PDA

View Full Version : ITR in the snow?

sillyd
06-24-2003, 11:47 AM
I'm sure this question will upset many of you, but i am quite serious. How is an ITR in winter? I'm considering buying one but i would have to drive it all year round. This includes driving to the mtns to go snowboarding. I heard they rev really high on the highway. Is driving one to Van. and other highway trips a bad idea? Am i crazy?

B17a
06-24-2003, 11:50 AM
As long as you've got a decent set of winter tires I don't see why not? I drive my teg in the winter. Not sure what you mean by high revving on the highway? And last time I checked any car worth its salt should damn well better be able to hold up on a trip to Vancouver, especially one that is 25G's+.

littledan
06-24-2003, 11:52 AM
itr should be no problem for the winter. just like any other car make sure you have some good winter tires on

E36M3
06-24-2003, 11:53 AM
If you're smart enough to put winter tires on it, it will be as good or better than 99% of the cars on the road.

I can't imagine that highway speeds would be that much of an issue.. aren't you buying the ITR *because* of the high revving? It wouldn't be that high on the freeway in top gear.. I would probably be in 4th most of the time in order to maximize revs.. but if you are trying to save gas, that is what the top gear is for.

Originally posted by sillyd
I'm sure this question will upset many of you, but i am quite serious. How is an ITR in winter? I'm considering buying one but i would have to drive it all year round. This includes driving to the mtns to go snowboarding. I heard they rev really high on the highway. Is driving one to Van. and other highway trips a bad idea? Am i crazy?

GTS Jeff
06-24-2003, 12:11 PM
i think he is referring to hte short gearing of 5th gear..

bksze
06-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I think you'll have the most fun out of an ITR in the mountains. As for any FWD car, get some good winter rubber and you'll be fine.

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by bksze
I think you'll have the most fun out of an ITR in the mountains. As for any FWD car, get some good winter rubber and you'll be fine.

Yep, and get them on all 4 corners.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 06:29 PM
ITR reves around 3100rpm at 100-110km/h...for that car its the norm...u will burn same amount of gas as a trans am in 6th reving at 1200...its a little 4 its meant for it, and with a good set of winters, you should have good traction, if not awsome...just gotta know how to drive in the winter

sillyd
06-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys. You're helping to reassure me. Most of my friends said they'd beat me down if i dared to drive a type r to the mtns in winter. Looks like i will either buy this or keep looking for a sweet gsr.

My main concerns for winter driving come from the stiff suspension and low ride height. Need to keep the car out of the ditch know what i mean...

And the gearing is so low that i have heard repeatedly that sustained speeds of 130k+ will be very hard on the engine over time.

What about maintenance costs, is it really much more expensive? Driving rough gravel roads (it's fun)? Anything else i should know?

Thanks for your input, hope to make a decision soon.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 06:48 PM
If ur on a gravel road, drive it like its a ferrari, at about 20-30km or u can scratch rims from rocks + u wont get alot of traction...at about 145-150 vtec might be kicking in, or just about too, that long periods of time might not be good
but its a high revving engine, its built for it
maintenance, not sure, maybe full synthetic, i'm reading 2000 integ type r thing right now, just says it uses 4.8L of oil, 50L gas tank, super premium of course, its an inch lower than a gsr i believe, the stock ones, so hiieght should be fine,.

if ur gonna drive a gsr in the winter, u might as well drive a type r

Just make sure its prepped for winter and all, 4cyl are good in winter, easy to start, dont hafta worry about it not starting...Integs are pretty practical cars, even the type r...that the good thing about fwd...

Friends beating u down? whatever, just point out, how u can drive ur nice sports car, year round....as long as u keep it clean, not letting any rust form, i dont see the problem with it...How old r u anyways...those comments about beating u down, sounds for some reason like u have young friends...i dunno, hope some of that helps

redx2nv
06-24-2003, 07:07 PM
<----Drove mine for two months of winter, it had good tires on it so you should be fine..

Its a VERY practical car up to 5600 rpm, then its a screamer:nut:

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Regular washes help keep your paint in good shape.

Be sure you have a good coat of wax before winter. Stays clean longer and makes it easier to wash. Waxing the wheels reduces brake dust buildup.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 07:48 PM
yep
only problem u might face is brutal rock chips...for that, u could do a few things...get a stock bumper for winter, even a wreked one would do, but wouldnt cover hood, or get like that 3m covering or whatever its called.

