PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Ford Explorer Sport - Smart Buy?

jcirico
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm looking for some input on a potential near future vehicle purchase. Here's what I'm looking to buy:

2002 Ford Explorer Sport - V6 4.0L
Auto 4x4
40,000 Miles (61,000Km, Canadian here)
Power everything
Moonroof
A/C
6 Disc CD Changer
New brakes

It appears to be in excellent physical condition, with only a few minor paint scratches. I took it for a thorough 2 hour test drive and couldn't find much of anything displeasing. I noticed it wasn't exactly a smooth ride though, which I suppose is typical of a vehicle built on a truck frame though.

I'm quite interested in it. I've heard many mixed opinions about the Explorers though, thus I'm a bit hesitant. Some say it's only the older ones (transmission problems) while some say 2002 and newer have fixed a lot of issues. On the other hand, this one, a Sport edition is a fair bit different than the normal explorer anyways. Some just say stay away from Ford altogether without backing that opinion without any real experiences. Some even say Ford is going bankrupt and to avoid them like the plague???

And then some tell me there's so many problems with Explorers, because they're such a common vehicle, and obviously you'll hear more about complaints than compliments; which is understandable. And then there's the roll over thing, but then that was apparently just because of bad tires and publicity. What's your opinion? I'm looking for as much reliable input on Ford Explorers varying between regular, sports models and different years. I am seriously considering this vehicle. I just feel conflicted after hearing so many bad stories, and yet I see so many Explorers on the road. Sport Vs Regular Explorer, whats your opinion on that too? Are the Sports less problematic than the regular Explorers?

What sort of common mechanical issues should I be aware of?

Anything else I should be considering in this class and price range? How about Ford Escapes?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Masked Bandit
07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
We have a close friend of the family that has had an Escape and an Explorer. Let's just say that if either of the vehicles were not under warranty, she would be bankrupt (or riding the bus). I don't know if she was just really unlucky and got two lemons in a row or if this normal. I guess in the end it depends what kind of deal you are going to get on the purchase price. For the right money, I would drive just about anything.

dr_jared88
07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
I think its like any company. They have their bad cars. I have had friends that have had brand new civics that would have made them bankrupt if they weren't under warranty as well. I can speak of the newer explorers but I drive one from the older generation and I havent had a problem. They are rougher rides compared to say a pathfinder, but also a fair bit cheaper. I think they are great vehicles for someone that has someone like a boat to pull and would rather have the passenger space verse the truck box. I have enjoyed mine since the day I bought it

jonnycat
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Explorer Sports are built off the the Ranger chassis and are completely different animals than the standard Explorer (02' and up)and Sport Trac.

THe majority of Sports will be very reliable. The big changes from 02 on are on the regular explorer, with the addition of IRS, not so in the sport.

The worst thing I know oif with the sports, are bouncy ride and odd stance, which leaves the rear end looking more squat than the front. Could be a rear suspension component that wears out prematurely.

It all depends on price.

The escapes with the 3.0L can have notoriously bad fuel mileage, (I've heard as low as 14mpg) but ride much better than an explorer sport. As with my 2.5L Duratec in my old cougar, the 3.0 Duratec's also can eat oil, bend a rod and throw it through the block. It cost me $8000 for the whole long block in the cougar. No warranties or TSB on these occurances, it may just happen to 1% of the motors, but it sucks when it's yours.

Some escapes get normal fuel mileage, and run like champs.

Hamann
07-23-2007, 10:36 PM
My family has owned mostly Fords, none on warrenty and we have never had any major issues, had to do the front ball joints on my explorer last month but its a 94 and has 320KM on it, still runs beautifully, no problems with drivetrain at all.

Pretty much with any vehicle dont bag it, do oil changes, and general maintinence and you'll be fine.

But if your really hesitant you can always use Fords bad rep for quality to try and barter the price down ;)

jcirico
07-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Can anybody provide me with a detailed schedule of when maintenance should be done on this vehicle?

Example, every so many miles/kilometers, when should the coolant, transmission fluids be flushed?

Speaking of which, one thing I noticed mechanically about this Sport was the colour of the coolant in the overflow reservoir. It was somewhat yellow, almost a little brown. Instinct would tell me this is very bad. But, I've been told this is normal as it's just extended life fluid. At 61,000KM on a 2002, should I be suspectful of a coolant/oil leak issue? Or is this colour common?

Thanks in advance guys. You've been very helpful so far.

jcirico
07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
*Bump*

Can anybody point me in a direction regarding the Explorer Sport maintenance schedule? I have the salesman responding to my question of when the coolant was last changed that, the KMs are too low for a change yet and that it isn't due until 80,000. It sounds like they'll due a flush for me anyways though, but I'd still like to know what the schedule is. How about transmission flushes?

Graham_A_M
07-24-2007, 09:13 PM
^Talk to the service manager at a Ford dealership, and he'll tell you what commonly goes wrong with these things, and what can be done to remidiate it before it happens. :thumbsup:

Mangina
07-25-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by jcirico
*Bump*

Can anybody point me in a direction regarding the Explorer Sport maintenance schedule? I have the salesman responding to my question of when the coolant was last changed that, the KMs are too low for a change yet and that it isn't due until 80,000. It sounds like they'll due a flush for me anyways though, but I'd still like to know what the schedule is. How about transmission flushes?

Coolant should be flushed every 2 years regardless of the vehicle or the km's.