PDA

View Full Version : LED Light bulbs?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

blitz
04-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Soft white. The daylight ones seem very hospital like to me.

BigDL
04-02-2014, 11:26 AM
I have daylight for the kitchen pot lights. Where I don't need a dimmer I would probably go with the bright white 3000k non dimmable ones.

JustinMCS
04-02-2014, 12:02 PM
soft white. the daylight is too white and stark for me.

schocker
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Maybe I will pick up the soft white then as I was going to start off in my room with those, maybe day light would be best suited for the kitchen. I supposed over time one could get used to the daylight all over the house, would keep me more alert around the house :rofl:

schocker
04-03-2014, 06:50 PM
I bough 3 slimstyle soft white to try in my bedroom. They replaced 3 60w bulbs and they are significantly brighter. I can see why you guys don't get the daylight, it would be like the sun in your room :rofl:

sputnik
04-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Soft white.

Daylight bulbs look terrible in a house. However I do like them in the garage.

eblend
04-04-2014, 05:29 AM
Being in Japan at the moment I can't check, but can anyone give me the base size for a standard bulb? They have a ton of them here from Phillips, Toshiba, Sanyo ect and saw some for about $7 on sale, so want to pick some up but not sure of the size.

The_Penguin
04-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Being in Japan at the moment I can't check, but can anyone give me the base size for a standard bulb? They have a ton of them here from Phillips, Toshiba, Sanyo ect and saw some for about $7 on sale, so want to pick some up but not sure of the size.

How are they labelled E?
E26 is the standard for North America. It's 26mm or about 1 inch.

OU812
04-05-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Reveal-12-Watt-65W-BR30-Indoor-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-LED12DR30RVL-TP/204473282

Walking through Target last night and picked up 6 of these for $1 each!! :eek: :eek:

ExtraSlow
04-05-2014, 01:29 PM
was it max six? Which target? I need some of these.

OU812
04-05-2014, 01:57 PM
It was Chinook. I got the last 6.

schocker
04-13-2014, 06:42 PM
I went to HD beacon hill and didn't see anymore of the 10.5 w soft white but they had a bunch of the 8 w for $10 for people wanting to try those. Might be a decent combo since the 60w equivalent seem to be pretty bright so maybe on a multi-light fixture the 40w's would be better.

Mitsu3000gt
04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Monoprice sells LED bulbs now, anyone try them?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=122&cp_id=12227&cs_id=1222701&p_id=11741&seq=1&format=2

schocker
04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Those might be worth trying, about $3-4 cheaper than anything her. i might buy a couple the next time I buy cables

supe
04-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Just a warning tho guys, I order from Monoprice quite a bit for work, the shipping charges are getting a bit ridiculous plus the prices are all in american so price wise its becoming less and less favorable.

schocker
04-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by supe
Just a warning tho guys, I order from Monoprice quite a bit for work, the shipping charges are getting a bit ridiculous plus the prices are all in american so price wise its becoming less and less favorable.
If you have below a certain weight though you can get cheap canada post shipping. That is what I usually do. Amazon.ca also has many monoprice things. Way cheaper than anywhere I have found for most cables though like hdmi usb etc. still

sputnik
04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I would pass. I find 3000K still a bit green as a tungsten filament replacement.

I prefer 2700K Philips bulbs.

ExtraSlow
04-16-2014, 01:17 PM
FOr cheap HDMI cables, a lot of dollar stores have started carrying them. By Sister-in-law runs two of those stores, and says her cables are about the same price as monoprice.

Mitsu3000gt
04-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Yeah it totally depends on weight. If you go over a certain amount, it's basically $40 but at least its 1-2 day shipping (+GST via COD)

Amazon.ca sells their $2 cables for about $6, so it doesn't take long to make the shipping worth it. If you are barely past the "cheap" shipping threshold, you're right it's probably cheaper on Amazon. If you have a lot to buy or have 2-3 people on the order, it's usually better on Monoprice.

I ordered a 4-pack of cheap HDMI cables on Amazon (4 for $10, same price as Monoprice) and they were REALLY low quality, they don't fit my components very well either, they almost need to be forced in. The monoprice cables fit much better and are made way better.

flipstah
04-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by OU812
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Reveal-12-Watt-65W-BR30-Indoor-LED-Flood-Light-Bulb-LED12DR30RVL-TP/204473282

Walking through Target last night and picked up 6 of these for $1 each!! :eek: :eek:

WTF.

Are there prong-based LED's for sale locally?

http://www.shadesoflight.com/images/T/BU9901.jpg

The set my parents bought in Asia are duds. POS.

Sugarphreak
04-18-2014, 05:55 PM

speedog
06-06-2014, 09:51 AM
montrealimport.com (http://montrealimport.com/en/15-led-light-for-home) - just posting if anyone's interested, personally haven't had any interaction with this company. Free delivery via Canada Post if order is over $50..

yellowsnow
06-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Stop!

Get these! I was looking for high lumen output for 60W bulbs and went with the WalMart brand 10.5W 800 lumens and dimmable in 2700k (warm white.)

These have come out recently and I have bought these. The problem with most LED bulbs is that they only shoot light up and not behind, these phillips answer that problem. They also spaced the LEDs out to help with heat. These are so awesome! Just picked up 4.

"It produces 800 lumens using 10.5W, making it a 60W equivalent model with a 76 lumens-per-watt efficiency. It is rated for 25,000 hours of life, is dimmable, and projects light in an omnidirectional pattern despite the strange shape."

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2013/12/philips-slimstyle-led-photo1.jpg.662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

They are at home depot and come in 2700k and 5000k, they are dimmable, come in 40w or 60w and best of all, 360 degree light. And just under 12 bucks each.

http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2014/01/philips-slimstyle-led-lightbulb-photo-01.jpg.662x0_q100_crop-scale.jpg

Just picked up a few of these bulbs... they have a really annoying hum with my dimmable switch. After reading more reviews now, it seems like this is a common problem.... back to the store they go :(

supe
06-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Try the Cree bulbs, I think they're superior. To me the light looks a bit better, the bulbs feel more substantial and they use less power.

Stealth22
06-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Try the Cree bulbs, I think they're superior. To me the light looks a bit better, the bulbs feel more substantial and they use less power.
+1...very good buy at $15. I've bought several. They work great and you can't tell the difference between them and incandescent bulbs when they are on. Trust me...my dining room fixure now has 6 Cree LED bulbs, but at one point, it was 50/50 because I only bought a couple to test with initially.

95EG6P
06-20-2014, 09:01 AM
i got the costco led and they are only ok, where do i buy the brand cree led bulbs like at rona

schocker
06-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I am still really happy with the philips that I use in my bedroom. No hum as I don't have a dimmer, but crackle for a little bit once you turn them off. Maybe I will try cree for my TV room.

supe
06-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
i got the costco led and they are only ok, where do i buy the brand cree led bulbs like at rona

Cree is exclusive to Home Depot. When I went to DC a few weeks ago, the 60 watt equivalent Crees were going for only $5!

bigbadboss101
06-20-2014, 10:38 AM
We have Phillips in most of the lights in our house. Might go Cree next although we like the Phillips. Did see the Luminex or whatever at Costco and decided against them. They were low priced though.

yellowsnow
06-20-2014, 10:56 AM

are you talking about these bulbs? http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-a19-95w-soft-white/827146

I'm about to give up on dimmable LEDs/CFLs. they all have an audible hum.

supe
06-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes those ones, I have them on a dimmer and I don't notice a hum. I'm actually using the 100 watt equivalents too.

?????
06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I have some Philips LED's and i notice the hum only when they are dimmed. At full brightness they don't make any noise.

Crazyjoker77
06-20-2014, 04:58 PM
The real answer to not having to change a bulb again is to NOT use a bulb...

LED bulbs aren't as reliable as they make them out to be. Really its just a ingenuous marketing scheme because of how ill-informed general consumers are. Hopefully I can shed some light and save you guys some money.

Through work I've got to do 2 100k pilot projects finding fixtures to replace existing lights which is now a 14.5million dollar retrofit for over 700buildings and 8000 streetlights. It quickly became apparent how inferior LED bulbs are compared to an actuall properly engineered LED fixture. That being said its all industrial/commercial stuff so I don't have nearly as much experience with the cheap contractor grade residential stuff. The bulbs I tried out (which are all high end stuff from silvania, g.e., phillips) have experienced around a 90% failure rate and it has been just over 4years. Almost all driver failures.

The actual diodes themselves are super resilient but unfortunately you cant run them direct drive off 120vac so you need a electronic driver to give them the current regulated DC voltage they need to operate. Electronics unfortunately don't like heat. Thermal management is gonna be the biggest factor in getting the most out of your LED equipment.

The main points why bulbs are inferior:
1. Size limitations - Since your limited to the size of a bulb you end up with much smaller weaker and less effecient components and to compound this you also always end up with much less heatsinking.(heatsinks on fixtures are Huge and usually weight more than a whole bulb themselves)

2.Heat management - Besides having a smaller heatsink there is also the fact most conventional fixtures are enclosed or have very poor airflow. Therefore really reducing the usefulness of that heatsink on that bulb. Where as a Led Fixture has the heatsinking on the outside to get as much airflow as possible.

3. Diffusion losses - Yet another tradeoff you have to choose between efficiency and light pattern. Those Phillips are a good example they have a very nice light pattern but to get that they have to use that odd shape frosted diffuser which is absorbing/reflecting some of the light lessening the amount your getting to the ground. On the flip side you can get those that have exposed diodes which have a high efficiency but you end up with either lots of little hotspots or a really narrow spread of light depending on the design(corncob vs forward facing) Fixtures on the otherhand are designed around the LED and have proper reflectors to shape the beam.

4. Dimmers - This is a lot more technical to explain so I'll stay out of the theory for this point. Dimmers significantly shorten the life of a bulb. Dimmers cause the bulb to generate extra heat due to harmonics which as I outlined before really are the Achilles heel to led bulbs. Fixtures experience this as well but because they have beefier components and better thermal management they handle it better. (dimmers also shorten the life of all HID type bulbs and require a special ballast)

There is a lot more I could say but hopefully this is enough rambling to help someone make a informed decision before wasting money on bulbs.

Here is a picture I snapped at work comparing drivers from a fixture and a bulb. Considering there both having to do the exact same amount of work which do you think will be the most resilient?(As a side note the fixture ballast draws .175a and the bulb driver draws .190 so its more efficient as well as handling heat better)

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/Cmartin87/Mobile%20Uploads/20140620_114316_zpslgw5w1pt.jpg

rage2
06-20-2014, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
The real answer to not having to change a bulb again is to NOT use a bulb...

LED bulbs aren't as reliable as they make them out to be. Really its just a ingenuous marketing scheme because of how ill-informed general consumers are. Hopefully I can shed some light and save you guys some money.
LED bulbs are a stop gap solution until LED technology goes critical mass. Nobody's going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to retrofit their homes with custom LED lighting today.

But, the bulbs are warrantied. The electronics break, they get replaced. It's simple, and beginning to be affordable enough to bring us to large scale adoption. Once we see things adopted, then you'll start seeing new standards and homes being retrofitted with these new standards. I've had 2 bulbs break and replaced since I converted. It's still more reliable than incandescent and in terms of investment, it didn't cost me any more, other than maybe gas to Home Depot.

Can't wait till the day the house runs on DC power with centralized AC/DC conversion to tell you the truth. We're already seeing specialized datacenters (ie Google) run completely on 12/24V. The whole AC/DC conversion for absolutely every piece of electronic is such a waste today, especially when you realize how few things actually runs on AC power.

Crazyjoker77
06-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by rage2

LED bulbs are a stop gap solution until LED technology goes critical mass. Nobody's going to spend tens of thousands of dollars to retrofit their homes with custom LED lighting today.

But, the bulbs are warrantied. The electronics break, they get replaced. It's simple, and beginning to be affordable enough to bring us to large scale adoption. Once we see things adopted, then you'll start seeing new standards and homes being retrofitted with these new standards. I've had 2 bulbs break and replaced since I converted. It's still more reliable than incandescent and in terms of investment, it didn't cost me any more, other than maybe gas to Home Depot.

Can't wait till the day the house runs on DC power with centralized AC/DC conversion to tell you the truth. We're already seeing specialized datacenters (ie Google) run completely on 12/24V. The whole AC/DC conversion for absolutely every piece of electronic is such a waste today, especially when you realize how few things actually runs on AC power.

I agree completely. Even the cree rep I regualary talk to says the exact same thing about the bulbs being a interm solution. The point i'm really trying to get across is that they aren't as robust as they make them out to be and there still are lots of issues with them. there not as simple as a incandescent where you can throw it in any fixture and not worry about it there are other factors you have to consider now. If your throwing these bulbs in an enclosed pot light and running them 20hours a day on a dimmer don't expect them to outlast even a incandescent.

If you stop shopping at home depot and go to a actual electrical/lighting supplier it possible to get led fixtures for a reasonable cost. I would rather buy one 80$ fixture that is actually gonna last the claimed 25years rather than having to buy 8sets of bulbs because there only last 3years. Really if your fine replacing the bulbs you may as well stay with compact florescent at 4$ a bulb instead of LED at 15$+. Not to mention you get increased efficiency with a fixture over a bulb which also help recover the cost marginally faster.

One of the three data centers I'm responsible for actually does run a DC bus system(24v). It is a very slick setup and the amount of cooling load we were able to drop because of it really is a testament to how much energy is wasted in power conversion and allowed us to require fewer racks since we don't have to slap a individual power supply in each rack.

And your right so much stuff if running on DC now (furnaces, washers, dryers, exhaust fans, every single piece of electronics, all chargers) it really would make sense to just run one big inverter off your main panel into a dc panel instead of running a individual power supply for every device. Only reason AC got adopted is because its easy to transform otherwise DC is Superior in most aspects.

rx7_turbo2
06-21-2014, 09:16 AM
I've always found the "War of Currents" fascinating.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Currents

flipstah
06-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Bought a dimmable GE LED bulb @ Target 60W equiv. for $16 and it's alright. The 20W CFL light I had earlier flickers and hums but is way brighter than the GE.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10500419_10152488420399820_3143341864840986389_n.jpg

Tik-Tok
06-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Something I'm very disappointed with right now. I'm retrofitting pot lights into my kitchen, and was hoping to find a full DC setup. Something with ONE transformer, then low voltage wiring to each of the 10 LED pot lights, but it doesn't exist yet. There's quite a few under-cabinet lighting systems with this, but no recessed pot light style.

So instead I'm installing 10 led pot lights, with 10 transformers built in to them, using standard loomex and AC between each one. Such a waste of energy.

rx7_turbo2
06-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Something I'm very disappointed with right now. I'm retrofitting pot lights into my kitchen, and was hoping to find a full DC setup. Something with ONE transformer, then low voltage wiring to each of the 10 LED pot lights, but it doesn't exist yet. There's quite a few under-cabinet lighting systems with this, but no recessed pot light style.

So instead I'm installing 10 led pot lights, with 10 transformers built in to them, using standard loomex and AC between each one. Such a waste of energy. I've installed systems like you wanted, but they were strictly for testing purposes in display areas, to my knowledge the systems I was working with have not made it to market yet.

flipstah
06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
How much juice does that LED bulb need that it requires its own transformer?

Assuming it's 20W per bulb, you can run a 200W transformer.

Cos
06-23-2014, 01:50 PM

flipstah
06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Right, just like a 220V->110V transformer. My mistake.

elmo909
07-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Have any of you that converted the entire house to LED noticed a big difference on power consumption?

rage2
08-01-2014, 06:23 PM
Not sure if this is a pricing error, $5.50 for Philips 60W equivalent LED.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/105w-led-household-a19/822307

rage2
08-03-2014, 08:05 PM
I know supe is pretty opinionated when it comes to his brands, but I decided to give the Cree's a try today to convert my new basement to LEDs.

They have 60W equivalent and 100W equivalent at Home Depot, in both Soft White (2700K) and Daylight (5000K). I did a light pattern and temperature comparison to the Philips and they were identical in terms of light pattern. I did find that the Cree's were slightly warmer than the Philips Soft Whites, both rated at 2700K. It's borderline TOO warm for the Crees. The Daylight 5000K version was dead on in both pattern and color.

I ended up returning a couple of the Cree's because 2700K was too warm, and 5000K was too cool for my tastes. Unfortunately, Cree does not make the 3000K Bright White bulbs. Only Philips has 'em (and not in A19 sizes only in PARXX sizes :thumbsdow), and that's what I ended up going with. Thankfully, the fixtures are hiding the odd shape, and diffusing the flood patterns nice and even. On the 2 bulb fixture where I couldn't get away with the floods, I went with a Cree 60W Daylight and a Philips 60W Soft White, and the combination resulted in the perfect color that I was after at around 4000 color temp. Now why can't people make an inbetween bulb color like that? haha

Anyways, the Cree's are great bulbs for the money, same priced as the Philips, so they're a good option if you want something even warmer than the Philips color temp. supe gets a point back in my books. :)

Anyone baller enough to try these guys yet?

yVlPM3FajuA

$60 for a 60W equivalent bulbs, wifi connected, choose any color from 2000-6500K.

BigDL
08-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Only Philips has 'em (and not in A19 sizes only in PARXX sizes :thumbsdow), and that's what I ended up going with.

Hey Rage, they have them in A19 size but non dimmable. I have them in my office for the 3k bright white.

Edit: found it

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-10-5-Watt-60-Watt-A19-Bright-White-3000K-Household-LED-Light-Bulb-420240/203248902

rage2
08-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Sweet thanks! Going to hoard them before they're gone!

rage2
08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
My Feits that I raved about early on in the thread are slowly dying. Terrible reliability but the color (I estimate at 3300K) is top notch. My dead soldiers: :(

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/521A7FF6-2A05-43AC-B37F-99F4967D8FBA_zpshc7rwbwr.jpg

BigDL
08-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Sweet thanks! Going to hoard them before they're gone!

I have also seen them at London Drugs. Best part if you don't need them to dim they are a bit cheaper then the other bulbs.

suntan
08-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BigDL

Hey Rage, they have them in A19 size but non dimmable. I have them in my office for the 3k bright white.

Edit: found it

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-10-5-Watt-60-Watt-A19-Bright-White-3000K-Household-LED-Light-Bulb-420240/203248902 Not a fan of these. I have four and they don't provide omnidirectional light.

The Philips A-line ones are far better for light direction but they hum even on regular switches.

rage2
08-05-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't mind the directional of the lighting, they sit in a fixture anyways and the lighting is diffused fairly evenly.

I got super horny over flood lights this weekend. Redid my kitchen, garage and my part of my office with PAR20 Philips. The garage looks like a showroom now, just need to paint the ugly walls and add some flooring. The cars looks so pretty under the new lights!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/865B1670-0B01-4E54-AEBC-AC0F9570A42E_zpsnlwn72os.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the 3000k PAR20 Philips Bright Whites are slightly warmer than the 3000k Feits. Still waiting on someone to make some ~3300k LEDs.

Prelude_dude
08-05-2014, 11:41 AM
have you guys tried the new philips Slim light lights?
advertising that they have 360 light distribution and look pretty snazzy as well.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-105w-a-line-slim-style-daylight-case-of-4-bulbs/864403

TIA

edit: sorry just read the other pages. has anyone tried these on non-dimmable switches, do they still hum?

Thanks again

rage2
08-05-2014, 11:44 AM
I have. They look good.

