PDA

View Full Version : Got off easy cuz I'm a girl?

preludegrl
06-24-2003, 01:05 PM
So I'm driving back to Calgary from Edmonton on Hwy 2 and I'm just passing Red Deer. I take a look in my rearview and I see a cop practically tailgating me. Thankfully I'm going 115km/h so I figure i'm alright. I'm maintaining this speed thinking it's ok... until I see the cop turn on his lights. I pull over and I roll my front windows all the way down hoping he won't see my front tint. See the thing is, is that I bought my car a month ago (a used 2001 protege mp3) and the previous owner decided to tint the front windows. The owner said if I wanted the tint removed, I could set up an appointment with his friend to get them removed for free. Problem was that his shop was only open on the weekdays and I only go back to edmonton on the weekends. So I decided to take my chances with the tinted windows until I could make it to edmonton on a weekday. Anyhoo, the cop comes up to me and says: You were going 119km/h in a 110 zone and it's illegal to have your front windows tinted. So he said he was going to remove the tint right now with a razor. So sitting on the roadside of Hwy 2, there I am, pulling the tint off my windows. By the end of it, he was pretty much joking with me and he said he wouldn't give me a ticket for either offenses but that he would only give me a warning.

I guess I was lucky that I got away without any tickets and only glue residue on my window. I'm also lucky that I didn't run into a cop at any other time because I was easily going 130km/h... i just slowed down at that point because someone cut me off.

So what do you guys think? should I be happy that I have two X chromosomes or was that pretty much the norm?

davidI
06-24-2003, 01:22 PM
usually they'll give you the choice of ripping the tint off on the spot or else giving you a ticket. Probably helps that you're a girl but you never know.

Weapon_R
06-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by davidI
usually they'll give you the choice of ripping the tint off on the spot or else giving you a ticket. Probably helps that you're a girl but you never know.

If that were the case, i'd take the ticket. No amount of money is going to make me sit on the side of traffic and take off the tint while the cop is watching.

Khyron
06-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Actually as much as it amazes me I think you got hit harder because you're a girl. They NEVER tag you for going 10 over on the highway unless they really are looking for something else. I was driving back on the 1 from BC and got laser'd doing 127 (cruise set) - cop didn't even bother coming after me.

Both tint tickets I've gotten have been cheap 35 dollar tickets - I'll pay 70/year tint tax if that's what it takes.

Khyron

preludegrl
06-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Actually as much as it amazes me I think you got hit harder because you're a girl. They NEVER tag you for going 10 over on the highway unless they really are looking for something else. I was driving back on the 1 from BC and got laser'd doing 127 (cruise set) - cop didn't even bother coming after me.

Both tint tickets I've gotten have been cheap 35 dollar tickets - I'll pay 70/year tint tax if that's what it takes.

Khyron

Well he said the tint tickets are now $175 and if I were to have gotten a ticket for going 9kms over, it would have been $70...

Khyron
06-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Just called the police service - the lady said the tint tickets are between 55 and 65 dollars now depending on what you have.

And while there is a law for even 1 km over the limit, any ticket that is for less than 10% of the speedlimit is almost always thrown out due to inaccuracies in speedometers and radar/lasers. That's why even the money grubbing multinovas don't tag speeders in 50 zones until they are over 59.

I really think your cop was after you for something else. Maybe your phone number? :bigpimp:

Khyron

preludegrl
06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
55 to 65?? really?... I had my front three windows tinted... so maybe that made a difference?... or maybe the cop was just bsing. Hahaha. a phone number??? HOPEFULLY NOT.

Khyron
06-24-2003, 05:14 PM
You have your windshield tinted? http://www.nexus-point.net/icons/sly.gif

Khyron

topher91
06-24-2003, 05:32 PM
I'd make the cop take it off....

cocoabrova
06-24-2003, 05:33 PM

Khyron Probably just a brow:dunno:
You shouldn't have to remove the brow on the w/s, as long as it wasn't tinted halfway down..... Depending on how dark the fronts are tinted, cops will either give the same choice you were given, or just give a warning:thumbsup:

Seanith
06-24-2003, 05:52 PM
yeah fuck that shit..if my fronts were tinted i wouldn't take it off.. pay the ticket and let them go fuck themselves.

redline_13000
06-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
yeah fuck that shit..if my fronts were tinted i wouldn't take it off.. pay the ticket and let them go fuck themselves.

:werd:

GTS Jeff
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by preludegrl

Well he said the tint tickets are now $175 and if I were to have gotten a ticket for going 9kms over, it would have been $70... the cp drops any ticket less than 15-over

DSM Power
06-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I think you got hosed. But it sounds like you wanted to take the front tint off anyways. :dunno:

preludegrl
06-24-2003, 11:18 PM

Khyron

Yup, it was only the brow. Only came down to where the sun visor was, so it shouldn't have been a problem. WTF.

And yes, it wasn't exactly a big deal because I was going to get them removed eventually... but it sucks that now I have to go and get a bottle of nail polish remover and finish off the job the cop started.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Happened to a friend, cop was a total ass, he didnt have his insurance papers on him either...so they towed his car, and yes its possible, its happend to another friend of mine too..., my friends sister was driving same car, few months after, tint wasnt removed, cops didnt take it off or anything, but didnt have insurance papers for some reason, must run in the family, they had insurance tho, needless to say, tits change alot, :thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
06-25-2003, 12:10 PM
ya im sure he was going to meet you at his friends shop and "lecture" you on your offense

Abom
06-25-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm curious how he knew you were 119 km/h? Don't radar guns need to be sationary to take an accurate speed reading? :dunno:

Ben
06-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Abom
I'm curious how he knew you were 119 km/h? Don't radar guns need to be sationary to take an accurate speed reading? :dunno:

Nope, some take into account the speed and direction of the vehicle in which they are mounted in.

B17a
06-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Abom

Nope, laser has to. You'll notice most RCMP cars have front and rear radar guns mounted in the cars, they can be driving on one side of the road and clock you coming at them or coming up behind them.

Abom
06-25-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by B17a
Nope, laser has to. You'll notice most RCMP cars have front and rear radar guns mounted in the cars, they can be driving on one side of the road and clock you coming at them or coming up behind them.

I see, hence the full K band warnings I get off RCMP cruisers. Thanks for the heads up!! :thumbsup:

three.eighteen.
06-29-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
the cp drops any ticket less than 15-over

well shit i got clocked in my weed man truck at 16 over just today

90CivicDX
06-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by topher91
I'd make the cop take it off....

Originally posted by ~$eanith~

LOl thats some big talk on the board but i doubt it would happen like that in real life. There are lots or ways to avoid a ticket as well as aviod pulling off the tint.

K271
06-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Even a brow is illegal, you're not suppose to have anything on the front windshield as it may "impair vision". Or some BS like that. I got ticketed for my brow once. I got a two warnings for my tint but that was in the city, I've heard about cops being harder on tint on the stretch from Calgary to Edmonton.

RiceCake
06-29-2003, 11:14 AM
WTF? Don't a lot of cars come with the front brow tinted?

FiveFreshFish
06-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake
WTF? Don't a lot of cars come with the front brow tinted?

The factory tint at the top of the windshield is legal but it's quite subtle, at least on my car.

Dope Dealer
06-29-2003, 05:14 PM
How come undercover cop cars (The Crown Vics) are allowed to have all windows tinted?

You can always tell it's an undercover car if it's a Crown Vic with all windows tinted :rofl:

90CivicDX
06-29-2003, 05:34 PM
for the same reason they can have flashing red and blue lights. cause they are cops. its to protect the prisoner's privacy

K271
06-29-2003, 05:35 PM
factory tint is fine, after market isn't! simple as that