PDA

View Full Version : LED Light bulbs?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Mibz
08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
I threw in a few Philips Daylight PAR30s as well as standard bulbs and love them so godamn much. Not sure how I lived with CFLs for so long.

Now I just need to set aside $700 to do the rest of the house.

The PAR30 floods are a very focused beam, but they suit my bonus room because of it.

rage2
08-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Have you tried the new Phillips bulbs?

I have a few first gen bulbs (with the exposed yellow lenses) and have now switched to these. They are much better.
I'll pick up a few tonight to test out.

Some rooms in the house, I prefer the yellow bulbs that mimic incandescent. Having soft white bulbs in some areas of the house feels kinda horry movie/hospital basement creepy.

2 year update - haven't changed a lightbulb since the conversion.

On a related matter, are there any brighter LED bulbs out there yet? Something 100W equivalent?

benyl
08-19-2013, 02:06 PM
I put these in the rooms we use the most:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/95-watt-60w-warm-white-led-light-bulb-1-pack/827146

What I need to do is switch out the pot lights.

sputnik
08-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Anyone currently using LED bulbs in an enclosed light fixture?

Apparently they can overheat and reduce the life of the bulb due to the more sensitive nature of the electronics running the LEDs.

I have some fixtures that aren't exactly sealed or anything but can't really say that I would have great air circulation in them either.

There is a brand called "Switch" that uses liquid cooling for their bulbs that allows them to be used in fully enclosed fixtures, but they are currently around $50/bulb for an A19 60W equivalent.

sputnik
08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by benyl
What I need to do is switch out the pot lights.

Me too.

However at $65 for a PAR38, I would be looking at over $1000 to change out mine.

codetrap
08-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Apparently they can overheat and reduce the life of the bulb due to the more sensitive nature of the electronics running the LEDs.

I have some fixtures that aren't exactly sealed or anything but can't really say that I would have great air circulation in them either.

There is a brand called "Switch" that uses liquid cooling for their bulbs that allows them to be used in fully enclosed fixtures, but they are currently around $50/bulb for an A19 60W equivalent.
Yes, I'm using the cree bulbs in all my fixtures inside. I thought about the heat thing too, so I ran them for an hour and a bit then opened them up and pulled a couple out. They weren't as hot as regular bulbs. Warm, but def not hot.

For the exposed ones like the vanity bulbs, I have the FEIT ones that come in a 3pack from costco for $15. For the PAR30s, I used the costco ones as well with the cover, they have WAY nicer light distribution than the more focused ones and they still look nice.

The entire house is switched over now, and I did see a bit of a drop in the power bill from that. But I'm betting the majority was from changing to a gas dryer.

suntan
08-19-2013, 08:09 PM

There is a brand called "Switch" that uses liquid cooling for their bulbs that allows them to be used in fully enclosed fixtures, but they are currently around $50/bulb for an A19 60W equivalent. I use Luminus BR30 LEDs from Costco. AWESOME bulbs. Instant startup, fantastic dispersion and great light (warm, but just a titch cooler than incandescent).

rage2
08-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Have you tried the new Phillips bulbs?

I have a few first gen bulbs (with the exposed yellow lenses) and have now switched to these. They are much better.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/427518_4.jpg

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/11w-led-household-a19/828844
I tested this last night. Rated at 830 lumens, it put out close to the same amount of light as the 1st gen yellow lens 1100 lumens model at 1/3 of the price. Color is the same, very similar to incandescent bulbs. Awesome bulb for the money!

supe
09-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Looks like Cree wants to lead the way in high end LED's (as well as low end).

http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/166084-cree-tw-led-bulb

The_Penguin
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I have mostly Philips Marathon CFLs, but wanted to try LEDs.
Cree is a very well respected name in LED tech, so they were my first choice.
Now that Home Depot has them, I have a couple of the Cree 9 watt bulbs in my most used, most left on area.
So far really love them. $15.00 ish is still a lot for a bulb, but only 9w and and will likely last a long time.

seer_claw
09-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by rage2

On a related matter, are there any brighter LED bulbs out there yet? Something 100W equivalent?

No quite 100W equivalent but 75W. Only problem is that they are a fair bit bigger than the 60W ones. I think 100W aren't being produced as they may need too large a heat sink to fit into most fixtures (at least that's what I think).

