's performance potential, all the gauge needles swing to their maximum positions when the ignition is switched on, then fall back to their normal positions. All three primary gauges are trimmed with aluminum rings.

S4maniac
06-23-2003, 02:18 PM
I'd race him ... should be close!

Fluidic
06-23-2003, 03:21 PM
S4maniac -- what do you have done to your S4 to be pushing 310HP?

Oh... and guys... the pictures are soon to come...

Peter

Fluidic
06-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Picture 1:

Fluidic
06-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Picture 2:

S4maniac
06-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Nuthin but a chip. Exhaust coming soon. Love those STi's though a bit too small for my daily use.

Ben
06-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
Nuthin but a chip. Exhaust coming soon. Love those STi's though a bit too small for my daily use.

50hp chip, kick ass.

FiveFreshFish
06-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Ben

50hp chip, kick ass.

It's the 100+ ft-lbs jump in torque that's kick-ass! :D

max_boost
06-23-2003, 07:23 PM
mmm....I want one haha:love: :thumbsup:

fast95pony
06-24-2003, 08:20 PM
I see those pics were taken before the billboards blew over his car !! :eek:

Boostn
06-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Picture 2:

Yep just saw my first one tonight, a blue STi with gold rims like the pic posted above. I pulled up beside him in my GT-S to get a better look, he must have thought I was racing him & took off! :eek: Don't ppl break in their cars properly anymore? :dunno:

Hash_man
06-28-2003, 12:55 AM
Yep just saw my first one tonight, a blue STi with gold rims like the pic posted above. I pulled up beside him in my GT-S to get a better look, he must have thought I was racing him & took off! Don't ppl break in their cars properly anymore?

I don't know about subarus, but my dad's TL type-s came with the engine already broken in. I guess acura decided it was a good idea.

4wheeldrift
06-28-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Hash_man

I don't know about subarus, but my dad's TL type-s came with the engine already broken in. I guess acura decided it was a good idea. Because too many people don't know how to do it properly, or can't be bothered, or both. Then they come back wondering why their car runs like shit after a year.

eastbear7
06-28-2003, 04:21 PM
I must say....subaru did a good job with redesigning the front end of the WRX's.....the round "neon style" lights were plain disgusting

good work subaru :thumbsup:

Scat
07-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Yeah for sure
the new front end looks great
Much better than the previous ones

Props to Subaru

rage2
07-05-2003, 06:58 PM
The owner of the blue STi took me out for a few laps on the roadcourse on the weekend. That car is damn cool, no holes in the powerband. The adjustable center diff is wicked, dialed all the way to the back, and the understeer is completely gone. Very very good stick on street tires.

Scat
07-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Can the center diff be adjusted from inside the car?

rage2
07-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Scat
Can the center diff be adjusted from inside the car?
Yep!

Scat
07-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Thats so cool man!
From most of the tests I have heard about comparing the STi with the EVO, they have always chosen the EVO.
I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I was reading an article and they said when they were driving the EVO, even with the clutch fully engaged, sometimes between shifts the transmission would grind terribly. That doesn't sound like a quality car to me. I would totally take the STi ... if I had the money.

rage2
07-05-2003, 11:40 PM
Well at Race City, the STi will beat the EVO thanks to the 2 long straights. Power is king here :).

4wheeldrift
07-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by rage2
The owner of the blue STi took me out for a few laps on the roadcourse on the weekend. That car is damn cool, no holes in the powerband. The adjustable center diff is wicked, dialed all the way to the back, and the understeer is completely gone. Very very good stick on street tires. Told ya ;) Thats why i find it so amusing when all these magazines are moaning and wailing about understeer. If you take the time to play with the car and figure out how to use the settings and learn to drive it, you won't see any understeer.

googe
07-06-2003, 11:12 AM
Well at Race City, the STi will beat the EVO thanks to the 2 long straights. Power is king here :).

Think so? The STI has more power, but the evo has an edge in both 0-60 and top speed. Only by a very small margin, but it still wins. I do like the STI better, but grab any magazine that put the 2 against each other and the evo wins in every category by a hair. :(

rage2
07-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Well since you never use 0-60 on the roadcourse, plus you never hit top speed, aceleration/power is king. 270hp vs 300hp, that's worth about 3 seconds on the 2 straights combined. Tough to make that back up in corners.

googe
07-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Well since you never use 0-60 on the roadcourse, plus you never hit top speed, aceleration/power is king. 270hp vs 300hp, that's worth about 3 seconds on the 2 straights combined. Tough to make that back up in corners.

I just thought being better in both categories implied better acceleration. You cant really go on raw HP numbers though. You have to consider weight, gearing, and drivetrain loss.

Just checked numbers from other sources, and they show the STI beating the evo by a hair. It'd be a good race, thats for sure :)

4wheeldrift
07-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by googe

I just thought being better in both categories implied better acceleration. You cant really go on raw HP numbers though. You have to consider weight, gearing, and drivetrain loss.
Yes, and the STi IS faster than Evo, going into and accelerating out of the corners. I don't know where you got your information about the 0-60 time for the Evo, but its quite a bit slower than the STi. 4 tenths 0-60 time and 3 tenths of a second over the quarter mile, to be precise. Thats a big difference for the road course. On a power course with long straights, the STi will easily walk away from the Evo.