PDA

View Full Version : AUDI DIY'ers: where to get oil filter

gmoney82
07-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I own an 99 Audi A4 1.8T and have begun to change my own oil. For all you audi guys that also change their own oil/oil filters, where do u get good quality oil filters? I'm having crappy luck gettin the right ones from places like NAPA, partsource so i'm not gonna even bother calling those places (each location is giving me a difference size/part#).

I'm going to the bite the bullet this time and get the $15 OEM one from VW Northland that is compatible with the B5 Passat 1.8T's and the B5 Audi A4 1.8t's. No idea what brand it is...part guy says its "VW brand"

I've heard that Mann/Mahle and Bosch make the best quality Audi/VW spec oil filters...but where to buy? and how much should i expect to pay?

bennyhanna
07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
It should only be $10ish at the VW dealership...

I cant remember the part # off the top of my head, but there are 2 different ones

One large and one regular

nismodrifter
07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Just stick with OEM, they are the cheapest + best.

sjaswal
07-21-2007, 05:22 PM
costco has syntec which meets vw505.00
6l for $36, NE location ony had 10w30 thoght, NW loc. has more selection.

gmoney82
07-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by bennyhanna
It should only be $10ish at the VW dealership...

I cant remember the part # off the top of my head, but there are 2 different ones

One large and one regular

Im pretty sure i got the larger one. Wide as a nalgene bottle and just under 6 inches or so..it was for $16 bucks?

Just lookin to see if there's an cheaper and (better) alternative than going the stealership route

thanks for the help so far!

bennyhanna
07-22-2007, 09:36 AM
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237991

Is a great read!

I personally use

Castrol Syntec 5W-40
and
the large /VW oil filter Part #068 115 561B

For you 1.8T 1 4 litre jug should be enough, it should run you approx $30 ish

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915470&contentId=6006933
Castrol SAE 5W-40:
Engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, exceeding VW 502 00 and 505 00. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Porsche approved and also exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4, MB 229.3, MB 229.1, BMW LL-98. Meets the engine protection requirements of Volvo, BMW, Mercedes Benz and ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils.

gmoney82
07-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Cool...I've always used the Castrol 5w40... The main point of this thread was to ask about the oil filter tho.!

but deff castrol 5w40 FTW

Mazstyle
07-22-2007, 10:37 AM
if you go to the dealership, you can usually get a deal from the parts guy if you buy a case of filters (6).

Gondi Stylez
07-23-2007, 12:01 AM
I use the OEM oil filter on my B6 because from what I've read they are the better. Plus $15 is no big deal IMO!

EK 2.0
07-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

Plus $15 is no big deal IMO!

BALLIN!!!!

Euro_Trash
07-23-2007, 07:44 AM
www.concept1.ca

gmoney82
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
So anyways this is my experience this past Sat regarding the oil filter:

Funny how NAPA tries to cut down other auto parts/service businesses about their lack of knowledge and sh*tty parts! I thought i could depend on their auto expertise because I needed an oil filter last minute pretty badly cause my car was on jacks.

So the guy at NAPA says that the one I pulled out of my 1.8T was the wrong sized filter. I got it done previously at Minute Lube ( and although I've heard tons of bad things about them, no bad experience on my end yet), he said those guys didnt know what they were doing. So he grabs a NAPA gold oil filter and says its the right one for sure. I'm already suspicious because the size of the NAPA one is about a third of the one I pulled out to replace! I end up buying it anyways just because I was in rush.

On the way home i wasnt satisfied with my dinky new oil filter so I decide to take a quick detour to Northland VW and inquire about a filter there. The parts guy gives me the $16 filter that is used with quite a few 1.8t's across the VW/Audi lines. This filter is pretty humongous as described in my earlier posts and is similar to what I pulled out.

Long story short, I ended up using the VW dealership one. I"m going to gladly return the NAPA one. After doing quite a bit of research afterwards on the Audi/VW forums, the filters that are used for Audi/VW's are quite big - AND NAPA didnt know JACK!

infected
07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
We had a client come in for an oil change the other day who supplied his own $30 VW filter from NAPA. Seemed a little steep for a spin-on... I'll let him know it's cheaper from VW next time. :thumbsup:

NoFlo
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
I use the OEM oil filter on my B6 because from what I've read they are the better. Plus $15 is no big deal IMO!

so where do you get ur oem filters? r them oem a4 filters?
bc at $15 thats a good price...i think glenmore audi charges $20+ the last time i called.

thanks!

gmoney82
07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Some of the Audi/VW parts are identical. For my A4 I always do a thorough search on the internet and call the VW dealership before even trying the Audi stealership route. 99% of the time if both VW/Audi sell the same part its quite a bit cheaper at VW for some reason.

Gondi Stylez
07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by NoFlo

so where do you get ur oem filters? r them oem a4 filters?
bc at $15 thats a good price...i think glenmore audi charges $20+ the last time i called.

thanks!

Originally posted by gmoney82
Some of the Audi/VW parts are identical. For my A4 I always do a thorough search on the internet and call the VW dealership before even trying the Audi stealership route. 99% of the time if both VW/Audi sell the same part its quite a bit cheaper at VW for some reason.

Yep! That is what I do too. Last tune up my filter cost me $16.xx I think. Plus Glenmore Audi AKA FUCKIN ASSHOLES are just that! Avoid at all costs!

PS - George at TuneDub = DA SHIZ!