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/17w-led-a19-household/822304

Seth1968
09-18-2013, 06:53 AM

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/tools-toys/roundup-100wattequivalent-leds

ExtraSlow
09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Not sure why, but the pot lights in my kitchen seem to have poor life. Currently running Halogen Sylvania "daylight plus" Par30LN 75W. Love the light that comes out of these, but they aren't inexpensive, and I'm pissed at how often I have to replace them. Paying $60 a bulb doesn't sound that bad if they would last for a few years or longer.

Anyone have suggestions for something in a par30 size that would provide a nice wide beam of bright white light?

ExtraSlow
09-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Been looking a little more. Looks like Home Depot has some Phillips Par30 13W 300k bulbs for $30, which is a good price. Those danged halogens are something like $12 a piece.

Rage, you are anal about color temperature, what temp do you like for a "crisp" look? I don't need a warm color, as my whole house is painted and decorated in warm tones.

codetrap
09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Extraslow.. check out the costco par30's. They have a plastic lense over them and they have really good light. I put them all over my basement and they're great.

rage2
09-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I found out that it's not just color temp, it's color rendering index as well. I haven't figured out what CRI actually means so I've been just buying 1 bulb to test haha. My favorite color by far is the Feit bulbs. It brings out the natural colors of everything. It sucks cuz it's only 40W equivalent I think.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Really need something brighter than a 40W equivalent. Hmm.

I will check out those Costco bulbs.

blitz
09-29-2013, 10:16 PM
I just did our whole house in those new Philips LED's (R20 available at HD) in soft white (3000k). House looks exactly the same as halogens. :thumbsup:

Stealth22
09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
I've got quite a few potlights, all currently running halogens that I'd like to replace with LED's.

The Philips PAR30 LED's at HD are great, but there's one problem. They're the long neck variant, and they don't carry the short neck version, which is what I need. :(

I'm looking at online retailers in the States, but right now, the shipping rates aren't too friendly.

Does anyone know a decent place to get them?

JLau
10-02-2013, 07:33 PM
bought a bunch ($300 worth) of the phillip led bulbs at homedepot few days ago, they were on sale...they seem pretty awesome to me

fajita123
10-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Been looking for some LED's with GU24 bases, but I'm not have any luck. Anyone know where to find some?

ExtraSlow
10-06-2013, 07:09 PM
FML. Bought two E12 (AKA Candelabra base) 2W (equivalent to 25W) LED light bulbs made by FEIT this weekend. Neither of them seems to work in any of my fixtures. I have incandescents that work just fine in those fixtures, but both of the LED bulbs I purchased appear broken. Zero light.

This feels like a stupid question, but is there some trick to these beyond just screwing them in?

Glad these were only $9 each instead of the $25 ones I want for my Par30LN application.

cwillgo
10-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Thought i would jump in on this discussion as my office earlier this year went through a full 220,000sf LED retrofit on their T8 fluorescent bulbs. I have to admit that since the LED bulbs were installed, everything feels cleaner and has a crisper look, but more importantly (for me anyways) the eye strain and headaches i use to have went away (See AC vs DC current). Thought i would take the plunge and do part of my house in LEDs to see if i could replicate some of the positives i noticed at work (along with being "environmentally friendly" and seeing if i could drop my electricity bill down).

Anyhow, i made it to Home Depot and bought some of the Phillips PAR20 LED in their warm white color ($16 each). First thing i noticed was that it was a bit "whiter" than the a typical halogen warm white (i use the Rona 50W halogen PAR20s throughout my house as they are pretty inexpensive), the bright side (pun intended) was that the amount of light coming from the LED PAR20 was significantly more than the halogen. It actually shoots enough light to bounce off my black granite island and reflect back onto the ceiling. The second benefit i need to confirm is the power rating on the LED bulb. Its a 8W bulb vs my current 50W bulb so if my math is correct Im going to save $0.40 an hour by converting all 70 of my halogen bulbs to LED bulbs. Thats a break even of 2800 hours!

Like others on the forum here, i'll probably take the plunge and spend the (gulp) $1100 or so dollars. If anyone knows where to get these Phillips bulbs for cheaper, shoot me a note.

blitz
10-07-2013, 08:01 AM
I went with the Philips R20 bulb instead of the PAR20, I found it gave a warmer and softer light.

supe
10-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by fajita123
Been looking for some LED's with GU24 bases, but I'm not have any luck. Anyone know where to find some?

Don't quote me but I think the GU24 is a dying standard. What I did was I bought the gu24 adapter to E26/E27 off ebay then used standard LED bulbs. No problems so far.

eblend
10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I know LEDs are going to last forever and use very little power, but when comparing them to those curly CFL bulbs, is there really much of a different power usage wise? When I moved into my house about 4 years ago I replaced every single one of my lights in the house with CFL bulbs because LED at the time was just too expensive, but if there is significant power savings going LED perhaps I will invest into a conversion once again.

supe
10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
LED's emit better quality light with no warm up time. They aren't dangerous, CFL's contain mercury, don't underestimate how bad this stuff is for you, especially if you have kids. And yes they do have some power savings, the Cree bulb is only 9 watts vs 13 watts for a CFL equivalent. If you already bought your CFL's it might be tough to justify the costs but if you're still on incandescents, definitely get with it.

cwillgo
10-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I went with the Philips R20 bulb instead of the PAR20, I found it gave a warmer and softer light.
Nice to know. I'll give that a shot and see the results. Thanks!

fajita123
10-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by supe

Don't quote me but I think the GU24 is a dying standard. What I did was I bought the gu24 adapter to E26/E27 off ebay then used standard LED bulbs. No problems so far.

Damn, the house is only four years old! Have you had an issue finding shorter CFL's because of the adapter length?

supe
10-17-2013, 09:05 AM
Walked through a Walmart and the 'Great Value' brand of LED's is out. Very cheap both in price and quality. I pulled one out of the box and it felt like a cheap toy. However, I suppose once it goes into a fixture you wouldn't know about the build quality.

They have both the daylight and warm color temps and have a pretty wide range of fitments. Anyone want to try one out and report back?

http://www.walmart.ca/search/great%20value%20led

Mibz
10-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Isn't $17 for a PAR20 more expensive than Philips @ HD right now?

ExtraSlow
10-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
FML. Bought two E12 (AKA Candelabra base) 2W (equivalent to 25W) LED light bulbs made by FEIT this weekend. Neither of them seems to work in any of my fixtures. I have incandescents that work just fine in those fixtures, but both of the LED bulbs I purchased appear broken. Zero light.

This feels like a stupid question, but is there some trick to these beyond just screwing them in?

Glad these were only $9 each instead of the $25 ones I want for my Par30LN application.
I'm going to quote myself, because it's such a stupid question that I really would love to hear an answer. I just spent $20 on two tiny light bulbs and they don't work.
Anyone, beuller? bueller?

supe
10-17-2013, 10:59 AM

I'm going to quote myself, because it's such a stupid question that I really would love to hear an answer. I just spent $20 on two tiny light bulbs and they don't work.
Anyone, beuller? bueller?

Maybe get them exchanged, they should just work.

Inzane
10-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by eblend
When I moved into my house about 4 years ago I replaced every single one of my lights in the house with CFL bulbs

Really?.... wow. I personally can't stand the quality of lighting those give off.

bigbadboss101
10-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Just bought three of the soft white lights to try out. For the garage I might go with the bright white. I put CFL bright whites in my outdoor fixtures couple years ago but might switch to LED soft white. More 'homey' feel.

vw_rabbit2.5
01-06-2014, 12:49 PM
I've got some potlights in the living room and basement with a dimming switch. Before I go and buy a bunch of LED bulbs, do I need to buy the "dimmable" bulbs? What's the difference between dimmable and regular bulbs?

ExtraSlow
01-06-2014, 01:03 PM
I too have a pile of pot lights, and they take the Par30LN bulbs. Has to be the LN size, and I notice that's pretty rare on the LED bulbs.

Need to be dimmable. For some of them, it's very important they are high CRI and a good clean white, for others, I don't care as much.

Have 25 pot lights, so changing them all is a big investment. I see Ebay has some bulk packs, but selection is poorer.

Alterac
01-06-2014, 01:04 PM
If you want the bulbs to dim, you need dimmable ones.

ExtraSlow
01-06-2014, 01:15 PM
If one of the Mods has a minute, could they edit the title of this thread to remove the (updated 2011) tag? it looks pretty dated.

Mibz
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, there's my mod effort for the month.

benyl
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Anybody been able to find PAR30 Short neck that has 2700K color temp that aren't $60 each?

TYMSMNY
01-06-2014, 02:17 PM
how short of a neck?

Costco has a PAR30 3000k

http://www.costco.ca/Luminus%C2%AE-LED-PAR30-Dimmable-Flood-Light-Bulb.product.100083205.html

speedog
01-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Just saw these today at Home Depot - Philips 11W dimmable LED (6-W equivalent) for $10.98 (link (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/11w-led-household-a19/828844)) and they had plenty in stock (two temperatures - soft white and daylight).

RONA, Lowes or Superstore have nothing that can compare price-wise. Not sure about Walmart as I don't frequent Walmart.

Never the less, Home Depot seems to be getting quite serious about the LED lighting in their retail pricing and I did notice that regular incandescent 100W bulbs were not to be found at the Shawnessy Home Depot today, 60 were almost gone as well and virtually no rough service incandescents as well.

speedog
01-06-2014, 02:30 PM
Anybody been able to find PAR30 Short neck that has 2700K color temp that aren't $60 each?
Cree PAR30 65W equivalent at Home Dept for just under $19 - link (http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Lamps/BR30-Series).

benyl
01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Cree PAR30 65W equivalent at Home Dept for just under $19 - link (http://www.cree.com/Lighting/Products/Indoor/Lamps/BR30-Series).

Yeah, I bought 10 of those until I realized I needed the short neck.

speedog
01-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I bought 10 of those until I realized I needed the short neck.

Try Calgary Lighting Products - link (http://www.calgarylightingproducts.com/products/category/light-bulbs/led/par-shape-led/?orderby=menu_order). Note that they probably won't be cost competitive with Home Depot but they may have what you want.

Brite-Lite (link (http://www.brite-lite.com/)) might be another avenue.

Tik-Tok
01-14-2014, 05:46 PM
edit: disregard

cidley69
01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Looking for the best place to buy LED equivalent of this lightbulb:

Sylvania
Halogen par 16
120v 50w 40•degree

I'd like to do entire house, so buck or two difference per unit will really add up.

Aside from buying them local, is there somewhere to order them online that's cheaper?

ExtraSlow
01-20-2014, 09:25 AM
I have see some bulk-pack auctions on ebay for cases of 12 or more bulbs. Never seems like a screamin deal though.

I'm looking for the LED version of 75W DIMMABLE par30LN in a bright white, wide beam patter. Need about 30 of them. MUST be LN shape, as i have some deep recessed lighting.

Edit: I do see the link to the Home Dept BR30 bulbs above. That's what I'm looking for, just looking for a cheap option if bought in bulk.

supe
01-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I have see some bulk-pack auctions on ebay for cases of 12 or more bulbs. Never seems like a screamin deal though.

I'm looking for the LED version of 75W DIMMABLE par30LN in a bright white, wide beam patter. Need about 30 of them. MUST be LN shape, as i have some deep recessed lighting.

Edit: I do see the link to the Home Dept BR30 bulbs above. That's what I'm looking for, just looking for a cheap option if bought in bulk.

I ordered a few LED bulbs from ebay and they suck. The color is weird and half of mine are dead when LED's are supposed to last forever.

sputnik
01-20-2014, 09:34 AM

If you head south of the border, Costco in the US is a good source.

http://www.costco.com/Feit-Electric-Dimmable-15W-PAR30-LED-Reflector-Light-Bulbs-4-pack.product.100028841.html

Tik-Tok
01-20-2014, 09:41 AM

I ordered a few LED bulbs from ebay and they suck. The color is weird and half of mine are dead when LED's are supposed to last forever.

It's not the LED's themselves that burn out, it's the transformers.

Xtrema
01-20-2014, 10:14 AM

That's why I like Cree's 10 year warranty. And the fact that everyone's 2700K is a bit different and I can return for refund if I don't like it.

speedog
01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Not LED but the NE Princess Auto has 100W rough service incandescents at $1.49 if I remember correctly.

blairtruck
01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
i recently bought 2 of the Par30 luminus (http://www.costco.ca/Luminus%C2%AE-LED-PAR30-Dimmable-Flood-Light-Bulb.product.100083205.html) from Costco online. 22$ each shipped. i find the light beam to be too directional. will work fine in my 2nd bathroom.
then i bought the BR30 Luminis (http://www.costco.ca/.product.100083200.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewPurchaseCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewPurchaseCP) (wide beam) from Costco online for the same 20$ each, for my basement pot lights i only bought 2 at first to make sure i like them. Much nicer then the par30 equivalent. since installing the 2 and comparing them to my rona halogens. i order the rest to finish all the lights. 14 lights =$280 shipped

i also went with Costco cause if they burn out in less then 2 years they are going back

codetrap
01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
blairtruck, I've been using them for 2 years now, no issues at all. One thing that I think nobody considers is vibration. I use the BR30's in the basement, and we have kids stomping around all the time on the main floor. Since vibration kills filaments, I was replacing them regularly... but with the LEDs there's no issue at all.

I'm happy I replaced all the lights in the house with LED. The ONLY downside is the dust buildup is higher now on the light fixtures....

blairtruck
01-20-2014, 11:20 AM
i also bought the adapter for the gu24 base as i could only find bulbs available from USA

blairtruck
02-10-2014, 12:22 PM
just got back from costco and they have the br30 and par30 in stock for $17 a light. i paid 20 shipped from costco.ca of course they weren't in stock last month when i ordered online.

CanmoreOrLess
02-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Finally an LED I am interested in, warranty for life. Taking an inventory of all my lighting needs, order a pile of bulbs and wait for the old ones to burn out over the years. Replace as needed and readjust my will to bequeath these bulbs to my heirs.

"Cree might have some legitimate competition in Switch, a small Silicon Valley-based company founded by a team of engineers in 2007."

REVIEW WITH VIDEO:
http://reviews.cnet.com/smart-home/switch-infinia-led-bulb/4505-9788_7-35834935.html

SWITCH TEARDOWN:
[/url]cLiOh68fCrs

COMPANY WEBSITE:
http://www.switchlightingco.com

WHERE TO BUY in Canada/USA:
http://www.switchlightingco.com/where-to-buy.shtml

AMAZON USA @$13.95 each for a 60 watt replacement:
http://www.amazon.com/SWITCH-Lighting-A260FUS27B1-R-Replacement-Dimmable/dp/B00EZE6SE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392594903&sr=8-1&keywords=switch+bulbs

AMAZON USA the complete Switch collection:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hi?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=SWITCH+Lighting&node=228013

codetrap
02-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
just got back from costco and they have the br30 and par30 in stock for $17 a light. i paid 20 shipped from costco.ca of course they weren't in stock last month when i ordered online. I also have been using those FEIT 3 pack from Costco for around the house, like in bathrooms. I like how they look, and they're only 40W (500lumen) so they're not too blindingly bright.

Though, they are bright enough that when my daughter flips on the lights in the middle of the night I hear that.. "ooooerrrggghh.." There are 5 of them in the fixture. They're also rated for bathrooms.
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/performance/dimmable/a-shape/bpag500dm-5k-led

supe
02-18-2014, 09:10 AM
With LED's being cost efficient especially in the long run I'm wondering why the CoC isn't replacing out all our street lamps. Many cities south of the border have already done city wide swap outs. Cree has a $100 street lamp, hard for me to believe that number, a regular street lamp can't cost much less.

codetrap
02-18-2014, 09:38 AM
With LED's being cost efficient especially in the long run I'm wondering why the CoC isn't replacing out all our street lamps. Many cities south of the border have already done city wide swap outs. Cree has a $100 street lamp, hard for me to believe that number, a regular street lamp can't cost much less. It's not just the bulb. It's the two man crew and equipment to replace them.

supe
02-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
It's not just the bulb. It's the two man crew and equipment to replace them.

Right but this happens once, street lamps burn out all the time which would require the same two man crew.

I also can understand footing the one time cost to replace them all is pretty high, but what about new street lamps. It seems to make sense to move to LED on a go forward basis. I was super disappointed to see that $500k circle lampost get fitted with old style bulbs.

speedog
02-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Right but this happens once, street lamps burn out all the time which would require the same two man crew.

I also can understand footing the one time cost to replace them all is pretty high, but what about new street lamps. It seems to make sense to move to LED on a go forward basis. I was super disappointed to see that $500 circle lampost get fitted with old style bulbs.
The current regular street lamps do not burn out all the time - we've been in our current home for 17+ years and not one street lamp on our block or in the alley has ever burned out.

