PDA

View Full Version : My Letter to Rogers AT&T regarding their horrible reception

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 09:52 AM
It was time.... I hate Rogers AT&T and I just signed on for another long two years.... :(

Hi,
Well here it goes. I have been a customer with your guys going on four years. My dad has been with you guys for over ten years and I have countless friends that were with you at one point in time. There is only one reason that I am still with Rogers AT&T and that is the fact that my cell phone # is on my business card. I would have switched over to telus or bell mobility a month after I got my cell phone if it wasn't for that.

The reason: Your reception and coverage area is absolutely horrible!

I cannot even get a call in my own house, which is in the south part of Calgary. I get cut off at all times of the day, in most areas of the city. I was driving near downtown Calgary once at the top of bow trail (which is a hill) and my phone cut out and died on me. I constantly don't even get calls..... they just appear as new voicemails while I am sitting right beside my phone. I thought that maybe if I bought a new phone that it would be a bit better , since it is on the GSM network.... well it was even worse than before. Now I have to walk out to the street instead of my front porch to receive calls at home. Whenever people are over at my house and their cell phones ring, I tell them that you will have to call them back because there is no reception. But then I forget that no one I know is on Rogers anymore, and when they pick up their phones, even in my basement, they get crystal clear reception because they are with telus or bell.

One thing you have to realize is that you are losing business over this matter.

A friend of our families just canceled 6 cell phone plans with you guys and went to bell. The reason: Cell phones dont work in their house.

My employer, the City of Calgary, would be inclined to use Rogers AT&T. They have at any given time over 1000 phones that are used on a daily basis, and they are with telus. The reason: They cannot get the reception needed to carry out the day to day tasks in the subdivisions on the edge of the city.

All of my business contacts are NOT with Rogers AT&T for the same reason. It is quite embarassing when making an important phone call to be cut off, or to have to ask repeatedly for the person to repeat what they have just said.

I am hopefull that you will be doing something about this matter before the Rogers AT&T wireless division goes under. The examples above are only the tip of the iceberg. People I know who are on Rogers are counting down the days until their contract is over so they can switch their provider..... and they all have the same complaint; and take a wild guess as to what that is.

Is it really that bad you may ask? Yes. It is bad enough that I have taken the time out of my day to be angry about it and want to throw my cell phone into the river. I pay good money for my cell phone service and I can get the same plan at telus.

So for your benefit and mine, it would be wise to confront this problem before the rest of your customers jump ship because of poor service/reception.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

You can reply to this email with your response

sexualbanana
06-24-2003, 09:59 AM
I've been with Rogers for 6 years and I've never had reception problems.

TrevorK
06-24-2003, 10:01 AM
If your letter is intended to get something out of this, or get out of your contract, I don't think it has a chance of working.

If it is intended to expand service, it won't work either. Roger's is expanding GSM, but starting down east first from what I've heard users down there say.

I have a GSM rogers too, and it blows. But you/I are stuck with it because we NEED our numbers since they're already published. And it'll never get better for at LEAST a couple years.

TrevorK
06-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I've been with Rogers for 6 years and I've never had reception problems.

You don't use GSM, you use TDMA. That's why.

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 10:04 AM
I am not really trying to get anything out of this except for maybe creating some awareness for them..... maybe so that they can open their eyes and see the people running away from them. Its not like I want a free month of internet or something.

Maybe I will just keep sending in those reception complaints on their website until they build a tower in my fuckin front yard!

But I had to say something..... even an explanation of why telus and bell have way better service would suffice (they share the same newtorks).

TrevorK
06-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
I am not really trying to get anything out of this except for maybe creating some awareness for them..... maybe so that they can open their eyes and see the people running away from them. Its not like I want a free month of internet or something.

Maybe I will just keep sending in those reception complaints on their website until they build a tower in my fuckin front yard!

But I had to say something..... even an explanation of why telus and bell have way better service would suffice (they share the same newtorks).

I hear ya.

I think you're right - I'm gonna start calling in more and more, bitching about dropped calls and shit. Who knows - maybe you'll start getting credited for dropped calls or something.

