PDA

View Full Version : Car alarm options for Explorer Sport

jcirico
07-29-2007, 11:02 PM
So in regards to my previous thread about whether or not to go ahead with the purchase of a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport... I Did! And so far I'm loving it.

One question for you guys though. I'm looking into add-on accessories now. In particular a theft alarm. All the vehicle has for anti-theft is a coded key feature. So my question then is, how easy would it be to buy an alarm either 3rd party or Ford approved and have it coexist with everything else? Is there some sort of factory made installation area for an alarm option in this vehicle? I would like to avoid any huge installation job in putting an alarm in. It would also be nice to keep the same keyless entry keyfob functionality and have the coded key feature still work as well.
It doesn't really need to be any sophisticated 2way system, etc. Just something basic that honks the horn if doors are tampered with, etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

jcirico
07-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh, and one other question...

I've noticed even though the A/C blows nice and cold, the compressor likes to click in quite frequently and not exactly quietly. I'd expect the CLICKing noise every so often but it's once every 10-15 seconds when A/C or heater is on. Is this normal? Is this a sign that I need to have more refrigerant added, or could this be my first problem ;) .

Hemi RT
07-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jcirico
Oh, and one other question...

I've noticed even though the A/C blows nice and cold, the compressor likes to click in quite frequently and not exactly quietly. I'd expect the Clicking noise every so often but it's once every 10-15 seconds when A/C or heater is on. Is this normal? Is this a sign that I need to have more refrigerant added, or could this be my first problem ;) .

All the newer vehicles have what is called cyclic air, which means the compressor cycles on and off rather than like the old systems where the compressor stays on all the time the A/C is on. The reasoning behind this is that it saves engine power and thusly fuel. It should cycle no more than twice in a minute; if it cycling more than that it is usually a good sine that it may require a top up of refrigerant.

jcirico
07-30-2007, 09:08 AM
It should cycle no more than twice in a minute; if it cycling more than that it is usually a good sine that it may require a top up of refrigerant.
Yeah, I counted it at a steady click every 14 seconds. Big problem, or just low on refrigerant? But ultimately, is it abnormal?