Now that said, I would say that replacements for burnt out lamps should be LED and I'll stick with that even though it might make for a weird combination on a street where there might be a mix of old and new - the manpower/equipment cost is a factor that needs to be considered in doing wholesale replacements.

supe
02-18-2014, 10:45 AM

I also can understand footing the one time cost to replace them all is pretty high, but what about new street lamps. It seems to make sense to move to LED on a go forward basis. I was super disappointed to see that $500k circle lampost get fitted with old style bulbs.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Changes to infrastruture don't happen at the drop of a hat. They'll need to be tested, then they'll have to go through a procurement bidding process. I'll bet the paperwork alone will take 18 months before a single one can be installed. the City is probably already working on it.

Crazyjoker77
02-18-2014, 07:56 PM
Since this is right up my alley I'm gonna chime in on a few points.

The current regular street lamps do not burn out all the time - we've been in our current home for 17+ years and not one street lamp on our block or in the alley has ever burned out.

Now that said, I would say that replacements for burnt out lamps should be LED and I'll stick with that even though it might make for a weird combination on a street where there might be a mix of old and new - the manpower/equipment cost is a factor that needs to be considered in doing wholesale replacements.

The current sodium lights you currently have only have a lifespan of about 2.5years. The reason why you never see them burnt out is the fact that they usually get changed before they burn out. Most people don't realize that street lights get changed out by the entire circuit or control device(photocell, timer, plc). Once the first bulb burns out the entire circuit gets changed. If not over the next 2months 95% of the others would also burn out since they are all the same age to begin with.

Changing out the fixture when the bulb burns out sounds like a good idea but unfortunately there are a couple bad side effects of doing this. The leds are brighter than there sodium counterparts so going from the different intensities and temperatures really ruins your night vision. As well the strobic effect when driving through the different light temperatures can also cause issues with epileptic people so this is generally not allowed when designing street layouts.

As for LED bulbs, I'm really not for them. Led fixtures are the way to go. Bulbs are designed to be changed but leds don't need to be changed. What is important to LED is thermal management so it is better to have a fixture designed around the LED that has proper heatsinking and where you have room for a proper driver, not some loonie sized circuit board.(that you then screw into a ceramic base that is a very good thermal insulator)

speedog
02-18-2014, 08:17 PM
Well, it's always good to learn stuff and those CoC people who are regularly changing the existing lights - man, they must be a very sneaky bunch.

speedog
03-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Spotted this new Philips ED 60W replacement bulb this morning at Home Depot for $11.97 (might have been $10.97 too) - interesting design, pics and quickie review...

http://itemvideo-dev.microsite.homedepot.com/012414/27E/Philips_SlimStyle_APlus_Content_v3.jpg.jpg

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/12/13/2Z9A8105.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/philips_slimstyle_led_bulb_live_5-820x420.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/philips_slimstyle_led_bulb_live_6-580x446.jpg

innoI4Ey9C8

supe
03-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Alien design, very cool.

danno
03-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Well, it's always good to learn stuff and those CoC people who are regularly changing the existing lights - man, they must be a very sneaky bunch.

it's enmax that change the street lights. i've seen them working at night.
CoC we change the traffic signals. we did the SE this year, they are all led signals going in and have to be changed out every four years due to fade.

jacky4566
03-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by danno

it's enmax that change the street lights. i've seen them working at night.
CoC we change the traffic signals. we did the SE this year, they are all led signals going in and have to be changed out every four years due to fade.

This was covered by beyond a while ago.
http://www.beyond.ca/calgary-led-street-lights/12055.html

speedog
03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Here we go...

Cos
03-04-2014, 07:09 PM

nzwasp
03-06-2014, 09:26 AM
I have a couple of those IKEA led lights installed, so far so good. No idea how good the quality is going to be - I installed them in my bathroom and they seem a lot brighter than the current CFLs

rage2
03-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Finally, 100W equivalent bulbs for the rooms with single bulb light fixtures! $29 at Home Depot.

http://i.imgur.com/D4ptnu0.jpg

Tik-Tok
03-30-2014, 08:38 PM
About time FFS. Why couldn't they have come out with these before winter though. My living room is so damned dark all winter long, but it's getting light out later and later now.

Annoying that they're the dimmable kind though, I'd rather have a cheaper single output one.

Alterac
03-30-2014, 09:02 PM
The Cree version is available also.

http://www.geek.com/news/crees-new-100w-led-bulb-looks-like-a-bulb-and-its-just-20-1587558/

http://www.designingwithleds.com/light-quality-comparisons-philips-cree-100w-equivalent-led-bulbs/

Along with price cuts (USD Figures here, but should translate to CDN drops too)

•40W bulbs – No change
•60W, 2700K – From $12.97 to $9.97
•60W, 5000K – $13.97 to $10.97
•75W, 2700K – $19.97 to $15.97
•75W, 5000K – $20.97 to $16.97
•40W TW – $17.97 to $13.97
•60W TW – $19.97 to $15.97
•65W BR, 2700K – no change
•65W BR, 5000K – $21.97 to $20.97

The problem with Both of these 100w bulbs, is that they are A21 bulbs, and may not fit in smaller fixtures expecting A19.

supe
03-31-2014, 08:13 AM
I have the philips 100 w LED bulbs. They're bright, in my fixture they seem to brighter than the 100 w incandescent bulbs they are replacing. I'm having a bit of a headache as they are going into a fixture with a electronic (zwave) dimmer on the switch. Lots of problems. It works half the time, the other half of the time the dimmer cuts out. If you google it, there are many problems with LED's and dimmers but in some combinations they do work. I'm not an electrician but something about dimmers without a neutral wire will cause problems.

I'm heading to the states at the end of the month and will be picking up some CREE bulbs, hopefully these ones work flawlessly.

GTS4tw
03-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Finally, 100W equivalent bulbs for the rooms with single bulb light fixtures! $29 at Home Depot.

http://i.imgur.com/D4ptnu0.jpg

Awesome. I am slowly switching over, but I have 10 bulbs just in my living room ffs, hopefully the prices keep falling.

ExtraSlow
03-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Very interested to hear the experiences of folks with dimmers. I have 19 bulbs in dimmable fixtures that I want to convert over, but I'm very hesitant to spend all that money and have a problem with the switches. Really don't want to convert to non-dimmable switches either.

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 08:40 AM
Not sure what wire style the dimmer is in my dining room, but it's probably from the 80's and works flawlessly with LED's.

supe
03-31-2014, 08:41 AM
I have to add another comment, these bulbs get hot!!! Like scorching hot both on the base which is expected but also on the top bulb part. I thought LED's are supposed to minimize the heat. On my 60w CREE's the bulb is cool the touch so I was not expecting this. On one occasion when I turned the bulbs off, one did not turn on until after a while. My only guess is it needs a cool down time?? Can someone else confirm?

sputnik
03-31-2014, 08:42 AM
I have the philips 100 w LED bulbs. They're bright, in my fixture they seem to brighter than the 100 w incandescent bulbs they are replacing. I'm having a bit of a headache as they are going into a fixture with a electronic (zwave) dimmer on the switch. Lots of problems. It works half the time, the other half of the time the dimmer cuts out. If you google it, there are many problems with LED's and dimmers but in some combinations they do work. I'm not an electrician but something about dimmers without a neutral wire will cause problems.

I'm heading to the states at the end of the month and will be picking up some CREE bulbs, hopefully these ones work flawlessly.

LED bulbs do not work properly with conventional dimmers as there is a certain amount of voltage required initially to start. For conventional dimmers you need to have the bulb pretty bright at first and then dim it back. LED compatible dimmers pre-load the bulb so that it can start from a dimmed state.

You will probably need to buy new zwave dimmers that are compatible with LED bulbs.

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 08:47 AM
I have to add another comment, these bulbs get hot!!! Like scorching hot both on the base which is expected but also on the top bulb part. I thought LED's are supposed to minimize the heat. On my 60w CREE's the bulb is cool the touch so I was not expecting this. On one occasion when I turned the bulbs off, one did not turn on until after a while. My only guess is it needs a cool down time?? Can someone else confirm?

LED bulbs themselves don't get very hot, but it's the transformer's in the base that do. Stepping down from 120v makes a lot of energy that needs to go somewhere. It's the biggest hurdle in designing them, and why 100w have taken so long to get out on the market. They probably kept frying themselves.