I have to take my phone in for warranty work - my warranty is almost up and I need my firmware flashed, and Roger's won't tell me a dealer in the city that'll do it for me.

Which means I'll be back on an old TDMA phone. Which means that I might end up selling my 8390 then if my TDMA performs well....

atomic
06-24-2003, 10:09 AM
fyi: spell checker

good letter . i'm with rogers and surprisingly i get better reception then my friends with telus . might be my phone

TrevorK
06-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by atomic
fyi: spell checker

good letter . i'm with rogers and surprisingly i get better reception then my friends with telus . might be my phone

What phone? TDMA or GSM?

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
I found this on the rogers site

https://www.shoprogers.com/contact/CSFeedbackCellular.asp?shopperID=

bol
06-24-2003, 10:24 AM
I had worse reception with my Rogers TDMA then I did with my GSM phone. I've been fairly happy with my V60g on Rogers.

atomic
06-24-2003, 10:41 AM
nokia 3590 . GSM

Link to phone info (http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/content/phones/Phone_Details.asp?shopperID=QJPQM5JBLWS92G9F00JP4A9RVMCT2S03&name=Nokia+3590&number=40)

it's a grea tphone . i've had it for ~4 months . never once has it lost signal in town or around town . and i even use it in my basement .. i don't actually have my own house line . so it gets used A LOT ..

redx2nv
06-24-2003, 10:47 AM
rogers fucking sucks, i have the samsung a520 and i get wicked reception...rogers does not work anywhere in edmonton!

rage2
06-24-2003, 10:51 AM
hehe I was on Rogers TDMA for nearly 10 years myself. I switch from Telus because of high prices and poor service. I was "stuck" with Rogers for that long because of my number... 830-1234. Everyone remembers that number, it was used for business, etc. I sent out letters, called their customer support, everything you've done, and nothing. When I disconnected the service, I got cut off 3 times before I could successfully end the service :).

I finally switched back to Telus about 3 years ago, and it's 100x better. Almost no dropped calls, every call that comes in actually rings my phone (more than 1/2 of my roger's calls went straight to voicemail), and people can hear me talk! It's like night and day!

I heard Roger's GSM is better, but you guys that praise Roger's GSM (or even Fido GSM) should give Telus CDMA a try... it's that much better reception wise.

sillyd
06-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Haha, everyone i know with rogers just hates it. As you said, terrible reception, constant dropped calls, etc. Keep complaining!

B17a
06-24-2003, 10:54 AM
Well sounds like nothing has changed at Rogers, had them at least 6 years ago, lived in Woodbine, and was absolutely useless. I might as well have talked into a tin can and some string, probably would have had better reception! :) I'm with Telus now, no complaints but I might have to switch to Bell. Any thoughts on Bell?

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by B17a
Well sounds like nothing has changed at Rogers, had them at least 6 years ago, lived in Woodbine, and was absolutely useless. I might as well have talked into a tin can and some string, probably would have had better reception! :) I'm with Telus now, no complaints but I might have to switch to Bell. Any thoughts on Bell?

lol... so true.... I know a bunch of people there that dont get reception....

Thats the same as where I am in Mckenzie.... the main street does not have reception and either does anywhere inside of my house.

Ben
06-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Heh, what you have written is not uncommon. I love how people when shopping for a phone ONLY look at price. Sure Telus may be a bit more per month (5 bucks) but look at the superior coverage you get. Having the Nations largest network doesn't come cheap. I absolutly hate calling people who I know are on rogers, its like trying to talk to them on $20 dollar Zellers special walkie talkies.

Altezza
06-24-2003, 11:15 AM
I'm on Fido..have been for years with little complaints. I get reception where Rogers and Telus falter. The reception on Fido out in eastern Canada is incredible. I travel a lot so GSM is definately the answre for me.

edit: I used to be on Rogers as well and I wrote a LONG-ASS bitch letter (years ago) and got a whole crap-load of free stuff and services.

rage2
06-24-2003, 11:36 AM
I've heard Fido and Roger's GSM is really good out east. In Alberta though, Telus CDMA still owns in coverage.

Shaolin
06-24-2003, 11:48 AM
hey Mckenzie what area do you live in? I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if you have to repost.. could it be a problem with your new T720? I'm in the SE and I get reception all the time.. I have the Nokia 8390 and it seems to work fine.. although when I'm at the freaken Uni I don't get ANY reception no matter where I am on that campus.

rice_eater
06-24-2003, 11:56 AM
nicely said coleo :thumbsup: Every time i call and complain about the reception they bitch at ME coz how don't i realize that when there's a lot of people using the network it may be harder to place a call or keep a call going. I mean WTF??? :banghead: But what are you supposed to do? My telus used to be great for reception ANYWHERE but they always found a fucked up way to screw me over on the bills...even hurt ass Fido was crystal clear all over as long as you never left the city :D Is bell the only choice left?

Hash_man
06-24-2003, 12:07 PM
I'm with Telus now, no complaints but I might have to switch to Bell. Any thoughts on Bell?

Telus and bell are the same network, telus owns bell... so either one will give you great service.

My whole family has telus phones, maybe because my dad works for telus, but we barely ever have reception problems or anything like that, unlike my friends on rogers, especially when they come to woodbine. And one time the rogers network was too busy they said, so for a whole night I could not get ahold of anyone on rogers.

The only issue I have had with telus, is my damn phone. It is the telus Sony Ericson phone, and it is pure Crap. I sent the phone back to get fixed because after having it for lie 3 months, it decided it wouldnt ring... and now it still does the same thing, and according to the telus dealer i got it from, they have other customers witht the same phone and endless problems as well.

Ben
06-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Telus does NOT own Bell...

Telus allows Bell to Leech off their lines and same goes the opposite down east.

Weapon_R
06-24-2003, 12:55 PM
I have tried a number of phones, but it makes no difference.

Nokia 8390
Motorola V60
Nokia 3590
Nokia 8260
Ericsson T39

All of these phones have had poor reception where I live. I always get the "Your phone sucks" crap whenever I talk to someone. No one realizes that it's not really the phone, but the shitty reception. I've also written a letter to them today stating that my contract will not be renewed because of their poor service if something is not done. Hopefully if enough of us write to them, we can coax them into upgrading their towers or increasing their numbers. The sad reality is that Rogers MUST take these complaints into account because they are very serious. There is not a single person I know that still uses the Rogers network voluntarily. I will not be renewing either. The only reason I used them was the cheap contracts and awesome phone number I got (same as my house #, minus the first three digits).

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin
hey Mckenzie what area do you live in? I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if you have to repost.. could it be a problem with your new T720? I'm in the SE and I get reception all the time.. I have the Nokia 8390 and it seems to work fine.. although when I'm at the freaken Uni I don't get ANY reception no matter where I am on that campus.

I live in Mckenzie Lake actually. The T720 has much better reception than the Nokia 3360 (ie. clearer calls), but it still craps the bed in the same spots so I dont think it is the phone.

And I know what you are saying about the Uni..... that place is like the nuclear fall out center of Calgary. Nothin in and nothin out.

But good responses guys..... I thought I was the only person who was having problems with Rogers.

Everyone who is on rogers should bombard them with email complaints to see if they will fix the problem.

Also, go to that link in my last post. You can complain about certain areas of the city with that page.

AccordTypeR
06-24-2003, 02:02 PM
rogers sucks so much :banghead: I dont get reseption on my house sometimes. I live in breaside(sw), and most of the time i get reseption, but if i venture off to woodbine, southcenter,chinook, and most other places around town i dont get reseption. I hate rogers so much and i still have another year and a half before i can get rid of them. :banghead: I cant wait to switch!:thumbsdow

B17a
06-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by AccordTypeR
rogers sucks so much :banghead: I dont get reseption on my house sometimes. I live in breaside(sw), and most of the time i get reseption, but if i venture off to woodbine, southcenter,chinook, and most other places around town i dont get reseption. I hate rogers so much and i still have another year and a half before i can get rid of them. :banghead: I cant wait to switch!:thumbsdow

Not trying to nit-pick but its really bothering me, R-e-c-e-p-t-i-o-n. Thanks.

EG STyLeZ
06-24-2003, 03:01 PM
yep it's true. rogers has the worst reception in the world.

KoukiS14
06-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Now that you all mention this, I too have been having problems. Only recently though. I used to be able to talk, send and receive calls in my house. For some unseen reason I can't now.

I am on Rogers and im using a GSM phone. What gives here?

Ajay
06-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Roger's tends to spend more money on thier phones and creating rate plans that customers would like. I can't tell you how many times people come into my dealership and if we don't have a certain phone they're looking for cause it's "small and cute" they'll go to Roger's and get it.

Good luck with that...signing into a contract is just more than getting a phone. You're getting the service. Telus spends alot of time and money upgrading their networks and making them more reliable.

Ben
06-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Ajay...everyone is obsessed with phones and wanting them to be cute and cuddly and small and flashy with lots of colors...what good is a kick ass phone if you get no coverage to use the thing?

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 05:02 PM
I used Telus TDMA back in '94 and the reception and sound quality sucked so badly, I went back to analogue!

Telus CDMA is so much better in terms of reception. However, analogue mode still sound more natural to me, even today.

Hash_man
06-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Telus does NOT own Bell...

Telus allows Bell to Leech off their lines and same goes the opposite down east.

No, they are they same company, more of a merger type thing. My dad was very involved in the merger in the west.

But ya, i totally agree with Ajay too, because a phone is a phone.. and the main part of having a phone is being able to use it and make phone calls. And on a fancy phone from rogers, this is a rare occasion.

Ben
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man

No, they are they same company, more of a merger type thing. My dad was very involved in the merger in the west.

HAHAHAHA
Just one second, I'm going to call my Boss, Darren Entwistle and ask him.

Altezza
06-24-2003, 05:37 PM
merger?? uh, I think not...

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 06:33 PM
My friend just got a new phone, cause he was sick of no reception with rogers....He had some new hi-tech phone u guys are prolly talkin about...and he gets no reception, i'd be right beside him, i'd have full, he'd have none...i think the plans are similar, if not, pretty close, and once again, u get what u pay for

Hash_man
06-24-2003, 06:54 PM
haha, sorry ben, I stand corrected. You were right. I wa thinking of another company, and i don't remember the name, but i dont know how i got bell mixed up in there.

Fluidic
06-24-2003, 07:04 PM
I love my Rogers GSM Motorola phone. Zero problems. Period.

Peter

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
haha, sorry ben, I stand corrected. You were right. I wa thinking of another company, and i don't remember the name, but i dont know how i got bell mixed up in there.

You're probably thinking of clearNET.

Fuji
06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
had all three and telus is hands down better.

Weapon_R
06-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Well here is the typical form letter response I got from them...

Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Rogers AT&T Wireless. We
appreciate this opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention the difficulties
you have experienced with your wireless service. Please accept our
apologies for any frustration or inconvenience you have experienced.

We appreciate hearing from our customers, and thank you for your
comments and feedback. Our customers' opinions are of utmost importance
to us and we take any feedback that we receive, very seriously. We
would like to assure you that your comments and opinions are going to be
forwarded to our network department for further investigation.

Again, we would like to thank you for your feedback, as it is a very
important asset to our company that continues to contribute to our
company's overall success.

We hope we were able to assist you. If our E-mail did not completely
answer your questions or you would like further assistance please feel
free to contact us again.

For future reference with respect to this e-mail, please quote reference
number 1976428.

Regards,
Jeris L.
Rogers Online Customer Care

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Regards,
Jeris L.

You just know how low he is on the totem pole when he doesn't sign his full name. :D

If they have an anonymous grunt responding with a form letter, that goes to show how unimportant you are.

Shaolin
06-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Ahh yes, templated feedbacks, doubt anything will be done.

Mckenzie
06-24-2003, 10:17 PM
haha... I just got my probably automated response..

Dear Cole,

Thank you for using our email service.

We certainly regret any inconvenience which you have experienced and we do appreciate your comments. RogersAT&T Wireless actually has the widest and most reliable network of any cellular provider;

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/content/moreabout/Coverage_AB_0
2-2003.pdf.

We have more than twice the digital network coverage of Telus and Bell Mobility and we add more on an ongoing basis. It is unfortunate if our network is not meeting your expectations but please be assured that it is not for lack of trying on our part. As our network continues to expand and improve we can only hope that you come to have a better opinion of it.

We appreciate your continuing patronage. Please contact us at your convenience if you have any further inquiries.

For future reference with respect to this e-mail, please quote
reference number 1971527.

Regards,
Mark P.

DSM Power
06-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Regards,
Jeris L.
$5 says there is no such person working there either. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, Telus' analog coverage in the SE sucked hard for years - and has only improved in the last 2 or 3. It takes time to get the coverage going... and of course that's assuming the company is even trying. :banghead:

Weapon_R
06-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

$5 says there is no such person working there either. :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel better, Telus' analog coverage in the SE sucked hard for years - and has only improved in the last 2 or 3. It takes time to get the coverage going... and of course that's assuming the company is even trying. :banghead:

The problems with analog are known, but come on, I am in a very well established area (ie - it's not new to calgary or on the outskirts) and Rogers is pretty much all digital around major urban centers anyways. And for them to ignore their coverage problems with McKenzie's letter is also complete bullshit. It seems as though they just told him that they are the best and that's the way it's going to be.

Shaolin
06-24-2003, 10:29 PM
if it wasn't for the cool phones that Rogers offer, I wouldn't be with them.. (HINT AT TELUS) :thumbsup:

topher91
06-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Ya, I used to be with Fido and now I'm with Rogers.......:thumbsdow I'm also very dissappointed in their reception in the city. Cant even talk to my girlfriend without it cutting out every minute:banghead: When my damn contract is up, I'm going elsewhere for my cell phone.

CRXguy
06-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Fido has been great for me, except between Airdrie and Edmonton. :nut:

Strider
06-25-2003, 01:28 AM
i wrote a complaint letter to the rogers a little while ago regarding billing issues... they didn't even write me back, but when I called, they acknowledged that they did receive the letter. But I did finally get my money back + a little something for my troubles.

Abom
06-25-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
if it wasn't for the cool phones that Rogers offer, I wouldn't be with them.. (HINT AT TELUS) :thumbsup:

Telus has a full color LCD flip phone from Samsung. Why is that not cool enough? :dunno:

Ben
06-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Abom

Telus has a full color LCD flip phone from Samsung. Why is that not cool enough? :dunno:

yeah, no doubt, I like my phone..

Start Vid (http://www.psylence.com/Junk/Cell/cellstart.avi)

http://www.psylence.com/Junk/Cell/001.jpg
http://www.psylence.com/Junk/Cell/002.jpg
http://www.psylence.com/Junk/Cell/004.jpg

Abom
06-25-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Ben
yeah, no doubt, I like my phone..

Yeah I have the same phone as you, cept mine's the non-color model. I chose the blue back-lit one cause of battery reasons, otherwise I would have gone for the color one :thumbsup: Either way, I don't see what's so "un-cool" about Telus phones? :dunno:

TrevorK
06-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Strider
i wrote a complaint letter to the rogers a little while ago regarding billing issues... they didn't even write me back, but when I called, they acknowledged that they did receive the letter. But I did finally get my money back + a little something for my troubles.

This is one thing I've never had problems with.

At first, they weren't giving me my minutes for pre-authorized debit, which they credited back right away.

And, after about 1 year with them (on my old phone - kicking myself for letting it go), I called to change something, and I could NEVER go over my plan's minutes. I'd used 300 daytime, but for some reason my 200 minute daytime plan wouldn't care about the extra 100 to bill me for.

Mckenzie
06-25-2003, 09:49 AM
One thing that tripped me out about that response is that I got it at 10:30 last night, like it went through some automated machine and just got spit out whenever my number came up.

FUCK ROGERS:poosie: :thumbsdow :banghead: :bullshit: :devil: :barf: :guns:

Shaolin
06-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Abom

I like telus phones, there's just not enough choices, it's like everyone through telus has the same phone you know? that's what I really meant, sorry for confusing ya.