Inzane
08-05-2014, 12:35 PM
For anyone using these, how are they holding up for you?

http://www.searchgi.com/admin/assets//350227-philips_led.jpg

I only have one but I wished I'd bought more. I was waiting for the price to drop but they seem to be no longer available.

The one I have is in a room that is infrequently used so its not a good test of its longevity.

suntan
08-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude
have you guys tried the new philips Slim light lights?
advertising that they have 360 light distribution and look pretty snazzy as well.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-105w-a-line-slim-style-daylight-case-of-4-bulbs/864403

TIA

edit: sorry just read the other pages. has anyone tried these on non-dimmable switches, do they still hum?

Thanks again I have one, I'll try to check tonight if it hums on a regular switch.

suntan
08-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

http://www.searchgi.com/admin/assets//350227-philips_led.jpg

I only have one but I wished I'd bought more. I was waiting for the price to drop but they seem to be no longer available.

The one I have is in a room that is infrequently used so its not a good test of its longevity. I'm going to replace mine. The color temp totally screwed up a few weeks ago - it emits orange light now.

rage2
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

The one I have is in a room that is infrequently used so its not a good test of its longevity.
I've got one broken one, but that's from dropping it onto concrete during basement renos, so it doesn't count. All the other ones in the house have been flawless.

These bulbs are discontinued now, and were replaced with these guys @ $14:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-11w-a-line-soft-white/828844

Those are being discontinued as well but stock shows they're still readily available, and they're being replaced with these guys @ $12:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-105w-a-line-slimstyle-soft-white/861191

The color is the same with all 3 bulbs. I actually had all 3 lit up this weekend during testing. I have mostly the first gen ones you posted in my house, with a handful of the 2nd gen $14 ones and 1 of the cheapest 3rd gen.

I really like the 2nd gen ones when used in an open fixture, such as storage rooms and walk in closets. Its the most aesthetically pleasing model.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Bought three of the FEIT Performance LED 15W PAR30 Natural Daylight bulbs (listed as 5000K) from Lowes yesterday to try out in my kitchen potlights. I have had Halogen Sylvania "daylight Plus" 75W Par30LN's (supposed to be 2950K) in there, which have a nice color, but aren't cheap, and just don't seem to last for me.

For sure, these are cooler than the already slightly cool color of the Halogens. My kitchen is all done in darker/warmer tones, so this might be a nice change.

The real test will be to see if my wife complains about them. They were not quite twice what I have been paying for the sylvanias, so if we like the look, I'm hopeful they will last well and I can stop changing them.

Also picked up a couple of the FEIT 9.5W 5000K bulbs as well for the couple of fixtures that never seem to be turned off.

Thomas Gabriel
08-06-2014, 08:11 AM

Anyone baller enough to try these guys yet?

yVlPM3FajuA

$60 for a 60W equivalent bulbs, wifi connected, choose any color from 2000-6500K.

I got 5 of them. Positives are I like how they are on when I get home and wake up in the morning. And how I have them turn to a night color. Negative is that they aren't bright enough. Good for mood lighting but when I need to do work that requires a lot of light they don't cut it.

suntan
08-06-2014, 09:46 AM
Here's CR's latest ratings:

I am very curious about the Samsung bulb.

http://i.imgur.com/QzUxZwh.png

Mitsu3000gt
08-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Picked up one of these to try out in my bedside reading lamp, I thought LED would be nice since they barely give off any heat and I need my room to be as cold as possible:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/led-105w-a-line-slimstyle-soft-white/861191

Love it. Super bright, nice and cool (to the touch). The Soft White is great for most areas. They are cheap enough I think I will replace all my lights with those.

Anyone know if they make a 100W equivalent version? I have some tri-light lamps I'd like to use them with, which I assume they work with since most are dimmable.

The_Penguin
08-13-2014, 05:14 PM
I haven't seen a Philips flat 100w equivalent yet. Cree makes a nice 100w equiv. A bit pricey here in Canada still.

Also have not seen a tri-light LED bulb yet.
Tri-light are not dimmable, but have 2 separate filaments and 2 different contacts on the base.
I have read where someone put a Philips LED bulb in a tri-light fixture and it "blowed up real good" as the low filament contact of the socket shorted to the base.

supe
08-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Is tri-light and 3 way the same thing? Cree recently announced that they make them, but not here in Canada yet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-30-60-100W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-3-Way-A21-LED-Light-Bulb-BA21-16027OMF-12WE26-1U100/205226208

The_Penguin
08-13-2014, 05:30 PM
Is tri-light and 3 way the same thing? Cree recently announced that they make them, but not here in Canada yet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-30-60-100W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700K-3-Way-A21-LED-Light-Bulb-BA21-16027OMF-12WE26-1U100/205226208

Yes. Good to know, should hit Canada eventually.

Alterac
08-13-2014, 07:36 PM
They also released a fluorescent T8 replacement tubes in the USA, so only a bit of time before they hit Canada.

these beasts will be the Perfect Garage light.. No slow cold starts, and no energy wasting.

suntan
08-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
I haven't seen a Philips flat 100w equivalent yet. Cree makes a nice 100w equiv. A bit pricey here in Canada still.

Also have not seen a tri-light LED bulb yet.
Tri-light are not dimmable, but have 2 separate filaments and 2 different contacts on the base.
I have read where someone put a Philips LED bulb in a tri-light fixture and it "blowed up real good" as the low filament contact of the socket shorted to the base. Eh? I have LEDs in a tri-light lamp. They work fine.

The_Penguin
08-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Depends on the size of the base I guess.
This is a conventional tri-light.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/3Way_Bulb_Contacts.jpg

suntan
08-14-2014, 07:14 AM
You do know you can put a regular bulb in a tri-light and they'll work just fine, yes?

The_Penguin
08-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by suntan
You do know you can put a regular bulb in a tri-light and they'll work just fine, yes?

Yes, they work fine as a regular bulb, but if the threaded part of the base is a bit large like in the case I mentioned a few posts back, and it contacts the low hot contact, ZAP!

Mitsu3000gt
08-25-2014, 10:23 AM
I bought a few more Phillips Soft White bulbs (the flat ones)...does anyone notice they make an occasional clicking noise after you turn them off? Both of mine do it (one in a bedside lamp, one in a regular light hosing in my den). I don't care about the noise, but I want to make sure they aren't going to be a hazard.

The clicking sounds exactly like an electric fence clicking, for those of you who have heard that. It's not loud, and happens a few times after I turn them off.

speedog
08-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Starting to convert as compact fluorescents burn out - did the dining room a few weeks ago with Cree 60W LED's - am quite happy with the and no buzzing/clicking. Picked them up for $11.97 at Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/21/2134631d-e687-4185-86c0-3c854ee176d3_400.jpg

Have also had Cree 65W floods installed in an outside motion fixture since early January and they're still going 100% - by this time I would've replaced at least one if not two halogens ion the same fixture due to vibration issues.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2014, 11:25 AM
Interesting discussion of LED lighting technology and pricing from an economist standpoint.

http://arcfinancial.com/research/energy-charts/led-lights-fire-for-a-third-time

Originally posted by ARC Energy Research - Aug 19, 2014.
LED Lights: Fire For a Third Time August 19, 2014

Here is an energy trend that is starting to light up: Light emitting diodes (LEDs) are gaining momentum to displace Edison’s 130 year-old bulb and filament paradigm.

In fact, the pattern of innovation for LEDs shows remarkable parallels to light bulbs over a century ago. Our feature chart this week shows the evolution of the LED cost curve, which is looking a lot like a flash back.

“When Edison… snatched up the spark of Prometheus in his little pear-shaped glass bulb, it meant that fire had been discovered for the second time, that mankind had been delivered again from the curse of the night,” noted the famous historian Emil Ludwig.

Many millennia ago humans learned to harness flames for heat and light. Fireplaces, torches, lamps and lanterns using different fuels evolved over time. In the 1880s, Edison and other competitors commercialized the first glowing filaments in glass bulbs. New energy systems and infrastructure based on electricity were established. By the early-20th century the era of using open flames for light was about to be extinguished.

Another hundred years have passed. Now we ask: Will silicon-based LEDs penetrate homes, factories and streetlights like light bulbs? Are we witnessing the birth of the third era of lighting in human history? If yes, then upstream purveyors of energy for power generation should take note. About 12% of electrical power goes to lighting up our society, so major changes at the switch and socket are consequential right up the supply line to the coal pit, gas well or even wind turbine.
August 19, 2014
The adoption of electric light bulbs took off around 1907, after many parallel improvements, including quality, efficiency, reliability, ease-of-use and availability of supporting infrastructure. As with most product introductions, sales momentum came when the price to consumers fell below the competitive threshold of the incumbents. In other words, when light bulbs became cheaper to operate than most coal gas lamps, kerosene lanterns and even candles.

Edison’s seminal, 45-hour light bulb experiment was on October 21st, 1879. Yet it took 30 years before the commercial prospects for displacing incumbents began to look brighter. On a parallel time scale, shifted forward by a century, LEDs were first commercially demonstrated in the early 1970s. Pulsar came out with the first LED watch with iconic red dotted lights in 1972. Once again it took 30 years, into the early 2000s, before white LEDs for general lighting were starting to demonstrate commercial promise. Like Edison’s experience in 1879, high cost, light quality, reliability and even infrastructure (LEDs run on low voltage) were the issues that this new type of lighting had to overcome.

Figure 1 shows the price of 60W light bulbs starting in 1907, the year after compelling tungsten filaments began being introduced. Over the span of 30 years, costs dropped from $1.75 per 60W bulb to $0.06. The logarithmic curve is classic and mimicked by the price of a 60W equivalent LED light since 2005 (overlaid on Figure 1). Back then, only a diehard early adopter would consider paying $189.82 to unscrew a 50 cent light bulb in favour of an LED. But today, hardware stores are peddling the new lights with promotions at lower and lower prices. The US Energy Information Agency projects the LED cost curve 20 years out, which we have displayed in our feature chart (Figure 1).

Three compelling features provide further incentive to buy: longevity, cosmetics (think Christmas lights and accents), and efficiency. The latter is most consequential to power generators, because an LED can deliver the same amount of light as an incandescent using only one-sixth the amount of electricity.

But that’s not all.

Because of the gross inefficiency of electrical power generation, a unit of electricity saved at the consuming end cascades into a multiple units of energy saved at the source. In other words, there is an amplified ‘demand destruction’ of primary energy sources every time somebody swaps a light bulb with an LED equivalent. This is especially consequential to inefficient, flame-fired coal and natural gas plants that are on average 29% and 42% efficient in converting their molecules into electricity.

This trend is essential to watch carefully. Notionally, accelerating adoption of LED lights should contribute to the trend of slowing growth of electrical power consumption in developed countries. In turn, the cascading nature efficiency gains will impact suppliers of coal and natural gas harder.

But there is a caveat: If this third generation of lighting really catches fire, history teaches us that consumers will probably buy more LEDs than the incandescent bulbs they replace. Since more lights consume more power, this potential "Rebound Effect" could burn up all of the LED efficiency gains. Within a few years, we will start to see how the LED adoption trends come to light.

The_Penguin
08-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Starting to convert as compact fluorescents burn out - did the dining room a few weeks ago with Cree 60W LED's - am quite happy with the and no buzzing/clicking. Picked them up for $11.97 at Home Depot...

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/21/2134631d-e687-4185-86c0-3c854ee176d3_400.jpg

Have also had Cree 65W floods installed in an outside motion fixture since early January and they're still going 100% - by this time I would've replaced at least one if not two halogens ion the same fixture due to vibration issues.

Love those. Shame the 100w equivs are so pricey. They should come down eventually.

Finally found some reasonably priced BR30 LED bulbs, and replaced the 2 CFLs in our ensuite. They were ok, but took 30 seconds to warm up.

ExtraSlow
09-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Monoprice has their:
270° 10-Watt (60W Equivalent) A 19 LED Bulb, 810 Lumens, Cool/ Daylight (6000K) - Non-Dimmable (6-Pack)
for $42, or $7 each, assuming you are either in the USA, or heading down for something so you don't have to pay the high shipping to Canada.

No warranty, but at that price, that's probably not a big deal.

I think if I could get daylight 60W equivalent bulbs for $5, I'd convert the whole house. I've decided I really like the daylight colour of our current LED's n the kitchen. Plus, since I'm paying to run AC for half the year, it seems like it makes sense to get bulbs that put out less heat.

codetrap
09-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

Yes. Good to know, should hit Canada eventually. I saw them at Home Depot last week.

mr2mike
09-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Monoprice shipping isn't too much to Canada for these bulbs.

ExtraSlow
09-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Eh? Just looked, and it's $11 bucks shipping on $42 worth of bulbs. That's not super. I added one thing that I've been meaning to pick up, and it got too large for a "small packet" price, and was $33 bucks shipping.

redx2nv
09-28-2014, 08:44 AM
rona had some 60 watt on clearance for $5 each(YMMV)

schocker
09-28-2014, 09:12 AM
The slimstyle philips are on sale at homedepot for $10 until whenever, $2 off

nobb
09-28-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv
rona had some 60 watt on clearance for $5 each(YMMV)

Any details, model #, and location?

schocker
12-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Dumb question. My garage has two really high up 60w bulbs for now. Can I use the 100w equivalent bulbs to replace these to put some more light into the garage? Cree 18w daylight is what I am looking at. I know the bulb is bigger but that doesn't matter as there is no enclosure.

Tik-Tok
12-31-2014, 08:00 PM
Yes. The Cree 100w are awesome, I put them in enclosed fixtures with no problems. The transformer still doesn't get near as hot as a regular 100w bulb.

schocker
12-31-2014, 08:24 PM
Awesome thanks. Finally I will be able to work in the garage at night :D

Darell_n
12-31-2014, 09:54 PM
I've been looking to replace six 8ft T12 lamps, in my garage, with LED and finally bit the bullet. Total cost was around $100 for five single lamp $1 fixtures with Y splitters and the crappy $9 Phillips flat 60W equivalent bulbs. Re-used an old track light stuffed with more of the same LED bulbs for around 20,000 total lumens of instant light in a cold garage. Looks goofy, but man I hated those old T12s. I almost need sunglasses in there now. (the other 1/2 of the garage has T12 HOs and several sealed T5 fixtures)

cidley69
01-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Anyone know local source for par 16, E26 led bulbs?

Cos
01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

cidley69
01-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Deerfoot Meadows Costco is selling Luminous GU10 LED bulbs for $7.50

Dimmable and 3000k

JustinMCS
01-09-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm having issues with the dimmable LEDs "buzzing" on a dimmer switch even at full brightness. The Slimline LED phillips are the worst, their more expensive 100 watt bulbs still do it (25 bucks ea!) and the best ones I've used are the Great Value (walmart 60 watt replacements.)

Can you believe that? :dunno:

cidley69
01-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Anyone tried the Costco Luminus GU10 LEDs and have review?

Alterac
01-09-2015, 11:55 AM
You need a newer/specific models of Dimmers to do it without Buzzing.

Each bulb, also has a recommended list of switches
- Cree for example: http://creebulb.com/Content/downloads/product_info/cree_dimmer_compatibility.pdf

Each switch, has a list of bulbs it supports.

Switch like this one:
Lutron Electronics DVWCL-153PH-WH

Its stupid expensive, ~$50 ea

codetrap
01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
Anyone tried the Costco Luminus GU10 LEDs and have review? I've had them for a year now and I'm happy.

black_2.5RS
01-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Yes. The Cree 100w are awesome, I put them in enclosed fixtures with no problems. The transformer still doesn't get near as hot as a regular 100w bulb.

I put two of these bulbs in to replace the standard 60w bulbs we got with the house. Night and day difference. Before there was barely enough light to change a tire, now (while still some dark spots due to bad placement of the bulbs in the garage) - it's night into day.

ee2k
01-16-2015, 11:34 AM
So went to look at new light bulbs to jump on this bandwagon. Bought my place with coil bulbs all over the place. Being fancy and all I am undertaking dimmers in certain spots, and decided to look at new bulbs since the coils are non-dimmable.

But seriously, $9 for an LED bulb at Home Depot? And it's not even dimmable. Same at Costco, well, cheaper but ... Dimmable ones are even more expensive!

I picked up 4-packs of incandescents from Home Depot for $3 each, yielding a dozen for the price of one LED. Maybe I should buy a few more dozens and stash them.

Can anyone explain to me why I should go with LED or even CFLs? Unless one is leaving their lights on forever (which no one here does,) what's the main driver for going with LEDs beyond the cool and or brightness/reach factor? Throw in calculations and numbers to show me how advantageous it is to do so.

rage2
01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by ee2k
So went to look at new light bulbs to jump on this bandwagon. Bought my place with coil bulbs all over the place. Being fancy and all I am undertaking dimmers in certain spots, and decided to look at new bulbs since the coils are non-dimmable.

But seriously, $9 for an LED bulb at Home Depot? And it's not even dimmable. Same at Costco, well, cheaper but ... Dimmable ones are even more expensive!

I picked up 4-packs of incandescents from Home Depot for $3 each, yielding a dozen for the price of one LED. Maybe I should buy a few more dozens and stash them.

Can anyone explain to me why I should go with LED or even CFLs? Unless one is leaving their lights on forever (which no one here does,) what's the main driver for going with LEDs beyond the cool and or brightness/reach factor? Throw in calculations and numbers to show me how advantageous it is to do so.
See my first post:

they last forever, and I'm lazy when it comes to changing bulbs.
:)

ExtraSlow
01-16-2015, 11:42 AM
I do agree that energy efficiency often isn't cost effective.

One thing that I like LED's for is that they produce less heat, and in my current house, I'm running the AC every afternoon for about 150 days a year. So saving a few cents on the energy used by the bulbs is compounded.

Some people like the light they put out, some like to have the latest-and-greatest, and some really dislike changing bulbs.

I have some in my kitchen that were about $23/bulb, and I'm happy with those, but I haven't made a wholesale change yet.

blitz
01-16-2015, 11:54 AM
I have about 30 pot lights on my main floor and it seemed I was changing a blub every 2nd week. Went LED about a year ago and haven't changed one since!

Laziness FTW!

speedog
01-16-2015, 12:01 PM
We've been converting to LED from compact fluorescent and incandescent as the older bulbs burn out - yeah, the $9-10 for a 60W LED replacement looks steep but they use a tenth of the electricity that an incandescent uses and about half of what a compact fluorescent does. The LED instant-on light is nice compared to compact fluorescents and the fact that I'm not replacing bulbs near as often is a savings as well.

Better yet, the Cree 65W equivalent LED BR30 floods we put in about 18 months ago in an outside wall mounted motion activated fixture have been great - before that we were replacing bulbs every 4-5 months because of vibration issues and these LED's have been faultless in their ability to work 100% in that particular situation. -25C temperatures don't affect them and the instant light is great too.

One has to look beyond just bulb price when making comparisons as there are a few other factors one has to consider.

mr2mike
01-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Running the economics in the led bulbs. It's not going to pay out for 8yrs when I last did my estimate. There calculators online to do this if you want.
Really it's the beyond baller-ship that these guys are after. ;)

ExtraSlow
01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
If I want to look like a baller, I order double meat on my Big Mac (tm).

suntan
01-16-2015, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If I want to look like a baller, I order double meat on my Big Mac (tm). Fuck, you are a baller. I still wear tube socks.