BigDL
03-31-2014, 09:35 AM
My favorite bulb so far is the Phillips 10.5w 3000k non dimmable bulb. I really like the color that comes out of this bulb a lot. I just wish they had the bright white color in their other bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/105w-led-household-a19-2pk/826455

rage2
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by BigDL
My favorite bulb so far is the Phillips 10.5w 3000k non dimmable bulb. I really like the color that comes out of this bulb a lot. I just wish they had the bright white color in their other bulbs.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/105w-led-household-a19-2pk/826455
I gotta give that one a try. I have yet to find anything that matches the Feit color, and all the 2700k soft whites are slightly too warm while the 3000k's are too cool. The Feits were cheap, but only 40W equivalent, and now discontinued. It gave a color that was slightly cooler than incandescent, without going too white so you don't feel like you're in a horror movie hospital. This one at 3000k might actually do the trick if it actually hits 3000k properly!

schocker
03-31-2014, 11:57 AM
I am also interested in switching to LED. I wonder how the Phillips compare to the Cree. I see that the phillips are out of stock though in Calgary, I will have to pick them up when they are in.

I believe costco carries LED now but the brands are weird and I think the wattage is a bit higher also.

JustinMCS
03-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Stop!

Get these! I was looking for high lumen output for 60W bulbs and went with the WalMart brand 10.5W 800 lumens and dimmable in 2700k (warm white.)

These have come out recently and I have bought these. The problem with most LED bulbs is that they only shoot light up and not behind, these phillips answer that problem. They also spaced the LEDs out to help with heat. These are so awesome! Just picked up 4.

"It produces 800 lumens using 10.5W, making it a 60W equivalent model with a 76 lumens-per-watt efficiency. It is rated for 25,000 hours of life, is dimmable, and projects light in an omnidirectional pattern despite the strange shape."

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2013/12/philips-slimstyle-led-photo1.jpg.662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

They are at home depot and come in 2700k and 5000k, they are dimmable, come in 40w or 60w and best of all, 360 degree light. And just under 12 bucks each.

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2014/01/philips-slimstyle-led-lightbulb-photo-01.jpg.662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

sh0ko
03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
^ just stocked up on these as well

macleod trail HD is completely sold out. But the other 2 locations in the NE and 16th have PLenty. these are a really good replacement for mini florescent imo. good 360 degree light

very good purchase Justin MCS

ZeroGravity
03-31-2014, 02:22 PM
These new philip LED bulbs, still have that warning about not to use in enclosed light fixtures, right?

codetrap
03-31-2014, 02:31 PM
The Cree's have a very good light output for direction. They work great in light diffusing light fixtures as well.

JustinMCS
03-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by ZeroGravity
These new philip LED bulbs, still have that warning about not to use in enclosed light fixtures, right?

Yeah, the new phillips slim style say that they are not suitable for use in totally enclosed luminaires.

The walmart brand great value say they are good for use in damn locations, inside or out and CAN be used in totally enclosed luminaires. They are the same price, 12 bucks each, dimmable, 11 watt (on box but on lightbulb it says 10 or 10.5, weird). I put those ones in my totally enclosed outside light and interior totally enclosed locations.

They dont have 360 degree light though.

schocker
03-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Those slim style bulbs look good. Are they available at all stores? The website says online only and that they are backordered :nut:

GTS4tw
03-31-2014, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Those slim style bulbs look good. Are they available at all stores? The website says online only and that they are backordered :nut:

Look up 3 posts

schocker
03-31-2014, 05:15 PM
Ya but I want to check store stock without actually going to the store as I would go to beacon hill :rofl:

Tik-Tok
03-31-2014, 05:30 PM
They had the skinny LED's at Home Depot Macleod yesterday.

schocker
04-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Well I went to homedepot and they showed 43 Daylight SlimStyle and 63 Soft White SlimStyle. They could not locate the daylight anywhere...

They also had these
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/105w-led-household-a19/822307
Which looked pretty good but I am pretty sure I want the Daylight slimstyle. I think the slimstyle would work best as they have light distribution in all directions instead of just halfway up the bulb. I will try again some day.

The_Penguin
04-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I have 3 pendant lights over a granite island that had 3 Cree soft white LED bulbs in them. For fun I swapped the center one with one of the Philips flat ones. Can't really see a difference, looks good.

Now to find something brighter than the 10W LEDs to replace the CFLs in the garage that take 30 seconds to warm up when it's cold.

schocker
04-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Are you guys using soft white or day light bulbs?