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Armourfend / 3M ClearBra

Rest of the pics (http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/779654.phtml)

http://ctny.a4.org/mark/s4/armourfend/dsc01835.jpg

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 08:41 PM
yeah. Its a good investment, especially if you drive in winter time...just get front end and hood done, should be good, cant really protect windshield, so be prepared for rock chips, and to get em filled quickly afterwords...my car had no cracks for 7 years, driven in winter everytime...until recently, a tree kinda took out the windshield

redx2nv
06-24-2003, 08:44 PM
just get type r bra for your kaaa

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Stay off Deerfoot in the winter if you can. Too many rocks and other shit falling from trucks.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 08:48 PM
yeah, but if hes heading up to the mountains with it, its like deerfoot, times 10...i drive hwy 1 almost everyday, and its a shit show when it comes to rocks...even in mid may it was still bad...really bad at gettin street cleaners out there

silvercivicsir
06-25-2003, 12:33 AM
Have you Ever driven a Type r ? Dude Try more like 3500 rpm @ 100 kph and 4000 Rpm @ 110.

Originally posted by ryder_23
ITR reves around 3100rpm at 100-110km/h...for that car its the norm...u will burn same amount of gas as a trans am in 6th reving at 1200...its a little 4 its meant for it, and with a good set of winters, you should have good traction, if not awsome...just gotta know how to drive in the winter

Paul
06-25-2003, 10:51 AM
THEY SUCK ASS!!! I drove my ITR for the last 2 winters and won't be driving it this winter. During the winter i live and go to school in Lethbridge and come home a lot of weekends. Highway driving sux, the car is too light in the rear and i've thrown mine in the ditch once too. Buy a winter beater and you'll be fine.

PS i had amazing winter tires (z rated with the crushed walnut shells in the tread) and they still didn't make a lick of difference.

E36M3
06-25-2003, 10:58 AM
It seems really strange that it was light in the rear.. are you sure that you didn't have any suspension issues? You may want to put some dead weight back there to stabilize it if there aren't any suspension issues.. sand bags seem to do the trick.

Originally posted by Paul
THEY SUCK ASS!!! I drove my ITR for the last 2 winters and won't be driving it this winter. During the winter i live and go to school in Lethbridge and come home a lot of weekends. Highway driving sux, the car is too light in the rear and i've thrown mine in the ditch once too. Buy a winter beater and you'll be fine.

PS i had amazing winter tires (z rated with the crushed walnut shells in the tread) and they still didn't make a lick of difference.

max_boost
06-25-2003, 01:56 PM

Dude....that sounds whack:dunno:
There are S2K guys driving around the Calgary winter and none of them complain?:dunno:

And I would imagine the S2k being a tougher car to drive than the ITR in the snow.

Altezza
06-25-2003, 02:13 PM

I know 2 people who drive Type-Rs in the winter with ZERO complaints.

There's your problem...Z-rated winters.

Paul
06-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

I know 2 people who drive Type-Rs in the winter with ZERO complaints.

There's your problem...Z-rated winters.

anything less and it's not stiff enough. I had other rated winter tires on there and it felt like the ass end was always out of control at higher speeds. Trust me...i drive one.

B17a
06-25-2003, 02:57 PM

I had other rated winter tires on there and it felt like the ass end was always out of control at higher speeds. .

Maybe there's your problem, driving too fast.:dunno: I'm sure some sandbags or some fat friends in the back would cure that back end slippage!:D

Glenn 328is
06-25-2003, 04:29 PM
I had a GSR for three years and it was awesome in the snow and on ice. But you NEED winter tires. Highway driving was great too. I lived for the high revs. If you are having trouble driving in the winter, take some winter driving courses. They help immensely. And never brake on a curve......

Altezza
06-25-2003, 04:43 PM

anything less and it's not stiff enough. I had other rated winter tires on there and it felt like the ass end was always out of control at higher speeds. Trust me...i drive one.

I drive fine with my RWD w/ winters and the IS is notorious for being bad in the snow. I think you need to slow down in the winter. You're just asking for it with snow/ice/gravel on the road.

bksze
06-25-2003, 04:56 PM
this should be able to answer your question . . . haha courtesty of buh_buh

Originally posted by buh_buh
it should be no problem man, I drove last winter with summer tires, lowered (don't know how much, but I was tucking), and with a kit, and I didn't get stuck once. :)

that's on a 5th gen prelude

I haven't gone through a winter with my ITR yet and even in my 4th gen lude, i barely drove it in the winter. Spent most of winter sitting in the shop but the few times I did take it out, I had no problems, albeit, you must drive accordingly. Which means, no 5000rpm launches and such and you should be fine. That being the case, I am totally looking fwd to this winter.

If you do buy an ITR, you'll love to drive it in the winter, or anytime for that matter. It's one of the funnest cars to drive. Very very tossable

cocoabrova
06-25-2003, 04:58 PM
I drove mine during the last two winters and never had any major probs. First winter was with Pirelli winters, and second was on Michelin XGT's (all-season). I even drove to Vancouver with the Pirelli's during that winter. When I drove to Vancouver during the summer in the ITR, the ONLY thing I missed was cruise.....Other than that the car was perfect for the various types of roads/driving:thumbsup: