PDA

View Full Version : Flights to Hong Kong

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
What is the best airline to take to Hong Kong? I want something that will be reasonably priced but still a good quality airline considering the length of the flight.

infected
07-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Anything but AC.

SilverRex
07-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by infected
Anything but AC.

+1

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:16 PM
How is American Airlines? - if any of you have flown with them

Redlyne_mr2
07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
there is an asian airline out there that flies to HK right from Van.. super super cheap and new planes. Maybe someone on here can remember the name of it, if not pm girlracer, she's in Hk right now and used them for her travels.

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 01:22 PM
cathay pacific, has a sale right now. i believe its $899 round trip which is super fricken cheap right now. you should go check out the website.

SilverRex
07-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
cathay pacific, has a sale right now. i believe its $899 round trip which is super fricken cheap right now. you should go check out the website.

your kidding me, that is like... cheaper than when it was SARs back then.

dam I gota check this out

Team_Mclaren
07-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
there is an asian airline out there that flies to HK right from Van.. super super cheap and new planes. Maybe someone on here can remember the name of it, if not pm girlracer, she's in Hk right now and used them for her travels.

oasis

AC wasnt THAT bad, UA was worse for me

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far.
I looked into Cathay and the flight I need is $899, that's awesome, thanks!
Have you ever flown with them?

Impreza
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
My buddy took Oasis to HK in June and said he knows why it is soo cheap now. The plane was a fucking POS haha. BUt if you don't mind that, then Oasis is a good choice. Keep in mind that they also have a much lower weight restriction for you luggage, so pack light unless u want to pay a penalty.

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
My buddy took Oasis to HK in June and said he knows why it is soo cheap now. The plane was a fucking POS haha. BUt if you don't mind that, then Oasis is a good choice. Keep in mind that they also have a much lower weight restriction for you luggage, so pack light unless u want to pay a penalty.

That could be a problem since I'm going to be away for 2 months.
Then again I don't want to lug around too much.

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

your kidding me, that is like... cheaper than when it was SARs back then.

dam I gota check this out

YYC to HK... $898 offer ends july 31.

Departure Dates: September 4 - November 30, 2007 (Transpacific segment)

Blackout Dates: December 15 - December 24, 2007 (Hong Kong to Vancouver only)

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

YYC to HK... $898 offer ends july 31.

Departure Dates: September 4 - November 30, 2007 (Transpacific segment)

Blackout Dates: December 15 - December 24, 2007 (Hong Kong to Vancouver only)

I'll be going in May and it gave me $899 for May as well...

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by ashee

I'll be going in May and it gave me $899 for May as well...

i dont quite get it...

here are the terms for this deal.

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_CA/offerspromotions/offerdetails?refID=8f82d3670feb3110VgnVCM32000011d21c39____

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Hmm strange...

clem24
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Hey Air Canada had a seat sale going on. My dad was able to book for $759 return before fees/taxes. Leaving in Oct some time.

You can also try www.oasishongkong.com. They have something rediculous like $299 one way, but that's from Hongcouver, so you'll need to find your own way there.

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 01:52 PM
you should just give them a call.

ashee
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I'll have to give them a call for sure.
Would the airlines know what shots and such you need?
I'll be going to Beijing and going through rural China as well.

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ashee
I'll have to give them a call for sure.
Would the airlines know what shots and such you need?
I'll be going to Beijing and going through rural China as well.

hep a/ b shots...

you can also just go ask your family doctor...he/ she will hook you up.

Machi
07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
ask your doctor, you're supposed to get 3 shots but i forgot what they were.. it cost me $110 or something for all shots before i went to china

clem24
07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
And don't forget... AC also gives Aeroplan miles. Round trip between YYC and HKG almost nets a free ticket to Hongcouver. Beware that the none of the lazy flight attendants will clean the bathroom, so by about the 8th hour mark, there's piss and dirty towels all over.

SilverGS
07-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Get your Heppatitus A+B Shots

AC - Crap
UA - Crap
Oasis - Cheap but probably not that good
Cathay - Very Good Usually
Singapore - Excellent but they fly out of San Fran and La only
AA - Should be okay

Machi
07-23-2007, 02:08 PM
i think you need your tetanus shot too

Euro838
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Cathay is worth the extra $$$. Singapore is good also but they usually do not have good times. AC really sucks and I think the flight attendants that fly trans-pacific are being played by a cruel joke or initiation. I know airine food isn't that good to start off with but it actually gets worse with AC! And they use Mr Noodles instead of the Nissin stuff.

SilverRex
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I have gone back to hk 5 times in the last 4 years and never had any issue, the only problem were the short flight from calgary to Vancouver via AC, stupid door jam made my miss my connect flight and was stranded in BC hotel for a night. Yes, even one night was like being in a prison especially when your so pumped going to hk the night before.

I totally go for cathy if you can get a deal like that.

:D

bksze
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Keep in mind that Cathay has less seat room than AC. I'm 6ft tall and I always try to fly AC despite the service and the food. Another good one is Evergreen Deluxe class, however that's an extra 4 hrs tacked onto the trip.

clem24
07-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by bksze
Keep in mind that Cathay has less seat room than AC. I'm 6ft tall and I always try to fly AC despite the service and the food. Another good one is Evergreen Deluxe class, however that's an extra 4 hrs tacked onto the trip.

Are they still using the A340-300? I think the flight is AC007. I swear they purposely use their most run down piece of crap to fly fron YVR to HKG.

Anyway, as for me, I think price and time are the #1 determining factor. If the food tastes like shit, ah well. So be it. I know I'll be eating very well in HK. I usually avoid their noodles. Those cup noodles make me sick. And the smell in the cabin when they serve those... :barf: I do find 80% of AC food tastes ok... Except for the rock hard bun.

I remember a time when AC used to serve ice cream and sushi (all you had to do was ring). They had oreo cookie sandwiches and other goodies. Ahh those were the days.

l/l/rX
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
man you guys and your airplane food stories. hahaha

i went to asia last year, i believe i took AC to HK, then korea air to korea from hk.

the food on all my flights were great! espicially on korea air. mmm mmm...HAHA

i've never had cup noodles on a flight before. its always been something microwaved like pasta or something.

mekeni
07-23-2007, 06:10 PM
as mentioned, also check Korean Air....

lilmira
07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Don't forget that you have to fly with Air Canada between Van and Calgary regardless. It usually isn't much of a problem connecting the flight to HK in Van but on the way back if there is any delay you may miss the flight back to Calgary. If you are with AC, you just have to wait for the next flight. I'm not sure if it would be a hassle if you are with other airlines.
AC's service sucks ass and the plane smells like piss. Cathay is a lot better. I haven't tried Oasis yet. These three airlines will fly with the shortest flight time. Other airlines will probably stop somewhere other than Van, like San Francisco.

Damn, I might go to HK in Oct. I'm tempted to book it now.

TomcoPDR
07-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Try Singapore or Jal airlines... either you can have a stop over in Japan or with Singapore they hire pretty young legal-age Asian girls :love: well they could be 30 looking like 20 yo's

Can you also get me some shaolin soccer sandals?

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Sandals.jpg